Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
CateP

Default Car Trouble in Wolfeboro

Well it was bound to happen. I got my first flat tire in NH. (Looks like a nail.) I would change the tire myself, but it's raining and I have to work. So I called Subaru roadside service (came with the car) and they are sending someone all the way from Maine! I am currently in Wolfeboro and we have several service stations. I guess they don't have a contract with Subaru roadside assistance.

Now I am wondering if I should get another type of roadside assistance for this area. I used to belong to AAA. Is that what most people use up here?

Also wondering about places to buy tires if I need to. I used to buy at Sears.

And a good service station in Wolfeboro that could service my 2008 Subaru Forester.

Thanks in advance.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
NoBozo

The nearest Sears to Wolfeboro is in Rochester, and it's NOT a full size store, it's only a satellite store in the back of an obscure mall. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
winnisummergal

Default Service station in town

I have always had good service from the service/gas station next to Wolfeboro Oil and the grocery store (can't remember the name of it). I've had brake jobs, oil changes, tune ups, etc. My grandparents also used them for years, fair prices and good work. Good luck!
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Senter Cove Guy

Default Good Service Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnisummergal View Post
I have always had good service from the service/gas station next to Wolfeboro Oil and the grocery store (can't remember the name of it). I've had brake jobs, oil changes, tune ups, etc. My grandparents also used them for years, fair prices and good work. Good luck!
I had work done here twice last summer. Reliable and fair priced. Tink is the service manager.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
John A. Birdsall

Default aaa

while not in Wolfeboro, I locked the keys in my new truck, I am a member of AAA and called them and in 20 minutes I got my keys. Having someone come from Maine will take some time.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Heaven

I had the same issue with my manufacturer's roadside assistance. Sent someone from Laconia. My insurance also offers road service and my bet is that they would have had someone closer. We have 3 good towing outfits right close.
I have had service at Tinker's also and would recommend them. Also European Auto Werks especially for a foreign car, very fair and honest.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I had the same issue with my manufacturer's roadside assistance. Sent someone from Laconia. My insurance also offers road service and my bet is that they would have had someone closer. We have 3 good towing outfits right close.
I have had service at Tinker's also and would recommend them. Also European Auto Werks especially for a foreign car, very fair and honest.
Is the name of the service station Tinkers? I'm having a hard time finding it online. Driving on a doughnut now so have to be judicious in where I can go.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Heaven

Wolfeboro Irving 569-9883
AutoWerks 569-0804
The Following User Says Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
CateP (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Merrymeeting

While agreeing that someplace closer could probably handle it and use the business, I often forget that "someone from Maine" could be just on the other side of Rochester or Ossipie. Not that far if you are on the Alton or Wolfeboro side of the lake.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
While agreeing that someplace closer could probably handle it and use the business, I often forget that "someone from Maine" could be just on the other side of Rochester or Ossipie. Not that far if you are on the Alton or Wolfeboro side of the lake.
Actually the Subaru roadside service guy came all the way from Waterboro, ME. He said he enjoyed the ride and getting out of the shop, but it sure was long way to come to change a tire. (he did it in less than 10 minutes, it would have taken me a lot more time in the cold, hard rain of this day-I know, wimpy)
Old 12-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #11
Gearhead

Default Sal's

The best mechanic around Wolfeboro (especially if you've got a GM) is Sal. His garage and gas station is right in the heart of downtown. He's honest, and a downright good guy. He gets my GM work.

Cate, how do you like that Subaru? Is it good on gas? I had one a hundred years ago and it sounded like a VW beetle. The four-wheel drive was terrific but it had no power whatsoever!
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
sa meredith

Default ?????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Actually the Subaru roadside service guy came all the way from Waterboro, ME. He said he enjoyed the ride and getting out of the shop, but it sure was long way to come to change a tire. (he did it in less than 10 minutes, it would have taken me a lot more time in the cold, hard rain of this day-I know, wimpy)
This seems so completely bizzare to me. But then again, why would common sense get in the way of how America does business these days. It's probably a union thing. Scubadoo's (sic) closest "sub out" for a FLAT TIRE was in freakin' Maine????!!!!!! A flat tire was changed, in Wolfboro NH, by a guy, who drove down from Maine???!!! UUUmmmmm, yeah, OK. A guy drove 35/38 miles to change a flat??!! (google earth maps)
And, that being said, there was not a local gentleman co-worker or friend, to change out the tire? I would bet if it was a nail, the cost of the plug will have to be taken care of by Cate...20 bucks????...and that shop would probably reinstall the tire. As for driving on the donut Cate, you really could travel up to 100 miles, with no issue at all. And I really don't think I'd be all that fussy about where to go to remove a nail, and put the plug in. It requires little, if any skill. Any shop would be happy to do it for you. No real need to shop for a price...20/21/22/23/24/25...what's the difference?
But instead, a guy was sent from Maine. Am I the only one who sees absolutely no humor in this?
I just don't get it anymore.
No issue with a lady who does not want to change a flat...I would not want my wife doing it....but this seems like quite a project for a flat tire.
A Jack, 5 lugs, and 15 minutes....
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
NoBozo

I don't get it either. I guess I'm just confused. Why couldn't the person who changed out the FLAT for the DONUT...just get the flat fixed anywhere..? Fixing a flat tire is not a big deal....especially when the tire and wheel is already OFF the car. NB
Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #14
sa meredith

Default No

NB...no, I think you missed a post or two.
I believe a person drove 35 miles, to simply take a tire off, and spin a donut on.
Cate then embarked on the venture of finding a shop to repair (plug, I would assume...unless it was side wall damage) the flattened tire.
I believe this to be the chain of events.
Kind of makes it even worse...no? The fact that a guy drove 35 miles...to only change out a flat. I don't believe he took part in the repair.
I'm making toast in the morning...I have a cook coming in from Ohio to push it into the toaster.
No offense to you Cate...the sarcasm is directed at Scubadoo (sic).
Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
NoBozo

From Cate's post #7: "Driving on a doughnut NOW so have to be judicious in where I can go." Just sayin....NB
Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #16
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
This seems so completely bizzare to me. But then again, why would common sense get in the way of how America does business these days. It's probably a union thing. Scubadoo's (sic) closest "sub out" for a FLAT TIRE was in freakin' Maine????!!!!!! A flat tire was changed, in Wolfboro NH, by a guy, who drove down from Maine???!!! UUUmmmmm, yeah, OK. A guy drove 35/38 miles to change a flat??!! (google earth maps)
And, that being said, there was not a local gentleman co-worker or friend, to change out the tire? I would bet if it was a nail, the cost of the plug will have to be taken care of by Cate...20 bucks????...and that shop would probably reinstall the tire. As for driving on the donut Cate, you really could travel up to 100 miles, with no issue at all. And I really don't think I'd be all that fussy about where to go to remove a nail, and put the plug in. It requires little, if any skill. Any shop would be happy to do it for you. No real need to shop for a price...20/21/22/23/24/25...what's the difference?
But instead, a guy was sent from Maine. Am I the only one who sees absolutely no humor in this?
I just don't get it anymore.
No issue with a lady who does not want to change a flat...I would not want my wife doing it....but this seems like quite a project for a flat tire.
A Jack, 5 lugs, and 15 minutes....
For some reason your response to this doesn't surprise me at all. Common sense isn't all that "common" anymore. Cate, at some point, paid for roadside assistance. That service doesn't reside on every corner and traveling 30 miles to perform the service isn't unreasonable at all to me. She is new to the area and probably doesn't have many gentlemen, co-workers or friends she can call on at this point. I don't see any humor in this nor do I think a flat tire is intended to be humorous. If you don't want your wife changing a tire then I wouldn't throw stones at a service that provides an avenue to make that happen for those who choose to use it and pay for it. It is hardly a "union" thing and definitely has nothing to do with what is wrong with America and how it does business today.

For you and me, a jack, 5 lugs (it's a Subaru, 4 lugs) and 15 minutes is no problem. For the overwhelming majority, its a phone call and someone else comes and does it for you.

BT
Irrigation Guy (12-08-2011), Jonas Pilot (12-07-2011), Skip (12-07-2011), WakeboardMom (12-08-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
sa meredith

Default roadside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
For some reason your response to this doesn't surprise me at all. Common sense isn't all that "common" anymore. Cate, at some point, paid for roadside assistance. That service doesn't reside on every corner and traveling 30 miles to perform the service isn't unreasonable at all to me. She is new to the area and probably doesn't have many gentlemen, co-workers or friends she can call on at this point. I don't see any humor in this nor do I think a flat tire is intended to be humorous. If you don't want your wife changing a tire then I wouldn't throw stones at a service that provides an avenue to make that happen for those who choose to use it and pay for it. It is hardly a "union" thing and definitely has nothing to do with what is wrong with America and how it does business today.

For you and me, a jack, 5 lugs (it's a Subaru, 4 lugs) and 15 minutes is no problem. For the overwhelming majority, its a phone call and someone else comes and does it for you.

BT
Roadside assistance is included in every new vehicle warrenty in the country...when you buy a new vehicle you get it. Extend the warrenty a bit, and roadside is generally extended as well. So, yes, the service is purchased...whether it be directly, or indirect.
That really is not the spirit of my posts, though. It is a flat tire. Road service will not repair the tire...they will just come to the rescue. Due to a road hazard (nail, in this case) the customer is then responsable for the repair.
So, Scubadoo (sic) subbed out (AS IN PAID) someone, to travel 35 miles (each way) in a truck to change the tire. Assume they probably travelled in some type of service vehicle, it probably gets 14/16 MPG, maybe worse, but lets say 15MPG. 70 miles required 5 gallons at 3.15/3.17. Close to 20 bucks in gas, and the labor, probably 1.5, maybe 2, at whatever...$35, maybe $40 PER UNIT HOUR...the labor rates are pre negotiated, and drive time is paid for. It is not unreasonable to think..in fact it is most probably accurate..that Scubadoo is going to be billed $100 or slightly over...to change a flat.
If you don't think, that eventually that cost finds it's way back to the consumer...well, I don't know how you could not think that. My point is simply that there are no less than 50 shops, within 10 miles of Wolfboro that offer the service of coming out and removing the tire. Of course it is not Cate's fault...makes no difference to her. But it makes sense to you, Blue Thunder, that someone travelled 35 miles, to change a flat..not repair, just spin the lugs, and throw the donut on???? OK then, we'll agree to disagree.
If you were payng the bill,would you call someone 35 miles a away? THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MINUTE.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #18
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Roadside assistance is included in every new vehicle warrenty in the country...when you buy a new vehicle you get it. Extend the warrenty a bit, and roadside is generally extended as well. So, yes, the service is purchased...whether it be directly, or indirect.
That really is not the spirit of my posts, though. It is a flat tire. Road service will not repair the tire...they will just come to the rescue. Due to a road hazard (nail, in this case) the customer is then responsable for the repair.
So, Scubadoo (sic) subbed out (AS IN PAID) someone, to travel 35 miles (each way) in a truck to change the tire. Assume they probably travelled in some type of service vehicle, it probably gets 14/16 MPG, maybe worse, but lets say 15MPG. 70 miles required 5 gallons at 3.15/3.17. Close to 20 bucks in gas, and the labor, probably 1.5, maybe 2, at whatever...$35, maybe $40 PER UNIT HOUR...the labor rates are pre negotiated, and drive time is paid for. It is not unreasonable to think..in fact it is most probably accurate..that Scubadoo is going to be billed $100 or slightly over...to change a flat.
If you don't think, that eventually that cost finds it's way back to the consumer...well, I don't know how you could not think that. My point is simply that there are no less than 50 shops, within 10 miles of Wolfboro that offer the service of coming out and removing the tire. Of course it is not Cate's fault...makes no difference to her. But it makes sense to you, Blue Thunder, that someone travelled 35 miles, to change a flat..not repair, just spin the lugs, and throw the donut on???? OK then, we'll agree to disagree.
If you were payng the bill,would you call someone 35 miles a away? THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MINUTE.
You made your point..... and I made mine.... and it won't shock anyone that regularly reads your posts that we disagree.
It does make sense to me that for someone who paid for roadside assistance, in advance when they purchased their vehicle, would expect someone to show up and change their flat tire when they needed it, no matter where they are or how far away they were from the closest participating facility.
The cost doesn't "find its way back to the consumer", in this case, Cate. She paid for it and I'd be willing to bet she's glad she did.

BT
Jonas Pilot (12-07-2011), Skip (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #19
ghfromaltonbay

Default Belknap Tire

Quote:
Also wondering about places to buy tires if I need to. I used to buy at Sears.
Cate,

We and our neighbor have had good luck purchasing tires and having tires repaired at Belknap Tire on Union Ave., in Lakeport (near Robbins Auto parts).

You should be able to get that far even with the donut.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 AM   #20
Belmont Resident

Default Cate

Check with your insurance company. Many offer roadside assistance for a few dollars a year, and you can take it to a service station of your choosing.
I dropped AAA. AAA is good but has some restrictions and it is costly if you tend to have newer vehicles and do not use it often. Add up all that money for a piece of mind and it could be several hundred if you do not us it in years.
Most insurance companies offer similar for a lot less a year.

As for Belknap tire, they are way on the other side of the lake and have become very expensive over the last few years.
I’m working in Moultonborough and notice many service stations along the way. Almost any service station no matter how good or bad they are can fix a flat and it beats driving over 20 miles to visit Laconia for a flat.
I hope you are enjoying your relocation.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #21
Jonas Pilot

Default Cate

Weston Auto Body in south Wolfeboro has a very knowledgable tech who does all their mechanical repairs. He used to work at Trites. He takes care of my truck and my wife's car. We have been going to "Westies" for many years and have been completely pleased with them.

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 12-08-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #22
dpg

sa meredith - I hear you but it was coverage that came with the car and the customer simply exercised their right. Personally I could care less if I had to call Honda and they flew someone in from Iowa, not my problem. Yes, it does seem crazy but who cares? Keep in mind it could also be the nearby stations who have elected NOT to participate in any service plan with that given manufacturer or anyone else for that matter. I used to belong to AAA and the one time we did call them in Mass a truck came from the 10th or 11th closest garage from my home. Although still only maybe 8 miles away lets look at the logic, did THAT make any sense???
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #23
Rolie

Default Quick tire change

I've never had a problem changing a flat.....BUT......FINDING the spare and jack, figuring out how to get the thing out of the car......then...trying to figure out how to use the jack, and where the jack point is, well, that's a lot more than 15 minutes...and if I've prepaid for somebody to come do it for me, I'm not really at all concerned about how far they have to drive to get me going again. Oh, and after all is said and done, just go ahead and try to get the jack and spare tire mounted in its original spot!
Rolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #24
beaner

Default Flat tire

Cate, check your private messages.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #25
WakeboardMom

Quote:
The cost doesn't "find its way back to the consumer", in this case, Cate. She paid for it and I'd be willing to bet she's glad she did.

BT
I don't completely agree with SA or BT...but...I think the point that it "comes back to the consumer," is not that eventually Cate will be asked to pay out-of-pocket the 40, 50, or 100 dollars that it cost to change the tire. I think the point is that we all, as consumers, end up paying for inefficiencies like this.

The truck-from-Maine-to-Wolfeboro is just an example of big business not always paying attention to details. (LOL...Occupy Wolfeboro or Waterboro!)
Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #26
CateP

Default Flat Tire Not Repairable

Well that ole flat tire of mine was NOT repairable. (I've had many a flat tire repaired before and around here it's $10, I happily discovered). I ran over a nail punch. You know, that tool carpenters use to inset finish nails? Well it was huge and found it's way into my sidewall near the tread. Imagine that.

Well, with an AWD Subaru you have to replace the tire with the exact same brand (something about treads and the transmission). AND you can't replace one, you have to replace at least two to keep things even. I was looking at $400 for those two tires so I ended up getting a whole new set from Trites. (Trips back and forth from NJ had taken a toll anyway) I am at peace with this decision.

And as for driving on that donut...well, just hold onto that steering wheel. Wobbly feeling. I'm keeping it local until I get those new tires on.

Thanks to everyone for the car trouble recommendations. In my book, finding a good mechanic is like finding a good doctor.

I'll also look into my NH car insurance when I am living here permanently. Great idea about roadside assistance.

P.S. I DO know how to change a tire and wouldn't have hesitated to do it except for the cold hard rain and having to meet a deadline at work. And contrary to some who believe otherwise, women are perfectly capable of changing a tire if they are shown how. (My Dad showed me)

I also think it was ridiculous that a guy drove from Maine to change my tire. That's why I asked about roadside assistance that would be more local. I'll ask the service stations in town and start from there.

One last thing...I am making friends here and am busy almost every night. I'm the House Manager for the Village Players production of "A Christmas Story" and have been hanging with the cool musicians at the Strawberry Patch on Fridays. People are very warm and friendly and welcoming. It's just a matter of getting out there and doing things you like to do. Making friends here is like icing on the cake.
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #27
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
I don't completely agree with SA or BT...but...I think the point that it "comes back to the consumer," is not that eventually Cate will be asked to pay out-of-pocket the 40, 50, or 100 dollars that it cost to change the tire. I think the point is that we all, as consumers, end up paying for inefficiencies like this.

The truck-from-Maine-to-Wolfeboro is just an example of big business not always paying attention to details. (LOL...Occupy Wolfeboro or Waterboro!)
The reason why a guy had to come from Maine to do Subaru roadside service is that it was the closest shop that had a contract with Subaru. I am sure in a more populated area there would have been a closer repair shop, but that's just one of those things about living here. Now that I know the closest Subaru roadside assistance is in Waterboro, Maine, I'm looking into other options. No big deal. I don't fault Subaru either.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #28
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
The best mechanic around Wolfeboro (especially if you've got a GM) is Sal. His garage and gas station is right in the heart of downtown. He's honest, and a downright good guy. He gets my GM work.

Cate, how do you like that Subaru? Is it good on gas? I had one a hundred years ago and it sounded like a VW beetle. The four-wheel drive was terrific but it had no power whatsoever!
There are so many coincidences in this thread for me.

I also destroyed a tire by picking up a "nail-set", but it was on the NEW JERSEY Turnpike!

Sal has been my favorite mechanic since before the station changed from Texaco to its present Sunoco products. It's a family business, and his dad will take your appointment. I once drove in with a nail-caused flat, and he fixed it for free. When a friend had annoying mechnical problems with her car, I told her of Sal's wide knowledge of the car industry. Weeks went by, and then she got a flat from a nail. Without the knowledge of my earlier recommendation, Sal fixed her tire for free.

Subarus have changed from those early days. They have several versions of "all-wheel drive", and I think they still offer manual transmissions. A few months ago, I had occasion to drive CateP's Subaru. It's a quality product, and drives like any other similar-size Japanese car; however, removing the key from the ignition is NOT intuitive, and may take some moments to figure out.

Just last week, a friend pointed out a starry constellation known as "The Pleides". She then told me it is the symbol found in Subaru's logo.

Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #29
Newbiesaukee

Your friend may be correct about the Pleiades being the symbol of Subaru, but the Pleiades are known as the Seven Sisters and I count only six on Subaru icon.

Sorry for the diversion, but , again, too much time on my hands.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."

Last edited by Newbiesaukee; 12-08-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #30
sa meredith

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post

How very shocking...someone took the time to read the posts, and not simpy interpret them in some bizzare way. Thanks WkBrMom...
You are correct...how on Gods' green earth people though I meant Cate would get a bill for 100 bucks is beyond me. But as a group...as American Consumers...we eventually pay for the inefficiencies. This is a fact.
I never ever intended to slight Cate P for using her service. Never. Why not. It's included wtth her car...I WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME DAMN THING!
And laughed when finding out the guy travelled 35 miles.
My simple question was...doesn't this seem bizzare to people? And I guess to some it makes sense.
When the manufactors add to a warrwanty...do people really not think the cost is past along. Couple examples...When Ford increaded powertrain Warrenty to 5/60000 in 2003 (or 2002, not sure) there was a surcharge every dealer received for every unit that was already built and on the ground of roughly 180/200 bucks...per unit. And the base price (invoice cost) was increaded by the same amount on every new vehcile shipped, with the new coverage (3/36000 became 5/60000). Of course, Ford proudly announced there would be no extra cost to consumer for this new warrenty. The MSRPs stayed the same...but the invoices were increased. So, if a dealer had a 800 margin, he now had a 600 margin. Does anyone not think the dealers did not pass the cost on to the public by simply holding a bit firmer in price....of course..we all did it. You had to.
All Factory roadside service is billed back to the manufacturer...in this case Subaru. These figures are routinely reviewed, and cost are indeed adjusted accordingly.
The much larger picture here is simply...AND ONLY...this. I found it very strange/weird/bizzare (in a vacuum...absent any outside stories) that a flat tire was changed by someone who travelled 35 miles. It is an insane waste of money...nothing to do with Cate P..she did as I would have done.
To prove my point however...I would ask Cate P, Cate, if you had no roadside service left (contract expired), and found the flat, and wanted to hire somone to change it...would you have even considered calling someone 35 mile away, and pay them to drive out to you? You yourself are very regularly on this board, asking for ways to save money...on car washes, rentals, fire wood, snow removal services, gas prices, "the least expensive option for storing a boat", buying furniture....so I would assume you do not spend $$$ foolishly, but rather are careful to obtain a fair, honest, and accurate price for goods and services. So, applying this knowledge, I assume you too find it a waste for someone to have driven 35 miles. Am I right?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #31
SIKSUKR

Jeesh SA, you missing the Red Sox or something? Breath in..breath out...
Blue Thunder (12-12-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #32
RLW

Quote:
How very shocking...someone took the time to read the posts, and not simpy interpret them in some bizzare way. Thanks WkBrMom...
You are correct...how on Gods' green earth people though I meant Cate would get a bill for 100 bucks is beyond me. But as a group...as American Consumers...we eventually pay for the inefficiencies. This is a fact.
I never ever intended to slight Cate P for using her service. Never. Why not. It's included wtth her car...I WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME DAMN THING!
And laughed when finding out the guy travelled 35 miles.
My simple question was...doesn't this seem bizzare to people? And I guess to some it makes sense.
When the manufactors add to a warrwanty...do people really not think the cost is past along. Couple examples...When Ford increaded powertrain Warrenty to 5/60000 in 2003 (or 2002, not sure) there was a surcharge every dealer received for every unit that was already built and on the ground of roughly 180/200 bucks...per unit. And the base price (invoice cost) was increaded by the same amount on every new vehcile shipped, with the new coverage (3/36000 became 5/60000). Of course, Ford proudly announced there would be no extra cost to consumer for this new warrenty. The MSRPs stayed the same...but the invoices were increased. So, if a dealer had a 800 margin, he now had a 600 margin. Does anyone not think the dealers did not pass the cost on to the public by simply holding a bit firmer in price....of course..we all did it. You had to.
All Factory roadside service is billed back to the manufacturer...in this case Subaru. These figures are routinely reviewed, and cost are indeed adjusted accordingly.
The much larger picture here is simply...AND ONLY...this. I found it very strange/weird/bizzare (in a vacuum...absent any outside stories) that a flat tire was changed by someone who travelled 35 miles. It is an insane waste of money...nothing to do with Cate P..she did as I would have done.
To prove my point however...I would ask Cate P, Cate, if you had no roadside service left (contract expired), and found the flat, and wanted to hire somone to change it...would you have even considered calling someone 35 mile away, and pay them to drive out to you? You yourself are very regularly on this board, asking for ways to save money...on car washes, rentals, fire wood, snow removal services, gas prices, "the least expensive option for storing a boat", buying furniture....so I would assume you do not spend $$$ foolishly, but rather are careful to obtain a fair, honest, and accurate price for goods and services. So, applying this knowledge, I assume you too find it a waste for someone to have driven 35 miles. Am I right?
All that for changing poor Cates flat tire???
Blue Thunder (12-12-2011), Skip (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #33
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
All that for changing poor Cates flat tire???
RLW, you forgot about the 3 other posts before that one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
Blue Thunder (12-12-2011), Skip (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #34
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:

Well, with an AWD Subaru you have to replace the tire with the exact same brand (something about treads and the transmission). AND you can't replace one, you have to replace at least two to keep things even. I was looking at $400 for those two tires so I ended up getting a whole new set from Trites. (Trips back and forth from NJ had taken a toll anyway) I am at peace with this decision.
Just to let you know this is not entirely accurate. This is where you can really get screwed if you are at the mercy of those who are fixing your car.

Full time AWD systems are pretty complicated, reason being you're applying power to all 4 wheels at the same time on any surface. The big trouble comes when you're on dry pavement and specifically cornering on dry pavement. All 4 wheels cannot spin at the same speed otherwise you would have significant binding in the drive train, cause excessive tire wear and in high speed condition actually could affect the stability of the vehicle. To compensate for this there is the ability of the drive train to "slip" so that this binding doesn't occur. If I tried to explain the various methods that are used to do this I'd write a novel and bore you to death. The important thing about these systems is that the compensation is able to deal with a certain variation in wheel speed difference. This can be affected by the overall circumference of the tires themselves. IE a worn tire will have less circumference than a new tire will. This is critical for all 4 tires, not just one or two. Now how much give is there in the system? Well to tout the OEM line of course the dealers will tell you that you need to replace more than may be necessary. In reality if you're less than 1/2 way through the tread life replacing a single tire is perfectly fine. More than that it 'could' cause excessive wear to the "slip" mechanism. I use the word could with caution here because it's probably not going to. However putting one new tire on with the other three nearly bologna skins is also not a good idea.

With a system like this the following things are important.

All 4 tires should be of the same make. Changing brands as long as you change all 4 is perfectly fine. Using the same brand and tread is important because each tread pattern will have varying gripping power so this must be matched all the way around.

All 4 tires should be of the same size, mixing tire sizes is a no no with AWD, as each size varies in width and circumference.

Using studded tires with these AWD systems is not a good idea and really not necessary.

If a condition exists where you're outside the normal operational envelope of the slip coupling that coupling can be damaged as a result. It should however be the sacrificial lamb in the entire drive train and protect the more expensive trans axle from sustaining any damage. Not to say those couplings aren't expensive to replace, just not as bad as a trans axle.

Bottom line - all 4 tires need to be somewhat uniform in wear, identical in size and tread pattern. If you replace your tires as long as you're doing all 4 you can change brands. It would be advisable to stick with the recommended tire size.

You should NEVER run a doughnut spare on these vehicles... EVER! If it came with one, throw it out and get a full sized matching spare tire.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
CateP (12-09-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #35
brk-lnt

Quote:
My simple question was...doesn't this seem bizzare to people?
It doesn't seem bizarre at all. Most corporations are motivated to find the lowest cost solution to a problem. None of us here seem to know the particulars about Subaru's roadside assistance program. What dealerships are authorized to fulfill service work, how does Subaru dole out service requests among authorized agents, etc.

You're making crazy assumptions based on having no knowledge about how the program works. Maybe they would have sent someone from 5 miles away, but that person was on another call so they went to the next closest option?

In the end, who cares? Stuff doesn't always work the way WE think it should, especially when we are drawing conclusions from lack of data...
Blue Thunder (12-12-2011), RLW (12-08-2011), Skip (12-08-2011), wolfegirl (12-09-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #36
robmac

Just my 2 cents,AAA is a great thing to have if only for the piece of mind if it breaks down and you need a tow. I repair and maintain my own vehicles and toy,I also manage a service dept. at a franchised auto dealership. I can tell you from my customers experience that roadside assistence isn't what it's all cracked up to be. Having a back up is a very good idea> JMHO
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #37
NoBozo

Here's a little TIP that I've learned over the years. The Factory..The Dealership..and any Garage that deals with your wheels...uses a compressed air driven "Impact Wrench" to remove and replace your wheels. The impact wrench is MUCH stronger than you are. Trying to remove the lug nuts on your wheel by Hand after it has been put on with an impact wrench is difficult at best.

SO: I recommend you get out the "Lug Wrench" that was supplied with your car..better yet..a wrench with a much longer handle..and go out and "BREAK Loose" all the lugs on your wheels..one at a time, then Re-Snug them BY HAND. No need to jack up the car to do that. Just do it with the wheels on the ground...one at a time. Bring a Strong friend to break loose the nuts/lugs. Then "SNUG" the nuts/lugs down again BY Hand.

SO: When you have a flat on the road...you will then be able to loosen the lug nuts on your own. NB
Old 12-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #38
Rusty

A good mechanic will tighten lug nuts to the proper torque as specified by the vehicles specification.

They should first use a low torque setting on their impact wrench and then finish tightening them with a calibrated torque wrench.

The Subaru Forester lug nuts have a torque value of 73.8 ft lbs.

No one should try to tighten lug nuts without using a calibrated torque wrench unless you have a flat tire and don't have access to one.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #39
Happy Gourmand

Default Impact wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Here's a little TIP that I've learned over the years. The Factory..The Dealership..and any Garage that deals with your wheels...uses a compressed air driven "Impact Wrench" to remove and replace your wheels. The impact wrench is MUCH stronger than you are. Trying to remove the lug nuts on your wheel by Hand after it has been put on with an impact wrench is difficult at best.

SO: I recommend you get out the "Lug Wrench" that was supplied with your car..better yet..a wrench with a much longer handle..and go out and "BREAK Loose" all the lugs on your wheels..one at a time, then Re-Snug them BY HAND. No need to jack up the car to do that. Just do it with the wheels on the ground...one at a time. Bring a Strong friend to break loose the nuts/lugs. Then "SNUG" the nuts/lugs down again BY Hand.

SO: When you have a flat on the road...you will then be able to loosen the lug nuts on your own. NB
Doesn't the impact wrench have a mechanism of some sort that acts as a torque wrench that limits the tightness?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #40
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Yes, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Doesn't the impact wrench have a mechanism of some sort that acts as a torque wrench that limits the tightness?
It's like the drills we get with the chuck having many settings to allow it to stop turning at a predetermined torque setting. It's of no use if we set it too high. With the drill being used to drive in screws while drywalling, if the setting is too high, you can drive the screw right through the drywall and into the studs. With the impact wrench set too high, the lugs can be tightened so tight that you better have the Incredible Hulk in the trunk to get them loose!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #41
CateP

Default No Doughnuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
You should NEVER run a doughnut spare on these vehicles... EVER! If it came with one, throw it out and get a full sized matching spare tire.
Hmm. The spare tire well in my car will not fit a full size spare so no place for one. (My old Subaru Forester did). I have had to drive on the doughnut just to get to the service station so I hope I am not doing any damage to my car right now.

BTW- Is it "doughnut" or "donut"?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #42
Jonas Pilot

Do not use doughnut but do use donut.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #43
TheProfessor

All of these "road services" are OK. They all do about the same thing.

I have had AAA + (PLUS) for decades now. With the PLUS they will tow the car to anywhere up to 100 miles. So if you got a breakdown late at night in the middle of nowhere they can tow you home. Yes, you would later have to deal with the car but at least you are home.

I have a repair facility within 5 miles of my home. I get my oil changes there. They know me or know of me. If car breaks down at night or on weekend I have AAA tow car to repair shop and I ask truck driver to take me home - and I provide a monetary "tip". Most will do this. So the car is at shop and I am home.

A lot depends on how old car is and how many miles on odometer.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #44
Grant

Re: AAA in the Wolfeboro area...

In late September, I was headed up to help my dad close up his place, and as I passed through the heart of downtown Wolfeboro, my 2001 Hyundai with 130,000 miles (intrepid commuter rig...it's been everywhere), started acting up. By the time I got to the top of the hill heading out of town, she could go no more, so limped into the parking lot of the (former) Lakeview Motel and called AAA.

They dispatched a local tow truck within a half hour, and the guy asked where I wanted to go. Having been REALLY lucky over the past 20+ years (last NH breakdown was in Hudson, NH @ 5 pm on a Friday...and I lucked out then, too), I wasn't sure where to go, but my family had used Trite's, and the driver had heard good things, so we went there. It's the facility that used to be Miller Chevy/GM down near the old Allen A...so they have ample repair bays and a really well-trained staff. Nice folks.

Trite's diagnosed the issue(s) quickly, repaired it quickly and completely, and did so at a reasonable price. They've won my return business (I have three cars, all with 130,000+ miles...), so chances of a return trip are pretty good.

AAA+ membership worked well this time, but I have had another experience that was not so good. One evening a few years ago, Senter Cove Guy & I returned to his house after a day of diving. While loading my gear (in the same Hyundai), I somehow locked my keys in the trunk of the car. (Don't ask.) After failing to open it with the old bent coat hanger, I called AAA, and was told they could not dispatch anyone until the next afternoon. Seeing as I had to be at work 420 miles away the next morning, this was not an option.

So I broke the little back vent window with a hammer and drove around with a plastic bag duct-taped over the hole for a few months. Then I had AAA auto glass come to my office and replace the window while I was at work, so AAA got paid again anyway.

Anyway -- I know Trite's does tires as well, as my dad purchased some there.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #45
AB_Monterey

AAA Plus was pretty much mandatory for me when I was working in Allston Ma and living in Raymond. The tow from Allston to my mechanic in Auburn would've cost a pretty penny, 75 miles or so.

Luckily, I only had one occasion when i needed that tow over the years but it certainly was worth it.

On top of that, their insurance cut our premiums by almost half over what we were paying with Met for better coverage!

Now, insurance wise, I can certainly attest to their customer service. My car had a bullseye on it when I was doing that commute. 4 hits in less than 2 years. In one case, I got the car back from the bodyshop on a Monday only to be rear ended by a Dodge Ram on Soldiers Fields Rd 4 days later

In every claim, settlement was very quick. Absolutely no complaints. Highly recommended.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #46
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
AAA Plus was pretty much mandatory for me when I was working in Allston Ma and living in Raymond. The tow from Allston to my mechanic in Auburn would've cost a pretty penny, 75 miles or so.

Luckily, I only had one occasion when i needed that tow over the years but it certainly was worth it.

On top of that, their insurance cut our premiums by almost half over what we were paying with Met for better coverage!

Now, insurance wise, I can certainly attest to their customer service. My car had a bullseye on it when I was doing that commute. 4 hits in less than 2 years. In one case, I got the car back from the bodyshop on a Monday only to be rear ended by a Dodge Ram on Soldiers Fields Rd 4 days later

In every claim, settlement was very quick. Absolutely no complaints. Highly recommended.
I agree on the AAA. Each year when it's time to renew, we hem and haw and ask if it's worth it, and every year we have 2-3 occasions when it absolutely pays for itself. Earlier this year, the transmission in our big truck went -- while my wife was commuting to NJ. The tow job back to our friendly neighborhood mechanic would've been horrendously expensive, and AAA+ covered it.

On the insurance front, we switched to AAA Mid-Atlantic, and were quite pleased for a number of years, until some clown filed a claim when he turned into my wife's lane and she slightly scraped his REALLY beat-up car. He filed a $5,000 claim, and their underwriters just paid it out with no question -- so then we have this big-a$$ claim on our record when HE was at fault and the damage was minor cosmetic stuff. Lesson learned: No matter how minor the ding, and how friendly the guy in the other car, ALWAYS have the cops come & ALWAYS file a report. They jacked our rates through the roof after that, so I left them.

But, anyway, to bring it back to the Lake (), I highly recommend Trite's for Wolfeboro-area automotive care.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #47
Pineedles

One other thing that AAA does for you. You can go to one of their offices and renew your driver's license. No trip to the DMV. Hallalujah!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #48
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
One other thing that AAA does for you. You can go to one of their offices and renew your driver's license. No trip to the DMV. Hallalujah!
And another (thanks for reminding me) -- If you put the little tag they send you on your keychain, and it is lost, they will send it back to you if it's found. The back of the tag says, "Drop in any mailbox. Postage Guaranteed." and the address of the main AAA office.

My oldest son was working in the city, and left his backpack unwatched for a moment. It was stolen, and the contents (aside from his wallet) one of the sets of keys to the truck. About a month later, AAA calls me and says they have a set of keys that someone found in the street somewhere in Delaware, and they will send them to my home, office, or any AAA location.

One of those benefits you don't think about until you have to use it. So the membership paid for itself again -- those new keys & alarm fobs cost $150 to replace minimum.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #49
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavia immer View Post

I also destroyed a tire by picking up a "nail-set", but it was on the NEW JERSEY Turnpike!

Sal has been my favorite mechanic since before the station changed from Texaco to its present Sunoco products. It's a family business, and his dad will take your appointment. I once drove in with a nail-caused flat, and he fixed it for free. When a friend had annoying mechnical problems with her car, I told her of Sal's wide knowledge of the car industry. Weeks went by, and then she got a flat from a nail. Without the knowledge of my earlier recommendation, Sal fixed her tire for free.

Subarus have changed from those early days. They have several versions of "all-wheel drive", and I think they still offer manual transmissions. A few months ago, I had occasion to drive CateP's Subaru. It's a quality product, and drives like any other similar-size Japanese car; however, removing the key from the ignition is NOT intuitive, and may take some moments to figure out.

Just last week, a friend pointed out a starry constellation known as "The Pleides". She then told me it is the symbol found in Subaru's logo.

I was told by an astronomer at the Museum of Science in Boston that the Japanese call the Pleides constellation "SUBARU". Neat, huh?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #50
Lakepilot

We've tried every repair place in Wolfeboro and Trites is the best by far. We've never had an issue with them trying to sell us a repair that wasn't needed and when they fix it. it's fixed. We've been going their for a long time with anything from a Chevy truck to foreign cars.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #51
Newbiesaukee

Actually, Subaru does mean Pleiades in Japanese, but this is not quite what the six stars on the logo represent. How does the Seven Sisters constellation wind up as six on the Subaru icon? If you really care....http://www.subaclub.com/StarBadge.htm.

Back to the thread.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #52
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavia immer View Post

He might have fixed your tire for free, but he sure made it up when he worked on my car. Whew....never again.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #53
MAXUM

Quote:
Hmm. The spare tire well in my car will not fit a full size spare so no place for one. (My old Subaru Forester did). I have had to drive on the doughnut just to get to the service station so I hope I am not doing any damage to my car right now.

BTW- Is it "doughnut" or "donut"?
I always thought the proper spelling was doughnut.

This is becoming the norm unfortunately. First it was the crappy doughnut spare but the well could take a a full sized spare. Now more and more new cars don't even have a well that can fit a full sized spare. With an AWD system driving with mismatched tires that far out of whack for any great distance will damage the vehicle so if you must use it, don't use it any longer than you have to. Then again those things were intended for emergencies not as a 5th tire to use indefinitely. The way some folks use them I don't think they understand that.

Far as lug nut torque, a big pet peeve of mine is the fact many technicians use the impact wrench to put the nuts back on and blast away on them... not realizing that a typical good quality 1/2 drive torque wrench can put upwards of 300 foot pounds on a bolt. That's one reason why I do my own work. If I must get my tires changed I have no choice but you can bet soon as I'm home I re-torque the nuts. There are extensions that can be used that act as a torque wrench set for specific specs, however they are not fool proof and have a shelf life. Drop one on the floor and the calibration can go bad and therefore render the thing useless. Nothing beats doing it by hand. Of course that takes an extra 5 minutes most shops won't spend doing the job right.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #54
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I always thought the proper spelling was doughnut.

This is becoming the norm unfortunately. First it was the crappy doughnut spare but the well could take a a full sized spare. Now more and more new cars don't even have a well that can fit a full sized spare. With an AWD system driving with mismatched tires that far out of whack for any great distance will damage the vehicle so if you must use it, don't use it any longer than you have to. Then again those things were intended for emergencies not as a 5th tire to use indefinitely. The way some folks use them I don't think they understand that.

Far as lug nut torque, a big pet peeve of mine is the fact many technicians use the impact wrench to put the nuts back on and blast away on them... not realizing that a typical good quality 1/2 drive torque wrench can put upwards of 300 foot pounds on a bolt. That's one reason why I do my own Mork. If I must get my tires changed I have no choice but you can bet soon as I'm home I re-torque the nuts. There are extensions that can be used that act as a torque wrench set for specific specs, however they are not fool proof and have a shelf life. Drop one on the floor and the calibration can go bad and therefore render the thing useless. Nothing beats doing it by hand. Of course that takes an extra 5 minutes most shops won't spend doing the job right.
ALL Excellent points. A good "Mechanic" doesn't need a torque wrench to FEEL how tight a nut or bolt should be. (Building an engine is a different story). We are not building an engine here. We are changing a tire.

Unfortunately..We don't have any more "Mechanics". "Mechanics" could FIX things. Now we have "Technicians". They don't know HOW to FIX things. They know how to REPLACE things. In the old days you replaced the brushes in your cars generator. A few bucks. Now ...you Replace the entire Alternator. So why is this..? Two reasons: It's because labor rates at your local dealer are $98 per hour. They havn't got time to THINK about what might be the simple solution. The other reason is..components today are NOT designed to be fixed. They are designed to be replaced.

Back to your regularly schedualed program: NB
Old 12-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #55
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
ALL Excellent points. A good "Mechanic" doesn't need a torque wrench to FEEL how tight a nut or bolt should be. (Building an engine is a different story). We are not building an engine here. We are changing a tire.

Unfortunately..We don't have any more "Mechanics". "Mechanics" could FIX things. Now we have "Technicians". They don't know HOW to FIX things. They know how to REPLACE things. In the old days you replaced the brushes in your cars generator. A few bucks. Now ...you Replace the entire Alternator. So why is this..? Two reasons: It's because labor rates at your local dealer are $98 per hour. They havn't got time to THINK about what might be the simple solution. The other reason is..components today are NOT designed to be fixed. They are designed to be replaced.

Back to your regularly schedualed program: NB
NB.... your somewhat correct.

Stuff today is getting way more sophisticated than ever before, thank the Gov't and emissions/fuel economy standards for much of that. Some of it is simply advances in design which have made cars these days FAR more reliable than ever before. Finally there is the whole idea of reducing the amount of regular maintenance that needs to be done. I could go on and on about the good and bad of this, but let me get to my point. Your absolutely right the days of mechanics are pretty much over, techs as they call them now are armed with a computer and diagnostic software before ever picking up a wrench. In many cases this has really made troubleshooting problems much easier, however it is not uncommon for circumstances to exist where a problem arises and the computer does it's best to determine the problem but throws bogus codes, end result the techs who don't know any better can start throwing some very expensive darts (at your expense of course) by replacing parts or sensors that are not the root cause. That is a real serious problem and more prevalent than you might think.

There is also a reason why what used to be commonly repaired parts are no longer repaired at the dealer even though you can still get the parts to rebuild things that go bad such as alternators, starters, power steering pumps, brake calipers, etc.... The dealers do not want the liability of dealing with a rebuild gone bad AND it's far easier for them to hang new parts than risk unhappy customers spending big bucks and having to come back for further repairs. Take for example your typical brake job. used to be we'd replace the pads/shoes. resurface the rotors or drums and if need be rebuild the calipers. Today whether the car or truck needs it or not all those parts are replaced as a significant cost to the consumer even though some of those parts may still be serviceable. If all new parts are hung there is far less chance of any problems a year or two down the road. Even when it comes to big ticket items now, if an engine, tranny, axle whatever goes bad those no longer are rebuilt, they do a remove and replace.

Now for an independent shop the owner is the one to make those decisions and generally speaking since they have to come in at a price lower than the dealers they will not do this unless it's necessary. There is also a price spread on the cost of the parts too, although I'm a firm believer in avoiding aftermarket parts since they are usually substandard in quality.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #56
Rattlesnake Guy

Default Thumbs up to AAA

Few things feel as good as telling the kids to just call the number on the AAA card in their wallet when they break down 3 states away. Getting a discount at Dairy Queen, at a hotel or on my eyeglasses is pretty good too but not nearly as helping the kids in a crisis.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #57
Rusty

Quote:

BT

A Subaru has 5 lugs.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #58
dpg

This is the 56th post because of a flat tire. Thank god it wasn't a seized engine, a small novel would of been written bt now. Lots of people difinitely get bored after the temps drop.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #59
Neko

Default flat tire

Totally agree.
It was just a FLAT TIRE
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #60
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
Totally agree.
It was just a FLAT TIRE
You may not realize, but in the 1970s someone invented a new rubber compound that was self-healing. It eliminated flat-tires, and also increased the lifespan of an average passenger car tire ten-fold.

The big rubber companies all tried to pass legislation to declare this new compound unsafe for use on the roads, and when that failed they bought the patent from the inventor and then hid the technology away.

Had it not been for those nefarious corporations, this thread wouldn't even exist!!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #61
Pineedles

After forty years wouldn't the patent have expired by now?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #62
MAXUM

Not to change the subject to much, but how many have been paying attention to the attempts to bump the amount of ethanol to 15%? If successful that is going to be a huge problem, especially for marine engines.
Pineedles (12-13-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #63
robmac

Auto manufacturerers love Ethanol,it allows them to meet new and strickter emission laws by lobbying the gasolene companies along with the EPA to raise the % of ethanol so they easily meet those requirements. On the other hand those with boats,lawn equipment,seasonal toys watch out and make sure you're treating every drop you leave in the tank.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #64
Heaven

Maybe one reason this thread is so popular despite being "only a flat tire" is that it is an occurrence that happens to very single person, sooner or later.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #65
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Auto manufacturerers love Ethanol,it allows them to meet new and strickter emission laws by lobbying the gasolene companies along with the EPA to raise the % of ethanol so they easily meet those requirements. On the other hand those with boats,lawn equipment,seasonal toys watch out and make sure you're treating every drop you leave in the tank.
The thing is up until this point the increase has been on hold since there has been evidence to support the idea that ethanol has increased the amount of pollutants which is currently being studied. There is also the fear that it is also causing human health hazards as well. Of course this doesn't exactly tow the "green" line so who knows what will happen.

Here's a pretty extensive writeup on the subject:

http://www.ewg.org/biofuels/report/E...-Engine-Damage
Jonas Pilot (12-22-2011)