Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
aopel

Default Native American Names for Winni Islands?

I was wondering if anyone knew any of the Native American names for any of the islands in the lake?

Also, does anyone have a good reference for books on Native American history in the lakes region and/or the native language.

Thanks,

Andy
aopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopel
I was wondering if anyone knew any of the Native American names for any of the islands in the lake?

Also, does anyone have a good reference for books on Native American history in the lakes region and/or the native language.

Thanks,

Andy
Have you tried a library?

Most Islands still have the same names used by the colonists.

The early colonist were from different countries and thusly spoke different languages.

Unlike today, the assimilated language was English, or at least, the US version of English.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow John Bridges Might Be Able To Help

Thursday, August 2, 2007
NH Boat Museum Lecture Series

7:00 pm - At the Museum

Islands of Lake Winnipesaukee - The series continues with local celebrity, John Bridges, who has spent more years that he cares to admit studying the 365 or so islands that punctuate the Big Lake. John has presented to many audiences in The Lakes Region and it's usually “standing room only”.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
aopel

Default Island Names and Lore

Thanks for the museum talk update Rattlesnake Gal. I attended the island session in June and enjoyed the casual talk. Maybe this next one will be a bit more rigorous.

GWC - I have been to the library and have done extensive research on the history of the lake and islands. The reality is, many early documents are missing and/or incomplete, books are out of print and a lot of more obscure information is passed down by word of mouth. That is the great thing about this forum - sharing information.

When you refer to the "colonists" - I assume you mean the (European) immigrants who failed to learn the native language when they moved here.

What I find interesting is that the immigrants did preserve the native name for the lake, but then proceeded to rename the islands and most of the mountains. I guess this speaks to the power of the lake!
aopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
GWC...

Quote:

Learned something new...

The inhabitants prior to the colonist referenced this part of the planet as the Americas.

How about that...

Quote:
What I find interesting is that the immigrants did preserve the native name for the lake, but then proceeded to rename the islands and most of the mountains. I guess this speaks to the power of the lake!
Yes, they did - all 134 versions of it.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4299
Old 07-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
Thursday, August 2, 2007
NH Boat Museum Lecture Series

7:00 pm - At the Museum

Islands of Lake Winnipesaukee - The series continues with local celebrity, John Bridges, who has spent more years that he cares to admit studying the 365 or so islands that punctuate the Big Lake. John has presented to many audiences in The Lakes Region and it's usually “standing room only”.
Those look like fun. I tell ya, why did I ever move away from New England? *getting soar from the years of kicking myself for it
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:36 AM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Island names and other Winni myths

Couple of well written articles from the Citizen... fun read. Victoria Guay is the writer. She did a nice job.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...335/-1/CITIZEN

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...341/-1/CITIZEN