Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default YouTubeTV vs. Disney conglomerate

For those with YouTubeTV, as of yesterday the 17th, the Disney group channels are offline. That includes ABC (WMUR), all ESPN channels, and others.

YouTubeTV is dropping the monthly fee by about $15 / month while the dispute is on. I hope the two sides get their stuff together.

Dave
Old 12-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
tummyman

Already looking at FUBO......after loosing NESN earlier and no hope of it being reinstated, this may be the last straw !
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
Merrymeeting

I've got to believe they will resolve this somehow soon. If not, they will lose millions of subscribers. We stream most of our viewing from other services. The primary, and almost only reason for having YouTubeTV is for local news, other news, and live sports.

Given local news here is exclusively ABC, and the amount of live sports on ESPN, if it isn't resolved soon, I'll be another one of those moving (along will several other family and friends)
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

I agree that it probably get settled but if it does not, we will look at options.

In the mean time, some WMUR options.

If you have a ROKU try the NewsON app. The news/weather may be delayed but you can watch it.

Also ROKU supports Apple AirPlay. Install the WMUR and ROKU apps on your iPad or iPhone. You can watch the news on WMUR Nowcast and cast it to the ROKU. Setup directions on YouTube.

If you have Chrome-cast and an android phone, install the WMUR app and cast using Google Home.

Just somewhat cumbersome temporary work-arounds.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 03:19 PM   #5
Blue Thunder

We have YTTV as well. My tv has built in Roku but they don’t have the Boston ABC affiliate available… tried Haystack as well. Not there either. Anyone else with suggestions?
Old 12-18-2021, 04:54 PM   #6
loony

Try NewsOn. They have a few local live stations, unfortunately WMUR is not one of them but you can stream the most recent broadcast.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Default Stream live from WMUR.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
I agree that it probably get settled but if it does not, we will look at options.

In the mean time, some WMUR options.

If you have a ROKU try the NewsON app. The news/weather may be delayed but you can watch it.

Also ROKU supports Apple AirPlay. Install the WMUR and ROKU apps on your iPad or iPhone. You can watch the news on WMUR Nowcast and cast it to the ROKU. Setup directions on YouTube.

If you have Chrome-cast and an android phone, install the WMUR app and cast using Google Home.

Just somewhat cumbersome temporary work-arounds.
When we got up this morning, we quickly became aware of no ch 9 on YTTV.

I brought up WMUR on my Samsung tablet and then used "smart view" to "cast" the news through ROKU to the TV.

A little buffering at times, but overall ok.

Dave
Old 12-18-2021, 07:38 PM   #8
chachee52

Tried FUBO when NESN was dropped. Having a 4 yo, he uses PBS a lot, and FUBO doesn't have that. Wife watches a lot on TBS, FUBO doesn't have that either.
The only other that has NESN is AT&T streaming (Direct TV) and to get NESN it's an extra $20.
At Least YTTV was nice enough to drop their price to allow the price for us to go get Disney +, but that doesn't have ESPN, that's an extra price. Kid already was upset that we can't watch Bluey on Disney channel.
I said it way back, NESN just needs to build a TV app. I'll pay $5-6/month for that.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chachee52 For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (12-18-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #9
betterthanbacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Already looking at FUBO......after loosing NESN earlier and no hope of it being reinstated, this may be the last straw !
Swapped over to FUBO last spring do to the loss of NESN. I actually like fuboTV better than YouTubeTV. Glad I made the swap.
betterthanbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:22 AM   #10
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Casting using the cast button in the WMUR app has been broken for more than a year. Yes, you can use Google Home to mirror your device and cast it that way. But then your device can only be used for the cast. It would be nice if the WMUR app could be fixed.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 05:35 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Default Agreement reached

An agreement had been reached and subscribers will get a one time $15 credit. Details to follow in an email. I went into YTTV on my tablet and got this message.

As of 530pm, they have not flipped the switch.

Dave
Slickcraft (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #12
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Copy of the email below. Looks like I get a credit of $15 for the 2 day disruption. Anyway we lived through it and I learned to cast to Roku from my iPad.

Alan

Quote:
We’re happy to share that we’ve reached a deal with Disney to return their content to YouTube TV while preserving a $64.99/mo. price for our members. We’ve already started to restore access to Disney networks like ESPN and FX, including their live and on-demand content, as well as any recordings that were previously in your Library. We will also be turning on your local ABC stations over the course of the day. Don’t worry, your personal preferences and recommendations will be just as you left them.

As we promised a $15 discount while the Disney content remained off platform, we will still honor a one-time credit for all impacted Base Plan members.

For active members who have not yet received that $15 discount on their monthly bill, you will automatically receive this one-time credit on your next bill with no action needed. Note that your bill in Settings will not reflect this credit until you have been charged. Members who are in a paused state will receive this credit one month after their first charge. Verizon-billed users will automatically receive this as a one-time discount of $15 on their next bill. After that, the monthly price will revert back to $64.99 for new and existing members.

For any of you who were impacted and have initiated the cancellation process, we will still honor the one-time $15 credit on your bill if you resume your membership before you lose access. Visit tv.youtube.com/membership and click ‘Add’ to return the Base Plan to your membership. Note, you will still see a $64.99 price upon re-activating your membership, but a one-time discount will be reflected in your next bill.

We apologize for the disruption and appreciate your patience as we continued to negotiate on your behalf. We also appreciate Disney's partnership and willingness to work towards an agreement.

As always, thank you for being a YouTube TV member.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 08:38 PM   #13
upthesaukee

Default Channels are back

Channels are back but I did have to redo the custom "sort" I had for the channel lineup.

Dave