Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Aquadeziac

Default Waldo Peppers is now open!!!

Went up for a concert last night and were heading home via Laconia looking for lunch today and passed Waldos and saw they were open. We spun around at Lowes and headed in for lunch. Then we found they had just opened this morning. We we very pleased. Larger area, table service and the same excellent food. We had the pastrami sub and a fried clam dinner. Superb!! They will also be open for breakfast. Even better since our boat is right in Gilford. All Hail Waldo!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
White Rook
Deceased Member

Unhappy Just Missed !!!

We went to the concert last night at Meadow Brook and when we stopped at Waldo Pepper's for dinner, the place was busy with construction workers! Bummer We did however enjoy Patrick's Pub.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
jetskier

Default Stopped by for lunch

We stopped by for a late lunch today. The restaurant is much larger than the old location and they now have waitress service. The food was served hot and fresh....the lobster roll was good as ever and we did not have to fight the bike week crowd at the Weirs.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Newbiesaukee

Could anybody supply business hours?
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Aquadeziac

Default hours

I believe the sign out front said Daily 6am-9pm
Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
imalocal

Any chance we can get a menu posted (or a link to it)? We try to get takeout at work on Fridays and, now that they are closer, we can't wait to try them
imalocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
kjbathe

Some friends tried the breakfast buffet on Sunday and said it met with their approval -- so it appears they're off to a good (re)start...

Last edited by kjbathe; 06-23-2008 at 11:53 AM.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
Disney31

I would love to see a menu. I can't find a website for them. We're heading up for a week in July for vacation and I'm making a list of restaurants for us to eat at.
Disney31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
Newbiesaukee

The menu is a "temporary" one which will be added to. But it does contain the regulars...lobster rolls, seafood platters, subs, ribs, pulled pork, etc. I do not believe they are set up yet for pizza. We visited today as part of my food "research" and had the seafood platter; the Mrs., pulled pork. Just as good as ever, and that is pretty darned good!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
Hermit Cover

Thumbs up At long last....love the new place...

Right you are Newbie (s) !...At noon today an almost full parking lot and a nice almost full dining room!!! Wow....I'd guess WP's is back...

The waitstaff was quick and efficient and my chicken salad sub was just like I remember from the bygone (next to Guilbicki's) era.....funny how that works. Don'tcha love it when a good plan comes together? The kitchen was buzzin...the dining room is spacious...all great expandable tables....and I even heard some unsolicited compliments from a table of first-timers.

Can't wait to take Mrs. HC out to breakfast, lunch, or dinner.... or ALL Three! Wow! I can taste a Forum Fest coming on.....y'all come....hear?
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #11
Quilt Lady

Default Oh, goodie . . .

I sure am glad that Waldo's is back. Now DRH and I can return to our favorite place for dinner on our anniversary. But PLEASE, Pepper, no strippers this time!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilt Lady View Post
I sure am glad that Waldo's is back. Now DRH and I can return to our favorite place for dinner on our anniversary. But PLEASE, Pepper, no strippers this time!
OK,hold on there QL.You not getting away with that comment without some feedback.Were not talking about bass here I assume?I always thought WP's was a family place.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
Heaven

. . . . where . . . . . ?
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #14
Quilt Lady

Default It IS a family place!

It is a great place for family and friends to meet and eat.

The story is part of the Babes On Sleds legend. The Babes and their boys gathered at Waldo's for a celebration of a milestone birthday for one of the Babes. We ate some great food, laughed a lot and had a wonderful time. There were presents and cake. A great time was had by all. As things were winding down, a couple of Laconia Police Officers walked in for dinner. The quietest one of the group piped up with "Oh, look . . . the strippers are here!" Well, we all broke out in laughter and rowdy remarks (not so loud that the Officers could hear). We could barely contain ourselves so we decide we had better leave before we got into real trouble. Pepper later explained our weird behavior to the Officers and it gave them a smile.

So that is the story, part of the Legend of the Babes On Sleds!!!!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #15
eyenotall777

Default ?

With the "temporary" menu...has anyone got a hot buttered lobster roll yet?
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #16
jetskier

Default Almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyenotall777 View Post
I had the cold lobster roll on a toasted roll...does that count?

The lobster was generous with large pieces of meat. There was a little mayo and the roll was toasted and hot. All in all, it was fresh and well prepared. I tried the new seafood restaurant (Boston Seafood) and did not care for their lobster roll as much. I prefer the toasted roll and a base of lettuce for crunch and contrast. Just my opinion.

Jetskier
Old 06-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #17
ghfromaltonbay

Default Cold "hot" lobster roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyenotall777 View Post
We were there yesterday, and I have to say this is the first time I was disappointed. 2 of us ordered the hot lobster rolls and they came with no drawn butter. I asked the waitress and she brought the butter after a long wait. I was shocked at the first bite, the lobster was ice cold like straight out of the fridge. I hope this is just opening week wrinkles that will be straightened out. The 2 waitresses seemed to be under 16 and very nervous and tentative about serving.

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 06-30-2008 at 03:49 PM.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #18
Silver Duck

Talking They're Back!

We stopped by for supper tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed our first visit (as well as seeing Pepper again! Her hugs are as hearty as ever, and we had the pleasure of her company as we ate! )

GH, I suspect that what you experienced was merely a shakedown glitch.

As Pepper was telling us, opening a new place means a new staff to be trained, a new kitchen to get used to, and a new routine to be established.

Yes, the wait staff is still maybe a little bit tentative (how not?), but boy were those kids hustling and eager to please!

The new place has all the good things from the old Waldo Peppers, and a nice new facility into the bargain - yeehah!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #19
itchin for fishin

Default Location again?

I remember the general area where Waldo's was moving but forgot exactly where. Can you help me out?
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #20
Aquadeziac

Default directions

On Rte 11 just East of the driveway exit of Walmart. The next place after the Bank. Used to be a small used car dealership.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #21
Rattlesnake Guy

Same side of the street as Lowes. Across from the Walmart Plaza.

When are the best times of day to spot the elusive and exotic pepper in her natural habitat?

Nothing like the legendary "hug" to make everything taste better.

Yesterday was a cards and games day for our family and we kept hearing the "Waldos" ad on the local country station. Way cool.

Best of luck to Waldo and Pepper
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #22
Just Sold

I enjoyed WP's clam plate yesterday. Great food, great place, bright and cherry. To me it looked like they are doing a good business when I visited in mid afternoon. Unfortunately Pepper had just stepped out so I did not get my hug so she owes me one!
Old 06-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #23
fatlazyless

Talking about Pepper....was she really in the Marine Corps....I thought I heard someone say that she served in the Marines....honest.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #24
Silver Duck

Yes, she was.
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #25
NHskier

Default Just made myself hungry again ....

We stopped in for our first visit to the new place yesterday about 1:00. Though it was quite busy the service was fast and the food was great. We love the lobster rolls but were both up for pastrami yesterday which we've had in the past). Just melts in your mouth.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #26
jrc

We tried out the new WP on Saturday night. We were actually right across the aisle from Pepper and I thought I recognized Mr + Mrs Silver Duck. We stayed incognito to avoid any fanfare

The haddock plate was great and my wife had the famous steak sub and some O-rings and it was perfect . We were gald to see these favorites made to the new place intact.

The new place is very bright and cheerful, it has huge windows and high ceilings.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #27
hazelnut

Congratulations Pepper on your new place. It sounds like it is a hit. I wish you and yours well. I can not wait for our first trip to the NEW peppers. Do my 4 1/2 year old twin boys get free cookies still. HA HA HA .... Hope to enjoy some great food soon.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:23 AM   #28
twoplustwo

Thumbs up can't wait to go again

The kids and I gorged ourselves at the new WP's yesterday prior to hitting a movie, and I was still stuffed at dinner time. My teen and I both had cheesesteaks, which are are loaded with meat (and the rolls were fabu, as you promised, Pepper!) and my little one picked at her cheeseburger since she wanted to save her appetite for candy at Wall-e but declared it 'yummy' all the same. The fries were excellent, and I'm not usually a fry fan.

Everything was delicious, the place is neat as a pin, and our server was attentive and accomodating. We ran into some friends who were leaving as we were coming, and they loved their lunch as well. My only complaint was my stomach isn't big enough to try the lobster roll, the pulled pork, and the ribs at the same time. I'll have to suffer through multiple visits, I guess

We got to meet the lovely Pepper and get those hugs you're looking for, Rattlesnake Guy. You're right, it makes the visit even better. We can't wait to go back. I plan on conquering that giant lobster roll, next.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #29
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Thumbs up Review

We visited the new Waldo Pepper's yesterday after leaving the NASCAR race early. We were pleasantly surprised to see a flat screen tv on the wall and even more pleased when upon request the channel was turned to the race, which we comfortably watched until the end while waiting for our just rewards-the double stuffed lobster rolls! Served with fries on a plastic platter, the lobster rolls were very good, with a heaping portion of lobster, no fillers, over shredded lettuce on a toasted New England style hot dog bun. The pink lemonade was tangy and refreshing. The table service was friendly and efficient.

Waldo greeted us and we introduced ourselves to him. He had been very busy catering for some NASCAR teams over the weekend and was happy we chose his establishment for our after race meal.

The new restaurant is clean, airy and neat as mentioned in a previous post. The larger dining room is divided by a half partition wall. The light colored pine wainscotting gives the interior a cozy feel and highlights the deep terra cotta colored walls above. The new wooden dining tables have drop leaves, so if you have a need for an extra seat, just pop it up and pull in another chair. In fact, a family near us did just that.

We look forward to visiting Waldo Pepper's again and we wish them all the best!

Last edited by moose tracks; 07-01-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling error
moose tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #30
sa meredith

Default breakfast?

A good friend recently said they had breakfast at the new Waldo Pepper's .
Said is was buffet style. I did not know WP offered breakfast.
Anyway, she said is was OK, food not very hot. I think a breakfast buffet is a tought thing to do. Kinda hard to guess at volume, and many breakfast foods are tought to keep fresh.
Wondering, if indeed it was WP?? And is breakfast a new venture for them?
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #31
Newbiesaukee

Yes and yes. And I think it is difficult to maintain quality at a hot breakfast buffet.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #32
White Rook
Deceased Member

Smile Finally Made It !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rook View Post
We went to the concert last night at Meadow Brook and when we stopped at Waldo Pepper's for dinner, the place was busy with construction workers! Bummer We did however enjoy Patrick's Pub.
This past weekend was our first stay over at the lake this season. The wife and I ate at Waldo Pepper's both Saturday and Sunday evening. The wife had a chicken parm sandwich which was very good. I had the double stuffed lobster roll with fries and cole slaw. As usual, it was outstanding.

The place is clean, orderly, and the wait staff is very friendly. A dozen or so people in our marina frequent Waldo Pepper's every weekend and they are always satisfied. We took their menu which is presently a temporary limited one and we're going to post it in the marina's boat house. Looking forward to chowing down this weekend!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #33
riverat

We went to Waldo Peppers for Supper last night and was pleasantly surprised to find Pepper in the kitchen, we figured she would be at her full time job. We got our Pepper Hug and also had a fantastic meal. The place is very roomy and the tables make you feel like you are sitting at home. Very nice place and staff, very pleased with food and service. Thank you Pepper and keep the faith, you have the right vision.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #34
Happy Gourmand

Default Pepper's "FAMOUS LOBSTA ROLL"

We stopped at WP last week on our way home, mostly because of the high recommendations and posts on this website. My daughter ordered the lobster roll, my wife ordered the fish dinner and I ordered the big daddy of them all...the seafood dinner which also included a lobster roll that I initially reluctantly agreed to share with my wife.
The fish dinner was good. French fries on all the orders were excellent.
But the lobster rolls..... there were no discernable pieces of lobster on either of the 2 lobster rolls that were brought to the table. No claw meat and no tail meat. If I guessed that they were 90% leg meat, I think it would be an underestimate. So, as such, they were dry and quite stringy. Was I supposed to ask for drawn butter? I had previously never seen so much lobster leg meat on one place before. After 2 bites, I passed the remainder to my better half in trade for some of her fish. It wasn't a good trade for her.
We were all quite disappointed to say the least.
I'm not looking to flame anybody or any establishment. The opinions expressed are just that...opinions. If you agree with me, fine. If you don't then rather than flame me for my opinion. let's just respectfully agree to disagree about my opinion.
The Phantom Gourmand rates WP's lobster roll a 3 (out of a possible 10).
WP's lobster roll is not on the Phantom Gourmand's recommended list.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
GWC... (08-24-2008), Pineedles (08-24-2008)
Old 07-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #35
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs down I find it hard too beleive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
We stopped at WP last week on our way home, mostly because of the high recommendations and posts on this website. My daughter ordered the lobster roll, my wife ordered the fish dinner and I ordered the big daddy of them all...the seafood dinner which also included a lobster roll that I initially reluctantly agreed to share with my wife.
But the lobster rolls..... there were no discernable pieces of lobster on either of the 2 lobster rolls that were brought to the table. No claw meat and no tail meat. If I guessed that they were 90% leg meat, I think it would be an underestimate. So, as such, they were dry and quite stringy. Was I supposed to ask for drawn butter? I had previously never seen so much lobster leg meat on one place before. After 2 bites, I passed the remainder to my better half in trade for some of her fish. It wasn't a good trade for her.
I'm not looking to flame anybody or any establishment. The opinions expressed are just that...opinions. If you agree with me, fine. If you don't then rather than flame me for my opinion. let's just respectfully agree to disagree about my opinion.
Phantom,

This has to be the first post that has spoken negitively about the Lobster Rolls at WP's. I think I will give you a 1 out of 10 for your performance after 5 days on the Forum.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #36
fpartri497

Default the phamtom gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Phantom,

This has to be the first post that has spoken negitively about the Lobster Rolls at WP's. I think I will give you a 1 out of 10 for your performance after 5 days on the Forum.
My wife and i last tuesday afternoon about 5.30 p.m. both had the double stuffed and as usual they where faboulas. I had hot buttered, and wife had mayo on the side both where great By the way pepper, the new restraunt is very nice with a great location. we wish you well

fpartri497

Old 07-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #37
Pineedles

Quote:
But the lobster rolls..... there were no discernable pieces of lobster on either of the 2 lobster rolls that were brought to the table. No claw meat and no tail meat. If I guessed that they were 90% leg meat, I think it would be an underestimate. So, as such, they were dry and quite stringy. I had previously never seen so much lobster leg meat on one place before. I'm not looking to flame anybody or any establishment. The opinions expressed are just that...opinions. If you agree with me, fine. If you don't then rather than flame me for my opinion. let's just respectfully agree to disagree about my opinion.
Having read all the reviews of WP's, I would believe that you either are a liar, or are blind and you must have been at some other restaurant in the lakes Region. So much for "Don't Flame Me". As far as "respectfully agree to disagree", liars don't deserve respect. If you wish to provide evidence that you are legally blind and went to a different establishment, then I apologize.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #38
Mr. V

Is it true that the pizza oven isn't up and running yet?

Say it isn't so!

I'm flying out August first for a vacation, and plan to take several tasty meals at Waldo Peppers.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #39
Resident 2B

Default No Way!

Quote:
I have ten or more lobster rolls from Waldo-Peppers each year for each of the last three years. What you have described as your lobster roll simply is not what Waldo-Peppers serves. This makes no sense to me. Waldo-Peppers have many fairly large chunks of claw and tail meat in every lobster roll I have purchased from them. Waldo-Peppers quality is totally consistent.

R2B

Last edited by Resident 2B; 07-11-2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: corrected poor spelling
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #40
Irish mist

Quote:
I don't eat lobster, but a family member does, and she has tried WP lobster rolls & told me that they were the best she has tried around the lake.....by far.

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #41
Waterbaby

Default Consider Yourself FLAMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Sorry, but I have no respect for your opinion..............nor your name (pretension, you are not the Phantom GourMET). I was eating at WPs way before I ever found this forum, before WPs was a "forum favorite", and before I ever heard of Pepper, on numerous holiday weekends when it would rain and my husband and son and I would play board games in the motel room (at Bay Top Motel) and was looking for the closest place to get just plain sustenance, at that point not much else mattered.

We lucked out, with Waldo Pepper's being basically the closest place to drive to in the pouring rain. Waldo's service and food and hospitality were always wonderful. This was before the "lobstah" roll was introduced, before the fried clams, before a whole lot -- it was pizza and subs, and I always remained loyal. Since then they have grown, expanded, and now moved into a new location -- and I wish Barbara and Bruce nothing but the best!

I find it interesting that you've had only ONE post, and it was to denigrate them....................so what's that say for you? (Sorry Webmaster, if you choose to delete this post so be it, but this was just plain nasty on the poster's part.)
Old 07-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #42
Newbiesaukee

I am not quite sure what is going on, but.... I have been a very strong supporter of Waldo Peppers and have eaten in the new place twice already. The food is great and the new place is an improvement. However, we ate there today around noon today and the classic (cold) lobster roll was different. There did seem an abundance of stringy meat and much less claw or tail meat. It was good, but it wasn't up to Pepper's standards. Perhaps it just was a less than good batch. I would have given it a 5 compared to the usual WP 9-10. My thought was that it was just an off day and I was not going to report it and I certainly will go back to WP. Although calling it a 3 is a little harsh, we do not need to call each other names. Perhaps we can all step back and have a WP roll. I am sure WP just had a "glitch." There is always a problem when a restaurant is judged on one visit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
GWC... (08-24-2008)
Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #43
jetskier

Default Same Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I am not quite sure what is going on, but.... I have been a very strong supporter of Waldo Peppers and have eaten in the new place twice already. The food is great and the new place is an improvement. However, we ate there today around noon today and the classic (cold) lobster roll was different. There did seem an abundance of stringy meat and much less claw or tail meat. It was good, but it wasn't up to Pepper's standards. Perhaps it just was a less than good batch. I would have given it a 5 compared to the usual WP 9-10. My thought was that it was just an off day and I was not going to report it and I certainly will go back to WP. Although calling it a 3 is a little harsh, we do not need to call each other names. Perhaps we can all step back and have a WP roll. I am sure WP just had a "glitch." There is always a problem when a restaurant is judged on one visit.
We have stopped in a couple of times and the first time was great. The second time was similar to your experience. The lobster roll was stringy with little or no claw meat. I am chalking this up to start-up and we will try them again.

Jetskier
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
GWC... (08-24-2008)
Old 07-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #44
sa meredith

Default Come on now!!!!!!!!!

HONEST TO GOODNESS POEPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW FOOLISH YOU TRULY SOUND.
I'LL BE THE BAD GUY, I DON'T CARE!!!!
I knew when I was reading the post about Waldo Peppers not being "the greatest of all time" the guy would get crucified for not saying how much he loved the world famous Waldo Pepper's Lobster Roll. Everyone comes back calling the guy a liar, and ridiculing him as being a new member of the forum??? So, as a new memeber, his opinion is not valid???!!! You folks embarrass yourselves. I realize many people are friends with Pepper, and, although I don't know her nearly well enough to call her a friend, the two times I have met her in her old store, she seemed like a complete sweetheart...salt of the earth type person. But...the restauant is simply not immune from negative reviews. You people calling this guy a liar???? Shame, shame! Funny, the Lobster Pound gets a negative review, and everyone jumps in. Someone mentions something negative about WP, and because she is a friend to many members, you all think the guy is a liar. JUST PLAIN FOOLISH.
Here's a news flash....I went yesterday, 2:20 PM, got a lobster roll to go. Ate half, and tossed it. I'm sure it is a temporary glitch, and will be fixed, but it just was not good. I still like Pepper. She is a fantastic person. But the sandwich was not right! OK now, everyone line up and call me a liar!!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #45
RLW

Default Phantom Gourmand

I'm not really sure if you were in the right place. My family in the past 3 or 4 years have never had a bad lobster roll at WP and we have ordered very close to 100 of them over the years. I'm sorry, but I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree with all your comments.
Have a great day all and enjoy this wonderful summer weather.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #46
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

I dropped by the new location this week but haven't tried the food yet. Business was brisk for a weekday afternoon as you can see from the full parking lot.

Although she doesn't look too good right now, I understand that the old Cessna will be repaired and displayed in a new location in front of the building.

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #47
Mee-n-Mac

Talking On a wing and a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
{snip}

Although she doesn't look too good right now, I understand that the old Cessna will be repaired and displayed in a new location in front of the building.

I tell ya, with a little duck tape, a couple of leftover doors and mebbe some Super Glue Red Green would have her flying again in no time .....
Old 07-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #48
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Phantom,

After reading the comments posted after mine I began to think why you would use such a name as Phantom Gourmand if you realy did not have some kind of Hidden Adgender here. It sounds like you have gone way out of your way to deny any involvment with the food industry, which could mean just the opposit.
Maybe this is not the only name you use to troll the forum?

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #49
sa meredith

Default Curious

Winnocturn...
I'm curious if you would tell us....
You seem to have some issue with Phantom's posting. And call into question his review, somehow based on the fact he is a new forum member.
And yet, Jetskier posts that he experienced the same thing, and you take no issue with it. He has been a member snce 04, with 300 plus posts. Have you considered the possibilty that it was an honest review of a bad experience?
As I stated earlier, I too recently had food there that was "quailty challenged". I'm sure it was just some honest mistake, but you can't get jummpy because someone has something negative to say.
I realize that any Waldo Pepper thread on this forum is usually a big "love in", but hey, someone didn't care for what they had, and posted it.
I see no bad intent.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #50
phoenix

my wife and i went there today and we both agree that it wasn't up to par and i agree with the most recent posts that lobster roll was stringy in fact wasn't as good as the last two I had at the new Boston Seafood( which at the time was 10.95- $3 cheaper) will certainly go back but more than a few have now stated the same concern
Old 07-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #51
MaidenCove07

Default Wowwwwww....well another recent Lobster Roll complaint to report

I'm surprised about the back and forth about Waldo's lobster rolls. Makes me hesitant to report my first experience at the new Waldo's....
But alas, the pen (or cursor...?) is mightier than the sticks and stones...

Was there Wednesday for lunch for the first time at the new location. Was not too impressed with the waitress service - I'm totally grossed out to see my food preparers/servers smoking then coming to my table without washing their hands...ICK! That's what my waitress did...I was too tired to care enough to complain knowing I was just getting my menu anyway.

I ordered the lobster roll with fries and my pal had the Italian sub. She loved her sub, especially the banana peppers.
My fries were totally fresh and yummy.
But my lobster roll was huge disappointment compared to lobster rolls of the past. I had the cold one, but the filling was luke-warm. There was one claw piece, but tons of what others have described as stringy stuff. It was very dry and unenjoyable.

I will, of course, return after a while and see if there are improvements, but I hope the constructive criticism is taken as just that ... I'm a HUGE Waldo Pepper fan, irrespective of how amazingly friendly Barbara is. I hope and expect things will come around.

Then again, maybe it nothing will taste so good because Pepper isn't the one delivering it to my table...
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:36 AM   #52
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

We made our first and last visit yesterday. We both had the haddock plate. The ice tea was good, fries were excellent but..... the fish was overcooked and with a heavy breading that overwhelmed the fish. The coleslaw was fresh made but the dressing had no flavor. And the thin wedge of lemon was cut from a lemon that was way past it's time.
The bill for the two plates, two ice teas, tax was $27.80.

So while the meal not a total loss, IMHO there are much better choices in the area for that type of fare.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:53 AM   #53
Rose

Default Non-seafood

Okay, for those of us who don't eat seafood (sacrilege, I know), how are the non-seafood items...burgers, salads, subs?
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 AM   #54
Island Girl

Default If the food is not good, tell them

If you are unsatisfied with anything at a restaurant you should tell the management. Most are very appreciative to know if their staff is not performing and quality is not up to their standards. I know Pepper wants to know as her standards are very high.

As for posting negative reviews here, my opinion is that the first step is to tell management of the issue and wait. If the issue is still there another time, then a negative review is appropriate. We have a lot of power on the internet to destroy a business with poor reviews. I believe it is important to give any restaurant the chance to make good on a negative experience.

Waldo Pepper lovers are that for a reason. The standards set by Barbara and Bruce are very high. They are not a large chain but a local business trying to serve a need and stay in business. We need this type of business in the area to support the tourism $ that keep the Lakes Region alive.

So please.. tell them if you are not happy with their product... their past performance has always been outstanding.

Anyone up for a Pepperfest?

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #55
Pineedles

Default My apologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
my wife and i went there today and we both agree that it wasn't up to par and i agree with the most recent posts that lobster roll was stringy in fact wasn't as good as the last two I had at the new Boston Seafood( which at the time was 10.95- $3 cheaper) will certainly go back but more than a few have now stated the same concern
I searched past posts by Phoenix and saw that he has raved about WP's since 2004. Satisfied that his opinion in the above is an honest review of the current situation, I apologize to you Phantom for calling you a liar. It is unfortunate though that you chose to post a negative review as your first post which led me to giving you very little credibility, sorry.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #56
jetskier

Default Fair is fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
If you are unsatisfied with anything at a restaurant you should tell the management. Most are very appreciative to know if their staff is not performing and quality is not up to their standards. I know Pepper wants to know as her standards are very high.

As for posting negative reviews here, my opinion is that the first step is to tell management of the issue and wait. If the issue is still there another time, then a negative review is appropriate. We have a lot of power on the internet to destroy a business with poor reviews. I believe it is important to give any restaurant the chance to make good on a negative experience.

Waldo Pepper lovers are that for a reason. The standards set by Barbara and Bruce are very high. They are not a large chain but a local business trying to serve a need and stay in business. We need this type of business in the area to support the tourism $ that keep the Lakes Region alive.

So please.. tell them if you are not happy with their product... their past performance has always been outstanding.

Anyone up for a Pepperfest?

IG
I understand that Waldo Pepper is a small local business and many of us have supported it loyally over the years. Their food has been consistantly good and everyone enjoyed talking with Barbara.

I am not sure how involved Barbara and Bruce are with the business these days. When we had concerns about the quality, I sent Barbara an email. My sense was that I owed it to her to tell her. Businesses such as this live or die on word of mouth...that happens predominantly outside this forum. I did not hear back. In addition, we have not heard anything on this forum by way of a response.

I think that it is completely fair to post the good and the bad about any restaurant. That is the purpose of this forum.

I truely like Waldo Pepper and will do my best to support them. However, when there is an issue good businesses simply address it. They have a great location and a loyal following it would be a shame to falter where they have been so good on quality in the past.

Jetskier
Old 07-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #57
Happy Gourmand

Default Pineneedles apology

Pineneedles, I graciously accept your apology. I agree that it is sad that my first review was seen as negative. In that review, I did mention some good things about WP. I know the positives are easier to overlook than the negatives. Truth be told, I have been a customer of WP's for a LONG TIME. The food was always good. The mark of a good restaurant is consistency, it was obvious at my last visit that the quality of the lobster rolls was not consistent with what has been previously reported or experienced. At the time of my visit, there were many of the lobster rolls served besides the 2 we got. As I was sitting close to where the servers came out of the kitchen, it appeared that all the lobster rolls contained the stringy leg meat rather than the tail and claw meat. The rest of the food served was hot, fresh and prepared well.
Once again, my intent is not to flame or denigrate the reputation of any establishment, but rather report, as honestly and accurately as I can, MY experience on a particular visit.
I like to think that the owner/operators of WP's and any future reviewed eateries will accept them as constructive criticism and correct the issues accordingly. My comments, corroborated by others is a clear indication that something is awry with the lobster rolls at WP's. Maybe the 3 rating was a little harsh, but I would not rate it to anything higher than a 4. The decision to return to the quality of the lobster that we all previously enjoyed is entirely up to the owners of the restaurant.
Did you see my latest review of Louis Nasis's Famous Pizza?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #58
Rose

I think many people are uncomfortable complaining face to face with management because they were taught not to complain or are wary about what the response will be. I've seen interesting responses when I or a fellow customer have complained to business owners or management. Some have been receptive, some have been belligerent, and one even ran and hid at the back of the restaurant.

I'm planning on being at Waldo's sometime tomorrow for lunch with Sister Rose and Nephew Rose #3.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #59
Winnigirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Okay, for those of us who don't eat seafood (sacrilege, I know), how are the non-seafood items...burgers, salads, subs?
Their roast beef subs with the works are the best I've had in the area.
Winnigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #60
Newbiesaukee

The ribs and the pulled pork are also excellent.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #61
DRH

Default Second That!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
The ribs and the pulled pork are also excellent.
I can second that ... I had a pulled pork barbeque sub last Thursday evening and it was delicious. Quilt Lady had a chicken parm. sub and it was excellent, too. On our previous visit a week or so before that I had a haddock hoagie and QL had a cheesesteak sub. Both were excellent.

I think we all need to recognize that any new business, including a new restaurant, will have some initial kinks to work out. The new Waldo's has different kitchen equipment, an expanded menu, and a new staff. As others have said, it is incumbent upon the owners and/or managers of such new businesses to correct any initial problems as soon as possible, but let's give Barbara and Bruce a fair chance to do so. As those of us who were customers of the old Waldo's know, both Barbara and Bruce set high standards, both for the quality of their food and the quality of their service. I think we'll see them make any necessary changes in their new establishment very soon.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #62
sa meredith

Default agree

DHL
I am in complete agreement with what you said about a new business and so forth. I wish them nothing but the best, and will continue to visit from time to time (although the new location is bit off my path). In the past, the lobster rolls have been unreal.
What I took MAJOR issue with yesterday (I don't know if you read my two posts from 7/12) was long time members of this forum just laying into a guy who posted something negative about WP. (one has since apologized). Coming right out and calling him a liar, and saying they gave his post zero credibility, and a person actually saying they had no respect for his opinion.
It was almost comical. Sort of like "how dare anyone say anything about the great Waldo Peppers. Don't you realize every member here is a friend of the owner. Curse you". The posts shocked me. The odd thing was that the post really was well written and not all negative. Mildly negative actually. And I agreed with it, as I had bought a lobster roll the day before, and actually tossed half of it away.
I think a couple more apologies are due to Phantom...
Old 07-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #63
Island Life

Default tasteless lobster roll

I tried the new location last week. I'd had one lobster roll at the old location - probably a year ago - and thought it was pretty good.

But on this visit, the waitress was either bored or unfriendly and the young woman at the cash register was suffering from the same thing. I was excited to try the lobster roll but was disappointed because it had no taste whatsoever. The portions were big - and I only ordered the single - but it was almost completely without taste. I had thought I wouldn't post my experience since many of you are really friendly with the owners but when I read that others have had similar experiences I thought I'd chime in. I want small businesses to succeed in the area but unless they are made aware of the fact that there might be a problem, it will only hurt their business. I'll try it again next year and if the food is better, I'll go more often. if not, unfortunately I won't. Negative feedback, when honest and fair, is sometimes much more helpful than positive feedback.

The rest of my family enjoyed their meals but I don't remember what they ate.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #64
Waterbaby

Default I, Too, Apologize

Quote:
Pineneedles, I graciously accept your apology. I agree that it is sad that my first review was seen as negative. In that review, I did mention some good things about WP. I know the positives are easier to overlook than the negatives. Truth be told, I have been a customer of WP's for a LONG TIME. The food was always good. The mark of a good restaurant is consistency, it was obvious at my last visit that the quality of the lobster rolls was not consistent with what has been previously reported or experienced. At the time of my visit, there were many of the lobster rolls served besides the 2 we got. As I was sitting close to where the servers came out of the kitchen, it appeared that all the lobster rolls contained the stringy leg meat rather than the tail and claw meat. The rest of the food served was hot, fresh and prepared well.
Once again, my intent is not to flame or denigrate the reputation of any establishment, but rather report, as honestly and accurately as I can, MY experience on a particular visit.
I like to think that the owner/operators of WP's and any future reviewed eateries will accept them as constructive criticism and correct the issues accordingly. My comments, corroborated by others is a clear indication that something is awry with the lobster rolls at WP's. Maybe the 3 rating was a little harsh, but I would not rate it to anything higher than a 4. The decision to return to the quality of the lobster that we all previously enjoyed is entirely up to the owners of the restaurant.
Did you see my latest review of Louis Nasis's Famous Pizza?
Phantom, I also sincerely apologize for my post to you -- I did take your post in a very negative manner, I wouldn't have replied to you the way I did had you stated in your first post that you were a longtime customer of WP's. (Of course, my crystal ball wasn't working that night, so I didn't know you had been one ) You didn't have your crystal ball working either, so you didn't realize that I had read many posts from "one post wonders" who only pop in to make a negative comment and then disappear, so when I read your post, well, what can I say. I, however, can say NOW I appreciate your post, in light of your response to Pineneedles, (and I hope you don't confuse us, as we both use the bear for our avatar - I HAD IT FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol) and I hope you can accept my apology also. Perhaps we will meet sometime on the lake -- preferably at a restaurant where we can share reviews!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #65
Happy Gourmand

Default Another apology accepted

Waterbaby, thank you, too. Your apology is also accepted. I have to admit, with the same avitar and the same kind of comments, I was thinking that you and Pineneedles were somehow "related" . I'm sorry too if I kinda raised the hair on the back of your neck with my posting. It was an honest review, and I hope the owners take note and correct the deficiency. ( note that to date, the owners have not posted any comments...a little disappointing, would you not agree? )
I am a relative newbie in the Lakes region, 13th year now, formerly in Moultonboro and now, Meredith. I am also a REAL NH NATIVE, I know...a rare breed...I'm thinking pretty soon they will let the few of us remaining open a Casino!
Oh, and does this post make me a 4 post wonder?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:44 AM   #66
SIKSUKR

OK,it's my turn.Had my first chance to eat at WP's yesterday.The two of us sat at a window seat and it took a few minutes for a waitress to get to our table with only 3 tables full.She was very apologetic but I did not wait more than 3 minutes.My better half ordered the 1\2 Italian sandwich with onions only and I ordered the classic cheesesteak with onions.Oh ya,and a side of onion rings.My sandwich was the usual very good Philly sub but I didn't notice right away that it was missing the onions.The Ms sub was stuffed full of meat as always but came out with everything on it including hots.She kind of picked off what she didn't want and we finished our meals.Onion rings were very good.While we ate I looked around and felt this place has no soul like the other one.I'm sure it will in due time but for now it felt like a very cold atmosphere mostly because there was not much of the interesting stuff hanging around the walls.I'm sure this will change.As regular members know I consider Pepper a friend.So here's my honest opinion.I was a little disapointed and wanted to visit the old place.It's very soon after their opening so I will assume things will start to get some flavor of the old WP's.Actually,I have no doubt about it.Keep at it Bruce and Pepper!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #67
riverat

As I posted on 7/11 we had visited the new place and what we had was very good. But we had a rare oppertunity to talk to Barbara while we were there, I will not get into specifics but she had plenty to say about the difficulties that she has been having with the "help" and the fact that she is having a hard time finding "help" that "Get It" (meaning, the way Bruce and herself feel about the way customers should be catered to and held dearly as friends and family should be) It has not been an easy venture with the town of Gilford either, one hurdle after another. She still has the same vision as before and will not settle for anything less( as people who know them can attest too) They will once again be the great Waldo Peppers and than some but they need the time to fix and adjust and finely tune their business. Keep the faith. Also, both are working full-time jobs else where and also working at the restaurant and she stated she wishes she could find time to get back on the forum and say Hi to everyone soon. Big "HUG" from me and the mrs. Pepper.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #68
Pepper

Default Thank You!!!

First and foremost, I wish to extend my most sincere THANK YOU to Phantom Gourmand, Jetskier, GHfromAltonBay, SIKSUKR, IslandLife, Newbiesaukee, Slickcraft, MaidenCove07, and anyone else whom I may have missed listing, who have given us their honest negative feedback! As bizarre as it may sound, that is FAR more important than any positive feedback, and you have provided me with the information I need in order to correct the problems!

I have printed out this entire thread, and with the help of a bright yellow highlighter, it will prove invaluable as a training tool. It's been a very stressful three weeks, as we work to train so many new staff members ~ bringing them up to our rigid standards is not easy. With the facts printed out in black and white, it should be a bit easier for our new team members to see more clearly why our standards are so high, and we make such a big deal about maintaining them.

I'm truly mortified to read many of these posts, because it means we are failing you, our loyal customers! My sincerest apologies to all who have experienced issues at our restaurant, and my pledge to you that your comments are not taken lightly. Over the next few days I will be contacting each of you privately, and hope that you will allow us to make things right.

To the many who shared their good experiences, I thank you as well. It does help to know that we are managing to get it right at least some of the time.

Again, my apologies to all who have had a less-than-Waldo's-standards experience, and my deepest thanks to all who brought their issues to the table here. Please, continue to be honest and forthright, so that we may know what our weaknesses are and work to strenghthen them!

Gotta go now ~ I've got A LOT OF WORK TO DO!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #69
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post

Hang in there...

Semper Fi
Old 07-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #70
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
First and foremost, I wish to extend my most sincere THANK YOU to Phantom Gourmand, Jetskier, GHfromAltonBay, SIKSUKR, IslandLife, Newbiesaukee, Slickcraft, MaidenCove07, and anyone else whom I may have missed listing, who have given us their honest negative feedback! As bizarre as it may sound, that is FAR more important than any positive feedback, and you have provided me with the information I need in order to correct the problems!
Pepper: I am so impressed with your reply that we will give WP another try.

When we were driving home that evening I commented to my wife that customers are often reluctant to say something negative when asked how the meal was. Maybe a good question would be: "Do you have any suggestions as to how we can improve"?

BTW, when the waitress asked the couple at a table next to us how everything was and got a negative reply, she quietly said sorry and quickly retreated. I don't think that she was ready for or knew how to handle a complaint.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #71
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
When we were driving home that evening I commented to my wife that customers are often reluctant to say something negative when asked how the meal was. Maybe a good question would be: "Do you have any suggestions as to how we can improve"?

BTW, when the waitress asked the couple at a table next to us how everything was and got a negative reply, she quietly said sorry and quickly retreated. I don't think that she was ready for or knew how to handle a complaint.
More good and helpful information! I will make a concerted effort to empower our waitstaff with the necessary skills to immediately address issues, as well as insist that they bring these issues to the attention of managers immediately as well. If the waitstaff ignore the issue that's unacceptable!

Thank you, and keep it coming!!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #72
ITD

Quote:

I have printed out this entire thread, and with the help of a bright yellow highlighter, it will prove invaluable as a training tool. It's been a very stressful three weeks, as we work to train so many new staff members ~ bringing them up to our rigid standards is not easy. With the facts printed out in black and white, it should be a bit easier for our new team members to see more clearly why our standards are so high, and we make such a big deal about maintaining them.

I'm truly mortified to read many of these posts, because it means we are failing you, our loyal customers! My sincerest apologies to all who have experienced issues at our restaurant, and my pledge to you that your comments are not taken lightly. Over the next few days I will be contacting each of you privately, and hope that you will allow us to make things right.

To the many who shared their good experiences, I thank you as well. It does help to know that we are managing to get it right at least some of the time.

Again, my apologies to all who have had a less-than-Waldo's-standards experience, and my deepest thanks to all who brought their issues to the table here. Please, continue to be honest and forthright, so that we may know what our weaknesses are and work to strenghthen them!

What a CLASS act.....
I've never been to Pepper's, mostly logistics and distance. Now it is even further away, but I am going to try to make it a point to visit, sounds like a great place. Good luck.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #73
ironhorsetim

Thumbs up hungry

All this reading made me crave WP steak & cheese /w salami..(better than salt & pepper) so off I went and boy am I a happy camper this was the first time there since they moved the location has changed but the subs are still the bomb
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #74
spinker

Default what happend ?

Pepper, what happened to your delicious cole slaw? I always would order 2 or 3 sides. My wife had a lobster roll, was not like it used to be. I had fried clams, not anything different as your food used to be. I think we need you back pepper. Sometimes partners will not have the dedication that you had, they could be inclined to cut corners on quality to make their investment return quickly. Something is wrong somewhere. Be carefull you may become just another run of the mill sandwich shop, not Waldo Peppers.

Larry
spinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #75
twoplustwo

Default steak and cheese?

All this reading made me crave WP steak & cheese /w salami

They do not have steak & cheese at WP, they have cheesesteaks. Get it right! (That's a Philly reference, and Pepper and I may be the only ones that get it)

And Pepper, have I told you lately that I love you? You'll get the kinks worked out.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #76
eyenotall777

I am a big fan of WP's cole slaw, absolutely the best!!!! But I will admit and have been relunctant to do so (for fear of getting u know what), that we visited probably the 3rd/4th day they opened. Building is nice/big parking lot, tables. But, I liked it better when you would order your food at the counter and go sit down. With the 8% NH Meals tax, alot of peeps on fixed incomes do not have the extra money to tip a waitress vs. leaving something in a tip jar @ the counter. As for the waitress, she was nice, but it take a while to get our menus/drinks. Again, better when you there was more of an option when you had both bottled Pepsi and Coke products in the sliders and pick your own vs. fountain.

When we ordered our lobster rolls off the menu provided (there was not an option of "hot"/"cold") and the waitress never asked "hot" or "cold" which is what we are accustomed to when visiting the old WP's, therefore, I personally made a point that I wanted "cold" and my husband "hot" as he loves their hot buttered lobster roll and does not like mayo at all w/ his lobster. The waitress did in fact right it down on the slip, but when the order came, his was not a "hot buttered" lobster roll and that is what he really wanted. I felt bad for him and the problem did not get fixed and we made it very clear that is not what was ordered and the waitress knew that, nor did they state that "hot" was not an option at that time of ordering. The waitress did offer to take an order of fries off the bill when she came back to the table (do not know if she spoke to Pepper or not, but she was there servicing tables herself) but he would have been happier if the untouched roll was removed from our table and returned as "hot buttered" and we were never provided that option and he ate it reluctantly. The meat was fine, claw and tail meat. The onion rings were good, but we prefer the "old" rings better.

It will be awhile before we attempt a visit again as we were somewhat disappointed as loyal customers, but we do believe in 2nd chances.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #77
Ryan

I visited WP the second day they were open back in June. I was very happy with the service, the Lobster Roll and the fries.

I will say, there was a couple that was seated across from us that was not too happy with the service. They were seated before us in a different server's section and had not yet been greeted by the time our food arrived. The expressions on their faces spoke volumes!

I was informed that WP will be open all winter long, and is adjacent to the sledding trails. I think a few 'sled parking' signs will make this a very popular breakfast and lunch spot along the trail.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #78
Rattlesnake Guy

Pepper,
That is just the kind of attitude that will keep us coming back.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #79
Waterbaby

Default YW, amd TY

Quote:
Waterbaby, thank you, too. Your apology is also accepted. I have to admit, with the same avitar and the same kind of comments, I was thinking that you and Pineneedles were somehow "related" . I'm sorry too if I kinda raised the hair on the back of your neck with my posting. It was an honest review, and I hope the owners take note and correct the deficiency. ( note that to date, the owners have not posted any comments...a little disappointing, would you not agree? )
I am a relative newbie in the Lakes region, 13th year now, formerly in Moultonboro and now, Meredith. I am also a REAL NH NATIVE, I know...a rare breed...I'm thinking pretty soon they will let the few of us remaining open a Casino!
Oh, and does this post make me a 4 post wonder?
And now we are all done with the politeness of you are welcome and thank you, lol. No, Pineneedles and I are not related at all, don't even know each other, but I wish I did know him -- he seems to be a great person! TY for your response, and I was sincere when I said I hope we meet up in a restaurant sometime -- I've met some people when out to dinner, asked them if they go on the Forum and find out yes they do, and who they are, lol.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #80
MaidenCove07

Default Pepper is all Class!!!

Quote:
As always, Pepper acts with dignity and honor.
I know you and Bruce have your hands full working and managing the new place. As a Waldo Pepper's fan for at least the last 5 years (maybe more, who can keep track when operating on "Lake Winni Time"), I know how good it can be.
Ge ahead and work out the kinks Pepper. I'll be back...
Looking forward to when the pizza comes back to the menu!
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #81
SIKSUKR

Default Oh no,I have more but you asked Pepper!

Now how is that for an owners quick response to gripes about their business?Outstanding I say!But I did forget something.I have to agree with another poster here that I like the old system of walking up to the counter and ordering much better.Most of that is probably me cuz I'm not big on going to sit in restaurants for an hour.I like to order,eat and get out.That's probably why I'm a big take out guy.I beleive,as was the case for us,that having another person translating my order to another,things can get lost or forgotten.I will admit I do not like sitting down and waiting for service in a sandwich type shop.I want to stand in line where I order,find a table,and wait for number to be called.I guess I could just do take out but I'd rather sit at a table and not feel obligated to pay another 20% just for someone bringing the food to my table.FWIW
Old 07-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #82
mets3007

Default I agree

I agree with the last post, I dont like waiting a long time for my food. Thats why we eat at places like T-Bones, Jt's, and so on. We have a rule for Ames farm Inn if we get up later than 8am we will not go there because its crowded and slow, instead we will go to Paugus Diner and then Ames the next day. I will also most likely try Waldo Peppers when I go to NH in August.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #83
RLW

Default 2/3rds was great 1/3 not so good

My wife and I made one of many and the first at the new place visits for lunch today with our grand daughter. Grand daughters cheeseburger/onion rings were great, my Haddock hoagie was great as well as the fries, the wifes single lobster roll was as she said, "I will not order again and will tell the rest of the family who goes there many times as well not to purchase the lobster roll until the forum starts to give better ratings". I spoke to waitress who was very polite if she would please pass onto Bruce and Barbra that we think the lobster roll could use a tad bit of sprucing up to make it like it use to be. She accepted my concerns and said that she would pass them on. She explained that the two (2) of them work other jobs and are trying very hard to make things right and I acknowledged that by making note that I did read Peppers response to the notes here on the forum and I think she should be commended for the way she is handling it all.
This will in no way stop us from going for other meals of which there is a large choice to chose from.

Last edited by RLW; 07-16-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: correction of spelling and choise of a word
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #84
Pepper

Default Continued thanks!

I just wanted to pop in and thank all those who are continuing to offer such valuable feedback. Our entire staff is working hard to address each and every concern. Please, keep the feedback coming!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #85
jetskier

Post Just my opinion

Hi all,

Personally, I am fine with the new sit down format. I have no issues paying a tip for table service. IMHO it is always about the quality of the food and the quality of the service.

I like the fact that the new facilities are more spacious and that the location is much more convenient.

Jetskier
Old 07-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #86
Lexxi

Default Personalities

Hey Pepper, No doubt that you guys will work out the kinks and Waldo Peppers will continue to grow.
We were in last week asked if you were in, the woman gave a dirty look and said no.
So we left ........... We know you can't be everywhere, but you are missed when one walks into your restaurant.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #87
DRH

Default Do They Know Who "Pepper" Is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxi View Post
Hey Pepper, No doubt that you guys will work out the kinks and Waldo Peppers will continue to grow.
We were in last week asked if you were in, the woman gave a dirty look and said no.
So we left ........... We know you can't be everywhere, but you are missed when one walks into your restaurant.
Hi Lexxi - After reading your post I am wondering if maybe some of the staff at the new Waldo's may not know that "Pepper" is the screen name Barbara uses on the Forum. If you asked if "Pepper" was in, the waitress possibly didn't know who you meant.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #88
Happy Gourmand

Default Thank You...

.....To those of you who allowed my to voice my opinion about a popular restaurant without jumping down my throat before others who agree had a chance to "pipe in". Thank you to those who posted their comments in agreement with mine, you helped to validate my review of ONE item on WP's menu. Pepper thanks you too...you responded both publicly and via a private email to me, and, I'm sure to others who who were in agreement about the recent quality of the lobster rolls. She has offered to make up for the poor experience, but I graciously declined as i felt that doing so would denigrate my reputation as a self imposed reviewer of the local eateries. ( Actually, I think she just wanted to find out who I am! ) She did profusely promise to do everything she could to fix this issue. I have no doubt she will.
Thank you to those who initially flamed me, and then, after realizing that my opinion was shared by others mustered enough resolve and fortitude to apologize to me for their personal attacks. You have validated yourselves with me.
Finally, thanks to SA Meredith, who piped in as the first person to fend off the personal attacks...i appreciate it. I sure did need a little help at that point, and your comments encouraged others to post.
Sometimes I wonder though, if this endeavor is worth the aggravation. I negatively review ONE item at a popular eatery and get lambasted. I positively review a little pizza place in Meredith and draw one lonely comment from a local restauranteur who seemed to be in total agreement.. Gotta admit...that kinda made me chuckle...and wonder about whether or not I should continue with my self imposed position of Lakes region local eatery reviewer. Let me know what you think about that.
It's Thursday night. Mrs Phantom is already at the lake, I will be heading up there tomorrow after work. I don't yet know if we will be eating in, or going out for at least one meal this weekend.
If we do eat out, and if I do decide to post a review of our experience, I promise that my comments will be honest and based on THAT visit alone. We have been to so many of the local restaurants over the past 13 years. We have our favorites, and perhaps like you, we are creatures of habit and frequent places we like.
So I ask....do my posts provide any value to you? Please let me know what you think. I assure you, I have no agenda in doing so.

P.S. Winnocturn, you slammed me the hardest, and then went silent after others posted about their similar experience and supported my views. All I can say to you is......can you hear me now? I wish you well.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #89
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
Hi Lexxi - After reading your post I am wondering if maybe some of the staff at the new Waldo's may not know that "Pepper" is the screen name Barbara uses on the Forum. If you asked if "Pepper" was in, the waitress possibly didn't know who you meant.
If they don't know the "Pepper" in "Waldo Peppers", well, what can you expect?
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #90
Newbiesaukee

Of course your opinion is welcome. I also agree with most of what you say. In general, I do not think one visit is enough to really evaluate a restaurant ( unless you find a rat in your plate). We are not professional reviewers and this is an informal forum and, IMO, that is as it should be. Although SA Merediths comments were impassioned and correct; I believe I also commented on "not calling each other names" and expressed my dissatisfaction with the lobster roll a few comments before his. Part of the problem is that the old WP's was an outstanding kind of place. From the outside, not much, but the food really was outstanding and clearly "Pepper" and her husband put a lot of work and pride in the place. I believe that a lot of the business was built up by word of mouth which is as it should be. But excellent food and service in a seasonal location does not pay for health care, etc. I truly believe that Pepper will do her best to improve the lobster roll. The other food is still great. As for table service, etc. it really is no biggie for me. I wish things were the way they used to be, but I also wish I were 6 ft. tall....neither of which will happen.

It is unfortunate that you were the victim of peppermania but I think we have all learned something and Pepper's response was as expected.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #91
phoenix

Phantom you should keep posting your views and then readers can make their own decisions as to where they want to eat. Don't worry about the bashing on occasion where people may disagree or at sometimes have their own axe to grind
Old 07-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #92
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

This is not a "negative attack" as Mr Phantom calls them,but just a question. The Phantom is a very recent member of this forum and as already pronounced himself as the the official reviewer of restaurants in the lakes region.Taking your name from "The Phantom Gourmet",a very respected regional show,who's reviewers are former restauranteurs,chefs and food service excecutives,seems a little presumptuous.
You say that so wonder if this endeavor is worth the aggrivation and wonder if you should continue as self imposed local eatery reviewer and I would reply that your opinion is welcome as are all others......but the Phantom you are not.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #93
twoplustwo

Default ditto samiam

If you want to review restaurants, have at it. Your self-imposed (or self-appointed) status as a local restaurant critic is equal to every other forum member whether you call yourself Paula Dean or Ralph Schmidlap.

If Ralph Schmidlap joins the forum, I expect him to type in vernacular.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #94
Happy Gourmand

Oh no....I never intended to imply that I am the "official" appointed reviewer of eateries in this area, sorry if I mislead you. I don't think I sued the word "official" in my post. In fact, I have been a member of this forum since April 2004 under another name. I chose to post and chose to remain anonymous for reasons that became evident shortly after my infamous review of a very popular local eatery. I knew I would be crucified, but was so disappointed with my experience that I felt that others had to know that there was something awry with at least one aspect of the newly relocated establishment. I felt that the change too drastic to be an isolated issue. I was right. I am a long time customer of WP's and don't intend to change.
I use Phantom because I wish to remain anonymous. I suppose Gourmand could easily be construed as a play on the word Gourmet, it's first meaning is GREEDY, but I prefer the second...a person who likes to eat.
I am not a gourmet or a restaurant executive ( I like some wines that come in a box! ) but I guess I could be classified as a former restauranteur as a former owner and operator of an eatery very similar to many surrounding the lake. Does that give me any credibility? Probably not, but that's ok too.
Samiam, thanks for your thoughtful responses and your comments. I appreciate them and apologize if I even seemed to mislead anybody into thinking that I am something I am not. If gourmands were on the left, and gourmets on the right...then I guess I could be classified as a leftist extremist .
So, now I'll retreat to wherever Phantoms retreat to. The thing about Phantoms though, you never know where we'll show up next.
Bon Appetit ! ( Thank You, Julia! )
Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #95
twoplustwo

Default backwards logic

I chose to post and chose to remain anonymous for reasons that became evident shortly after my infamous review of a very popular local eatery. I knew I would be crucified

Not for nothing, but I would've taken you far more seriously had you posted under your known moniker. We've had quite the influx of one trick pony losers who sign up, bash a place, then take off. New Gourmand guy with 2 or 3 posts comes in and bashes Pepper's lobster roll? I immediately figured you were another one of them.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #96
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
I chose to post and chose to remain anonymous for reasons that became evident shortly after my infamous review of a very popular local eatery. I knew I would be crucified

Not for nothing, but I would've taken you far more seriously had you posted under your known moniker. We've had quite the influx of one trick pony losers who sign up, bash a place, then take off. New Gourmand guy with 2 or 3 posts comes in and bashes Pepper's lobster roll? I immediately figured you were another one of them.
I agree with you. That's just what has been happening on this board, so I don't blame any board member for having reservations about TPG's new post about Pepper's lobster rolls.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #97
Pineedles

Default A question for the Phantom

Quote:
Oh no....I never intended to imply that I am the "official" appointed reviewer of eateries in this area, sorry if I mislead you. I don't think I sued the word "official" in my post. In fact, I have been a member of this forum since April 2004 under another name. I chose to post and chose to remain anonymous for reasons that became evident shortly after my infamous review of a very popular local eatery. I knew I would be crucified, but was so disappointed with my experience that I felt that others had to know that there was something awry with at least one aspect of the newly relocated establishment. I felt that the change too drastic to be an isolated issue. I was right. I am a long time customer of WP's and don't intend to change.
I use Phantom because I wish to remain anonymous. I suppose Gourmand could easily be construed as a play on the word Gourmet, it's first meaning is GREEDY, but I prefer the second...a person who likes to eat.
I am not a gourmet or a restaurant executive ( I like some wines that come in a box! ) but I guess I could be classified as a former restauranteur as a former owner and operator of an eatery very similar to many surrounding the lake. Does that give me any credibility? Probably not, but that's ok too.
Samiam, thanks for your thoughtful responses and your comments. I appreciate them and apologize if I even seemed to mislead anybody into thinking that I am something I am not. If gourmands were on the left, and gourmets on the right...then I guess I could be classified as a leftist extremist .
So, now I'll retreat to wherever Phantoms retreat to. The thing about Phantoms though, you never know where we'll show up next.
Bon Appetit ! ( Thank You, Julia! )
In your first post on this thread, you did set us up in terms of making us believe it was your first visit to WD. Below an exceprt from that post.

"
We stopped at WP last week on our way home, mostly because of the high recommendations and posts on this website."

Now you say, "I am a long time customer of WP's". If I and others give you more credibility I need to understand something.
I know this could be beating a dead horse, (Now where's that avatar when I need it.) but I would like to understand how you will present yourself as you "review" other places. Which way will you write? True first experience and writes it that way, frequent visitor but writes it as a newcomer, etc., etc.?
Old 07-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #98
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
In your first post on this thread, you did set us up in terms of making us believe it was your first visit to WD. Below an exceprt from that post.

"
We stopped at WP last week on our way home, mostly because of the high recommendations and posts on this website."

Now you say, "I am a long time customer of WP's". If I and others give you more credibility I need to understand something.
I know this could be beating a dead horse, (Now where's that avatar when I need it.) but I would like to understand how you will present yourself as you "review" other places. Which way will you write? True first experience and writes it that way, frequent visitor but writes it as a newcomer, etc., etc.?
Lol, good catch Methinks we are being played here.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #99
Happy Gourmand

Default Are we there yet?

Pineneedles, I never meant to mislead or misrepresent anything. I'm sorry if I did. In some of my other postings I think I mentioned that I've been around these parts for about 13 years...originally with a place in Moultonboro and now in Meredith. I think I also mentioned that any "review" I offered would be based solely on my most current visit.
My original intent was to post my review and let is stand on its own merits....if you agree, fine....if not, that's fine too. My intention was to NOT respond or reply to any of the posts....good or bad. Waterbaby and you apologized for some comments you had made, and just felt compelled to respond and accept your apologies. So, that being said...if the horse isn't dead, it's partly your fault!! ( Just kidding!! )
Anyways, IF I do decide to post about my experience at a local restaurant, it will be based on that visit only. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the way it should be?
And as far as any agendas go......my only agenda at this point is to get out of here alive!!
Finally, let me borrow some words from Rodney King..... " Can't we all just get along?"
Have a fabulous and safe weekend.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #100
Lexxi

Default Not Know

If anyone in the Lakes Regions does not know who Pepper is then HOUSTON we have a problem.

I suggest that no matter where you eat that all eateries deserve a second chance. Most of all Waldo Peppers they are after all going through a few growing pains. They already have a reputation that speaks for itself, so no need to worry Waldo Peppers will be around for a long time !!

Thank You, Waldo Peppers for all that you do to make eveyone feel like family, I know that will continue !!!