Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Barbara

Default Mise En Place, Wolfeboro

If you haven't been to Mise En Place in the last six months, it's time to get there. Menus are very different under the ownership of Terri. She was one of the twooriginal partners in the restaurant, but now is the sole owner and chef. I've loved the restaurant since it first opened, i think about eight years ago, but love it even more now.

Like all restaurants in the region, winter is a challenge. In summer they have all the busines they can handle, but winter is tough when all you have is the local population to count on and so many of those people leave for warmer places for extended periods.

Terri has come up with a wonderful way to keep business hopping and also to reward her local customers. Since December, she has been having "Two for Tuesdays", buy one entree, get one free, at both lunch and dinner. What a deal. I go frequently, just make sure to make a reservation as it's quite popular. Starting Sunday, January 30, there will be a Sunday brunch from 9 to 1 PM. I saw the menu the other day and can't wait to go. There are items that's I've never seen before that sound so YUMMY!! this is also bringing about a change in restaurant hours. They will be closed on Mon and Tues. and Two for Tuesdays will become "Two for Wednesdays" for the reat of the winter.

If anyone is wondering if I have some personal interest in this restaurant, the answer is yes, because I LOVE it and can't imagine it not being here. I consider it to be the Culinary Jewel of the entire lake!! Do i have a business interest in Mise En Place....NO.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Barbara For This Useful Post:
beagle (01-27-2011), finch (01-27-2011), Heaven (01-27-2011), ishoot308 (01-30-2011), JDeere (01-28-2011), KPW (01-27-2011), o2beinnh (03-18-2011), secondcurve (01-27-2011), Smitty1 (02-25-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
BrownstoneNorth

Default It's a credit to Wolfeboro to have such a Place :-)

Tops with us for special nights out both before and after the owners split up.

I think the former co-owner is now the chef at The Restaurant, a favorite of ours for the more frequent casual nights out.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Barbara

I agree 100% about The Restaurant!! We love it too for the more casual nights. With Mise En Place's two for Wednesdays, you don't need to wait for a special occasion to enjoy it....just go on a Wednesday!!
Old 02-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Barbara

Had Brunch at Mise En Place this AM.....FABULOUS! A very unique menu, reasonably priced. really hard to make a choise, there were so many great ones. Four of us each had something different, all were deliciuos. Service was great.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
Barbara

I can't believe no one replies to this thread!! You don't know what you're missing if you haven't been to this restaurant. Had dinner there last Wed. with friends and enjoyed the twofers, buy one entree, get one free. I'm going to miss this deal when winter is over. Dinner there will again become a special event celebration place. This week they are not having their regular menu, but starting tonight are having Tapas and Tinis through Sat., no freebies this week. I have my reservations with friends for Fri., can't wait, love tapas. I'm dying to try the tapas restaurant in Laconia.

One of the two original owners and chefs is now a partner and chef at The Restaurant in Wolfeboro. Had dinner there on Friday, wonderful as always, as is the service. Amazing they can get such wonderful waitstaff when the Wolfeboro Inn which is across the street from it have such abysmal service.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I can't believe no one replies to this thread!! You don't know what you're missing if you haven't been to this restaurant.
Our clients were looking for a nice dinner in Wolfeboro last night (Tuesday), so we sent them to Mise en Place and told them about "Two-fer Tuesdays". We found out later that they were closed.

Last edited by beaner; 02-23-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: omission
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Barbara

What a shame!! In my first post in this thread I said they changed their days closed when they started serving Sunday Brunch. Two for Tuesdays moved to Wednesdays.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Sue Doe-Nym

We hadn't been to Mise en Place for quite a while so we decided to try the special lunch today. Called several times during the morning to make a reservation but got a recording giving their hours which said they were open for lunch on Wednesdays. Drove over there only to find a sign on the door saying that they were closed for several days!!

Not a very impressive way to run a business. We will remove this place from our list of eating places and no longer recommend it to friends.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Heaven

There isn't much excuse for that kind of thing to happen, but it is a really great place to eat (or was, I haven't been in awhile)
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
Natt

Last time we went, before the new owners, is cost us a fortune for dinner for two, way over $100 with no real extravagances. Have the prices improved? The food was wonderful. We will give it a try on one of the toofer days if it is open.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natt View Post
Last time we went, before the new owners, is cost us a fortune for dinner for two, way over $100 with no real extravagances. Have the prices improved? The food was wonderful. We will give it a try on one of the toofer days if it is open.
Mise en Place is definitely a splurge, but we've always considered it to be the finest dining experience in Wolfeboro. The food is wonderful. There are plenty of less expensive options in town.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #12
Mr. V

I've spent a bundle at good French restaurants in Portland and Las Vegas and not batted an eye, because it was worth it.

Quality always comes at a premium.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
Barbara

The crazy thing is that Garwood's prices are close to those of Mise En Place, more in some cases, for just average pub type food. Mise En Place is truly fine dining, one of the few such places around the lake.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I've spent a bundle at good French restaurants in Portland and Las Vegas and not batted an eye, because it was worth it.
Funny,I was in Portland Maine yesterday and didn't see one French restaurant.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:35 AM   #15
secondcurve

Quote:
The crazy thing is that Garwood's prices are close to those of Mise En Place, more in some cases, for just average pub type food. Mise En Place is truly fine dining, one of the few such places around the lake.
Barbara:

At Garwoods you are paying for the lake view, not the food.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #16
Pineedles

Default Where to DINE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Funny,I was in Portland Maine yesterday and didn't see one French restaurant.
Yeah, you are right Bill, no frenchy diners in Portland, but. On the NCL Gem out of NYC last week there was a place called Le Bistro. It was fantastic! If anyone wants cruise information about NCL out of Boston or NYC let me know! I can tell you about the wonderful experience we had on out 3rd cruise out of NYC to the Bahamas. We sailed in the port bow suite, fantastic!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
We hadn't been to Mise en Place for quite a while so we decided to try the special lunch today. Called several times during the morning to make a reservation but got a recording giving their hours which said they were open for lunch on Wednesdays. Drove over there only to find a sign on the door saying that they were closed for several days!!

Not a very impressive way to run a business. We will remove this place from our list of eating places and no longer recommend it to friends.

So sorry that happened to you. They had a big ad in the Granite State News, our local weekly newspaper, the week before announcing the change in hours for that week. They were closed for lunch that week and were open nightly from Wed. through Sat. for "Tapas and Tinis". We went on Fri night and it was wonderful. We all had martinis and ate tapas, including dessert until we were stuffed. There were two couples and including the tip, it was $40 a person, a huge bargain. Hope they do it again sometime.

They are back to their normal schedule. Open for lunch from Wed.- Fri. and dinner Wed- Sat. Two entrees for the price of one is on Wed, both for lunch and dinner. It's a great way to experience fabulous food at a bargain price. Even at full price, it is head and shoulders above anything else anywhere around the lake. It can truly hold its own against the great restaurants in the cities, like Boston, NY and Washington, DC. We're lucky to have something so great in this little town.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Barbara:

At Garwoods you are paying for the lake view, not the food.

A large part of Garwood's restaurant has no lake view. In fact it's quite gloomy in the front part of the restaurant which is where the lagest number of tables is located.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #19
secondcurve

Quote:
A large part of Garwood's restaurant has no lake view. In fact it's quite gloomy in the front part of the restaurant which is where the lagest number of tables is located.
Barbara:

The owners are paying for the view so you are paying for it regardless of whether or not you are smart enough to ask for a table with a view.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 AM   #20
Heaven

I also enjoy sitting up front in a street-view table, but the Downtown Grille is much more comfortable and cheery
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
Grady223

Default Back to the Subject at Hand

Mise en Place

One of our favorites in town. Consistently good food, respectable prices and good service, although that was better when Gary was there.

Other favorites:
- Restaurant - Gary IS there! Food is great.
- Garwoods - nice views decent meal, pricey but we keep going back anyway so it must be worth it.
- Downtown Grille - Great sandwiches and best breakfast in town, the back room (with the view) can be hot in the summer - sun shines in after noon.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #22
Sue Doe-Nym

Is Mise En Place so good that they can afford to not return phone calls or have a message saying that they are closed?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #23
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Is Mise En Place so good that they can afford to not return phone calls or have a message saying that they are closed?
Why don't you call them and ask them?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #24
Sue Doe-Nym

Five calls are enough, thank you.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #25
beaner

Thumbs up Yum!

We went to Mise en Place this weekend for a belated Valentines' Day dinner. We hadn't dined there since Siobahn left the partnership. There were many menu items that were new to us, and they all sounded really good. We finally decided on pan-seared sea bass and lobster/crab risotto. I would never attempt to cook sea bass at home, because it has to be a dish where you can go from "not-quite" to "oops!" in a heartbeat. The chef totally nailed it. The ginger/mushroom sauce was mouth watering, without overpowering the delicate fish. The lobster/crab risotto was simply delicious, and really satisfying on a cold, damp night. I wish we could take advantage of 2-fer Wednesdays to try some of the other menu choices, but unfortunately, we have a regular Wednesday night commitment. I agree with Barbara. For a special occasion, there's still nothing in town that comes close.