Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Rattler

Default Freezing Pipes

I have a place on Rattlesnake and am planning on opening it up this coming weekend -- including turning the water back on.

While early ice-out this year is welcomed by us islanders, it means that we're susceptible to the colder overnight temperatures common for early April. I noticed that the overnight lows in Alton Bay are expected to be in the mid-to-high 20's this weekend.

My water pipes are totally unprotected. Do I need to worry about freezing pipes at these temperatures?
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
jrc

With no protection at all and no stray heat (I assume that the place will be un occupied and unheated during the week) your pipes will freeze up in a few hours below 30. They might not freeze solid enough to burst a pipe, but that's a gamble. In my young and stupid days, I filled a car with plain water in April, thinking the danger had past, but one morning the radiator was full of slush. Didn't crack the block, but it never ran right after that.

You might try a space heater or a few light bulbs to buy a little insurance. Or you can bite the bullet and get heat tape, with a thermostat.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
RLW

Default Possible freezing pipes

Your safest and best bet is to drain your pipes at least for another 2 weeks and then you will not have to worry and when you go back everything will be a ok for you and the family to be able to enjoy yourselves without spending time repairing pipes.
RLW
Old 04-05-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Default ....island livn'

Even if they freeze and crack, it's usually just one small crack somewhere. Could be a good experience learning on how to repair a cracked copper pipe down in a confined crawl space with a small propane torch. By necessity, many islanders become a jack-of-all-trades, so I hear. On the other hand, doesn't Island Realty have about five Rattlesnake homes listed for sale.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Woodsy

Too early for unprotected pipes...

Drain them when your done for the weekend. At least you will have no worries.

Woodsy
Old 04-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Steveo

OK, I will give you some positive info here...

Once the ice goes the water is at an (actual) 42-43 degrees at least. That means it acts like a heat sink for the surrounding area. The same effect happens in the late fall when people worry about the pipes freezing. The lake keeps the surrounding area close to what its actual temperature is. If this is just an occasional few hours a night (or more) below freezing the water in the pipes won't make it to the damaging freezing temperature you worry about.

I am opening this weekend no matter what. My pipes are in the crawl space totally exposed to the north winds coming down Alton Bay. It will NOT freeze! Besides it’s Masters weekend. I love opening during Masters weekend; haven't done it for several years. In other words - I DON'T CARE - you shouldn't either.

If you have any problems I would be happy to come out and fix any leaks you get. It will be a good to get out on the lake with an legitimate excuse for my wife so she doesn't get p'ed.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:57 AM   #7
ApS

Smile DIY, by the Tool-Men-of-the-Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo
"...OK, I will give you some positive info here..."
Me too: And once again I agree fully with the Winnipesaukee-burnished FLL.

I've opened in late March: Some mornings, no water would arrive at the kitchen spout, but never did have a pipe burst. (If no water appears but the pump is running, you'll have to shut off the pump—right away).

The only burst I've ever experienced was due to a deficient closing-up by a local drunk who formerly did closing-ups for us. (The drunk part I found out later—DWI/Corvette). He also used "used" automobile anti-freeze!

Now I do the closing-ups.

I fixed that one hole temporarily by threading a yarn (taken from a mop) into the hole, and squeezing the split shut with Vise-Grips. The leak stopped completely in an hour, and waited two years to be fixed when I added another appliance that required soldering!

It may help somewhat if the water is delivered uphill by a large (1"ř) black plastic water pipe which can allow some "warm water" thermo-siphoning.

To hedge all bets, a small plastic tarp is tented over the pump. That, plus a 40-watt light bulb—keeps it all safe until all freezing hazards have passed. (Unplug the pump during any absences).

Soldering is not a difficult skill to learn, and most tiny leaks that can result (from a first try) will seal themselves.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Risk of Frozen Pipes

Better get a bucket…

Steveo, I think we'll just use buckets of water for the next couple weeks. It isn't worth the risk. It sounds rather costly, even with your offer to fix things up.
(The guys say it takes too long to empty the hot water heater etc. Then the priming of the pump etc.)
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
Merrymeeting

I have always opened our place on Patriot's Day weekend. There have been a few years when I worried a bit on a few nights, but never enough to cause a problem.

One site you may want to reference is

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/box/dailystns.shtml

You can look at the actual high and low temps for your area for several years and judge accordingly.

Given the current 10 day forecast, I'd say you'll be ok. Worst case, leave an outside spigot dribbling a little bit and the small amount of "warm" water entering the system should keep things ok.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote