Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-23-2005, 08:45 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Cool do-it-yourself tree limb trimming

And it actually worked.....like wow....how about that.....totally amazing....but first make sure your health insurance coverage is current and also have the non-emergency number for your local pd.

Here's a new angle on do-it-yourself tree limb trimming that I used with success. If you are, like myself, too cheap to call a professional tree service, and too chicken to climb 24' up a ladder and into a tree then here's the plan.

Items needed: a $35.00 1 1/2 hp Remington electric chain saw, two 12' 2x4's attached butt to butt to make one 24'er, two 10" mending plates, screws, duct tape, 100' x-cord, and a dulled mind is also helpfull. Assemble accordingly and now go trim those 6" or even 8" diameter oak boughs that have been there for like 100 years and enlarge your view. This system works but is a little hard to manuever. I know it sounds very flakey, but it was surprisingly sucessfull. The $35.00 electric Remington chainsaw is very light and very good. Oh yes, and don't forget the chainsaw oil and the cheap stuff works fine.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
ITD

Finally, remember to have a friend, one who really likes you, standing at a safe distance, holding a phone, with 9 - 1 entered in and his/her index finger over 1 .
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
RLW

Exclamation De-limbing a tree

No other comment really can be made except for CHUCKLE, CHUCKLE and thanks a bunch for it, as the smile is still rolling off my lips.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
Drummer Girl

Default You Know....

You are killing me ITD, I am sitting here trying to do my homework! I take a break, do a quick forum check, and now I can't stop laughing about your reply. Thank you for the chuckle!! Now it's back to work for me!
Drummer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
ApS

Poor FLL.

But I've been using the same technique for several years — including just last month!

Today, you (some of you, anyway) can see one fresh-cut limb still hanging above the sun deck. At the end of a long day of trimming, it (about 2" in diameter) was just too big for the two of us to pull down the rest of the way. Winter will take care of it.

Here, FLL is talking an electric chain saw, which have impressed some professional tree-trimmers. They're powerful, but they aren't particularly long-lived.

I recommend an assistant: One operator can control the pole/saw combination, while the other controls the electricity supply.

You can buy an in-line electric switch to control the power, and your assistant can jockey the pole.

Control can be assisted by using a thick rope attached to the rear handle of the saw. The saw itself is mounted at the top of the pole, angled forward about 45°. The base of the pole rests on the ground at about a 30° angle, height-coordinated with the cutting surface of the saw blade on the limb. We are using a pair of 2X2's, but were not trying to reach quite as far as FLL, with his 2X4s.

My technique has been to tie the chainsaw's trigger in the "on" position using a cable-tie. (Saw unplugged, of course). The saw is then secured to the 2X4 with more cable-ties and bungie cords. Load up the reservoir and the chain itself with oil.

If things don't go "right", both operators understand they are to step back -- away from everything -- and not try to "save" the saw. That has happened only once, and I just had to manually bend the saw's blade-guide back to straight again.

I tell you what -- you don't want to use a ladder for trimming at 24 feet.

Whatzamatta anyway, only FLL and I attempt this stuff?

CHIN-UP, FLL!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
RLW

Talking No, it can't be!!

I cannot honestly believe there are two of you in this world. One I could picture now a second one actually admitted that he too is a private inventor of crazy ways of trimming branches and sometimes I'm sure an arm or two.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #7
Orion

Default There is an easier, safer way.

Just buy a ROPE SAW. It consists of a section of chain saw chain, rope, a beanbag, and a metal strip to direct the blade to be cutting side down. Just toss the beanbag over the branch you want to cut, and a few back and forth motions and the branch is down.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:55 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Cool

My my my.....some one else w/ the same plan. As that old saw goes 'necessity is the mother of invention' , or somethin... Anyway, this plan was hatched after my 'neighbor' went and had about 15 large arbor vitae bushes planted which has dramatically blocked my view across his property. Not wanting to have a tunnel vision of the lake I've been trimming bushes and oak limbs to open up the view. Me-thinks he's a speculator, having bought the fancy house for well over a million bucks, who had hoped to make a couple hundred thou or so after making some cosmetic improvements and holding it for a year or so what with the hot wf market. Now that the top end of the wf market has cooled a bit, what a disappointment(!).

Borrowing another neighbor's old rusty extension ladder got me up about three rungs when it started to sway and that was enough for me....back to the safety of the ground and time to rethink this plan.

With the trigger duct taped, I just run like hell to go pull the plug of the extension cord after the blade cuts through which can take maybe five minutes on a large limb. This light weight & inexpensive electric saw has been surprisingly durable.

Safety first and last, everyone....
Old 10-24-2005, 10:09 AM   #9
Orion

Talking Lol

FLL, you should have videotaped it for America's Funniest Videos. You could also duct tape some extension ladders together for more height! Kids...don't try this at home!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:40 AM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Exclamation Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
With the trigger duct taped, I just run like hell to go pull the plug of the extension cord after the blade cuts through which can take maybe five minutes on a large limb. This light weight & inexpensive electric saw has been surprisingly durable.

Safety first and last, everyone....

Now you're talking safety first?
Glad things worked out all right for you FLL. Thanks for the good laugh!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:40 PM   #11
KBoater

Default recycle the poles

Now that you have a 24' pole you can use it to catch bats (attach an old fishing net), bring down stray cats (attach a handicap grabber), or measure temperatures at 24' water depth (attach a thermometer).
Old 10-25-2005, 07:20 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Smile

All very good suggestions....why don't I go use it to reach out and touch the 13000 volt power lines up at the top, and out on the street, before they get transformed down to 240v. When not used for trimming tree limbs, it has a winter use of supporting a big tarp that covers my motorboat.

The hardware store in Centre Harbor actually has an extendable tree trimmier equiped with an electric chain saw whoosie on the top. Next time there, I'll take a closer look, and did not notice the price but I bet it is expensive.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:58 AM   #13
ITD

Ah Less,

We are all awed by your penchant to save money and beat the man no matter the potential consequences. So in an effort to help you (and your neighbors) and out of concern that you may be looking for other ways to save money, I offer you this little tidbit. Do not, I repeat, do not, use that new 1/8 hp sump pump / ice eater to pump your septic tank, please leave that to the pros.

Thank you.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:41 PM   #14
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
My my my.....some one else w/ the same plan. As that old saw goes 'necessity is the mother of invention' , or somethin...
That old saw...FLL?

To reach 24 feet up — and for around $200 — one could buy a pair of these, and duct-tape them together.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote