Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-19-2004, 08:21 AM   #1
Pam

Default Architect recommendations?

My husband and I own an old cottage on Meredith Bay which is going to need some serious work soon. Since it's poorly constructed to begin with, we're thinking that we'd like to rebuild from scratch, but we don't want a huge, fancy house. The lot presents some challenges, so we're thinking that we'd like to talk with an architect to discuss possibilities for the property, as well as costs, of course.

Any suggestions for architects in the area who'd be interested in a small, residential project?

Thanks.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:49 PM   #2
wadden

Default Architect

Pam:

Try David Driscoll Designs in Holderness. He is very good, and has done small homes and renovation designs in addition to larger projects. If you do meet with him and are considering hiring him, my only caveat is to make sure that you get him to commit to your schedule. He tends to get busy.
wadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 04:11 PM   #3
arthurc

Try Bill Christopher 617-825-5238. He has done work in the Lakes Region. He's very good and is reasonable
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:10 AM   #4
donnamatrix

Default Found an architect?

Hi. I just noticed your post, and although you've probably found an architect in the region by now, I recommend you call Christopher Williams in Meredith. He's done alot of building/renovations to residential property, but also did the rehab of the Belmont Mill.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
jeffk

Default Watch out for estimated costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
My husband and I own an old cottage on Meredith Bay which is going to need some serious work soon. Since it's poorly constructed to begin with, we're thinking that we'd like to rebuild from scratch, but we don't want a huge, fancy house. The lot presents some challenges, so we're thinking that we'd like to talk with an architect to discuss possibilities for the property, as well as costs, of course.

Any suggestions for architects in the area who'd be interested in a small, residential project?

Thanks.
One thing to watch out for. Architects may not get costs too close to reality. No knock to them but the builders will eventually give the real cost. We had some friends use an architect and told him what their budget was. When it finally got to a builder the quote was $100,000 over their plan. They had to rework the design to make it affordable. There is always some disappointment when you have to drop rooms and space after seeing a more expansive design. I don't know that this will be true for all architects but it is true that it will be the builder that sets the price. I think architects may tend to be a bit optimistic.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2004, 07:15 AM   #6
JDeere

Default Dann Batting

Dann will do as good or better job than Chris Williams and for a whole lot less!

(603) 887-0086
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 05:10 AM   #7
abc123

I would strongly recommend Bill Soupcoff who owns TMS Architects in Portsmouth. They are awesome. Their designs are great and their plans are very detailed; a builders dream. Having built a few of their designs, I can honestly say that the detail really helps make the construction move smoothly and cost estimating is really simplified. I'm not sure about their costs and know they are by no means the cheapest, but having a good set of plans can save lots during the construction process.
abc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
liketherush

I am going to second the TMS Architects recommendation. Their homes are all very design driven and it shows. They've built a lot of beautiful houses, and have done, or are doing, a lot of work in Wolfeboro. Here's a sampling of the work they've done in the area.

Lake Winnipesaukee Escape

Water's Edge Manor

Now clearly they have designed many "fancy" houses, but probably get the most recognition for this small and simple one.

Bishops Retreat

I've said my piece, and I think this world sure needs to have more houses designed by the team at TMS.
liketherush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:04 PM   #9
Fishy Cover

Default Builders & Designers

All Quality Construction Inc. will do both design and construction. We have done complete re-hab of an older cottage, and we are on Meredith Neck. Please call Kevin, 279-8942.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote