Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Thumbs up Woodlands Tavern

We went to the Woodlands Tavern last night for supper. I had the soup of the day for an appetizer, and then my wife had pork medallions and roasted fingerling potatoes. She said it was very good. She had the Crème Brule for dessert, and finished before I did....must have been good. I had the Creole Jambalaya, which was very spicy, but that is fine with me. They did ask if I wanted the seasoning adjusted down to medium or mild, but I do like my Jambalaya spicy. It was very good. I had a cinnamon apple cobbler for dessert, with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream on the side, and was very good.

The meal was a little pricey, but good, and we both felt that we had good value for the meal. It is just not a place I would go every night for dinner. Bill, with one drink each, was $69 before tip.

Service was good, not great, but they have only been open about one week. I expect that service will improve and that the staff will improve. It was good, but at times slow, and our waitress was, for the most part, also the hostess.

As I said, we will be back and look forward to trying other options. We will also try them for lunch after golf one of these days.
Eric Weiss (09-02-2013), jetskier (06-26-2013), Just Sold (06-26-2013), Legionnaire70 (06-26-2013), Slickcraft (06-26-2013), Winnilifer (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
salty dog

Default Good to hear a positive 1st review

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
We went to the Woodlands Tavern last night for supper. I had the soup of the day for an appetizer, and then my wife had pork medallions and roasted fingerling potatoes. She said it was very good. She had the Crème Brule for dessert, and finished before I did....must have been good. I had the Creole Jambalaya, which was very spicy, but that is fine with me. They did ask if I wanted the seasoning adjusted down to medium or mild, but I do like my Jambalaya spicy. It was very good. I had a cinnamon apple cobbler for dessert, with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream on the side, and was very good.

The meal was a little pricey, but good, and we both felt that we had good value for the meal. It is just not a place I would go every night for dinner. Bill, with one drink each, was $69 before tip.

Service was good, not great, but they have only been open about one week. I expect that service will improve and that the staff will improve. It was good, but at times slow, and our waitress was, for the most part, also the hostess.

As I said, we will be back and look forward to trying other options. We will also try them for lunch after golf one of these days.
Glad to hear you folks enjoyed it. My wife and I have been following the progress of the renovations and are looking forward to visiting at least a couple of time during the two weeks we'll be up on vacation. We stay at a little cabin just down the hill on Railroad Ave so we can just walk to dinner. The William Tell was certainly an old landmark. My Wife's family is Swiss so she always enjoyed it but sometimes the food could be a bit heavy.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Winnisquamguy

FYI for wheelchair users the ramp is still not completed yet.Its on the list of things to get done but they don't have a time frame yet.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Briangie

Ate the last night with a group of friends. The place was packed!

Food was delicious, although it took some time getting to the table. They still have a few kinks to work out with service, but since they just opened, I am confident that will improve.

I had the old standby, chicken parm. Delicious, piping hot and filling. My wife had the stuffed calamari dish and loved it. All three couples raved about the quality of the food.

It is a bit pricey, maybe will be a once a month type place or a place to bring friends if they venture North to visit. I don't mind paying if you know the food will be great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Briangie For This Useful Post:
Eric Weiss (09-02-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
jetskier

Thumbs up Terrific!

We stopped by Woodlands Tavern this evening for dinner. They had a bit of a wait, so we decided to eat at the bar. The food was absolutely great. I had the duck and my wife had the jambalya.

They are clearly still working out some of the start-up issues as they appeared a bit understaffed. Not surprising.

My suggestion is to make a reservation, we will in the future as the restaurant is relatively small.

We will certainly be back...very impressed!!!!

Jetskier
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
Eric Weiss (09-02-2013), lunch lady (08-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts
Default Address

Sounds like a nice place. I didn't know where they were so I found their page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Woodl...48756195268496

1602 Mt. Major Highway
Alton, New Hampshire 03810
Old 07-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Thumbs up

We made the long drive (1.5 miles) today and stopped by for lunch. We each had the panini of the day which was very good. I am happy to report that there are 8 draft beer taps and that (thankfully) not one is wasted on a bud or coors product. The lunch including two pints of Guinness and two pints of Peak ale came to $41 before tip.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Fantastic Lunch!

We went to Woodland's Tavern today for lunch and it was fantastic! I had their french onion soup and a tuna salad croissant sandwich. Both were excellent. My wife had a house salad and some kind of pasta dish that was also excellent. My visiting nephew was also with us and he had the spaghetti Napoli. This was true Italian spaghetti basted in olive oil with chunks of fresh mozarella, fresh cut cherry tomatoes and a wonderful red marinara gravy made from scratch. It was just awesome!

They were not busy when we were there but the waitress was extremely nice and service was quick. The owner came by our table to check on us and we had nice conversation.

All in all a great experience and I highly recommend the Woodland's Tavern!

Dan
Eric Weiss (09-02-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
surfnsnow

you do now that guinness is brewed by annheiser busch in the u.s. both owned by a Belgium company called inbev
Old 07-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnsnow View Post
you do now that guinness is brewed by annheiser busch in the u.s. both owned by a Belgium company called inbev
Actually I never heard that, curious as to your source. This from the Guinness web site:

Quote:
GUINNESS® is GUINNESS® - wherever you are. We always use pure, fresh water from natural local sources for the GUINNESS® stout brewed outside Ireland. That said, in blind tests (with a bunch of highly cynical journalists) none of our sample could tell the difference between Irish-brewed GUINNESS® and the locally produced variety. All the GUINNESS® sold in the UK, Ireland and North America is brewed in Ireland at the historic St. James's Gate Brewery in Dublin.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Newbiesaukee

If you Google, the definitive answer is that some variety of Guinness is brewed in Canada. The Guinness website, by their own admission is not quite accurate.

Guinness is not owned by InBev.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 07-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
surfnsnow

I have to admit my evidence now seems sketchy, at one point there was an agreement between a.b. and Guinness whereby a.b. brewed guinness in north america and guiness brewed bud for Europe. now, I can't find any evidence. same deal with Canada regarding labatts blue brewing bud for Canada. perhaps I have sampled too much of each?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surfnsnow For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (07-13-2013), Slickcraft (07-12-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
We went to Woodland's Tavern today for lunch and it was fantastic! I had their french onion soup and a tuna salad croissant sandwich. Both were excellent. My wife had a house salad and some kind of pasta dish that was also excellent. My visiting nephew was also with us and he had the spaghetti Napoli. This was true Italian spaghetti basted in olive oil with chunks of fresh mozarella, fresh cut cherry tomatoes and a wonderful red marinara gravy made from scratch. It was just awesome!

They were not busy when we were there but the waitress was extremely nice and service was quick. The owner came by our table to check on us and we had nice conversation.

All in all a great experience and I highly recommend the Woodland's Tavern!

Dan
Our experience was just as good. No sense repeating a well stated review!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Overlake97

Thumbs up Reprinted from my Yelp.com post for Woodlands Tavern

My wife and I had a great dinner here on Sunday night (July 14, 2013)!

I'd been looking at the enticing pictures of their menu offerings on Facebook (see link in Post #6. Once on their page, click on "photos" link near top or on any random photo to bring up the album), so I had a pretty good idea of what I was craving even before seeing the menu. Ended up with the Creole Jambalaya, which the waitress warned me was very spicy, but I really didn't think so. It WAS excellent though, with nice, large pieces of shrimp, scallops, chicken and chorizo, plus assorted veggies and rice (ended up taking 1/3rd home) - and just enough heat. My wife ordered probably their simplest entree, the Spaghetti Napoli, and she really liked that too. We also had two appetizers: Grilled Lamb Chops and Portobello Mushroom, stuffed with goat cheese, spinach, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. My wife thought the mushroom was the best appetizer she'd had in a long time; and my lamb chops were great. Because they were followed closely by the seafood heavy Jambalaya, I felt like I'd had Surf n Turf!

Although I'm usually too stuffed for dessert, at Woodlands - motivated again by those great Facebook photos - I just had to try a dessert, and opted for the Eton Mess (fruit laced with thick cream). I also let the bar manager, who dropped by to introduce herself (it was a quiet Sunday night), talk me into a speciality coffee, with Kahlua, Amaretto and Bailey's irish Creme. Both after-dinner treats were worth it, and were a nice finishing touch to a great meal.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
surfnsnow

thanks for the menu tip overlake
Old 07-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
FranklyH500

We ate here last night and had one of the best meals ever in the lakes region.
My wife and I have both been coming here since we were children and we've eaten in a bunch of restaurants. Woodlands grill was a standout. I had chicken Parmesan and it was perfect. Tender moist chicken. ( not a cutlet) the sauce was delicious and the presentation was a work of art that you could eat! My wife had a chicken Caesar salad that she raved about. Our server was attentive , well dressed and very welcoming. I had a glass of the house Cabernet that was excellent and a bargain as well. I would recommend this place to anyone.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
polarisman14

Cool Another Thumbs Up!

Wanted to share my experience with you guys as well.

Short version, it was excellent.

Long version, my wife got the French Onion soup to start and I got the soup of the day--Chorizo in some kind of spicy gumbo-style broth with kidney beans,tomatoes, onion, celery. Both soups were very good and hearty, full of flavor. Then the wife moved on to her entree, Chicken Parmesan (says it's the best she's ever had!) and I tried the Seared Duck Breast. That was also excellent--the skin on the outside was slightly crispy and the meat was super tender and juicy. The port demi was a nice touch as were the raspberries and strawberries and small arugala salad on the side. The drinks we both had, the "Kaboom" and Toblerone Martini, were presented in a very unique way (especially the Kaboom--very cool) and were as tasty as they were neat to look at. We split the dessert special (chocolate and fudge cake with almond on the outside and a puddle of raspberry glaze). One word--decadent.

We'll definitely be going back.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
Old 07-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #18
riverat

Good friends of ours wanted to try out the Woodlands a few weeks ago and were told by the hostess that they probably would not want to wait for a table because it was going to be about an hour wait, they said why and was told that they just seated 2 large parties totalling 28 people.
They really wanted to stay but were told "do you really want to wait an hour" and they decided to leave, disappointed they did not get the chance to dine there. Maybe next time they're up, and make reservations.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #19
polarisman14

Yeah on Fridays, sat, and sun you want to make reservations for anything after 2pm-ish. They said it's been crazy there since they opened, they are getting much better and streamlining the whole process but still need one or two more staff members to keep up with the rush. Good things come to those who wait .

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
Old 07-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
Lyver

Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisman14 View Post
Yeah on Fridays, sat, and sun you want to make reservations for anything after 2pm-ish. They said it's been crazy there since they opened, they are getting much better and streamlining the whole process but still need one or two more staff members to keep up with the rush. Good things come to those who wait .
That surprises me that I have read several reviews saying they need one or two more staff members, then I see the owner post on Facebook that he can't find any help, yet I know 2 EXPERIENCED people who have applied, interviewed and have heard nothing back from them.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #21
Bumble2249

What's going to happen folks is everyone is eventually going to realize that Eric's attitude and self righteousness is common place for his restaurant. It trickles across the entire management/owner staff. Good luck to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #22
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble2249 View Post
What's going to happen folks is everyone is eventually going to realize that Eric's attitude and self righteousness is common place for his restaurant. It trickles across the entire management/owner staff. Good luck to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is time to let this go... I am not one of those people that slams posters based on post count, but in this case you obviously just joined this forum, or are using a pseudonym, to grind your ax.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (02-08-2014), jeffk (02-06-2014), polarisman14 (03-16-2014), RLW (02-06-2014), Slickcraft (02-06-2014), Woodlandsgirl (02-18-2014)
Closed Thread