Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Mink Islander

Default Cusk story

So on my first trip out to the island this winter I arrived in time to drill six holes and set up my cusk lines before it got dark. Went out at about 8 to check my lines. I had small ones (12-14 inches) on 4 lines but since I didn't have my headlamp (knew I'd forget it) I decided to deal with cutting the lines in the morning and simply lowered them back to the bottom. The 5th had a couple pounder that I kept to filet. And the 6th line had nada.

When I went back first thing this morning, I cut the line and released 2 of the babies but when I got to the 3rd line, I could tell there was something more substantial on the other end. When I got its head into the hole it BARELY fit -- a MONSTER cusk -- who promptly disgorged the 12 inch baby cusk (partially digested I might add) that I'd hooked the night before and it had eaten tail first -- and made a hasty retreat! Hilarious. I caught an 8+ pounder a couple of years ago. This was bigger for sure. So now I'm going to save some baby cusks for BAIT! We see if I can hook up that leviathan during the derby!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
TOAD

Cusk? That is a new one on me as far as fresh water goes...but then again I'm not a NH resident yet. I know salwater cusk but not freshwater. Is the "cusk" you refer to a local terminology for for a specific species of fish? Thanks.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAD View Post
Cusk? That is a new one on me as far as fresh water goes...but then again I'm not a NH resident yet. I know salwater cusk but not freshwater. Is the "cusk" you refer to a local terminology for for a specific species of fish? Thanks.
See http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Jonas Pilot

Default Fresh water codfish.

A cusk or burbot (lota lota) is a member of the fresh water codfishes. Old timers call them ling, lawyer or eelpout. It loves cold deep waters and has a real tasty white flesh. It's great for fish stew. You might have noticed a row of sticks sticking out of the ice with no apparent anglers paying attention to them. These are burbot sets, the only fish we can target without having to constantly watch the set. They do have to be checked every 24 hours though.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Mink Islander

Default Cusk: Ugly but tasty!

There is a whole set of rules surrounding cusk lines.

Cusk fishing device: A device for storing line in a manner which is
not free-running and is securely attached to the device and to which
is attached a sinker, weighing at least one ounce, not more than
6 inches above, and independent of, an attached single hook for bait.
The weight must rest on the bottom of the lake.

You are allowed 6 cusk lines. You must check them at least once every 24 hours and you have to put your name and address on them.

I notched both ends a bunch of 1 x 3's about 16" long, spray painted them fluorescent orange and put reflector tape on them so they're more visible at night. Tied 30 pound test to it and attached 2 1/2oz sinkers to a 3 way swivel and attached the line with the hook to the remaining swivel. I mostly use cut up shiner for bait and have had good success with that.

I usually set them up about an hour before dark and check them after dinner and again in the morning. The kids love going out with me to see if we caught any. Rarely, I've caught a laker on these lines.

The record cusk is shown below. Ken Cayer and current NH record cusk (12.22 lbs., 34.5", caught 3/13/07)
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (01-19-2010), secondcurve (01-19-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
TOAD

Thanks for the input guys! Like I said that is a new one on me...guess this old dog can still learn new stuff!

I am an avid icefisherman and would definitely like to target and taste one of those when I move up there. Is there a special way of rigging up for them and what do you use for bait?
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
TOAD

Sorry I posted before I saw the post above that had asnswers to most of my questions!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
Mink Islander

Default And one more thing!

I set up my lines in front of my place on the north side of Mink. There's a lot of ledge near shore that drops down to 20-25 feet of mostly sandy bottom with the occasional boulder pile. I put the lines out a couple hundred yards from shore. I've never tried fishing deeper for these. Haven't needed too. I rarely get skunked on cusk lines and usually catch something on at least half the lines. Maybe the week of the derby I'll drop a couple of lines in the deep hole between Mink/Timber/Jolly islands just for giggles.

Definitely worth a try -- if for no other reason so you can see first hand one of the ugliest freshwater fish with its mammoth hard flat head, big belly and long skinny body beyond the midsection. Mottled red/brown color.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Jonas Pilot

Default Recipe?

Hey Mink, How do you cook them?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
Mink Islander

Default Cooking options

Chowdah Fish. Standard New England cream based recipe (I think mine's actually Emeril's version). If you google it, I'm sure you'll find it. I use the same basic recipe for fish, clam or lobster chowder. Cusk is really just a fresh water codfish - good firm whitefish.

They need to be more than a 3-4 pounds to be worth the trouble to filet IMO. Less meat per pound than a laker or salmon. Also I find them more challenging to filet than other lake fish given their awkward dimensions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (01-19-2010)