Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Argie's Wife

Default Town Historians

Does your town have a historian?

If so, do you know exactly what their role is for your town?

I'm doing some fact-finding about this role for not just NH but all over.

Thanks for your help & input!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Pineedles

Default Historian

Our town historian is an appointed position. He is listed on the town's website with contact info. http://www.southington.org/content/52/114.aspx
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
HC0209

Thumbs up

That is really cool that you have a designated historian for your town. It would be even more interesting to see how one qualifies for such a position (i.e. to you need to be a professor, librarian, etc?) The Lakes Region would benefit with such a person but no town would ever promote such a thing.
HC0209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Argie's Wife

Many of the towns here do have a historian and it is generally an appointed position with no stipend and no budget to speak of. The nominee (or victim, whichever the case may be) is generally approved by the town's selectmen or town administrator. The qualifications aren't necessarily that someone needs to be a professor or librarian but a citizen with a willingness to work to preserve the history of the town.

As with the case of Alton, there is no real job description or criteria that must be met. It is something that I am considering taking on because there has been no one in the position for a few years now and there's some things sliding by us that should be given attention. I am a contractor for the town serving as the meeting recorder for several boards and committees, so I am probably more aware of the need than some folks in our community.

The position isn't that of someone with an unlimited knowledge of the town's history - there's plenty of people in town already that I wouldn't dare to compete with on that level; they would "smoke" me in no time. Besides, I'd much rather listen to them - they are the true treasures of this town.

However, I am resourceful and know the workings of the town. I would be able to network the resources here so that others could easily access them via the web, by email or by a phone call. My goal would be to preserve the historic artifacts of the town, keep record of our resources, and be a liaison to the schools and civics groups. My goal isn't to work on everyone's genealogy project but to direct people looking for information on where they might find it.

I have already reached out to teachers in our community and some of the locals (the local history buffs) to get their input on what they would like to see in the position. I am working with the town's executive admin to write up a job description and goals based on the input I receive and by researching what other town's historians do - or don't do - before I jump in.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
LAND HO! (04-07-2014)
Old 04-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
CrawfordCentury

One town over from you - New Durham - has had a town historian for years. Going back to perhaps the seventies. While the posts are distinct, the current volunteer town historian is also president of the town's historical society.

Projects have included researching/preserving historical structures, conducting/transcribing oral histories, etc.
CrawfordCentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links