Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
DRH

Default Rt. 11 Construction in Alton

Wanted to let people know that the NH DOT has scheduled a road resurfacing project for Rt. 11 in Alton between Butler Rd. and Minge Cove Rd., which will probably begin very soon. They're going to remove several inches of existing pavement, lay down new pavement, replace the old steel cable guard rails and "scale" the rock walls in the general area of the "Scenic View" that overlooks the mouth of Alton Bay. The project is expected to continue until September, according to DOT's original estimates. Traffic on Rt. 11 in that area will most likely be delayed off and on all summer, as the construction crews will probably only allow one-way traffic to pass at times while the work is underway.

The DOT is also planning to apply a new skim-coat of asphalt to the badly deteriorated sections of Rt. 11 between Minge Cove Rd. and Ellacoya State Park sometime over the summer. A full-scale rebuilding of that section of road, which is in poor condition in many spots, probably won't be undetaken for several more years according to DOT.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
Pepper

Ah, "Construction Season" has begun. The annual tear-up of Weirs Boulevard can't be far behind.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Wolfeboro too.....

The sign is up as you enter town on Rt. 28, "Major Construction. Seek Alternate Routes" (What alternate routes?) Construction will include Center Street where DeVylders and the Liquor Store are located.
CLICK for more information
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:52 PM   #4
Resident 2B

I drove down Route 11 today from the Weirs to Alton.

There was road repaving construction, but it was no big deal. It looked to me like it would be out of the way tomorrow evening, when we all return to the sunny and warm lake we all love for the first big weekend of summer season 2005.

Hint: Dress warmly!

Can't wait, no matter what the drive or weather is!

Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Confused

Went over rte 11 today to Laconia, and there was a sign saying "Paving on Thursday". Saw a little work that had been done, nothing major, and it got me to thinking (dangerous thing there!): Is the sign telling us that the road will be paved next Thursday (after Memorial Day) or is it a leftover from this past Thursday (before Memorial Day)?
Old 05-28-2005, 06:26 AM   #6
DRH

Default The Sign is New

I am pretty sure the sign refers to next Thursday, 6/2. The state DOT is planning to put a thin overlay of new asphalt on Rt. 11 between Minge Cove Rd. and the Ellacoya State Park area, and I think the work that was done last week was in preparation for that new coat of asphalt. That stretch of road needs to be dug up and completely rebuilt, but that major project is not expected to be undertaken until 2010 - 2013.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
DRH

Exclamation Update

Yesterday two illuminated signs went up on Rt. 11, one at the Rt. 11A intersection and the other near Precious Gardens, announcing that road construction will begin on July 12 (next Tuesday).

The roadway between the two signs is being resurfaced, the old cable guard rails are being replaced, the rock cliffs near the Scenic View are being "scaled", and the Minge Cove Rd. intersection is being relocated.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:16 PM   #8
Fun4us

Exclamation Update

This should make trips to Guilfod and Laconia fun for a little while! But I guess it will be worth it at the end. The other section of Rt 11 that they completed is great !
Fun4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

There's always rte 11D to miss some of the just sitting there times, or take a leisurely ride out 140 to 107 to get to Gilford/Laconia and enjoy the ride. Sorry, DRH, no easy way for you to go!!!!