Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
SIKSUKR

Default Maximum posts?

Today I tried to post and a pop-up box informed me I have reached the maximum number of posts(5) in a 1440 minute(24 hr) period.Either this is something new or I have never posted 5 messages in 24hrs before.Maybe I'm being moderated by being restricted?Any info would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
sa meredith

Default Not sure

It must be new...I found myself curious about your post, so I went back and checked....on 3/25 thru 3/26 I posted 7 times in a 24 hour period, so I guess it is new. Maybe it is not such a bad idea. I think if you are posting more than 5 times, there is a good chance they are not informative, but rather back and forth banter with another member...something that now seems to happen all the time. Just my guess.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
It must be new...I found myself curious about your post, so I went back and checked....on 3/25 thru 3/26 I posted 7 times in a 24 hour period, so I guess it is new. Maybe it is not such a bad idea. I think if you are posting more than 5 times, there is a good chance they are not informative, but rather back and forth banter with another member...something that now seems to happen all the time. Just my guess.
I agree to a point.This was not for posting to the same thread.Any other thread I tried gave me the same info.I had over 30 new posts threads today so I hardly think posting 1 in every 5 threads is excesive.

While I agree with our moderater about stopping the bickering,I definately disagree with 5 posts a day being plenty.I would suggest what would be more appropriate Don,is to limit the number of posts per thread/per day.The bickering is between members on the same thread.Today,I wanted to chime in 4 or 5 different threads and could not so the only way I could today was to edit this post.As always,I support our moderaters tough decisions.This one I think needs to be tweaked.Thanks for listening.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
webmaster

Thanked 3,723 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Maybe I'm being moderated by being restricted?Any info would be appreciated.
This new limit applies to everyone, not just you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith
I think if you are posting more than 5 times, there is a good chance they are not informative, but rather back and forth banter with another member
Exactly. This is not a chat-room. The "back and forth banter" is often just bickering and I'm trying to discourage that. 5 posts a day still allows you 35 posts a week and 150 posts a month. That should be more than enough for most members.

From the Posting Guidelines (in the FAQ):

Quote:
Have Something to Say

This is not a chat-room. Not all messages must be momentous but we prefer messages which actually contribute something. Try not to post one-liners or "chat-room" like replies.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
ITD

Even I am tired of the bickering going on in the other thread, seems like a few just keep it going and going even though they have had victory. I feel bad for people like SS who suffer because these people can't let others have their say quietly.

Maybe another way to handle this would be 10 posts a day with the 35 post per week limit. Would allow SS to post in more threads per day while giving us a 3+ day reprieve per week from the chronic SL posters.

ITD

Reformed chronic SL poster
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
chipj29

Is there a way that this limit can be imposed on specific posters, rather than everyone?
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

Default 1 down and 4 to go

OK,I'm going to use 1 of my 5 posts on this hot topic.As I said before,bickering only really happens on the same thread so it would make sense to me to limit the amount of posts per day for each thread.Maybe the software that supports this forum does not allow that option.Maybe I should stop spending so much time on this forum cuz it sounds like I post too much.I really enjoy all the different discussions here and I'm not happy about being shut out of all but 5 threads a day.Today my new posts total was 29 threads.I can only post to 5 once.I had 4 or 5 threads yesterday that I wanted to post to and could not,so even if pace my posting and say I'll post tomorrow on that thread,I forgot what I wanted to say!I would think 2 posts a day per thread would be fair.Heck,at least 1 per thread.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
Senter Cove Guy

Default Disagree With New Rule

I don't post a lot but I think this new posting rule is overboard. If our moderator feels that someone is hijacking, conversationalizing or whatever, he should simply suspend their privilege for a period of time. Those people will get the message real quick. Three suspensions and you're out.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
NHKathy

Default I can see both sides, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post
If our moderator feels that someone is hijacking, conversationalizing or whatever, he should simply suspend their privilege for a period of time.
As this is not his full time job, I don't think the moderator is able to spend that much time "babysitting" certain forum members , so I can see his point in a limit....
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Today my new posts total was 29 threads. I can only post to 5 once.
The post "throttling" is new and I may make adjustments based on some of the comments here. However, posting to 29 threads in a day is exactly what I'm trying to prevent. This is a small forum and one person dominating the posting is not a good thing. This is partly what makes the speed limit threads such a mess.

There are exceptions to every rule and I don't have a problem with your posts SIKSUKR. I removed the restriction yesterday for you and did not impose it on many others that are included in a special usergroup that has no forum or photopost restrictions.

I see and read every post here and I honestly think it is rare for regular members to post more than 5 posts a day. I may make some adjustments but I am surprised that some of you think this is an onerous restriction.

I finally have a day off today (from my real job, not this site) and may make some changes later.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

Thanks Don but I certainly don't want special exceptions.I fully understand your intentions and applaud your thankless job through this speed limit storm.Maybe I have to look in the mirror and wonder if I do spend to much time posting.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
webmaster

OK, I've made some changes. From now on members in good standing are not limited to 5 posts a day. I agree that there may be days when you do have worthwhile contributions to more than 5 topics and I don't want to discourage that.

If I feel someone is posted excessively or using the forum like a chat-room I will place them in a new usergroup that has the restriction. Moderated usergroups will also have the 5 post limit.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I hope this takes care of your concerns.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
chipj29

Thanks Don. I appreciate that you listen to the feedback, and are willing to make changes.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

Default Does Don rock or what?

That's a great compremise Don.Thanks so much for at the least,taking our suggestions under consideration and for trying out a slightly different tactic.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
Lin

I learned a while back when i got "moderated" for a few extra posts. They were mainly in the photopost section. I hadn't been there in a while and was checking posters photos and commenting on them when I exceeded the limit. I hadn't known there was one at the time. I love to comment on the photography of posters there are just so many beautiful and unique photos to comment on. I can surely understand the posting problems on certain threads though.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #16
Rattlesnake Guy

Lin,
It is ironic that I have heard several photo posters describe how much they enjoy the occasional feedback on the pics.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 AM   #17
CaptDan

Thumbs up Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
OK, I've made some changes. From now on members in good standing are not limited to 5 posts a day. I agree that there may be days when you do have worthwhile contributions to more than 5 topics and I don't want to discourage that.

If I feel someone is posted excessively or using the forum like a chat-room I will place them in a new usergroup that has the restriction. Moderated usergroups will also have the 5 post limit.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I hope this takes care of your concerns.

Great change. Although I'm new here and learning all the personalities, I'm sure glad that the few people bickering and high jacking threads aren't also causing Forum wide changes and restrictions.

- Dan
The Life of Riley
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote