Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
spinker

Default re-size photos

I am trying to re-size a photo to comply with the requirements for the classified section. Can anybody suggest how to do this

Thanks in advance
spinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,723 Times in 823 Posts

Use http://www.resizepic.com
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
codeman671

Default What am I missing?

I am not the greatest with manipulating pictures, at least with the software I have tried. I took a bunch of pictures the other day of ice conditions however the resolution on them has the picture size set at 2816x2112 for instance, at 1.79mb. If I shrink the size down to say 200x150 to get it down under 100k the picture is so small it is not worth posting. What am I missing or not doing right?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Island Girl

Default 1024 or more

For photopost I do 1024X768... occassionally more.. upload size is typically 500k-900k.. I use photoshop which has a save for web feature which shaves of more K at the cost of quality.

What program are you using to do this?

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default I use this software

I found this awhile ago. It's a free application that I keep on my desktop.

Simple to use. I use it to resize and rename pics from my camera. The thing I like most about it.. (besides FREE ) is the way it lets me pick the actual size of the print and lets me rename them all in one step. The rename feature is great, it makes it very easy to go back and find pictures..

http://www.download.com/FastStone-Ph...ml?tag=lst-0-2

SteveA

Did I mention it's FREE..
Old 04-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
For photopost I do 1024X768... occassionally more.. upload size is typically 500k-900k.. I use photoshop which has a save for web feature which shaves of more K at the cost of quality.

What program are you using to do this?
I just tried one with IRfanview. I cut it to 800x600 and it still came up as 1.37mb which looks to be way too large to post. Here is the error I got:

governors.bmp:
Your file of 1.37 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 100.0 KB for this filetype.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Exclamation More than size matters here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
I just tried one with IRfanview. I cut it to 800x600 and it still came up as 1.37mb which looks to be way too large to post. Here is the error I got:

governors.bmp:
Your file of 1.37 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 100.0 KB for this filetype.
Your picture will take up less data space if you convert your Bitmap (.BMP) picture to a JPeg (.jpg or .jpeg) picture format.

Good luck.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
I found this awhile ago. It's a free application that I keep on my desktop.

Simple to use. I use it to resize and rename pics from my camera. The thing I like most about it.. (besides FREE ) is the way it lets me pick the actual size of the print and lets me rename them all in one step. The rename feature is great, it makes it very easy to go back and find pictures..

http://www.download.com/FastStone-Ph...ml?tag=lst-0-2

SteveA

Did I mention it's FREE..
I just tried this software, it worked like a charm. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Glad you like it!

CM671,

It's also good that the saved "smaller" files are ideal for emailing...

I just looked at the pics.... Your Air Boat looks like a blast... any time you need a co-pilot..........

SteveA
Old 04-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #10
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow JPEGs

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671

governors.bmp:
Just in case you haven't seen it, I'll direct your atttention to this post on the topic. That out of the way there are 2 different limitations on pictures. There are pictures you post in the Photopost section and there are pictures you post as attachments to a thread/post. These latter have a more stingent file size restriction (100 kb) as you've seen. When I want to attach a pic; I crop it, then resize the remainder to be less than 600 - 800 pixels wide (or tall). The I save it as a JPEG file and adjust the compression factor to get the file size down to under 100 kb. As Al mentioned, your pic was saved as a bitmap (.bmp) file and so isn't "compressed". Saving it as a JPEG file will probably solve your problem.

I use Paint Sho Pro for pic retouching and all the above. It would be like using a nuke to kill a mouse to use it just for resizing and compressing. I don't know the interface on some of the other programs mentioned but in general if you can't find some control to adjust the JPEG compression factor, it may still be there but hidden. You may find a "Save for the Web" or "Save for e-mail" option that will save the file as a JPEG and apply fairly heavy compression to get a small size.