Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
Dad sold the C * C

Default Polyurethane on a boat.... Really

A boat is not furniture

A few years ago I bought a 12' wooden boat that had some sketchy work done on it. I knew someone had put a very thick layer of polyurethane on the decking boards, it works for furniture... Why not? The "why not" is polyurethane does not protect from UV rays from the sun. I had it in the water only on weekends last year but the was enough to break down the urethane and start cracking and let the water in to stain the deck.

Well I'm on my second bottle of stripper and many hours of scraping and I am almost done getting the urethane off. I'm not even going to worry about the rub rail made of Trex at least not this year. I'm home in MA trying to get the boat ready for vacation week.

So if you every find yourself standing around with your buddies looking at an old wooden boat that needs work.... Please remember , a boat is not furniture!
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #2
The Real BigGuy

However, Marine varnish works wonders on furniture. I redid a teal table several years ago with 5 coats and it looks better then when we purchased it.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
Dave R

I'm a big fan of Epifanes. Sure gotta be patient though, that stuff dries so slowly and requires so many coats. Gorgeous and durable results though.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:42 PM   #4
Dad sold the C * C

That's what I bought to put on the deck whenever I can get the poly off. I'm also cutting out the strips of caulking.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote