Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
bigdog

Default O'Day Widgeon ?

I'm looking at an O'Day Widgeon to purchase, someone in my neighborhood is selling. Vintage is 1978'. I believe it is a 12 footer.....
Trailer like new, new wheels,lights, bearing buddies.

Appears to be in fairly good condition for it's age, new sails. Has had some fiberglass repair, where mast fits into hull. Guess this type of GF repair is typical, as this location is where most stress is created by supporting the mast. Anyway, the owner, did a good job of repair, and probably made it stronger than surrounding area.

Does anyone have experinece with this O'Day Widgeon sailboats ?
Looks like a perfect little day sailer for 2-3 people.

Thanks,
BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
DickR

We've had one since late 80s I think. We also suffered a FG fracture at the hole where the mast steps in, when a severe microburst ripped the dock in half and capsized the sailboat. One stay snapped, and the wave action went to work on the mounting hole.

I've enjoyed the sailboat, but it has limited wind range, I think, if I'm out in it by myself. I don't think it's a good boat for the Broads or any area with a long fetch. It's too short. Even when waves aren't an issue, strong wind gusts, as when a cold front has passed and a high is building in out of the northwest, make handling it tense at times. Maybe I just don't know how to handle the sail when conditions are like that (a distinct possibility!). The nicest winds for that boat are southerly or southwesterly, before a cold front comes through. The breeze then seems a lot more steady, not too strong, and without gusts to catch you by surprise.

I've turtled it several times in gusty weather. Righting it was a struggle by myself, after which bailing it furiously for a while to gain freeboard must have been something to capture on video. On one of those occasions, I lost the tiller, as it wasn't pinned in, and it sank when the boat turtled. I found that the boat was no longer made, but I found a guy who had the drawings and could make parts. I should have paid his price for a replacement tiller, but I was too cheap and fashioned one myself. It works, but I don't think as well as the original.

It's nice having seating on each side, instead of having to ride on a flat board, like a sailfish. If the price is right, it isn't a bad boat to have. Kids will like it and can learn sailing easily enough on it. They won't like it if there isn't much of a breeze -no excitement for them.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Winnipesaukee

Take it from a crazy dinghy sailor. NO! DickR's description is accurate.

My experience with a Widgeon on Winni is any chop over 8" and wind over 10kt makes you feel like you're doing the Vendee Globe.

For 2-3 people on Winni, I'd recommend an O'Day Daysailer or even a Lightning if you have a little experience.