Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2004, 02:55 PM   #1
frank m.

Default Bald Eagle

We had an adult bald eagle out on the ice in our cove today. He had a fish up on the edge of the ice and was picking it apart for a good half hour right out in front of us. Unfortunately, our digital camera was out with my wife.
frank m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:14 PM   #2
Tyler

Default Thanks Frank

That must have been quite a treat. Where on the lake are you?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 06:01 PM   #3
frank m.

Default Four together.

On Meredith Neck. After I posted my message, I noticed the bird was back. I went outside and headed down to have a closer look, and another glided right over my head about thirty feet above, from a tree ashore (I think) to out over the cove. Then the first bird and two others I had not seen lifted up from the ice and started circling overhead, four birds in total. Each as big as a plane. All adults with white heads and tails. They climbed up a couple of hundred feet, then drifted off with the wind to the north. Wish I had the camcorder out. I expect they'll be back. Looks like they have not yet finished that fish.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
glennsteely

Frank, what cove?
Old 12-23-2004, 10:54 PM   #5
Pepper

Default I saw one too!

The other day I was in the driveway at my mother-in-law's house. She's over in Wildwood Village off Shore Drive in Laconia. I looked out the car window and leaped out of the car like my butt was on fire!!!!!! Here comes an adult bald eagle, flying LOW right up the open are of the street. I just stood there in awe - could not believe what I was watching. He flew directly over my head, no more than 20 feet off the ground, never flapped his wings once, just gliding on an unseen current. As he approached the end of the road he lifted up and glided over the trees. I watched him circle just over the treetops for about 15 seconds, then he flew on out of sight.

Boy oh boy was I at the right place at the right time! That is absolutely the closest I have ever been to one not in captivity - and believe me, I've spent a lot of time eagle watching. This moment in time will be with me forever. Wow!
Old 12-24-2004, 08:19 AM   #6
DRH

They are truly magnificent birds! We saw one here in the Minge Cove area earlier this week. Like the one Pepper saw, this one glided over our house at a very low altitude and then flew out over the water. He was evidently hunting for food, and as he proceeded up the shoreline he would periodically swoop down to the water's smooth surface and then rise again. In the past, we've found that as soon as the lake freezes over the bald eagles leave, probably moving either to the coast or to open rivers.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:44 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Bald Eagle at Minge Cove

I remember seeing a bald eagle and a Gray Heron in the Minge Cove area for the last 3,4 years. I have pictures of the heron in the cove. This year the island association cut down a lot of trees. I know there was an eagle's nest in on of the ones that was cut down. I did not notice any eagles or herons at the cove this year. I'm glad you notice an eagle as I thought they were gone.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:32 PM   #8
Misty Blue

Default Screeming Eagles

We had a couple up here on Braun Bay a few years ago. Real beauties that stayed well into the Winter. I think that they lived in the Kona WMA. the game warden said that they liked to fly down to Burger King and pick up a french fry feed mallard or two and dine in the cove.
I guess they had it their way!

Misty
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:13 PM   #9
frank m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsteely
Frank, what cove?

Black Cove. They were back overhead the next day but have not been back since.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:41 PM   #10
trfour

Post From A Friend To Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank m.
We had an adult bald eagle out on the ice in our cove today. He had a fish up on the edge of the ice and was picking it apart for a good half hour right out in front of us. Unfortunately, our digital camera was out with my wife.
One of many photos taken here in the Lakes region of New Hampshire of these very beautiful and majestic Birds by a friend and I thank him for allowing me to share one, with.
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #11
Merrymeeting

Default One sighted on Merrymeeting on Monday.

Pictures on

www.mmlake.org
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #12
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Thanks Merrymeeting, those were great!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #13
Resident 2B

Thanks for sharing the photo of this eagle with us.

I have been spending a lot of time at Parker River on Plum Island in Mass. this winter in hopes of getting a picture of a bald eagle. No luck yet.

It is great when you get an unexpected sighting of one of these great birds right from your back door.
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:10 PM   #14
trfour

Post Your very welcome, Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B
Thanks for sharing the photo of this eagle with us.

I have been spending a lot of time at Parker River on Plum Island in Mass. this winter in hopes of getting a picture of a bald eagle. No luck yet.

It is great when you get an unexpected sighting of one of these great birds right from your back door.
It does take lots of time and luck.

I'm working on an album of Reginald G. Sr's pictures to post in his name out here in PhotoPost.
Thank you

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 01-06-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:19 PM   #15
Rattlesnake Gal

Trfour,
Back in September I was having lunch with my sister in Nashua. A fellow came over to inquire about my knee brace and we all got to talking. The conversation ended up about Lake Winnipesaukee and the man mentioned a guy he knew that used to take incredible pictures. I asked him if it was Reggie and it was! Imagine that. I told him to visit us at Winnipesaukee.com, but not sure if he has stopped in.
Hope Reggie is doing well these days. He sounds like a real character.
RG
Old 01-06-2005, 07:59 PM   #16
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
Trfour,
Back in September I was having lunch with my sister in Nashua. A fellow came over to inquire about my knee brace and we all got to talking. The conversation ended up about Lake Winnipesaukee and the man mentioned a guy he knew that used to take incredible pictures. I asked him if it was Reggie and it was! Imagine that. I told him to visit us at Winnipesaukee.com, but not sure if he has stopped in.
Hope Reggie is doing well these days. He sounds like a real character.
RG
RG.
From your story, yes I would say it is Reggie!!... How interesting! He is one of those One of a kind special people that we all can meet, in a lifetime!
More to come,
Thanks RG.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #17
Lin

I'm sure NH must count the Bald Eagles on the same day seeing it is a national count but here is the info from my MA wildlife newsletter.
MassWildlife Advisory

WHAT: Mid-Winter Bald Eagle Survey

WHEN: Friday, January 7, 2005 9-3PM

WHERE: Statewide—MassWildlife staff may be reached at the MassWildlife Field Headquarters in Westborough or at the Quabbin Reservoir at the Enfield Lookout during the day. Best opportunity to view eagles is at the Enfield Lookout at Quabbin Reservoir in Belchertown or along the Merrimack River. Views are generally distant.

BACKGROUND:

MassWildlife will be participating in the nationwide Midwinter Bald Eagle Survey from January 1 through 14, 2005. January 7 will be used for a concentrated survey of major rivers, lakes, reservoirs and the coast by MassWildlife personnel and volunteers across the state. National Grid will provide MassWildlife staff with a helicopter survey of the Quabbin and Connecticut River area. In 1979, the first year of this survey, 8 eagles were documented in the state. In 2004 approximately 61 bald eagles were documented as wintering in Massachusetts during the count period. The highest number of eagles counted in this survey was 76 in January of 1998. Documented origins of wintering bald eagles based on leg bands include: Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Michigan.

Eagle sightings during the count period are welcomed and may be reported in writing to "Eagle Survey", MassWildlife, Natural Heritage and Endangered Species Program, 1 Rabbit Hill Road, Westborough, MA 01581 or via email to mass.wildlife@state.ma.us. Include town, location of sighting, and if the bird was an adult or immature eagle.

Fact sheets on the eagle restoration project and natural history information may be obtained through the Westborough office from Kim Ausmus, 508/792-7270 x200 or Ellie Horwitz x105.

CONTACTS:

Westborough Field Headquarters—Ellie Horwitz, Chief, Information & Education 508/792-7270 x105

Merrimack River Area—Patricia Huckery, Northeast District Supervisor 978/621-8432 (cell) or 978/263-4347 (office); Dr. Thomas French, Assistant Director, Natural Heritage & Endangered Species 508/450-5141 (cell) or 508/792-7270 x163 (office)

Quabbin Reservoir, Enfield Lookout—Marion Larson, Information & Education Biologist 508/330-2154 (cell) or 508/792-7270 x111 (office).
Old 01-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #18
trfour

Smile This is very Cool info Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin
I'm sure NH must count the Bald Eagles on the same day seeing it is a national count but here is the info from my MA wildlife newsletter.
MassWildlife Advisory

WHAT: Mid-Winter Bald Eagle Survey

WHEN: Friday, January 7, 2005 9-3PM

WHERE: Statewide—MassWildlife staff may be reached at the MassWildlife Field Headquarters in Westborough or at the Quabbin Reservoir at the Enfield Lookout during the day. Best opportunity to view eagles is at the Enfield Lookout at Quabbin Reservoir in Belchertown or along the Merrimack River. Views are generally distant.

BACKGROUND:

MassWildlife will be participating in the nationwide Midwinter Bald Eagle Survey from January 1 through 14, 2005. January 7 will be used for a concentrated survey of major rivers, lakes, reservoirs and the coast by MassWildlife personnel and volunteers across the state. National Grid will provide MassWildlife staff with a helicopter survey of the Quabbin and Connecticut River area. In 1979, the first year of this survey, 8 eagles were documented in the state. In 2004 approximately 61 bald eagles were documented as wintering in Massachusetts during the count period. The highest number of eagles counted in this survey was 76 in January of 1998. Documented origins of wintering bald eagles based on leg bands include: Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Michigan.

Eagle sightings during the count period are welcomed and may be reported in writing to "Eagle Survey", MassWildlife, Natural Heritage and Endangered Species Program, 1 Rabbit Hill Road, Westborough, MA 01581 or via email to mass.wildlife@state.ma.us. Include town, location of sighting, and if the bird was an adult or immature eagle.

Fact sheets on the eagle restoration project and natural history information may be obtained through the Westborough office from Kim Ausmus, 508/792-7270 x200 or Ellie Horwitz x105.

CONTACTS:

Westborough Field Headquarters—Ellie Horwitz, Chief, Information & Education 508/792-7270 x105

Merrimack River Area—Patricia Huckery, Northeast District Supervisor 978/621-8432 (cell) or 978/263-4347 (office); Dr. Thomas French, Assistant Director, Natural Heritage & Endangered Species 508/450-5141 (cell) or 508/792-7270 x163 (office)

Quabbin Reservoir, Enfield Lookout—Marion Larson, Information & Education Biologist 508/330-2154 (cell) or 508/792-7270 x111 (office).

Thank you.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #19
ApS

Default Eagles don't just "take" fish.

America's national bird started to disappear in the 1960's. My first sighting was just ten years ago -- terrific to see this comeback.

A couple of years ago, I watched a bald eagle snatch a very large turtle from the lake, really struggle to gain tree-top height, then release the turtle, which fell head-first (maybe tail-first) back into the lake.

Last April, a cousin of the bald eagle (the bald eagle is only found in the US) carried off a bear cub in full sight of Norwegian forest rangers.

Another eagle cousin, now extinct, carried off a hominid child to its nest, found by archaeologists: http://www.winnipesaukee.com/oldforu...mes;read=63433

Bald eagles also "play with their food": http://www.winnipesaukee.com/oldforu...mes;read=69731 (These last two were posted by "I.R." and "Madrasahs" respectively, my previous usernames).

Even this morning, a Pekingese was reported carried off in Montana's -0° temperatures just this past New Year's holiday. http://bozemandailychronicle.com/art...news/02dog.txt

Last edited by ApS; 01-07-2005 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Add turtle
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:23 AM   #20
Rattlesnake Gal

Default Calling All Eagle Eyes!

Wildlife Report from N.H. Fish and Game -- November 20, 2003

CALLING ALL EAGLE EYES!
The Audubon Society of New Hampshire invites you to join dozens of volunteers participating in the 23rd consecutive year of wintering bald eagle monitoring, a statewide effort to conserve and protect this federally-listed "threatened" and state-listed "endangered" species, organized in cooperation with the Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Program at N.H. Fish and Game, as well as the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.

Over the past two decades, this intensive field project has produced critically important data on bald eagle wintering activities, information that N.H. Fish and Game and N.H. Audubon have used in ongoing efforts to protect sensitive eagle habitat throughout the Granite State. Whether you can commit to regularly scheduled weekly fixed-point surveys or driving routes throughout the entire winter, or are only available a few times over the winter season, your help will be welcomed.

The Audubon Society of New Hampshire
Last winter, several dozen Audubon volunteers conducted surveys for Bald Eagles along New Hampshire's major rivers and lakes, finding a record-high number of eagles wintering in the state. We need volunteers to monitor established routes and survey poits on a weekly basis throughout the winter to determine where important foraging, perching, and roosting sites are located. You can also participate in our state's portion of th enational Midwinter Eagle Survey, which will be held in mid-January. Volunteers can also check for signs of late-winter breeding activity at known nest sites. Please contact Chris Martin in the Conservation Department at 603-224-9909, ext 317, or at cmartin@nhaudubon.org to learn more about how you can get involved.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #21
luna

Default bald eagle

I was staying on Sewall Road the week after Christmas (about a mile and a half out of town) and saw an eagle flying off the lake into the wooded area nearby. A friend of mine who lives a little closer to town had seen it fishing a day or two before. How exciting to see such a wonderful creature up so close!
luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:20 PM   #22
Merrymeeting

Default Eagle article in today's Globe

Good article on the recovery of the eagle in today's Boston Globe.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...k_on_the_wing/
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:59 PM   #23
ApS

Smile To spot an eagle, keep your antennas up.

Thanks for the article, MM. Notice the eagle-watcher in the article was named Pelosky?

(A story from last year, better forgotten).

When I'm not at Winnipesaukee, (presently at a rural/central Florida lake), I get from one to three bald eagle sightings on any one day.

Strong winds today caused me to need to untangle my already hurricane-tangled TV antenna on my steep roof -- about 25 feet above the ground.

While up there, you couldn't miss the approach of one these eagles "Kreee!...Kreee!...Kreee!.... I turned to look and saw a huge adult. It was banking slightly into the strong wind and soaring directly towards me -- right at treetop level -- a "strafing run", as it were.

...And it looked at me with absolutely no concern as it rocketed perhaps 25 feet over my head, continuing its repeated scream..."Kreee!...Kreee!...Kreee!...Kreee!...kree!...kree...."

I'd heard their distant calls before, but what was remarkable about this scream was how LOUD it was. (On this roof, it's a good thing I have strong knees!)

Awesome creature! An awesome experience...and only about six seconds in duration.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:27 AM   #24
KBoater

Default Diving Eagle

I had an eagle encounter this week while boating in FL. He was a mature eagle and dove next to the boat with claws extended picked up a fish (Mullet I'm told) and took off for a sandbar for lunch. Quite a sight. Those claws are impressive.
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:34 PM   #25
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default The Eagle Has Landed!

SURFIN' THE WEB - "Spy on the Wild"
Spy on the Wild is actually part of The Animal Planet. The link below
takes you to the lead-in page...just click the "continue" link when
you arrive on the first page.
On the second page, you'll see a picture of an eagle. To the right of
the eagle is a link for "Mini-cam in action." Click that for a real
treat. What it takes you to is six videos that are unlike any you've
ever seen. You'll have a real bird's eye view of an eagle in flight.
I do mean a bird's eye view too. Two minicams were strapped onto a
golden eagle, and the videos show you the view from the back of the
eagle as he soars over some mountainous terrain. Go soaring!
click on continue....then on "mini-cams in action"

Last edited by mcdude; 01-19-2005 at 06:38 PM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:02 PM   #26
arthurc

What a Show!
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:04 PM   #27
Silver Duck

Wow, mcdude, that was fantastic! Thanks a million!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:15 PM   #28
xltRod

That was outstanding. would like to see more of that study. Rod
Old 01-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #29
ApS

Smile Many thanks

Thanks, McD. I'd heard about this effort on Coast-to-Coast-AM radio a week ago, but never expected to view it -- and so soon.

My olde computer is impossibly slow to load these, but I've viewed two of the six so far -- several times. More tomorrow.

"My" eagle has a favorite roost across the lake from me -- one mile away. With the naked eye, I can just make him out on the branch. According to this video, he can see me twice as close as I can see him. Pretty impressive bird.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:36 PM   #30
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Awesome, McDude!!!!!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:48 AM   #31
Lin

Pretty neat views. Thanks so much for sharing the link.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:42 PM   #32
SIKSUKR

Wow!!What a view that is!!If only we could strap a camara onto fat lazy les as he flys through the aisles of Wal-mart or maybe on Grants head as he dives and encounters the rock bass or hey,how about a camara on Madrasahs eagle so it can catch all those big "offshore" boats doing damage to the shoreline.So sorry,I couldn't resist.All in good fun you guys. SS
Old 01-20-2005, 09:23 PM   #33
Pepper

Thumbs up Oh, Wow!

McDude, that was fabulous. I thoroughly enjoyed that! Thanks for sharing it! Really really really WOW
Old 01-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #34
DRH

Default Fascinating!

The others have pretty much said it all, McD. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:27 PM   #35
Just Sold

Default Eagles Fly!

Thanks to McD for a great post.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:05 AM   #36
ApS

Question Buzzard

1) One of the videos shows the "Tilly" the eagle being attacked by a "buzzard" in Scotland. The brief encounter shows a "buzzard" with its talons dropped -- a threat-gesture. In the video, Tilly does a barrel-roll to counter the threat with her talons. I had never seen this among the many turkey- and black- vultures in the US -- birds we might call buzzards.

It turns out that some buzzard species in the UK are raptors -- hawks that take live prey. http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird-guide/buzzard.htm

From the description, a buzzard in the UK seems closest in behavior to our large red-shouldered hawk, a common roadside hawk, very tolerant of human presence. (I know. One set up a nest right above my car in the driveway.)

2) To the casual coin collectors among us, a bald eagle also appears on a solid-silver United States coin commemorating the Confederate soldier. It circulated over a million half-dollars, and sells today for 50-60 dollars. I had never before seen a reference to it -- until Google turned it up. http://www.commem.com/prod31a4.htm