Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Original Mt. Washington-Post #1-50 foot section

Last September I found on side-scan-sonar a very large piece of what looked like a ship. I measured it out at about 50 feet long with the sonar software. It also had what appeared to be handrail running along one side. As my ear had not healed I asked Senter Cove Guy to dive it and tell me what he found.

He called and said he believed it was a piece of the original Mt. Washington that burned at the Weirs Pier in December of 1939 during that awful fire. She burned to the waterline.

He said four things that made him think this was the original Mount Washington-there were 3” diameter lines (ropes) on it, there were massive 3-4 foot long steel deck cleats, it appeared to have been blown apart and it was badly burned. I have read that when they removed her remains they had to use dynamite to get it all out of her berth.

I am very confident but not positive I have located three sections of the Old Mount. Given the nature of what I saw diving these sites, and what I know about her demise, these are bona fide remnants of the original Mount Washington steamer. The construction on everything I have found to date is rugged and massive.

All three sections I am posting-starting with this 50 foot (stern?) section show signs of being ripped apart (by the dynamite I assume), are all badly burned and are all big by any measure.

- Post 1: The 50 foot section of decking with cleats and lines;

- Post 2: a section of decking perhaps 30 feet long-big, burned and blown;

- Post 3: Either the port or starboard paddle wheel; Actually ½ of a paddle wheel, stuck in the mud on edge like a donut.

http://youtu.be/EWPtCwDToVY

HH

All images and video Copyright 2015 / Hans Hug & Sonar Search & Recovery / www.sonarsar.com
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (07-07-2015), Lakegeezer (12-05-2015), Pine Island Guy (07-08-2015), pjard (07-07-2015), Rattlesnake Gal (07-08-2015), Senter Cove Guy (07-07-2015), Slickcraft (07-07-2015), SunsetPointWentworth (07-10-2015), Tallyho (07-12-2015), winnasake (09-01-2015), Wolfeboro Matt (06-25-2016)