Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
JADAQ

Default Donna Jean's diner sold?

Went by yesterday and the sign was gone.

Below it read "Weirs diner coming this spring"
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JADAQ For This Useful Post:
Wolfe-man (03-25-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
kauriel

Donna Jean's Facebook page posted on 3/14:
Quote:
It's official! It is with very mixed and emotional feelings that it's time to say Goodbye Donna Jean's Diner! Donna Jean along with Peter Jr and Peter Sr., want to thank you all for the wonderful memories and your patronage over the last 20 years! Yes "20" years this past January. How time flies. So many memories with so many Awesome people. We will miss you all so very much but it's time to take a long awaited break from all the duties that went along with the Diner. We hope that you will all patronise the new operators, Susan Becker and Rick Gagnon. They are bringing with them a new name "The Eggshell at The Weirs", and plenty of experience in the Breakfast Business. Good luck Susan and Rick! Donna Jean's Diner gift certificates will be honored at The Weirs location. You can also check out our other business Country Cottage Furniture, only a couple of miles away at 717 NH Rt. 104 in New Hampton, stop on by and say Hi!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kauriel For This Useful Post:
JADAQ (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default The Eggshell

on 106 in Loudon is a fantastic breakfast and lunch spot!

I hope the Weirs location will be the same in service and food!
Old 03-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
Acrossamerica

Names mean so very much and to name a breakfast place the Eggshell just has a bad connotation. There is nothing that will kill an enjoyable plate of scrambled eggs that a piece of an eggshell in the first bite.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acrossamerica For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Start a pool

Anyone interested in starting a pool with guesses of when their retaining wall on the Channel falls into the Channel? Bonus points if you can guess the date the attached dock falls in too!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2017, 04:20 AM   #6
Reilly

Default Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Anyone interested in starting a pool with guesses of when their retaining wall on the Channel falls into the Channel? Bonus points if you can guess the date the attached dock falls in too!
No problem, not theirs & nothing to do with thread
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reilly For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-29-2017), bumble71 (03-28-2017), pondguy (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:44 PM   #7
bumble71

Quote:

Thanks for your useless post though...

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
bumble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bumble71 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-29-2017), Reilly (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
TiltonBB

The post was an attempt to point out that the subject property is in poor condition and a visual detriment to the area.

Both the diner building as well as the brown house next to it are owned by the same absentee landlord. Despite a push from the city in past years to improve the property very little has been done. There have also been notices sent to the owner regarding zoning violations on the property.

On summer weekends patrons of this business park all over the neighborhood and sometimes block access to other properties. There is not sufficient parking on that lot, especially for vehicles towing trailers.

Numerous posts on this site over several years have repeatedly pointed out that the area needs improvement and change. This property is certainly one that could use improvement.

The city is spending 1.6 million dollars on the Weirs improvement project to upgrade the area. Other properties in the neighborhood have been improved with substantial and ongoing expenditures by the owners. This property could use the same treatment. It's current appearance, from both sides, does nothing to support the ongoing efforts to improve the overall appearance of the Weirs Beach area.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:58 AM   #9
Reilly

Default ??? Wondering

Quote:
The post was an attempt to point out that the subject property is in poor condition and a visual detriment to the area.

Both the diner building as well as the brown house next to it are owned by the same absentee landlord. Despite a push from the city in past years to improve the property very little has been done. There have also been notices sent to the owner regarding zoning violations on the property.

On summer weekends patrons of this business park all over the neighborhood and sometimes block access to other properties. There is not sufficient parking on that lot, especially for vehicles towing trailers.

Numerous posts on this site over several years have repeatedly pointed out that the area needs improvement and change. This property is certainly one that could use improvement.

The city is spending 1.6 million dollars on the Weirs improvement project to upgrade the area. Other properties in the neighborhood have been improved with substantial and ongoing expenditures by the owners. This property could use the same treatment. It's current appearance, from both sides, does nothing to support the ongoing efforts to improve the overall appearance of the Weirs Beach area.
Still nothing to do with the new diner that is moving in ?.
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reilly For This Useful Post:
bumble71 (04-04-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
Barney Bear

Default The Eggshell

Let's get crackin'. 🥚
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #11
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
Still nothing to do with the new diner that is moving in ?.
When you get a minute, and I really hate to trouble you, but please post your "Thread Police" credentials for all of us to see.

This is a discussion forum. Many discussions take twists and turns from their original intent, but almost all posts are something to learn from. I am grateful to hear the point of view and information that other posters have. Despite having many, many years on Winnipesaukee there is always more to learn and the experiences and knowledge that other have is a great source of information. I am thankful that this website provides the opportunity for that.

To say that a post about the property that the restaurant is located on has "nothing to do with it" is not true, unnecessary, and out of line. As has been said by forum members about other posts: If you do not like it you are free to not read it.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:46 PM   #12
Woody38

Went by Donna Jeans today. There is refurbishment going on the exterior. No idea what is happening inside.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

Incidentally I apologize for not bringing that 85 degrees when we left Burbank, CA. to Winnipesaukee.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #13
Lakeboater

Quote:
I believe the dock has been replaced recently and looks great.
Good luck to the new owners!
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #14
Patofnaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
I believe the dock has been replaced recently and looks great.
Good luck to the new owners!
THANK GOODNESS! I was getting tired of lashing to the wall and bouncing off rocks.

Of all the infrastructure changes going on at the WEIRS, this made my night.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #15
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post

Incidentally I apologize for not bringing that 85 degrees when we left Burbank, CA. to Winnipesaukee.
We had a few days here in the high 80's Woody. On my way home from skiing Sunday I had 80 in Plymouth and 87 in Canterbury. Just sayin.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #16
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
Went by Donna Jeans today. There is refurbishment going on the exterior. No idea what is happening inside.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

I love warm weather and California but I think the 8.75% sales tax would really bother me out there.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #17
JADAQ

Looks like quite a bit of remodeling going on, big roll off dumpster and a lot of activity over the last week. Can't wait to check it out!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #18
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
Looks like quite a bit of remodeling going on, big roll off dumpster and a lot of activity over the last week. Can't wait to check it out!
Maybe mentioned here already but it said in the Laker that it will be Weirs Diner and opens May 1st.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:50 AM   #19
Overlake97

Default Sign is up: Weirs Diner

A message below the sign says they're "now hiring," followed by something like 'call xxx-xxxx or apply here.' I'll be surprised if they open on May 1st, which is this Monday; but there has been a lot of work going on so even they don't open on the 1st, it should happen very soon.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Overlake97 For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #20
JADAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
A message below the sign says they're "now hiring," followed by something like 'call xxx-xxxx or apply here.' I'll be surprised if they open on May 1st, which is this Monday; but there has been a lot of work going on so even they don't open on the 1st, it should happen very soon.
It looks very nice, outside painted, new sign and looks like they've been busy!
Can't wait to give it a try
Old 05-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #21
Overlake97

Default Weirs Diner is NOW OPEN

Drove by this morning, and there were 8 or 9 cars in the parking lot and a big Welcome Flag flapping at the corner of the building. Unless it was a "soft" opening, for family and friends only, I'm going to assume they're now open for business.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #22
Hillcountry

Wife and I stopped into the Weirs Diner for breakfast yesterday and it was standard breakfast fare which was good...the waitress was pleasant and we chatted her up about the new place.
The new owners are restaurant owners already and run a place over by Lowe's and Hannafords...the name of it escapes me now.
The waitress is a 14 year veteran of Donna Jean's diner so is quite at home there but says she is "adapting" to the new owner's ways...it doesn't seem like much was done on the interior and she said the dumpsters were there for cleaning the basement of YEARS of accumulation of "stuff" from the former owners even before it was DJ's.
It was pleasant sitting with a view of the channel and will be even more fun when the channel becomes busier (no channel traffic that day).
She also said there might even be some kind of outdoor food/drink activity for the good weather...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #23
Woodsy

Default Not great....

Went there Sunday around 10ish for breakfast.... was kind of busy but no line. We were told to seat ourselves... Sat in the back corner on the channel side.

Then waited.... and waited.... and NOBODY has been down to say hi, wipe the table and get coffee. 10 minutes goes by and FINALLY an older waitress with dark hair finally comes down and asked if we have been helped. Told her no... she made a face and walked away.... proceeded to chat with another customer up at the breakfast counter and cleaned off another table!! I thought maybe it wasn't her section but she told the waitress whose section it was... well, the people behind us got there checked dropped off and still no service for us...

We left, went to the Union and had an AWESOME breakfast!

Definitely not off to a good start!

Woodsy
Old 05-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #24
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Went there Sunday around 10ish for breakfast.... was kind of busy but no line. We were told to seat ourselves... Sat in the back corner on the channel side.

Then waited.... and waited.... and NOBODY has been down to say hi, wipe the table and get coffee. 10 minutes goes by and FINALLY an older waitress with dark hair finally comes down and asked if we have been helped. Told her no... she made a face and walked away.... proceeded to chat with another customer up at the breakfast counter and cleaned off another table!! I thought maybe it wasn't her section but she told the waitress whose section it was... well, the people behind us got there checked dropped off and still no service for us...

Woodsy
Yeah...we would have done the same thing but there was no one there when we went...too bad.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #25
Pricestavern

Default Same Experience

Quote:

Woodsy
Holy cow! That is exactly what happened to us on Sunday. Told to seat ourselves and we're completely ignored for 20 minutes. We got up and went to the Union Diner (our first time there) and loved it! We ate at the Union on Monday morning, too (meatloaf omelette - mmmmm).
Too bad for the new owners of DJs; we've found our new fav diner that we never would have tried. Did I say Meatloaf Omelette?

Mmmmmm

Last edited by Pricestavern; 05-11-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 06:08 AM   #26
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
Holy cow! That is exactly what happened to us on Sunday. Told to seat ourselves and we're completely ignored for 20 minutes. We got up and went to the Union Diner (our first time there) and loved it! We ate at the Union on Monday morning, too (meatloaf omelette - mmmmm).
Too bad for the new owners of DJs; we've found our new fav diner that we never would have tried. Did I say Meatloaf Omelette?

Mmmmmm
They won't last long with that kind of service.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #27
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

It's been a long time since I've been to DJ's--do they still use disposable foam plates and plasticware?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #28
chipj29

As a reformed restaurant manager, in my experience there is nothing worse than “seat yourself” situations. People come in and sit down, and the staff may never know it. At least with someone seating them, a staff member is immediately aware and can let the servers know. Of course that doesn’t guarantee that you will be served, it only guarantees the fact that at least 1 staff member knows you are there. You don’t need a dedicated host/hostess. Any staff member can seat people, including the servers. IMO, seat yourself is a silly concept, and can be quite harmful to a business if not done right.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #29
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
It's been a long time since I've been to DJ's--do they still use disposable foam plates and plasticware?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
We had "typical" restaurant china on our visit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #30
Woodsy

Chip...

In this case a member of the staff told us to sit wherever we like.

Woodsy
Old 05-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #31
Bigstan

Is there a website or a FB page ? If so I can't find it.

Not in any rush to go at this point, but trying a new place never hurts (well, almost never).

If they had a spin on something or went beyond your standard bacon and eggs & such I would for sure try. Think homemade hash or the like.

If there is no web presence that is a major fail, how a new company can hope to succeed without one is beyond me. You'll never attract anyone new who is under 40.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #32
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

They are the same people who own Cookin' at the Lakeside in Gilford (next to Bank of NH across from Wal-Mart), Cookin' at the Circle at the Epsom Circle, and the Eggshell on rte 106 in Loudon.
All 3 restaurants are a seat yourself family restaurant with good food, good sized portions, and usually good service.
I spoke with a waitress at one of these restaurants and she acknowledged there problems, and hopes that people will have a little patience and not write them off too quickly.
My wife and I have eaten in Gilford and Epsom many times over the past several years, with nary a complaint. The few instances of bad service, well the next time we went in, there was now sign of the person.
To those were not served promptly, I would suggest waiting a few weeks and then give them another shot.
And no, no connection to them other than having been a longtime satisfied customer of the 1st three restaurants.
Dave

Sent from my SM-G930V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #33
Doobs41378

Quote:

Woodsy
Was it you the owner apologized on Facebook to?
Old 05-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #34
Bigstan

Whats the FB page?
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #35
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
Whats the FB page?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/142345922446654/
Old 05-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #36
Woodsy

Doobs.....

yes, that was me

Woodsy
Old 05-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #37
Phantom

Somewhere in this thread I believe someone mentioned the new dock at Donna Jeans -- here it is
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #38
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Somewhere in this thread I believe someone mentioned the new dock at Donna Jeans -- here it is

Nice Photo!

TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #39
Phantom

Phantom hits the "Thanks" button