Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Mr. V

Default French restaurant

A French restaurant, properly conceived, actualized and located, would be a good addition to lakes region dining choices.

Not necessarily snooty French; maybe a bit more rustic/affordable.

The long empty site of the William Tell would probably work.
Attached Images

Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
SIKSUKR

I thought that was reopened into a different type of restaurant.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15692
Old 10-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
SIKSUKR

Woodlands Tavern but it looks like it closed?
Bumble2249 (10-15-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
noreast

I agree, Not much out there for French cuisine. The Foundry, Dean Kamens place In Manchester Is High end french mostly. Some of it's a little saucy for me but Over all excellent. Worth a trip to the big city.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
ghfromaltonbay

Default French/Swiss

I wish the William Tell would be reopened offering French/Swiss cuisine. Like others have said, an affordable rustic or country atmosphere and reasonable prices. So many of our friends who are year round residents say how much they miss the William Tell. The cuisine and the prices worked for the area. I know the Bosserts wanted to retire, but it's too bad no one took over and kept the same atmosphere. It worked!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
Pineedles

Default The Foundry

Am I looking at the wrong Foundry listing in Manchester? It doesn't appear to serve French cuisine.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
rsmlp

I have a hard time believing there is enough demand to sustain a French cuisine restaurant in the Lakes Region year round. This is a TOUGH business to make a go of it when the stars are aligned and the Lakes Region does not strike me as a big French cuisine market. Don't hold your breath.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:34 AM   #8
Merrymeeting

Mise En Place in Wolfeboro is still doing well. They are now on off-season, reduced hours, but it was crowded on Thursday night.

http://miseenplacenh.com/
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:12 AM   #9
Just Sold

The menu offerings look delicious. They do not show pricing so I have to assume they are priced higher than most restaurants in the area.
http://miseenplacenh.com/menus/current-dinner-menu/
Old 10-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
The menu offerings look delicious. They do not show pricing so I have to assume they are priced higher than most restaurants in the area.
http://miseenplacenh.com/menus/current-dinner-menu/
Yes, most entrees are in $30+ range. Also, dining area is small so reservations are suggested.

FYI, while website hasn't been updated for Fall/Winter hours, now only open Thurs-Sat
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #11
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Am I looking at the wrong Foundry listing in Manchester? It doesn't appear to serve French cuisine.
Yea, I just looked at it as well, Seems like a good mix with only a few French dishes. I seem to remember more last time we went, Maybe the foie gras slanted my opinion. The chef has a French flair for sure, Check It out.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
Zeke

Default Needed, one good restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
I have a hard time believing there is enough demand to sustain a French cuisine restaurant in the Lakes Region year round. This is a TOUGH business to make a go of it when the stars are aligned and the Lakes Region does not strike me as a big French cuisine market. Don't hold your breath.
I know a lot of people agree with this thought, that the lakes region would not be able to support a high quality restaurant. I disagree. The area has plenty of restaurants, and really, not one special place. Sure there are "good restaurants with nice staff, pretty good food, and all of that, but not one "oh my god, that food was incredible" establishment. There is no high bar for gourmet cuisine in this region. I don’t know how many could be sustained in this area, but I am certain at least one could make it. And we don’t have even one.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Gretchen's

was a great French restaurant. Formally where Lyons Den is now.

It was a bit pricy but upscale. Unfortunately Gretchen's then boy friend owned the building. When they had a falling out, he shuttered the building. Gretchen did not have access to her business.

Gretchen is currently culinary and executive chef at the Castle in The Clouds.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #14
Joebon

Miss en place is great. It is definitely fine dining. I don't think it's super expensive. You definitely get what you pay for, which is better than most restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #15
Major

Default If ever in Providence, RI

Pot au Feu is excellent! It has a very traditional French menu. If you are ever in the Providence area, it's worth the trip.

Mise en Place is excellent, but I wouldn't consider it a French restaurant. More of an eclectic menu.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (10-17-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #16
Taz

Default German cuisine

ghfromaltonbay mentioned The Wiliam Tell French/Swiss cuisine. Its not lakes region but my favorite restaurant of all time is Bavaria in Hooksett which is authentic German food, similar to William Tells Swiss offerings. If you want authentic German food it is AMAZING! The owners are from Munich and operated/owned restaurants in Munich. I have visited Munich twice and their food is authentic, believe me. You will not be disappointed.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
ghfromaltonbay (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #17
ghfromaltonbay

Default Thanks, Taz

I saw the website for the German restaurant in Hooksett, but was reluctant to drive that far from Alton Bay without hearing any reviews or recommendations. Now that Taz has commented, this place will go on my "to try" list. Until then, will have to enjoy my German/Swiss mother's cooking. She does a mean rouladen & dumplings. I myself have gotten pretty good with spaetzle and goulash. Our friends from Alton who've sampled Mom's cooking always tease her about taking over the William Tell. I don't think at 84 that she would be interested....
Old 10-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #18
Taz

Default ghfromaltonbay

Oh I think you will love it! Based on your post. Be sure to have a reservation and be prompt, they are very strict about that.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (11-01-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #19
ghfromaltonbay

Default Achtung!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Oh I think you will love it! Based on your post. Be sure to have a reservation and be prompt, they are very strict about that.
Thanks, Taz. I had to chuckle when you said they are strict for promptness. I think that is a German thing. Being raised by German & Swiss parents and grandparents, we were ALWAYS half an hour early for church, reservations, parties, etc. If you promise to pick up a German at 10, you better be there by 9:50 or you are considered late!
Old 10-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

A women I know is German and she married a Brazilian. Brazilian's are notoriously late. As was previously stated, German's are early. Needless to the say the marriage eventually ended in a divorce.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #21
Mr. V

We ate at a "French-inspired" restaurant here in Portland, Oregon, and this is the type of restaurant I think might do well.

Here is a link to their menu (scroll down through it).

Just "food for thought."

http://verdigrisrestaurant.com/menus
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #22
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
A women I know is German and she married a Brazilian. Brazilian's are notoriously late. As was previously stated, German's are early. Needless to the say the marriage eventually ended in a divorce.
I'm 1/2 German and 1/2 Swedish, and I am not early for anything. What happened ? LOL
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #23
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Woodlands Tavern but it looks like it closed?
Evidently you don't get to that part of the lake very often. The Woodland Tavern opened. was in business for two seasons and has been closed for two years now with the building for sale. The location beyond a very short summer season is terrible. too far from all centers of population for an aging population that does not like to drive in the dark or in the winter months.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:22 PM   #24
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I know a lot of people agree with this thought, that the lakes region would not be able to support a high quality restaurant. I disagree. The area has plenty of restaurants, and really, not one special place. Sure there are "good restaurants with nice staff, pretty good food, and all of that, but not one "oh my god, that food was incredible" establishment. There is no high bar for gourmet cuisine in this region. I don’t know how many could be sustained in this area, but I am certain at least one could make it. And we don’t have even one.
Top quality restaurants are expensive places to operate as the food must be first rate coming in the door. The chef must be first rate to prepare the food and the service must also be top drawer. Add all three of these things together and I believe you will find 98% of the people posting here heading for the exits when the tab for this type of restaurant comes in at a minimum of $100 per person.

Let's see how many of you all will frequent such a place more often than once a year. Once the summer "swells" have retreated to wherever, it is the locals that must come out at least once every two weeks to make such a place work. Please vote!
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #25
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
Evidently you don't get to that part of the lake very often. The Woodland Tavern opened. was in business for two seasons and has been closed for two years now with the building for sale. The location beyond a very short summer season is terrible. too far from all centers of population for an aging population that does not like to drive in the dark or in the winter months.
Evidently you haven't been in this area very long. The William Tell restaurant was in business, successfully, for over 30 years. It was frequented not only by summer folks, but by leaf peepers, skiers, and locals / tourists year round. In fact, most weekends during the year reservations were suggested for prime dining hours. Woodland Tavern had some internal problems that unfortunately led to its demise. As a local who lives 7 minutes away, I would have no problem supporting a restaurant in that location. JMHO.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
GBGX2 (11-08-2016), ghfromaltonbay (11-08-2016), ishoot308 (11-08-2016), smith point boater (11-08-2016), Whimsey (11-11-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #26
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Evidently you haven't been in this area very long. The William Tell restaurant was in business, successfully, for over 30 years. It was frequented not only by summer folks, but by leaf peepers, skiers, and locals / tourists year round. In fact, most weekends during the year reservations were suggested for prime dining hours. Woodland Tavern had some internal problems that unfortunately led to its demise. As a local who lives 7 minutes away, I would have no problem supporting a restaurant in that location. JMHO.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Yup, completely agree upthesaukee! William Tell had a thriving business year round! They provided consistent quality food and service at a decent price, something Woodlands couldn't seem to grasp...

Dan
upthesaukee (11-08-2016), Whimsey (11-11-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #27
Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
Top quality restaurants are expensive places to operate as the food must be first rate coming in the door. The chef must be first rate to prepare the food and the service must also be top drawer. Add all three of these things together and I believe you will find 98% of the people posting here heading for the exits when the tab for this type of restaurant comes in at a minimum of $100 per person.

Let's see how many of you all will frequent such a place more often than once a year. Once the summer "swells" have retreated to wherever, it is the locals that must come out at least once every two weeks to make such a place work. Please vote!
I appreciate what you are saying, and have had this debate with others before. But I do believe that this region would support a restaurant like you have described. I would have to be top quality though. No posers. In different areas of NE, I have been to somewhat remote locations that boast very high end establishments, and do so with offseason issues as well. Primo in Rockland ME is an example. Rockland is dead in winter and spring. Even more so than here. But this place does well. I can name a few more. I think it would be great.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #28
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
New Hampshire's largest certified farm to table restaurant: http://www.foundrynh.com