Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #1
Broken Glass

Default Bass Bothering Swimmers

We are having some annoying issues with bass biting swimmers that are standing in the water but not swimming around. They bang into your legs and feet and although their bite is harmless it is still uncomfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping them away?
Broken Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:50 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Rock Bass

Very aggressive. They are evasive species.

One had biten a male child nipple and he was bleeding. The child will not go back in the water since the attack.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Lets get Capt' Quint out here
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Glass View Post
We are having some annoying issues with bass biting swimmers that are standing in the water but not swimming around. They bang into your legs and feet and although their bite is harmless it is still uncomfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping them away?
If I had to guess without seeing just where your standing in the water your getting bit by rock bass or sunfish that are spawning or have just finished spawning and are defending their young fry. More than likely not smallmouth or largemouth bass, there spawn cycle is pretty much over now. In a week or so they will more than likely be gone as they retreat to deeper water after the spawn.

Instinctively bass/sunfish will just about commit suicide to defend there nests, eggs and newly hatched fry.

There are several topics in the forum about them. Hotly debated many years ago if they even existed in the lake, now considered an invasive species.

Not that it makes much of a difference my son and I kill them all by letting them die in the live well with no water and take them home and dispose of them. You could try destroying the nest/s if they are defending it, but you have to really know what to look for. You would have to be careful doing something like this because other very similar sized (more desirable) sunfish are also spawning You might want to check with fish and game to see if they have any suggestions. Even the best intentions to control these fish could get you in trouble.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #5
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

One had biten a male child nipple and he was bleeding. The child will not go back in the water since the attack.
I believe you meant "Invasive" and yes, all rock bass caught should be killed. Not at all dissimilar to lion fish in the ocean especially on coral reefs.
The good news is rock bass are very easy to catch and like lion fish are good to eat.

Also, they are easy to identify. Shaped like sunfish but coloring of bass EXCEPT they have red eyes. Once you see one, you'll never forget it.

Unfortunately, they are really taking over the lake killing off sunfish, perch, whitefish and I haven't caught a pickerel in years. I also notice they're getting bigger. I'm surprised fish and game doesn't encourage some sort of rock bass tournament or maybe they do and I'm unaware. DEF a problem though.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
Broken Glass

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
If I had to guess without seeing just where your standing in the water your getting bit by rock bass or sunfish that are spawning or have just finished spawning and are defending their young fry. More than likely not smallmouth or largemouth bass, there spawn cycle is pretty much over now. In a week or so they will more than likely be gone as they retreat to deeper water after the spawn.

Instinctively bass/sunfish will just about commit suicide to defend there nests, eggs and newly hatched fry.

There are several topics in the forum about them. Hotly debated many years ago if they even existed in the lake, now considered an invasive species.

Not that it makes much of a difference my son and I kill them all by letting them die in the live well with no water and take them home and dispose of them. You could try destroying the nest/s if they are defending it, but you have to really know what to look for. You would have to be careful doing something like this because other very similar sized (more desirable) sunfish are also spawning You might want to check with fish and game to see if they have any suggestions. Even the best intentions to control these fish could get you in trouble.
Great information Thanks! I figured the problem was the Rock Bass as they are getting bigger and more plentiful around our dock on the island. They have bothered me in the past but yesterday some of the hits on the legs hurt. I don't ever want any of the little ones to get spooked about going in the water.
I intend to contact Fish and Game to find out their recommendations
Broken Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

Sorry to hear that someone you know was bitten by one of these nasty fish. Sure makes you think about skinny dipping these days.

I guess all of us guys are going to have to consider the bro in the future if we want to go swimming in the lake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfONNfAjyrc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL4Sl6oVuyk
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #8
DanteMartiniello

These fish are probably breeding and defending their nests, It can be a pain at that time, I would recommend if you see one, Kill it, because it will spawn more of those damn Rocky's

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
DanteMartiniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #9
DanteMartiniello

Oh and also, If you enter the water, and try to capture these fish, please be aware or the fins on its upper body, those will hurt a little, almost like a horn-pout.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
DanteMartiniello is offline   Reply With Quote