Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2017, 06:09 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Thumbs up Weirs Beach: 6-quarters, $1.50, swimming the outer rope line

Here's an el cheapo, deluxo swim exercise for doing Weirs Beach that will maybe appeal to people who never really wanted to go to Weirs Beach in the past. I know that I always avoided the Weirs and just drove on past, going from Meredith to Wal-Mart or Lowe's, but now there's something worth stopping to do at Weirs Beach....... swimming the outer rope line. Do they have the usual list of beach area swim rules of no masks, no snorkels, no floats ......I don't know? ....I forgot to check but probably, they do? The water temp felt like it was about 65-70 degrees which was a wee bit cool, but still very swimmable.

With the new kiosk parking meter down in the center of the Weirs Beach parking lot, what used to cost ten dollars, minimum, to park, for all day long, now just costs 2-dollars/hour, and the electronic hi-tech meter will pro-rate your quarters deposited to the minute so you can say press, for example, six quarters into the slot, and be good for 45-minutes of beach-swim time. Bringing quarters is a good move.

Two lifeguards, stationed on high lifeguard seats, were there to watch, just in case, maybe you are a cautious swimmer. The total length of the outer swim line is about, maybe 200-yards in length, and the depth is pretty much a constant six feet deep, out along the outer rope line, with a very sandy bottom. This is a totally great place to go swimming, not rocky, water shoes are not needed, it's very sandy so barefoot works fine, and the Winnipesaukee scenery is super-duper ....... it's not the ocean ..... it's a big lake with wind driven swells, motorboat wake waves, and very clean water!

The kiosk meter at the beach does not accept any paper money, just quarters or a credit card; you enter your parking space number, and the info goes to a central lap top 'puter so it is a little different than the usual kiosk meters that dispense a paper receipt. Probably, one could swim the 200-yard, rope line and walk the length of the beach, back to your car, before your meter time is up, for just three or four quarters, 22 1/2 or 30-minutes time ...... that's a new, el cheapo Winnipeaukee swim workout .....the 75-cent Weirs Beach, 200-yard, swim special!

While I was there, it looked like the NH Dept Environmental Services showed up in their small, old grey Ford s.u.v. to do a water quality test, so for 75-cents worth 22 1/2-minutes, one gets a parking spot, a parking-security person, 2-young lifeguards, water testing, constant six foot depth, sandy bottom, and a good swim ....... plus, if you want ..... one can add more quarters to the meter....and go walk around the rest of the Weirs Beach area to see why it was always a good place to avoid in the past, or move the car up to the main road, Lakeside Rd., where parking is one dollar/hour, 50% less than at the beach.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-27-2017 at 07:55 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

4th of July is usually a weekend to avoid the Weirs.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
SteveO123

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Here's an el cheapo, deluxo swim exercise for doing Weirs Beach that will maybe appeal to people who never really wanted to go to Weirs Beach in the past. I know that I always avoided the Weirs and just drove on past, going from Meredith to Wal-Mart or Lowe's, but now there's something worth stopping to do at Weirs Beach....... swimming the outer rope line. Do they have the usual list of beach area swim rules of no masks, no snorkels, no floats ......I don't know? ....I forgot to check but probably, they do? The water temp felt like it was about 65-70 degrees which was a wee bit cool, but still very swimmable.

With the new kiosk parking meter down in the center of the Weirs Beach parking lot, what used to cost ten dollars, minimum, to park, for all day long, now just costs 2-dollars/hour, and the electronic hi-tech meter will pro-rate your quarters deposited to the minute so you can say press, for example, six quarters into the slot, and be good for 45-minutes of beach-swim time. Bringing quarters is a good move.

Two lifeguards, stationed on high lifeguard seats, were there to watch, just in case, maybe you are a cautious swimmer. The total length of the outer swim line is about, maybe 200-yards in length, and the depth is pretty much a constant six feet deep, out along the outer rope line, with a very sandy bottom. This is a totally great place to go swimming, not rocky, water shoes are not needed, it's very sandy so barefoot works fine, and the Winnipesaukee scenery is super-duper ....... it's not the ocean ..... it's a big lake with wind driven swells, motorboat wake waves, and very clean water!

The kiosk meter at the beach does not accept any paper money, just quarters or a credit card; you enter your parking space number, and the info goes to a central lap top 'puter so it is a little different than the usual kiosk meters that dispense a paper receipt. Probably, one could swim the 200-yard, rope line and walk the length of the beach, back to your car, before your meter time is up, for just three or four quarters, 22 1/2 or 30-minutes time ...... that's a new, el cheapo Winnipeaukee swim workout .....the 75-cent Weirs Beach, 200-yard, swim special!

While I was there, it looked like the NH Dept Environmental Services showed up in their small, old grey Ford s.u.v. to do a water quality test, so for 75-cents worth 22 1/2-minutes, one gets a parking spot, a parking-security person, 2-young lifeguards, water testing, constant six foot depth, sandy bottom, and a good swim ....... plus, if you want ..... one can add more quarters to the meter....and go walk around the rest of the Weirs Beach area to see why it was always a good place to avoid in the past, or move the car up to the main road, Lakeside Rd., where parking is one dollar/hour, 50% less than at the beach.

My daughter got a ticket there on Sunday as she walked to the kiosk to pay for parking...turned around and there is t was...gotta love LPD I guess. Progress...???
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Good review FLL, maybe you should send it to the LDS.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO123 View Post
My daughter got a ticket there on Sunday as she walked to the kiosk to pay for parking...turned around and there is t was...gotta love LPD I guess. Progress...???
One of my pet peeves about parking kiosks. That and having to to far away from your car to "feed" the meter. Last time I was at North Beach in Hampton, the nearest kiosks had a line of 6 waiting trying to figure out how to use their card. I went 2 blocks the other way to use another and I got back and was about to get a ticket. There must be some protocol for parking officers because of this problem.
The other pet peeve is I cant scam like I used to. When just hanging on the wall for a few hours you would keep a few quarters ready and throw them in right when needed!