Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #101
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
BTW I was thinking about the original topic of this thread on Sunday. We decided to search out some new spots to stop and fish for awhile.

We pulled into a quiet cove on Bear Island. I looked around for a few minutes for a good spot but there were people sitting out on docks and porches and this thread kept going through my mind.

I even dropped the anchor for a second but just didn't feel comfortable, so I went for a ride instead.

My wife thinks I'm an idiot. She really likes to find good fishing spots, even though we never seem to catch anything. She could not understand why I felt uncomfortable.
Try to remember this post from a land owner that is fortunate to have one edge of the property adjoining "the lake" the next time you feel uncomfortable. The great majority of those of us fortunate enough to touch the lake with our property and docks also own a boat. With that boat we travel to every nook and cranny of "the lake". We respect everyone's right to share the water. Boats come buy and fish or picnic or swim all day long. (on a good day) Most of us enjoy the change in scenery. We love to check out the variety of boats and people.

I get a little stressed when a Captain B head comes close to my family swimming, but that is a rare event for us.

I don't want to feel uncomfortable when I travel the lake and hope that no one feels uncomfortable experiencing our bit of heaven from the other side of the glass. The way I look at it is if I did not want people enjoying the space right next to me, I should have not bought a house that abuts a State Park.

Enjoy this great lake we share.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #102
Skip

Thumbs up thanks for those fine thoughts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Try to remember this post from a land owner that is fortunate to have one edge of the property adjoining "the lake" the next time you feel uncomfortable. The great majority of those of us fortunate enough to touch the lake with our property and docks also own a boat. With that boat we travel to every nook and cranny of "the lake". We respect everyone's right to share the water. Boats come buy and fish or picnic or swim all day long. (on a good day) Most of us enjoy the change in scenery. We love to check out the variety of boats and people.

I get a little stressed when a Captain B head comes close to my family swimming, but that is a rare event for us.

I don't want to feel uncomfortable when I travel the lake and hope that no one feels uncomfortable experiencing our bit of heaven from the other side of the glass. The way I look at it is if I did not want people enjoying the space right next to me, I should have not bought a house that abuts a State Park.

That is one of the nicest and well thought out posts that I have read here in a long time!

You Rattlesnake's are a very fine couple; the Lake in general and society in particular would do well to have more folks around just like you guys!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #103
hazelnut

Quote:
I was making a joke. The incidents I refer to were all well above 6 mph, more like 15+. I did not mean to single out pontoons, and sailboats, I've seen pinheads in pretty much every type of boat. Once in awhile I even see one in the mirror. Everyone make mistakes.

BTW I was thinking about the original topic of this thread on Sunday. We decided to search out some new spots to stop and fish for awhile.

We pulled into a quiet cove on Bear Island. I looked around for a few minutes for a good spot but there were people sitting out on docks and porches and this thread kept going through my mind.

I even dropped the anchor for a second but just didn't feel comfortable, so I went for a ride instead.

My wife thinks I'm an idiot. She really likes to find good fishing spots, even though we never seem to catch anything. She could not understand why I felt uncomfortable.

I have to admit this thread went through my mind this past weekend as well. My wife and kids and I were out for a kayak ride. I was hugging the shoreline and we came across a property where I got the distinct feeling that the owner wasn't quite happy to see me just 20 feet off the dock cruising by. Oh well, most of the people I encountered were more than happy to offer a good morning a wave and a smile much to the delight of my kids who emphatically waved back. The 2 year old says "Hi, hi, hi, hi, hi, hi, hi...." over and over until she gets a response. Most love it and laugh, wave and say hi back. Then as we paddle away she starts with "bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye...." until she gets a bye and a wave.

Saturday was soooooooooo quiet up until noon time or so.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #104
Just Sold

R-Guy is right on target and Skip has both the RG's pegged right. They are very nice people that some out there need to learn from.

From my experiences out on the lake: a few years ago I was in the far eastern end of the lake in an area that has a sandy botton and is < 25' deep quite a distance out from shore. I anchored about 200' out from where there was a very small boat mooring area (400'+ from shore) and in fact not directly out from the mooring area. Well the "Woman" who obviously had some children with her on shore went out to her moored boat got in releasing the boat from the mooring and proceeded to do a few spins creating a large wake which came out towards my boat and then parked the boat at the dock. She never took the boat out from the dock while I was there. I also got a few nasty looks from her as well but she never said a word to me. I did not move - finished our lunch took a swim and then read a book for a while. BTW the "Womans" property was a common area to a number of other homes not directly on the water. I know the area well as the adjoining property is one that I visited in my youth and is still owned by the same family today.

I believe in respecting a property owners litoral rights and not be so rude as to drop anchor up close to shore. Would you pull up in front of someones home - on a street - get out and play catch in the street right up to their property line? Well maybe there are some that would.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #105
sa meredith

Default no homes

If you are boating on weekdays, and are seeking a quiet cove, where there are no homes (yet, at least), try Johnson's Cove in Winter Harbor.
On weekdays, it has become one of my favorite spots on the lake.
Very easy to anchor, and see nothing but water and woods all day. Very quiet, usually. And if you feel like climbing ashore after a swim, there is noone there to chase you away.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #106
jrc

Thanks for the good advice RG,

I'm not totally inhibited from anchoring but I usually don't like to be too close. We are quiet, no kids or loud music, so if you have to have a boat in your cove...

Now when the teenagers visit, we go to Paugus bay near the cemetary, and let the splashing and yelling wake the people there.

SA Meredith, I know about Johnson's, but I never tried going in there. Can't think of why now. Probably pretty crowded on weekends.

We have our tried and true places, some for crowded days, some we have friends at, some good for windy days, some only for weekdays, but sometimes we like to explore and find new places.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #107
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post

Wish there was a thank you button on this thread.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #108
Winni Boater 17 Years

Default Bone Head Varney People

Interesting, we use to anchor in the vary spot in the Verney's. The same folks, not so gray then, came shooting buy our kids swimming off the stern nearly hitting them. This is not new for these Gray Hairs, it's their mode of operation. You would think the Marine Patrol would take some action in this regard. Shame on them.
Winni Boater 17 Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #109
KDL

WB17Y, Thank you for your post. It sure does shed some light on what happened to us. The next time I choose to anchor in that location, I will have my camera at the ready. Apparently this has been going on way to long.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #110
John A. Birdsall

Default mooring

Someone said that they could moore 5' off the shore. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that there is a law saying that it illegal to moore less than 25' and then you must be 50' from another boat. I must admit that I am not sure of this and could be wrong. (did I say I could be wrong?)

I think that we all should respect other peoples property and privacy. Be courtess to your fellow boaters, obey the 150' rule, and then above all else enjoy the lake the summer is too short.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #111
jrc

John, the distance from shore and distance from other boats, only applies in "No Rafting Zones". Outside these zones there are no distance rules or laws.

See RSA 270:44 or search for rafting on this forum.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #112
Orion

Talking No laws!!!

Quote:
Outside these zones there are no distance rules or laws.
Yiiikes! It's like the wild-wild west out there! Better stay in the no-rafting zones!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #113
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Lightbulb Lake Norman NC

I have seen an aerial photo at Lancaster BBQ in Mooresville NC of a huge rafting party on Lake Norman. From the air it looks like a huge serpant in the middle of the lake. This is pretty slick. I like to see on a calm day a huge rafting party on The Broads. I see no entry in Guiness Book of World record for number of boats tied together. Will anyone be interested in joining a rafting party on The Broads, weather permitting, to enter a number in Guiness Book of World record? That will be slick to have another Winnipesaukee first.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #114
jrc

I've seen and been in rafts of about a dozen boats on Winnipesaukee. It was novel the first few times but it lost it's appeal. I haven't rafted the new boat yet, but I may try it with one or two friends.

I've seen aerial shots like BH of huge rafts, at least a hundred boats. From a practical standpoint making this is on Winnipesaukee would be difficult. First you need a big shallow area that's not in a No rafting Zone. Anchoring in 80-90 feet of water like the broads will make an unweildy raft.

Second you need to keep the wakes down. And one big wake will send everyone scrambling. No matter how many fenders I had out I never felt safe in a big raft. Imagine the weight of ten other boats carried by a big wake and pushing on your hullsides. Now think about 100 boats.

Count me out, but I might buy the photo from Flyguy!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #115
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I have seen an aerial photo at Lancaster BBQ in Mooresville NC of a huge rafting party on Lake Norman. From the air it looks like a huge serpant in the middle of the lake. This is pretty slick. I like to see on a calm day a huge rafting party on The Broads. I see no entry in Guiness Book of World record for number of boats tied together. Will anyone be interested in joining a rafting party on The Broads, weather permitting, to enter a number in Guiness Book of World record? That will be slick to have another Winnipesaukee first.
I wouldn't like to join it, but I sure would like to see it. If you do it make sure you tell us so we can watch!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #116
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

After reading Woodswalks post,I would bet that he would welcome all in front of his place where it's a little more shallow
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #117
ApS

Talking Thread-Drift? Not here...

Quote:
"...I have seen an aerial photo at Lancaster BBQ in Mooresville NC of a huge rafting party on Lake Norman. From the air it looks like a huge serpent in the middle of the lake..."
Lake Norman's exceptional rafting contest is done for Charity: As a long, narrow and awkwardly-shaped lake, the raft must be serpent-shaped because room for normal boat traffic is necessary.

Two advantages of Lake Norman, is that it has a municipal water supply, and the location is
a "dry county"
. (IF you get my drift).

Quote:
"...I like to see on a calm day a huge rafting party on The Broads...Will anyone be interested in joining a rafting party on The Broads, weather permitting, to enter a number in Guinness Book of World record? That will be slick to have another Winnipesaukee first..."
I doubt, even for Charity, you could get as many boats as Lake Norman gets:
Their record is over 1453 boats registered for the event!

That said, locating your competing Lake Winnipesaukee rafting contest in "The Broads" would be far more accommodating to lakefront owners.

Many lakefront owners depend on a "clean" supply of water at the intake pipe. The availability of clean water is much-reduced in the shallower waters of Lake Winnipesaukee's inlets, coves, bays, and especially those oft-maligned No-Rafting zones.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #118
jrc

Check this out

http://www.skipperbuds.com/Page.aspx...e-Raft-Up.aspx
Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #119
LakeSnake

BroadHopper,

In the day's of my youth I tried a simmilar stunt as you describe with about 5 or 6 boats in the broads behind Rattlesnake. It went really well until just after dusk we were interruped by the Mount's horn as it came directly towards us from Wolfborough.

If you need to know how fast a bunch of youngsters can unlash five boats and get them underway I can defenitly tell you.

Therefore I must pass the offer to attempt this on a larger scale. I am not that young, quick or darring any more.
LakeSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #120
bigRazor

Quote:
That looks like so much fun that it would have to be illegal in New England.
bigRazor is offline   Reply With Quote