Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
hancoveguy

Default boat registration in Nh-1st time

Hello all,
I just bought my first boat a month ago and after I get it wrapped up and stored I need to figure out how to get it registered in NH. I live in Ma but have a place in NH. What do I need to do to get it registered, is there any inspection or anything like with a car? Feel free to answer any other dumb questions I haven't thought to ask yet...

Thanks in advance
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
ITD

Just go to a marina or some hardware stores, bring your checkbook, you'll need it. Heath's in CH does them. Good luck.

No inspection, they just lighten your wallet, don't forget you need a boat license to boat in NH now, but they don't check for registration.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Kamper

All DMV offices and some town/city halls. If you go the municipal office route, use the town your place is in so it will raise their revenue and theoretically reduce your property taxes (in the loooooong run).

If your route to the lakes uses route 3, you can check with Pete's Gun and Tackle in Hudson. Take exit 2 across the Merrimack River to Hudson,turn right on 3A. About a mile south bear left at Dracut Rd (I think it's Dracut). It's visible from that intersection. It's been a few years since I used them so call ahead.

Also the DMV HQ at the state offices in Concord is easily accesible from I93 and I393. Watch for the signs for Hazen Drive. For that locaton you'd have to go during the week.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
GTO

Default Fyi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
All DMV offices and some town/city halls. If you go the municipal office route, use the town your place is in so it will raise their revenue and theoretically reduce your property taxes (in the loooooong run).

If your route to the lakes uses route 3, you can check with Pete's Gun and Tackle in Hudson. Take exit 2 across the Merrimack River to Hudson,turn right on 3A. About a mile south bear left at Dracut Rd (I think it's Dracut). It's visible from that intersection. It's been a few years since I used them so call ahead.

Also the DMV HQ at the state offices in Concord is easily accesible from I93 and I393. Watch for the signs for Hazen Drive. For that locaton you'd have to go during the week.

Good luck!
If you do go to Petes Gun & Tackle, bring cash, they do not accept checks
Old 12-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
waukewanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Just go to a marina or some hardware stores, bring your checkbook, you'll need it. Heath's in CH does them. Good luck.

No inspection, they just lighten your wallet, don't forget you need a boat license to boat in NH now, but they don't check for registration.
Boat license?
waukewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Skip

Post NH Boater Education Program (license or certificate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waukewanderer View Post
Boat license?
Yep....just go HERE to get all the information you need on the NH Boater Safety Education Certificate (license).
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
Pineedles

Default Interesting Advice on the NHBSE Site

If you have a fire on your boat do the following according to the NHBSE:

"Position the boat so that the fire is downwind.
If the fire is at the back of the boat, head into the wind. If the engine must be shut off, use a paddle to keep the bow into the wind."

Then kiss your ass goodbye as the fire progresses towards you...

Maybe they should add "JUMP OFF THE BOAT" before you it blows up!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
If you have a fire on your boat do the following according to the NHBSE:

"Position the boat so that the fire is downwind.
If the fire is at the back of the boat, head into the wind. If the engine must be shut off, use a paddle to keep the bow into the wind."

Then kiss your ass goodbye as the fire progresses towards you...

Maybe they should add "JUMP OFF THE BOAT" before you it blows up!
Best advice I got on boat fires was when I bought my first jet ski. The guy says see this fire extinguisher? If you have a fire, grab it and throw it in the water, then jump in after it.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #9
Airwaves

hancoveguy;
Marine,
Unlike in Massachusetts there are no Statewide DMV offices in New Hampshire so you have to register the boat either at town hall or via the state. (some marinas can register a boat) The registration for the trailer is done through the town hall.

Registering the boat is easy. If you don't do it through the marina where you bought your boat just concact NH Dept of Safety, Division of Motor Vehicles, 23 Hazen Dr. Concord, NH 03305 or call 603 271-2333 (Boat Desk) Mon - Fri 8:15a - 4:15p or the NH Town Hall in which you "have a place".

Trailer registration is done through the town in which you mentioned you "have a place" and should be kept in NH most of the time. You can also register the trailer in Mass if you so choose.

I personally have boats and trailers in both states, it depends upon where you use them.

BTW, In NH depending on the capacity of the trailer, it may need to be inspected. That can be done at any station that also inspects vehicles.

Last edited by Airwaves; 12-28-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: NH trailer inspection comment
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:02 AM   #10
waukewanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Yep....just go HERE to get all the information you need on the NH Boater Safety Education Certificate (license).
With respect, Skip... the safety certificate isn't defined as a license, and it isn't required for all boaters:

Pursuant to RSA 270-D:10, I, no person born on or after the dates provided in Table 6100-1 shall operate a motorized vessel with any type of power motor in excess of 25 horsepower on the public waters of this state without first obtaining a certificate of boating safety education.

A license is required to operate a commercial vessel, but that's a different thing.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:47 AM   #11
Skip

Post NH DMV substations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
hancoveguy...Marine,
Unlike in Massachusetts there are no Statewide DMV offices in New Hampshire so you have to register the boat either at town hall or via the state...
Not true.

The State maintains thirteen DMV substations. You can contact the one nearest you by obtaining its location HERE.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
robmac

I second Petes Gun & Tackle,great folks to deal with.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
EricP

Quote:
Best advice I got on boat fires was when I bought my first jet ski. The guy says see this fire extinguisher? If you have a fire, grab it and throw it in the water, then jump in after it.
We must have been in the same class! I rememeber that too!
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
gtxrider

Default waiting for SKIP

Quote:
With respect, Skip... the safety certificate isn't defined as a license, and it isn't required for all boaters:

Pursuant to RSA 270-D:10, I, no person born on or after the dates provided in Table 6100-1 shall operate a motorized vessel with any type of power motor in excess of 25 horsepower on the public waters of this state without first obtaining a certificate of boating safety education.

A license is required to operate a commercial vessel, but that's a different thing.

Just waiting for Skip's reply. I think all power boat operators need a certificate. But I my be wrong.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #15
gtxrider

Default Watch your speed!

There is now a speed limit on Winnipesaukee!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #16
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider View Post
Just waiting for Skip's reply. I think all power boat operators need a certificate. But I my be wrong.
He is correct.

You need the certificate only if the craft has a motor in excess of 25 horse (for recreational use), as the RSA cited mentions.

On another note I maintain that the certificate can be called a "license", as the certificate is required by the government to operate the type of craft covered, and the certificate (privilege to operate) can be suspended, recinded or revoked by the Government for a host of different reasons for due cause.

While it is "legal semantics" to call the certificate a "license", as many folks do, it is not incorrect in the strictest legal terms.

You know that old legal saying....."if it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck.....

Regardless of what we call it, it is now required for any recreational vessel with a power plant in excess of 25 HP.

Last edited by Skip; 12-29-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #17
Airwaves

Default Statewide DMV?

While Skip may link to the site showing 13 "substations" they may not be able to help you.

I personally contacted Concord via telephone and asked that very question when I first tried to register a trailer and I was told I could only register my trailer via town hall and that the boat could be registered via town hall, the state or via some marinas.

I also asked about those substations that Skip mentions and was told it was for drivers license renewal or renewal of registration but I could not use them for new registrations.

So either a state employee got it wrong, or...

Regarding the boating safety certificate...I don't care how many times that Skip or anyone else claims it's a license. It is not a license. It does not expire and it is not renewable. It is a lifetime certificate of accomplishment.

While your boating priviledge may be recinded in NH for violating the law, NH can not recind your certificate of accomplishment of passing a safe boating class especially if it was not issued in NH to begin with!

Even the NH regulation states it is a lifetime certificate.

Last edited by Airwaves; 12-29-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-2008, 06:23 AM   #18
Skip

Quote:
...While your boating priviledge may be recinded in NH for violating the law, NH can not recind your certificate of accomplishment of passing a safe boating class...
Again, the poster is incorrect.

RSA 270-D:13 (II) clearly gives authority to the State to revoke its issued certificate: ... II. Once issued, the certificate of safe boater education shall be valid for the lifetime of the person and may not be revoked by the department of safety or a court without cause and a hearing in accordance with RSA 541-A.

The State's Administrative Code lays out the reason and process to revoke the certificate in the passage I provide below:

Saf-C 6107.03 Revocation of Certificate.
(a) Upon showing of just cause, pursuant to RSA 270-D:13, II, a boating certificate shall be revoked after a hearing.
(b) The revocation period shall not exceed one year. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, if after the hearing the hearing examiner finds that the holder of the safe boater education certificate shall benefit from reattending a safe boater education course, the hearing examiner shall set forth his or her findings in his or her order and the holder of the safe boater education certificate shall not have his or her certificate reinstated until he or she has complied with the hearing examiner's order.
(c) Just cause, for the purposes of (a) above, shall include, but not be limited to:
(1) Conviction of a boating while intoxicated; or
(2) Conviction of any act that indicates a reckless disregard for the safety of the public on the state's waters.
(d) For the purposes of this section, the scope of the hearing shall be limited to:
(1) A review of the court abstract;
(2) Whether the individual has been boating to endanger the public; and
(3) Whether the individual is the named person on the court abstract or complaint.

Finally, the State of New Hampshire cannot revoke an out of State certificate, just as it cannot revoke any other license or registration given by another State. However, just as it does under the motor vehicle code, the State can and does revoke the right to operate (in New Hampshire) any privilege granted by the out of State certificate/license or registration for cause.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:21 AM   #19
SIKSUKR

I don't know what ax a certain member has to grind with Skip but he continues to make it less sharp with each barb that he pokes his way.Your not helping your cause.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #20
Lakepilot

License or certificate who cares. What is the difference to the people of the lakes region? Whatever it is, you now need one. Why does Skip have to spend time responding to inane points? Why do we have to spend time reading them?
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #21
Merrymeeting

One point you should investigate before deciding where to register your trailer...

It is my understanding that the trailer should be registered in the same state as your tow vehicle since the auto insurance will cover your trailer and boat when you are pulling it, not your boat insurance.

So, in my case, even though the boat and trailer have never left NH in 8 years, the trailer is registered in MA each year.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #22
Skip

Smile My apologies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
License or certificate who cares. What is the difference to the people of the lakes region? Whatever it is, you now need one. Why does Skip have to spend time responding to inane points? Why do we have to spend time reading them?
I offer my apologies if some folks may feel my attention to detail is over the top. I only contribute what I feel is correct and necessary information and try to nip ambiguity and rumor in the bud when possible.

Back to the original question and intent of this thread:

You can indeed register your boat at any NH DMV substation, NHMP HQ in Gilford, at any town clerk that has access and at a number of local business establishments.

I checked both the NHDMV & NHMP website for verification then I called both NHMP HQ and NHDMV this morning and had that information verified at both locations.

If the trip to any of these locations is any distance, I was advised it is always best to call ahead first to make sure the desired location has not run of stickers.

Hope this clears up any lingering confusion....

Skip
Old 12-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #23
Kamper

Quote:
I offer my apologies if some folks may feel my attention to detail is over the top. ...
Even though I have occassionaly been a subject of your "corrections" I'd have to say there's nothing the matter with getting the facts straight. When somebody claims you are in error it's not unreasonable to cite your sources.

I agree that somebody else's attention to detail can be anoying sometimes but a person who cant' take some annoyance should not be playing on the 'net.

What's worse than annoying is thread-jacking. Since this thread is not about Safety Certificates maybe we should let that subject die. Anyone who needs more info on them should do a search or start another thread.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #24
Seeker

Should you plan on registering at a town hall I would advise calling them first. My town hall has full access and does full auto/vehicle registrations but does not do boats because "it takes too much time".
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #25
waukewanderer

Quote:

ITD posted that "you need a boat license to boat in NH now". I have had a USPS boating certificate since 2000, but I don't have a NH boat license. Not being a full time resident of NH, I thought maybe I missed the passage of a new law that concerned me and every other boater in the Lakes Region, and I wanted more information so I could comply.

I'm relieved to know that I don't need to apply for a new boating license in addition to my boating safety certificate.

Thanks to those who took the time to check the facts, and post the correct information.

Last edited by waukewanderer; 12-30-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #26
ITD

Quote:
ITD posted that "you need a boat license to boat in NH now". I have had a USPS boating certificate since 2000, but I don't have a NH boat license. Not being a full time resident of NH, I thought maybe I missed the passage of a new law that concerned me and every other boater in the Lakes Region, and I wanted more information so I could comply.

I'm relieved to know that I don't need to apply for a new boating license in addition to my boating safety certificate.

Thanks to those who took the time to check the facts, and post the correct information.
USPS United States Postal Service?????? Never mind, just kidding. I know, I know, power squadron.

It will always be a license to me since I need to carry it with me when I take my boat out and it looks like a license, so from henceforth I declare that when I say boat license you will know what I mean. If confused please refer back to this post. (Besides, these guys call it a boating license here: http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/index.htm fine print: Online boating license and certification course last modified: June 5, 2008) If they use both terms why can't I?

We need more snow.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #27
waukewanderer

Quote:
If confused please refer back to this post. (Besides, these guys call it a boating license here: http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/index.htm fine print: Online boating license and certification course last modified: June 5, 2008) If they use both terms why can't I?
I'm not confused.

("Online boating license and certification course last modified: June 5, 2008") refers to the website management of all of the 50 states served on that site.

Alabama is the only state that specifically requires a boating license:

Alabama Boating Safety Course and Boat License Exam
Welcome to the official boating safety course developed for the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. This safe boating course lets you get your Alabama boating license online so that you can comply with Alabama boater license law.

Your Alabama boater safety certification will appear as a "V" class placed on your automobile driver's license. Or, if you do not have an automobile driver's license, you will be issued a "Vessel Only" license.

NH requires a Boating Safety Certificate:

New Hampshire Boating Safety Course and Exam
Welcome to the official boating safety course developed for the New Hampshire Department of Safety. By passing the online exam, you will be well-prepared to pass the proctored final exam that is required to fulfill your obligation under the law.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #28
Airwaves

As is true with many in Skip's profession when trying to make a point he did not complete my sentance as written, he left out:
Quote:
...especially if it was not issued in NH to begin with!
So Skip did not point out the key word in his posting:
Quote:
RSA 270-D:13 (II) clearly gives authority to the State to revoke its issued certificate
Anyone see it? ITS
Quote:
ITS issued certificate!
Certificates issued by NASBLA states or the USCGAUX or USPS can be revoked by NH? Not a prayer however, as I stated the priviledge to boat in NH can be recinded.

And just to remind those of you who have forgotten. An associate of mine who passed a Boatwise NASBLA course was told by the NH Marine Patrol that his CERTIFICATE was not valid in NH, so he went to Belmont and took a proctored exam. He was then told by the examination officer, a NH Marine Patrol officer, that his NASBLA approved Boatwise CERTIFICATE would certainly be accepted in NH. So the bottom line is the officers enforcing the law don't know the law!

Next time I boat in Alabama I will check with Skip to see if I have a boating license...because I don't, but I'll use Skip's name to prove I do! For those of you that don't understand the difference...too bad.

Waukewanderer be prepared to be flamed for daring to contradict the almighty Skip. Don't forget to bow your head when you think the name.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #29
ApS

Cool Registrations-In-the-Red, and "The Thin Blue Line"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker
Should you plan on registering at a town hall I would advise calling them first. My town hall has full access and does full auto/vehicle registrations but does not do boats because "it takes too much time".
The original poster doesn't list his town: Wolfeboro has steadily been losing the places where a weekend registration can be sought. Is it at zero now?

My BIL goes to Melvin Village Marine.

Raising the amount marinas receive for their time spent in recording registrations should fix that problem, which is the subject of another thread here. Five years ago, I'd mentioned that necessity here—which included the doubling of boats' registration fees—then doubling them again.

Quote:
"...So the bottom line is the officers enforcing the law don't know the law...!"
My professional—and occasionally intense—associations with this legal system has demonstrated that our system of Jurisprudence has put an extremely heavy burden on the individual law enforcement officer.

In addition to requiring expertise in an ever-changing legal environment (if or when warrants are required, and when other interpretations of The Founders' collective genius are affected), the officer must excel in "First-Responder" skills such as CPR.

Too often, he becomes the target and defendant in a civil lawsuit in either case.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #30
jeffk

Default Poor writing

Your exact statement:

Quote:
While your boating privilege may be rescinded in NH for violating the law, NH can not rescind your certificate of accomplishment of passing a safe boating class especially if it was not issued in NH to begin with!
It is surprising to me that a person who is associated with media presents their information so sloppily.

Your statement as written is a blanket denial of the ability of the state of NH to revoke any boating certificate. The statement is then modified by the word "especially" to imply special protection of certificates issued out of state.

In his response Skip clearly documents the ability of the state to rescind certificates issued in NH, thereby demonstrating the first part of your statement in error.

Skip then concludes his post by saying that, indeed, certificates issued by out of state agencies may not be revoked but their acceptance in NH can be rescinded. In essence you will still retain your out of state certificate but it will hold no value in the state of NH. You would be able to boat in Maine but not in NH.

Skip's statement is more accurate and contains more referenced facts than yours.

While the technical process of dealing with in and out of state certificates is different the outcome is the same; you would not be allowed to use your boat in NH.

I suppose that accurately depicting what others say is not a prerequisite for those with a predetermined agenda. Is this how the media works?

Is it also a characteristic of those in media to "need to be right" and to belittle and attack people (and their professions) who point out their mistakes rather than admitting their mistakes and moving on?

Just wondering?
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #31
Lakepilot

Skip,
\
I should have been more clear, but I was trying to be tactful. I won't. The criticism was directed to Airwaves not at you.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #32
Skip

Smile

Quote:
Skip,
\
I should have been more clear, but I was trying to be tactful. I won't. The criticism was directed to Airwaves not at you.
Thanks LP.....and Happy New Year!

And as always, thanks to you Jeff.....you're becoming our resident "Doctor Spock" here....extreme logic!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #33
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
...you're becoming our resident "Doctor Spock" here....extreme logic!
I think you meant Mr. Spock, Dr. Spock is the baby doctor. (How often do you get to correct Skip? )

Happy New Year to Skip and everyone who visits this site during the year!

Don the Webmaster/Trekkie
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #34
This'nThat

Default Also call your Marina first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
While you can register at your local Marina, call them first to ensure they have the registration sticker in hand. Some marinas don't get them until March or April.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #35
This'nThat

Default Not human?

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I think you meant Mr. Spock.
Are you suggesting that Jeff might ... not ... be ... human?!

A suspicion long harbored by many, but at last confirmed by the WebMaster.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #36
trfour

Default As Most Of Us Seniors Out Here Can Attest...

Skip is not one to wade in on a subject without having his brain at least 90% engaged.

Happy New Year to all.

PS come to think of it, 4% could be very painful for some early on New Years Day!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #37
wifi

Live long and prosper....
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #38
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
Are you suggesting that Jeff might ... not ... be ... human?!

A suspicion long harbored by many, but at last confirmed by the WebMaster.
Better pointed ears than dirty diapers.

Happy New Years all.

Beaming up now.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #39
Ropetow

Default doctor on the ship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I think you meant Mr. Spock, Dr. Spock is the baby doctor. (How often do you get to correct Skip? )

Happy New Year to Skip and everyone who visits this site during the year!

Don the Webmaster/Trekkie
Not really a Trekkie, but wasn't McCoy the doctor?
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #40
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Thanks Skip

As a long time reader (and occasional poster) on the Forum I appreciate the wisdom and reason that is always contained in Skip's posts. I know him only from the Forum, but I do appreciate the factual information he consistently posts. As we all have seen, many posters run a little wild with the facts but Skip's information is always very helpful and often very informative too.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #41
Mee-n-Mac

Default Spock

Quote:
Thanks LP.....and Happy New Year!

And as always, thanks to you Jeff.....you're becoming our resident "Doctor Spock" here....extreme logic!
So you're saying jeff ought to change his avatar ....
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2009, 02:49 AM   #42
jeffk

Fascinating.

Live long and prosper.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 AM   #43
TomC

Default better likeness

the "alternate universe" Spock:
Attached Images

TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #44
kjbathe

Smile Thanks, Skip

Quote:
As is true with many in Skip's profession when trying to make a point...

Waukewanderer be prepared to be flamed for daring to contradict the almighty Skip. Don't forget to bow your head when you think the name.
Skip - I don't know what you did to get under the skin of HotAirwaves, but I wanted to thank you for your posts. I was also scratching my head about the only DMV presence being in Concord. I'm pretty sure all those other DMV locations aren't empty buildings.

HotAirwaves - Didn't I read a while back that you were no longer going to post to the forum? What ever happened to that plan?
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #45
OCDACTIVE

hey.. easy question.. I know what the reg. cost are.. However in another thread I read something about boat fees? what is this?

Also, I have my first boat (well under my name) this year and will also be reg it in the state of NH. I am a NH resident as well...

Is there excise taxes, extra boat fees etc for having a boat in NH? outside of the normal registration?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #46
jeffk

Default Nuts and bolts

When you register your boat there are 2 main costs called out on the form; boat fee and registration fee.

The boat fee is based on the type and age of your boat and declines as your boat gets older for 5 years then remains the same. Minimum $10.

Here's a pointer to the fee schedule (not sure if it's current)
Boat fee

For the typical 20 odd foot cruiser on the lake it starts around $200 - $300 and declines to around $20 when the boat is 5 years old.

The registration fee is based on the length of your boat.

--- Up to and including 16 feet -------------------------- $12.00
--- 16.1 to 21 feet ------------------------------------------ $17.00
--- 21.1 to 30 feet ----------------------------------------- $26.00
--- 30.1 to 45 feet ----------------------------------------- $36.00
--- 45.1 feet and over ------------------------------------- $46.00

Additional costs in the registration fee totalcurrent?)
--- $5.00 fee per registration for the milfoil prevention fund
--- $1.50 fee per registration for the lake restoration and preservation fund
--- $1.00 fee per registration for the search and rescue fund
--- $5.00 fee per registration for the statewide public boat access fund

We are also charged an agent fee for each registration.

Further the boat fee portion, if paid to a town agent, stays with the town. If you mail it in to the state, the state keeps the fee. The registration fee portion goes to the state.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #47
John A. Birdsall

It will always be a license to me since I need to carry it with me when I take my boat out and it looks like a license, so from henceforth I declare that when I say boat license you will know what I mean.

Just to throw a little more info. The Marine Patrol when he stops you wants to see your Boating Certificate and your Drivers license, and I am under the understanding that violations will go on your drivers license. So behave out there speeding will add points to your cost of insurance
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #48
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
It will always be a license to me since I need to carry it with me when I take my boat out and it looks like a license, so from henceforth I declare that when I say boat license you will know what I mean.

Just to throw a little more info. The Marine Patrol when he stops you wants to see your Boating Certificate and your Drivers license, and I am under the understanding that violations will go on your drivers license. So behave out there speeding will add points to your cost of insurance
Will any other infraction now go against your Motor Vech. report as well?

I think this part will really flood the courts because everyone will be fighting them.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #49
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote:
I am under the understanding that violations will go on your drivers license. So behave out there speeding will add points to your cost of insurance
Are you certain of that?? The reason I ask is I was just ticketed for speeding on my snowmobile and was informed by the Fish & Game officer that this does NOT go against your license whatsoever as it is considered a Fish & Game offense. However if you fail to pay the ticket it will in fact affect your license. DUI on a snowmobile will definitely go on your drivers license the officer told me. I realize a boat may be different, but just want to make sure.

FWIW;

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #50
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Are you certain of that?? The reason I ask is I was just ticketed for speeding on my snowmobile and was informed by the Fish & Game officer that this does NOT go against your license whatsoever as it is considered a Fish & Game offense. However if you fail to pay the ticket it will in fact affect your license. DUI on a snowmobile will definitely go on your drivers license the officer told me. I realize a boat may be different, but just want to make sure.

FWIW;

Dan
Yup.. i read it as well.... That was one of the biggest sticking points for the MP and the financial costs of having to fight them.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #51
Skip

Post Boating violtions and the NH DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Will any other infraction now go against your Motor Vech. report as well?

I think this part will really flood the courts because everyone will be fighting them.

While a speeding conviction on Lake Winnipesaukee will be reported to NH DMV, the RSA as ammended by last year's legislature also states that any violation regarding RSA 270-D:2 (General Rules For Vessels Operating on Water) will also be reported to NH DMV, regardless of what body of water you are on!

You can read the applicable RSA HERE and pay particular attention to the last sub paragraph, XI.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #52
OCDACTIVE

So if I am reading this right everything from the limits to the 150 ft rule will go on your driving record??? I am not trying to start any major arguement here but that is going to Flood the courts with people concerning the smallest infraction. While driving a car most all infractions have the ability to be monitored and are not as much up for interpretation. For example the 150 foot rule will be very difficult to prove in court because where is the evidence. I am not touching that which we shall not discuss, but this is going to cost the state more then it will earn from the violations. Just my opinion.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #53
Pineedles

Default Ignorance of the law

We are a nation of laws. We've got too many though now. No liquor on Sunday. No speeding on Winnipesaukee. No seatbelt on? Your breakin the law! Too many GD laws!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #54
trfour

Default Too Little Too Late?....

Quote:
We are a nation of laws. We've got too many though now. No liquor on Sunday. No speeding on Winnipesaukee. No seatbelt on? Your breakin the law! Too many GD laws!
One Bad Apple Goes And Multiplies Realistically how to take a more realistic view of any loss of ( Live Free Or Die ). Wake Up People. The only way that we can change things as they are, is to get behind our New President and PUSH! There are many more Critical things on our plate and planet that need our attention!!

As an Army Veteran OF The United States, I ask of you to help.
Love, Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #55
SIKSUKR

Quote:
I agree but what do you mean no liquor on Sunday?Is that in Conn.?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #56
Pineedles

Default No Booze on Sunday

Yes, Connecticut is one of only 2 states that prohibit Sunday alcohol store sales. Our wonderful state gov't is debating the issue right now. I guess that's what brought it to mind. The idiots want to keep a ban on store alcohol sales on Sunday, but are considering allowing bar alcohol sales 24 hours a day at the casinos.

I get angry when I see Skip's signature "Ignorance of the Law is no excuse" when I see folks posting who don't understand the law and are expected to obey it. That's why I say there are too many laws already. Freakin country has too many lawyers already and the more laws we add the more lawyers. And We the People keep electing lawyers to office, who keep writing more laws. ARRRRRGGHHH! Brain is exploding.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #57
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
And We the People keep electing lawyers to office, who keep writing more laws. ARRRRRGGHHH! Brain is exploding.
I feel your pain!
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #58
sa meredith

Default We should...

Yeah....Here's what we should do:
Buy liquor in Conn. on a Sunday, drive to NH with no seat belt on, and then speed across lake Winni at 60MPH, while drinking the liquor (which, of course, was purchased, in Conn., on a Sunday). That'll show 'em!

(a littled bored at work, and felt like posting something...this was the best I could come up with)
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #59
Pineedles

Default My day going great

sa, the way I feel today I might do that! Idiots at work are driving me crazy and I just might pull that bottle of scotch out of my desk and take a slug or two or ten.

One clarification before everyone jumps down my throat. I was not criticizing Skip's signature, it is a common saying and therefore I have no problem with him posting it as his signature. What bugs me is that it is TRUE.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #60
Lakewinn1

Post Boar Registration in HN - 1ST tIME

Is there anything new on the proposed (pending legislation) for upping Boat Rgistration Fees this year?
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #61
steadyon

Here is the latest
Amendment to HB 205-FN-A

Proposed by the Committee on Resources, Recreation and Development - R

Amend the bill by replacing section 2 with the following:

*2 Lake Restoration and Preservation Fee. Amend RSA 270-E:5, II(a) to read as follows:

(a) [$5] $7.50 for each registration specified in paragraph I. The fees collected under this subparagraph shall be paid into the lake restoration and preservation fund established under RSA 487:25.

Amend the bill by replacing all after section 4 with the following:

*5 Commercial Vessels; Penalty and License Fees. Amend RSA 270-E:22 and RSA 270-E:23 to read as follows:

270-E:22 Commercial Vessels; Penalty.

I. Any person who shall use any commercial vessel or commercial outboard motor on any public waters in this state without a certificate of inspection, or shall act as captain, master, pilot, engineer or operator on any such boat or launch without having passed an examination administered by the department and having been [examined and] certified by the department in that capacity, or shall so act when his or her certificate has been revoked or suspended, or who shall violate any rule adopted by the department with reference to the inspection, equipment, or operation of such vessels or launches, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor if a natural person, or guilty of a felony if any other person.

II. The commissioner, after hearing, may revoke or suspend the certificate of any captain, master, pilot, or engineer of any commercial vessel for violation of RSA 270 or the rules and regulations prescribed thereunder.

III. All licenses to operate a commercial vessel shall expire [the second December 31 following] 5 years from the date of issuance.

IV. A person who possesses a valid license issued by the federal government shall be deemed to comply with this section.

270-E:23 License Fees. There shall be paid to the commissioner for every [general] certificate of captain, master, pilot, or engineer, [$4] $15[; and for every limited certificate of captain, master, pilot, or engineer, $2]. A [general] certificate shall entitle the holder thereof to act in the capacity named on any vessel of the class described in the certificate[; a limited certificate shall entitle the holder to act in such capacity only on a particular vessel named in the certificate]. Only one certificate shall be required to entitle the holder thereof to act in any or all of the above capacities on any motorized vessel permitted to carry a maximum of 25 persons. If a person fails the examination required by RSA 270-E:22, I, the person may retake the examination for a fee of $10 paid to the commissioner. The fees paid for re-examinations and for certificates issued under this section shall be deposited in the navigation safety fund established under RSA 270-E:6-a.

*6 Addition to Boat Fee. Amend RSA 487:25, I to read as follows:

I. The fee of [$5] $7.50 collected under the provisions of RSA 270-E:5, II(a) shall be paid to the director of the division of motor vehicles. The director of the division of motor vehicles shall pay over said fee to the state treasurer who shall keep the fee in a special fund to be expended by the department of environmental services. The department shall use $.50 of the fee for lake restoration and preservation measures, exclusive of exotic aquatic weed control, [$1.50] $3 of the fee for the control of exotic aquatic weeds, and [$3] $4 of the fee for the milfoil and other exotic aquatic plants prevention program. The department shall deposit the [$3] $4 into a special account within the lake restoration and preservation fund which shall be used to administer the milfoil and other exotic aquatic plants prevention program. The special fund shall be nonlapsing. All funds received under this section are continually appropriated to the department for the purposes of this subdivision.

*7 Registration Fees. RSA 270-E:5, I is repealed and reenacted to read as follows:

I. The registration fees for commercial, private, and pleasure vessels, including rentals and airboats shall be as follows:

(a) Up to and including 16 feet $12

(b) 16.1 feet to 21 feet $17

(c) 21.1 feet to 30 feet $26

(d) 30.1 feet to 45 feet $36

(e) 45.1 feet and over $46

*8 Effective Date.

I. Section 7 of this act shall take effect July 1, 2015.

II. The remainder of this act shall take effect 60 days after its passage.
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #62
Wolfeboro_Baja

Referring to steadyon's post of the text of HB-205, I don't see anything in that bill text to indicate an increase in boat registration fees.

Here's a link to the bill text at the NH General Court's website; I presume it is the most recent version of the bill but I can't be sure. This link does show boat registration fee increases plus it lists the effective date as 60 days after passage for the entire bill (whereas the text provided by steadyon indicates some portions are effective 7/1/2015 and the remainder is effective 60 days after passage).

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legi...09/HB0205.html
Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #63
steadyon

Hi,
the section that I posted is the amendment to the bill.
I did not post the bill and the amendment, the rest of the text is as introduced which is the link that you had posted.
hope this makes sense.
thanks
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #64
Wolfeboro_Baja

Yes, it does; thanks steadyon!! I was going to post an "Oops, my bad" earlier this morning but didn't get a chance to until now.

I guess that's what I get for presuming the General Court's website was up-to-date with amendments to bills!!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #65
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
... The Marine Patrol when he stops you wants to see your Boating Certificate and your Drivers license, ...
Does NH require a drivers license to operate a boat? If not then he can't ask for it.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:54 AM   #66
Skip

Post Means of identification to be produced

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Does NH require a drivers license to operate a boat? If not then he can't ask for it.
As we have discussed previously, it is always wise to carry a legal secondary form of identification when boating in New Hampshire. By law, any law enforcement officer has the right to have you produce a driver's license or other legal form of identification to ensure the person(s) he has articulable reason to be in temporary custody is indeed the person claimed.

From RSA 270:12-b Disobeying an Officer:

...(c) Knowingly refuse, on demand of a peace officer or agent of the director, to produce some means of positive identification such as a driver's license, passport, or other document, or to verify his identity by some other means so that the identity of the operator or person otherwise in charge of a vessel can be determined with reasonable certainty by such peace officer or agent of the director...

Accordingly if you can't prove who you are and the officer can articulate that he has reasonable belief that you are being deceptive, then that officer can take you into custody until your actual identity can be established. And if you have been deceptive or evasive the offense is a misdemeanor.

You can read the entire text of RSA 270:12-b HERE.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:19 AM   #67
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Accordingly if you can't prove who you are and the officer can articulate that he has reasonable belief that you are being deceptive, then that officer can take you into custody until your actual identity can be established. And if you have been deceptive or evasive the offense is a misdemeanor.
I read the text and am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that if you produce your boaters certificate, do not act invasive and show your face, the officer has all he legally is entitled to. Your face is on file at the state where you got your license, and most likely with DHS. They can transmit your mug shot to the officer if he really needs the ID. If they don't have the technology on board, they have to do with that they got. I, for one, am NOT carrying my drivers license on my boat. I've seen a wallet go into the drink before and you know the saying... "fool me once, won't get fooled again".
Old 03-05-2009, 07:49 AM   #68
fatlazyless

Here's a dopey question for someone who knows the answer. I've lost my wallet-sized NH boater license, but do have the 8 1/2 x 11", NH boater education certifcate that shows that I passed the course with a great big score of 98, (wow!), and I keep in it a glass and wood picture frame screwed to the inside of a large door on my boat. I figure, that if stopped. I just open the door and point to the framed certificate and totally astonish the MP that I got a 98, especially after violating the east-west-north-south, spar marker passage rule, or something.

But Officer.....this sailboat is only 11' 11 3/4" in length, and the rudder does not get added into the measurement, so....therefore...it does not require a registration......& thanks very much for stopping me!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #69
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
I read the text and am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that if you produce your boaters certificate, do not act invasive and show your face, the officer has all he legally is entitled to. Your face is on file at the state where you got your license, and most likely with DHS. They can transmit your mug shot to the officer if he really needs the ID. If they don't have the technology on board, they have to do with that they got. I, for one, am NOT carrying my drivers license on my boat. I've seen a wallet go into the drink before and you know the saying... "fool me once, won't get fooled again".
Good points....and things always go a lot smoother if everyone (the operator & the officer) cooperates during a stop.

Couple of points.

The law is clear (RSA 270:12-b) and if the officer asks for a positive means of identification you must produce it to comply.

Now in the real world there would be many circumstances where the officer may be completely satisfied with a glance at your boater license, or feel comfortable after a series of questions that you have established your identity to him/her. There are many ways an experienced officer can determine your identity on scene if you are being cooperative. And the key word here is coperative.

That said, be prepared to produce your driver's license or have that information available if you are going to get a summons.

Why?

Because if you are speeding on Lake Winnipesukee, or if you commit a violation of any of the general boating requirement contained under RSA 270: D-2 while on Winni or any other body of water in New Hampshire the offense will be reported back to NHDMV. In order for the information to be recorded accurately the officer will need to obtain key information (including driver license number) to be recorded on the summons itself.

Also, there is no ability to transmit photos to most NH law enforcement officials real time in the field. It's coming, but it is still a long way off. Officer's do have the ability, via radio or phone, to verify information like height, weight, hair color and partial social security number information with a cooperative individual.

Given the example in your post, a cooperative individual can usually supply the officer with enough information, under normal circumstances, to satisfy the State's legal requirment.

Once again, it all hinges on the circumstance of the stop and the demeanor of the individual being stopped.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #70
RI Swamp Yankee

Good points Skip. What happens if someone doesn't have a drivers license? I have known people that just never got one!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #71
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Good points Skip. What happens if someone doesn't have a drivers license? I have known people that just never got one!

The law provides for other means of identification besides a license.

Remember, it is a discretionary call on the part of the officer as to what he needs to reasonably verify your identity. The RSAs give him substantial latitude in determining what he needs as proof.

And again, it usually ends up going to a person's demeanor as to how far the search for identity will go. Being combative or argumentative will most likely mean you receive the most scrutiny. If you feel you are being wronged, then save it for an appropriately filed complaint to the officer's superiors or for your case in court.

Honestly, most officers out there are just doing their job, and will be as brief and unobtrusive with you as they possibly can. After the stop you have plenty of time and a multitude of options to pursue, if you feel that is necessary.

But the time to argue the case is not during the stop.....
Old 03-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #72
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
but do have the 8 1/2 x 11", NH boater education certifcate that shows that I passed the course with a great big score of 98, (wow!), and I keep in it a glass and wood picture frame screwed to the inside of a large door on my boat. I figure, that if stopped. I just open the door and point to the framed certificate and totally astonish the MP that I got a 98, especially after violating the east-west-north-south, spar marker passage rule, or something.
That's fine for your sailboat FLL but what about for your 9 other boats?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #73
Treerider

Default Boat Reg

Register in Maine, much less painful than NH
Treerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #74
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treerider View Post
Register in Maine, much less painful than NH
That works only if you are going to be boating in NH 30 consecutive days or less. Or if you are willing to do it illegally after that time period. How would they know?? You could always claim "I just started boating here last week".
Old 04-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #75
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
How would they know?? You could always claim "I just started boating here last week".
Same way the folks who live in northern MA and register their cars in NH get bagged....Someone drops a dime on them!
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #76
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
That works only if you are going to be boating in NH 30 consecutive days or less. Or if you are willing to do it illegally after that time period. How would they know?? You could always claim "I just started boating here last week".
I find this provision rather comical because there really is no way to 'prove' it in that most states just indicate that the boat needs to be registered where it is primarily used but as you say any excuse pretty much works if you choose to be an 'outlaw'. Either way it's pretty easy to bend if you so desire.

So I'm curious as to what the fee paid for the 'Lake Restoration and Preservation" are used for.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #77
jrc

I think you could get away with the ME registration if you trailer your boat. It's not hard to believe that a trailer boat is used a few different places, or brought home during the week.

It would be really tough if you keep your boat at a marina or your own dock. The MP is not going to believe that you own/rent a house/dock/mooring but you just started boating here last week.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #78
OCDACTIVE

just reg. mine for the first time today.... only $68 total... nothing bad at all... What is funny is I have to jump through hoops to get the trailer registared and will cost more then the boat.. Totally didn't see that coming.. what a pain in the a$$!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #79
lakershaker

Default Anyone notice a slow response from the state?

I sent my registration and check back to the state a few weeks ago, but still haven't received my stickers in the mail yet. Has anyone else noticed a long delay this year? I want to go out to the island this weekend, but it would be nice to actually have the stickers first...
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #80
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
I sent my registration and check back to the state a few weeks ago, but still haven't received my stickers in the mail yet. Has anyone else noticed a long delay this year? I want to go out to the island this weekend, but it would be nice to actually have the stickers first...
I sent our boat registration renewals in last December and I think the stickers arrived in about 10 days. Sounds like it's taking much longer now.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #81
jeffk

My guess is that anything requiring state processing will be slow because of the budget crunch. Less people to work and also to "make a point" (see how tough things are!). I'm sure state worker morale is on the low side as well.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #82
Seeker

Why not just take them to a local marina or some town clerks do it. At least it's quick and some money stays local.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #83
Shedwannabe

Quote:
The law provides for other means of identification besides a license.

Remember, it is a discretionary call on the part of the officer as to what he needs to reasonably verify your identity. The RSAs give him substantial latitude in determining what he needs as proof.

And again, it usually ends up going to a person's demeanor as to how far the search for identity will go.

Now this is on the land...but I was stopped for speeding in Sanbornton recently...which is VERY RARE for me, cause I'm usually THE slowest driver on the road (but the cop don't know that) and I hadn't brought my wallet with me, so he asked me for my license and I said "I don't have it with me" - he looked at my registration, checked it out, and said "Keep your speed down next time. Have a good day"

Perhaps I am more famous than I thought...I didn't know the officer, but maybe he knew me.....

Actually, I think it was because my wife was in the car - she has NEVER been given a speeding ticket despite having been stopped way more times than I ever have. I guess her good speeding karma rubbed off on me that day.
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #84
kchace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
I sent mine in 3 weeks ago and received them back in about a week or so - which seems to be about usual.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #85
lakershaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
I sent mine in 3 weeks ago and received them back in about a week or so - which seems to be about usual.

Ken
Thanks - guess I'll just have to wait. More incentive to send them in earlier next time!
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote