Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
MMGTG

Default How Big Can You Go?

New to the area with a number of friends who live on the lake. Looking to purchase a large yacht for possibly living aboard at one of the marina's on Lake Winni.

My question is what is the possibility of launching a yacht in the 80' range (Like a Hatteras for example)? How many marina's (if any) can house a yacht of that size?

Do all marina's allow yacht owners to overnight on their yachts?

Do any of the boat yards have the ability to store and winterize a yacht of that size?

We do a lot of traveling an open ocean yachting as well. So it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy property on the lake. Seems like a good alternative. All responses and insight are much appreciated.
MMGTG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MMGTG For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I think 80' is pretty big for this lake. We have a 40' Sea Ray and we have to take it over to Irwin's in Laconia as they are the only ones who have a big enough lift on the lake to take it out. (Unless things have changed.) We are on the East side of the lake.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Woodsy

I will assume you are not trolling....

There are few 50' yachts, not much bigger. I don't know of any marina that can accommodate an 80 footer.... that's HUGE for a lake this size. you will not be able to take it anywhere as docking will be a huge issue. Transport back & forth from the lake to the ocean will also be a HUGE expense, if its doable at all.

Woodsy
Old 07-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

There are few 50' yachts, not much bigger. I don't know of any marina that can accommodate an 80 footer.... that's HUGE for a lake this size. you will not be able to take it anywhere as docking will be a huge issue. Transport back & forth from the lake to the ocean will also be a HUGE expense, if its doable at all.

Woodsy
not for anything, but if talking about a 80 foot hatteras I do not think money is a problem, not that it is any of my business. Hey if it fits bring it, might be difficult getting it under the weirs bridge if have to go to Irwin, I am sure there might be someone willing to accomedate
Old 07-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
brk-lnt

I will very politely offer that you will look like a ridiculous ostentatious fool if you launch an 80' boat on Winnipesaukee.

There might be one or two places that could accommodate you, but you'll be almost entirely immobile. For your money you'd be better off with a smaller boat and maybe an island cottage/house or something like that.
Reilly (08-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
MMGTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

Woodsy
Thanks for the benefit of the doubt!

This purchase would be for the lake only. There would be no back and forth transport. Also in the process of purchasing a separate ocean going yacht.

This really is only serving our needs in terms of comfort and size vs owning a house on the lake. The tenders would serve our needs for docking and going ashore.

Basically I'm trying to put the largest boat in the water possible that can be taken out and stored for the winter. It doesn't have to be "that reasonable." It just needs to be possible.

If it can't be done, I'm not trying to move mountains (or bridges) to make it happen. 60' is the smallest I could think of going, and I'm not overly anxious to try to have a family of 5 live in such cramped quarters for several weeks at a time.

Thanks so much for the quick responses! Really appreciate any insight!
The Following User Says Thank You to MMGTG For This Useful Post:
8gv (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
ITD

An 80 foot Hatteras has a 21 foot 1 inch beam, a 5 foot 8 inch draft, 21feet 3 inches above the water and displaces 190,000 pounds aside from being almost 80 feet long.

This sounds like a brilliant idea, maybe the Mount will allow you to share berths...... it's against the law to anchor overnight on the lake.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
tis

You could always bubble it in the winter and keep it in. I still think you will have a tough time getting it in the lake, unless it goes in in pieces. It will probably cost a lot to register it too but probably not as much as property taxes. Interesting concept.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Water Camper

Default There are some large boats

There are several 50 plus foot boat's on the lake, I believe the Manitu is 51'.

Also the Doris E is 68', the Sophie C is 74' and the Mount Washington is 230'.

So we do have some good sized boats on the lake, although most of us couldn't even afford the slip fees.

Just sayin,

Thanks,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
birchhaven

Why a hatteras if you are trying to use it live aboard? Why not consider a large house boat like you would see on lakes out west? They seem to have tons of real livings space, I would argue they are more efficient living space per linear foot, than a traditional boat like a hatteras. So you could get a 60' house boat and actually have more space than a 80' hatteras. Also at 60' I would not worry about waves even tho it is a house boat.
I have always wondered why there are not any big ones on this lake like you see out west.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
MikeF-NH

not trying to sell you on anything but I would think that if I had the money for an 80 foot yacht on Winni and another yacht on the ocean, and I was concerned about cramping a family of 5, I would consider a roomy house on an island or the mainlain (with island living being less expensive but also less convenient). then purchase one large boat for family recreation and a smaller runabout style boat for "running errands".

The hassles associated with boat living (particularly dealing with gray and black water) would just turn me away from this as well as living in a marina with people walking all around me at all hours. Note that marinas can also get busy very early in the morning as fishermen launch to get out for salmon at 5AM. At least in a house, you would have privacy and some peace.

That said, you seem determined for the 80 footer. I'm sure it will be a character building experience for you. Your second issue may be trying to sell it....what was the saying "The two happiest days of my life were - the day I bought it and the day I sold it".
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
MMGTG

Wow. Thanks for all the great comments. I hear all the pros and cons. Heck just getting it there might be crazy. Not saying no to a house boat either and I did recently see some show on discovery that showed some amazing new options for these. Certainly worth a look.

I do have a slip picked out for the Hatteras so docking is no problem. Everything else is the issue.

I hear the argument for the mainland options. Its just not the way we want to go. The boat can be moved house cannot...

Certainly interested in entertaining any other great ideas for living aboard! Thanks again for the warm welcome and varied responses from all!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
jrc

If you are serious, I would call Silver Sands.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
RTTOOL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGTG View Post
Wow. Thanks for all the great comments. I hear all the pros and cons. Heck just getting it there might be crazy. Not saying no to a house boat either and I did recently see some show on discovery that showed some amazing new options for these. Certainly worth a look.

I do have a slip picked out for the Hatteras so docking is no problem. Everything else is the issue.

I hear the argument for the mainland options. Its just not the way we want to go. The boat can be moved house cannot...

Certainly interested in entertaining any other great ideas for living aboard! Thanks again for the warm welcome and varied responses from all!
IF you get it here i like to captain it for you..to show you the lake at no charge.. RT..
RTTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
brk-lnt

Quote:
The boat can be moved house cannot...
I think you're vastly over-estimating just how many practical locations you could move to.

You can't anchor overnight anywhere on the lake.
You can't overnight on a mooring.
None of the town docks allow overnight docking, or for the most part docking for more than a few hours.
There are a limited number of marinas that could accommodate something that large.
Due to the general nature of the lake, none of the marinas are really setup for a typical "transient" slip rental by the week (to my knowledge).

It seems to me like you've formed a flawed plan (no offense) and are hell bent on trying to make it work. You'll also find selling a vessel that size will be nearly impossible, so I hope you plan to keep it for a very long time, or also pay to have it removed when you go to sell it.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I think that you're overshooting the practical maximum size by about 30'. Heck, you might even be better off just renting a house each season for the foreseeable future. You could experience many different locations that way, and my guess is it would take 12+ years before the cost of renting overtook the cost of purchasing, moving, and docking an 80' boat.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
Happy Gourmand

I have just one question....

Can I drive it?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
MMGTG (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
NoBozo

What Amazes me is how many people here actually believe this guy. Do any of you have any idea how much an 80' Hatteras costs..?? I don't know but will guess 7-10 Million. Anyone with the capability to buy something like that.... has more sence than to do something like he is suggesting.

OH WAIT: This must be Justin Beiber.. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
jetlag100 (07-24-2013), wifi (02-02-2014)
Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
What Amazes me is how many people here actually believe this guy. Do any of you have any idea how much an 80' Hatteras costs..?? I don't know but will guess 7-10 Million. Anyone with the capability to buy something like that.... has more sence than to do something like he is suggesting.

OH WAIT: This must be Justin Beiber.. NB
You can get a used sportdeck from the 90's in the 70' range for under $1Mil.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
ITD

It holds almost 3,000 gallons of diesel, that's probably as large as most marina's storage tanks. You wouldn't have to worry about the speed limits, the hull speed is probably about 10 knots. I'm thinking you would be banned from the public docks as one little mistake docking with that 190,000 pound mass would make a mess. The other problem is that it would take you two days to scrub the hull with a brush over at the Margate sand bar.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
Par Four

Default I'd like a try too

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I have just one question....

Can I drive it?
But not thru the Weirs channel on a weekend!
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
polarisman14

Any way I could learn your key to success?

That does seem quite excessive for this lake given that the median size of the owners that reponded to the poll is around 25'. I'd venture a guess that 90% of people that oppose this idea, though, are doing so more out of jealousy than anything else. If it were me I'd pick the place with the nicest view and buy that, and have a full fleet of boats and call it good.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #22
NoBozo

I stand corrected: 80 foot Hatteras...10 Years old..US$: 3-4Million.

NB.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
Pontoon Goon

Default Easy solution

Just get two 40 footers
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pontoon Goon For This Useful Post:
aquabones (07-26-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
Pineedles

If you bring it, please cruise into Center Harbor at full throttle. We miss the huge waves that the Mount used to generate.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
MMGTG (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisman14 View Post
Any way I could learn your key to success?

I'd venture a guess that 90% of people that oppose this idea, though, are doing so more out of jealousy than anything else.
I suggest that as one gets older, Jealousy becomes much less a significant factor in ones life. Most of the people on this board are probably well beyond that emotion. NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jealousy
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Rustponder (08-01-2016)
Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #26
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Never going to happen

Assuming that you are serious:

The biggest travel lift on the lake is at Irwins in Laconia and it will not lift anything near that size. In addition to that, there is no way to get a vessel of that size to the travel lift and any vehicle hauling it will scrape on the ground as it exits Union Avenue. There are also the obvious problems hauling anything of that size over the road.

The only docks on the lake capable of accommodating a vessel of that size are at Silver Sands. Even if you assume that they will remove several long-term tenants to benefit you, the depth will be a problem.

I assume that you are joking but you should know that the only thing that has prevented someone with the resources to bring a vessel of this size to the lake has been common sense, good judgment, and logistical problems. Sometimes, all the money in the world's cannot buy good judgment.

Let's hope that impediment continues indefinitely!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #27
JonLevis

I am 51 feet and stay at Fay's. Haven't had many navigation issues, but in all fairness I draw less than a lot of other boats on the Lake. I can't imagine many places that can accommodate much more than the 50-60 range unless they build something for you!
JonLevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #28
MMGTG

This post has certainly yielded the result I was hoping for. Many of the marina's have reached out privately interested in accommodating the vessel. In addition an estate management company has thrown their hat in the ring to handle logistics, transportation and construction.

It's amazing how quickly this all came together. What a great forum!

Sorry that this seems to have generated so much negative sentiment. But I looking forward to this project and the time my family will get to enjoy spending on the lake.

Now the task of selecting the right yacht. The Hatteras was just an example that folks would recognize. Now that I know it's possible we can start planning.

That said, you may see a custom yacht in the 80'-100' range for the 2015 or 2016 season! Hope to see you out on the lake!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 AM   #29
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

I am thinking that the fishing is better here than on the fish tales forum.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-24-2013), brk-lnt (07-24-2013), ishoot308 (07-24-2013), Pontoon Goon (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #30
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Someone said 10 knots......Try 45-50mph....

80' Hatteras.......21.1' tall. Approx 10 knots on this model.

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #31
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
I am thinking that the fishing is better here than on the fish tales forum.
It's kind of fun though, true or not!!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #32
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Someone is pulling your chain!!

Quote:
This post has certainly yielded the result I was hoping for. Many of the marina's have reached out privately interested in accommodating the vessel. In addition an estate management company has thrown their hat in the ring to handle logistics, transportation and construction.

It's amazing how quickly this all came together. What a great forum!

Sorry that this seems to have generated so much negative sentiment. But I looking forward to this project and the time my family will get to enjoy spending on the lake.

Now the task of selecting the right yacht. The Hatteras was just an example that folks would recognize. Now that I know it's possible we can start planning.

That said, you may see a custom yacht in the 80'-100' range for the 2015 or 2016 season! Hope to see you out on the lake!
NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

There is no way " Many of the marinas have reached out". No marina on Winnipesaukee can handle that size vessel and only one, Silver Sands, could find a dock large enough for an "80 - 100" foot yacht.

Think of all of the telephone wires, poles, and trees on the route to the lake that preclude the transportation of anything of this size. Even at 80 feet think of all of the corners that a truck of 100 feet cannot negotiate.

If you believe these posts I have this bridge I want to sell you...........

I repeat: NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #33
codeman671

With that kind of draft, good luck getting through some of the channels. The Weirs channel could be fun on a dry summer when the lake is down. Not sure about the bridge height.

Meredith Bay claims to be able to handle a 60' boat with a 17' beam. That is probably one of the largest berths on the lake.

Save your money. Take a look at the 53' Carver that is already on the lake. It is already on a dock, ready to go.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #34
Pontoon Goon

Default Best wishes

Mr. Howell,
I for one wish you and your wife Lovey nothing but the best. After all the Motor Ship Mt. Washington is on the lake so we know it's not impossible. (you may have to go with a 60 footer, cut it in the middle and add 20). Unlike your ocean experience the longest trip on this lake would be approximately a 3 Hr. tour.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #35
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon View Post
Mr. Howell,
I for one wish you and your wife Lovey nothing but the best. After all the Motor Ship Mt. Washington is on the lake so we know it's not impossible. (you may have to go with a 60 footer, cut it in the middle and add 20). Unlike your ocean experience the longest trip on this lake would be approximately a 3 Hr. tour.
Except for the fact that the Mount has specific routes and docks at a commercial wharf, not a marina...When was the last time you saw the Mount in Paugus Bay?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #36
AC2717

last time I checked, it is the USA
if the guys wants to put a boat on the lake with no restrictions and can afford it and what else might come with it then so be it!
Not our position to judge
Aldidonato (01-28-2014), LIforrelaxin (07-24-2013), upthesaukee (07-24-2013), VitaBene (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #37
MMGTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchhaven View Post
Why a hatteras if you are trying to use it live aboard? Why not consider a large house boat like you would see on lakes out west? They seem to have tons of real livings space, I would argue they are more efficient living space per linear foot, than a traditional boat like a hatteras. So you could get a 60' house boat and actually have more space than a 80' hatteras. Also at 60' I would not worry about waves even tho it is a house boat.
I have always wondered why there are not any big ones on this lake like you see out west.
This is a great question. Does anyone have any knowledge in this area? Based on birchhaven's response I found http://www.bravadayachts.com/custom-series.php

Most of the examples I have found with these house boats seem to be on lakes that are like glass; at least in all of the images and videos I've come across. I know the broads are anything but glass.

Does anyone know how these things do in some decent lake chop?

It would certainly solve the launching issue since it could be trucked in in pieces and assembled at the lake. Thoughts?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #38
Way Out There 2

Mr. Howell,

The weather started getting rough...
Way Out There 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #39
Lakesrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
last time I checked, it is the USA
if the guys wants to put a boat on the lake with no restrictions and can afford it and what else might come with it then so be it!
Not our position to judge
You are correcct. Then might as well go for one of these then....

Or build your own....

I would think this one could take a pounding....

Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #40
RailroadJoe

Default One good way to go.

If you are interested in staying more then one year and putting a nice 80' plus boat in the lake, think this way. Find a nice small lot on the lake. Buy it and then put in a 100' dock with electricity running to it. This way once the boat is in the water you can run the paddles in the winter to keep it from freezeing. The same way the Mount and the mail boats do. Also, if you like, you could even spend a winter week-end in it.

Then when you decide to move on, you can sell the lot.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #41
Pontoon Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Except for the fact that the Mount has specific routes and docks at a commercial wharf, not a marina...When was the last time you saw the Mount in Paugus Bay?
When it was launched.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #42
Lakesrider

Can you even put in a 100' Dock. I would think there are limits for private individuals for dock length. Plus I would think the engineering for something like a 100' dock and the tonnage/stresses that the boat would create on the dock would fairly pricey..
Old 07-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #43
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Can you even put in a 100' Dock. I would think there are limits for private individuals for dock length. Plus I would think the engineering for something like a 100' dock and the tonnage/stresses that the boat would create on the dock would fairly pricey..
Correct the max no argument length on a permanent dock is 30'
and 40' for a seasonal dock....

Now through the permitting process and throwing a few $$$ around you can probably get those extended....

But aside from that....

Weather this guy is serious or not... we have feed him the information he needs...

The bottom line: Currently the lake is not set up to handle a private vessel this size....IT doesn't mean some marina will not try and accommodate the need... all it takes is $$$$....

If he can handle the logistics to get it all accomplished, then I will give him credit for his efforts... but I will not hold my breath..... on the other side, I am also not going to call him a troll, because he hasn't really been stirring the pot, he just asked a question and has taken part in the discussion....
Old 07-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #44
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon View Post
When it was launched.
It is my understanding that it was not hauled here whole...Its 230 feet long!

From what I have read it was built elsewhere, cut into pieces and hauled here by rail where it was assembled in Lakeport.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #45
Pontoon Goon

Codeman that is my understanding as well which means it was actually in Paugus Bay once. Also it may be just urban legend but I read that it missed getting under the bridge by mere inches so they stopped and allowed hundreds of spectators that had lined the banks to board ship until they had sufficient weight to make it .
Old 07-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #46
NoBozo

The current Mount Washington was launched in Lake Champlain in 1888 as the Chateaugay. She was purchased in April 1940 for $20,000 and was cut up into 20 sections and shipped by rail the 150 miles from Burlington to Lakeport where she was reassembled.

At that time, the owner installed steam engines (twin screw) taken from the Steam Yacht Crescent III for a further cost of $25,000.

The new Mount Washington II was launched on August 12, 1940. In addition to taking on passengers at the bridge, for ballast, they also pumped water into the hull for two and a half hours to bring her down two feet in the water. NB

Ref: Info taken from "Follow The Mount" by Bruce D. Heald
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (07-24-2013), LIforrelaxin (07-24-2013), Pontoon Goon (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #47
Wolfeboro_Baja

To the best of my knowledge, the sister ship to the Chateaugay, n/k/a Mt. Washington, is at the Shelburne Museum in Shelburne Vt, just down the road from Burlington VT. It would appear there are some similarities between the two vessels.....

Here's a link: http://shelburnemuseum.org/collectio...t-ticonderoga/
LIforrelaxin (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #48
ursa minor

I'm not saying that I think the idea of an 80 foot yacht on the lake is a good idea, however as far as the launching / removal question is concerned a commercial crane and rigging contractor could certainly handle that portion of the work. Not inexpensive and somewhat challenging logistically but very possible. All those contractor barges had to get launched somehow. I seem to remember seeing some pictures of a crane lifting the Kitty Belle out for hull repairs at Fay's a couple of years ago. Nothing is impossible, it just takes more time and money!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #49
ITD

I think getting a Hatteras 80 here would be a problem, pretty sure it is a fiberglass boat, so cutting it up and reassembling is a problem. Max width on a train is about 10' 8" and a max height of 20' 2 in some cases. I think the OP should commission a boat, maybe the Mount company would allow use of their drydock.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #50
JasonG

Quote:
Thanks for the benefit of the doubt!

This purchase would be for the lake only. There would be no back and forth transport. Also in the process of purchasing a separate ocean going yacht.

This really is only serving our needs in terms of comfort and size vs owning a house on the lake. The tenders would serve our needs for docking and going ashore.

Basically I'm trying to put the largest boat in the water possible that can be taken out and stored for the winter. It doesn't have to be "that reasonable." It just needs to be possible.

If it can't be done, I'm not trying to move mountains (or bridges) to make it happen. 60' is the smallest I could think of going, and I'm not overly anxious to try to have a family of 5 live in such cramped quarters for several weeks at a time.

Thanks so much for the quick responses! Really appreciate any insight!
You may have to move bridges. Shot in the dark here, but where you can trailer an 80ft boat to and successfully launch it on Winni?
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #51
RailroadJoe

Bring it in by helicopter. There are big ones.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #52
mbhoward

When Nat Goodhue pulled the Swallow in and out at Wolfeboro, he used a rail system that allowed him to pull her out and up into a shed for the winter. I think that rail system is gone now but I'm wondering if any of the older yards still have a rail system in place? That could handle any size boat. Before all these high capacity lifts came into use (late 70's, early 80's?) rail was the only viable option for pulling large boats out for the winter and the lake used to have quite a few big ones.

I think a more serious problem will be the draft and getting in and out of various bays around the lake, especially in the fall as the lake level drops. The channel at Weirs has already been pointed out but there are plenty of other areas to worry about. I think to keep the draft issue manageable and to insure easier navigation, you should drop the Hatteras idea and stick with a houseboat. There's no need for an open ocean, deep V type of displacement hull on an inland waterway. Our weather doesn't get that rough.

My 2c
mbhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #53
Kamper

"Tenders"

Register at least one so you can use it for more than "ship's business." Tenders can only legally be used directly been the 'mother ship' and places where needed to transport materials and personnel.

"80 - 100"

I believe a vessel this size requires a licensed Captain.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #54
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Bring it in by helicopter. There are big ones.
Good idea, but I think the biggest helicopter will "only" lift about 40 or 50 thousand pounds, this boat weighs around 190,000 pounds. This is probably not the first guy to think this way, but the logistics probably prevent it from happening.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #55
jrc

I don't know if this guy is serious but it is fun to think about this. I see these issues:

1) Getting the boat to the lake- this is the toughest issue, and I don't know how you truck something that wide and that tall from an ocean port to the lake.

2) Getting the boat in the lake- seems like a crane or a two could handle this.

3) Docking the boat- there are very few existing docks that could handle this, but they do exist.

4) Navigating the lake - is this really an issue? Paugus Bay may be off limits but you can go anywhere the Mount can go. That is a lot of lake.

5) Visiting public dock and sandbars - easy enough with a tender, just anchor in deep water.

6) Anchoring overnight - same as the rest of us, back to the dock at night

7) Licensing - not needed if you captain your own boat, or hire a licensed captain

8) Maintenance - Do you need a crane every spring and fall or can you leave it in the water with bubblers, purely a cost issue.

If you can get it here the rest is easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #56
NoBozo

Default Winter Storage (No problem)

The Mount Washinton usually spends the winter at her own dock (w/circulators) in Center Harbor. There is a marine railway right there that goes "mostly" unused during the winter. I'm sure an 80' Hatteras would be welcome to store there..out of the water for the winter..for a FEE.

A little winter income for CruiseNH might be welcome. NB
Old 07-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #57
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I'm sure an 80' Hatteras would be welcome to store there..out of the water for the winter..for a FEE.
NB
I'd wager the liability to them wouldn't be worth any reasonable fee they could collect.

All of this doesn't really matter, I'll wager $100 that this guy never brings an 80' (or 60' for that matter) large yacht to the lake.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #58
Winnilifer

Quote:
This is a great question. Does anyone have any knowledge in this area? Based on birchhaven's response I found http://www.bravadayachts.com/custom-series.php

Does anyone know how these things do in some decent lake chop?

Thoughts?
Really?Really
Winnilifer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnilifer For This Useful Post:
hig (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #59
jmen24

Default what's the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnilifer View Post
Really?Really
I guess I don't understand why anyone cares if someone wants to drop a couple million on a boat for the lake. Houses are built on this and many other lakes in this state every year that exceed $2 million and that typically does not include the original property purchase price.

So someone wants to spend a little more than that on a boat that will be "their" lake house, who cares?

Whether this is actually something that will happen or not, is up to the owner and no one else.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #60
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
I guess I don't understand why anyone cares if someone wants to drop a couple million on a boat for the lake. Houses are built on this and many other lakes in this state every year that exceed $2 million and that typically does not include the original property purchase price.

So someone wants to spend a little more than that on a boat that will be "their" lake house, who cares?

Whether this is actually something that will happen or not, is up to the owner and no one else.
I don't think anyone comment here truly *cares*, if anything I think most people think the OP is not likely going to pull this off.

The potential price of the boat is not the key point, but rather the fact that it would be practically impossible to launch and maintain a boat of that size in any reasonable way. If the OP were serious about this endeavor they would have likely realized that quite a while back.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #61
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I don't think anyone comment here truly *cares*, if anything I think most people think the OP is not likely going to pull this off.

The potential price of the boat is not the key point, but rather the fact that it would be practically impossible to launch and maintain a boat of that size in any reasonable way. If the OP were serious about this endeavor they would have likely realized that quite a while back.
Maybe "cares" was not the correct word, but there are some pretty strong or condescending reactions to this idea within the thread.

Most people have no concept of what "real" wealth is truely capable of or what it even looks like from the inside. Whether that is the case here, we don't know.

Boats of that size range have plied the lake before and really, someone would need to be the first to do it again!

The OP also never said that this would be the only boat they would have available for use on the lake. It may never have to leave its berth more than once or twice a year to entertain guests with a fireworks show in one of the bays.

I think the concept or idea is interesting and a version of this, at this scale, could be possible.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #62
aquabones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
An 80 foot Hatteras has a 21 foot 1 inch beam, a 5 foot 8 inch draft, 21feet 3 inches above the water and displaces 190,000 pounds aside from being almost 80 feet long.

This sounds like a brilliant idea, maybe the Mount will allow you to share berths...... it's against the law to anchor overnight on the lake.
I think the tide will go up when it's launched!!
aquabones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #63
HUH

Default Wake

Not sure if its been mentioned.. Wouldn't the wake from an 80 foot Hatteras do unimaginable damage to shore front and shore front structures that have never seen a wake this large. If this lake ever needed a law it should be one to regulate displacement and speed of such an ego-mobile. Common Loons build their nests in clumps of grass along the shore so picture yourself toppling dozens of loon eggs out of the nest etc..
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #64
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
Not sure if its been mentioned.. Wouldn't the wake from an 80 foot Hatteras do unimaginable damage to shore front and shore front structures that have never seen a wake this large. If this lake ever needed a law it should be one to regulate displacement and speed of such an ego-mobile. Common Loons build their nests in clumps of grass along the shore so picture yourself toppling dozens of loon eggs out of the nest etc..
I doubt it would put out more wake than the mailboat or underpowered cabin cruiser (think Carver)!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #65
dave603

Default Interesting BUT....

Found one ad for a used 80ft Hatteras, 2004 for $2,695,000.
Seems to me you can buy a place on the lake for that amount, and get a nice 30 footer for fun.
Not worth it in my mind.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #66
jrc

While I still think this thread was a mega-troll, we do already have some very heavy and large (68', 74' and a 230') vessels on the lake. Don't they operate safely without damage to the shoreline?
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
trfour (01-31-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #67
plumgood

We have a 37' slip for sale at Meredith Yacht Club. Within walking distance to all the shops and restaurants in Meredith.

I think that you would be happy at this Club.
plumgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #68
RLW

Smile

plumgood, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for jumping in and putting your first post on the forum. Please jump in more often.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:36 AM   #69
HellRaZoR004

Did this ever happen? I don't see 60' boats running around. With the lake level so low this year, I wonder if larger boats will need to get pulled sooner.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #70
noreast

Just read the whole post, Funny how some try to be nice when the question was so idiotic to begin with, for as many reasons as dollars it would cost.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #71
Lakeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Just read the whole post, Funny how some try to be nice when the question was so idiotic to begin with, for as many reasons as dollars it would cost.
Agreed! ! Just don't ask about window cleaning. LMAO
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #72
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Agreed ...... however

The Boston Globe‎ - 2 days ago
Winning Powerball ticket sold in Raymond, N. H., makes someone almost half a billion dollars richer.

With that kind of money you might be able to create your own volcanic island on the lake to go with the boat.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #73
Outdoorsman

I also just read this post from the beginning. Certainly fun to think about. For me though, it took a nose dive at this point...

Quote:
07-23-2013 02:31 PM
MMGTG
How Big Can You Go?
New to the area with a number of friends who live on the lake. Looking to purchase a large yacht for possibly living aboard at one of the marina's on Lake Winni.
And just 10 hours later

Quote:
07-24-2013 12:05 AM
MMGTG This post has certainly yielded the result I was hoping for. Many of the marina's have reached out privately interested in accommodating the vessel. In addition an estate management company has thrown their hat in the ring to handle logistics, transportation and construction.

It's amazing how quickly this all came together.
What a great forum!
Amazing to get marina's and estate management companies to reach out to you to you so quickly, in a forum such as this, in an understatement.

Great story though.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
noreast (08-02-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #74
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

We already have a floating mcmansion....
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
germangirlvt (08-03-2016)