Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #101
Taz

A15.2.3 Boat Slips: Minimum Number. Accessible boat slips are not "reserved" for persons with disabilities in the same manner as accessible vehicle parking spaces. Rather, accessible boat slip use is comparable to accessible hotel rooms. The Department of Justice is responsible for addressing operational issues relating to the use of accessible facilities and elements. The Department of Justice currently advises that hotels should hold accessible rooms for persons with disabilities until all other rooms are filled. At that point, accessible rooms can be open for general use on a first come, first serve basis.

I would like to know how the town of Wolfeboro will address this section of the ADA accessibility code. As far as I know a town ordinance can not over rule a federal law which I believe this code is a part of. I would go to this hearing and ask but I can not make it. If someone else reading this is going maybe they could ask.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #102
Airwaves

As someone who has a severely handicapped relative (confined to a wheelchair and unable to walk at all) I think the only realistic way to make a dock, public or otherwise, truely handicapped accessable is with a piece of equipment like THIS built into the dock designated as handicapped. Constructing more docks won't really help anyone confined to a wheelchair.

Do I think Wolfboro or any other community will do this? Nope, so putting a handicapped sign on a dock or two is only an attempt to try to show compliance to the ADA and avoid future lawsuits or federal compliance orders. IMHO
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #103
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
As someone who has a severely handicapped relative (confined to a wheelchair and unable to walk at all) I think the only realistic way to make a dock, public or otherwise, truely handicapped accessable is with a piece of equipment like THIS built into the dock designated as handicapped. Constructing more docks won't really help anyone confined to a wheelchair.
A modified version of the below lift system would allow for the embarking and disembarking of a wheelchair and its occupant, not just the wheelchair. Think of the vehicle as being the dock and the lift arm possessing the ability to extend.

http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm...discontinued=0
Old 06-04-2008, 07:10 AM   #104
jrc

If you search way back in this forum, you should find a thread on the Hoyer lift base at the Gilford public docks. From memory, an islander wanted to bring his disabled family member out to the island. He paid for, or convinced the town to install the base for a Hoyer lift on the Gilford public docks. It is still there. The only thing there is the base bolted to the dock, the user needs to have the lift mechanism. Most people that need one, rent one under their insurance. I remember seeing pictures of a man being lowered into a bowrider and going for a boat ride.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #105
Airwaves

I do recall reading about that and I mentioned but it wasn't an option.

If they installed a base for a hoya lift at the Wolfboro 'handicapped' dock that would fit the bill, but short of that it's just another dock with a sign.

Last edited by Airwaves; 06-04-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: took out personal information
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #106
2Blackdogs

According to a glossy town mailing, there's a Lyman "In the Water Boat Show" at the Wolfeboro Town Docks tomorrow. 9AM-3PM. 569-4554 for information.

It'll be interesting to see how the docks get used then.
2Blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote