Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
wendyg

Post Newbie

We have just purchased a 2006 Sea Ray 250 SLX that is outfitted with a Merc 496 MAG 375hp engine with only 51hrs. We did a lot of research and decided that this was the right size of a boat to accommodate our family and potential guests as well as the right size boat to handle the lake. We started out thinking 18 ft...but quickly realized we would be cramped for space and tossed around on the lake. We also considered a 24 ft boat...but this one just gave us that little bit of extra room in the cockpit and bow of the boat. My husband spent his childhood on sailboats in Florida and I grew up on a 17 ft Cobia power boat in Florida. We are first time boat owners and will be keeping the boat at Mountain View Yacht Club. We are also new to Lake Winni. We have rented smaller power boats a few times on Lake Ossippee and Lake Sebago. We have three children ages 9-16, as well as two dogs. We want to enjoy both the cruising side and watersports as well as swimming on the lake. So what I am looking for is advice on easing ourselves into this. We realize we have a lot to learn...docking, navigation of the lake, boat mechanics, etc. Safety is the top priority. Any input from both experienced and beginner boaters on how to "get started" is greatly appreciated!
wendyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyg View Post
We have just purchased a 2006 Sea Ray 250 SLX that is outfitted with a Merc 496 MAG 375hp engine with only 51hrs. We did a lot of research and decided that this was the right size of a boat to accommodate our family and potential guests as well as the right size boat to handle the lake. We started out thinking 18 ft...but quickly realized we would be cramped for space and tossed around on the lake. We also considered a 24 ft boat...but this one just gave us that little bit of extra room in the cockpit and bow of the boat. My husband spent his childhood on sailboats in Florida and I grew up on a 17 ft Cobia power boat in Florida. We are first time boat owners and will be keeping the boat at Mountain View Yacht Club. We are also new to Lake Winni. We have rented smaller power boats a few times on Lake Ossippee and Lake Sebago. We have three children ages 9-16, as well as two dogs. We want to enjoy both the cruising side and watersports as well as swimming on the lake. So what I am looking for is advice on easing ourselves into this. We realize we have a lot to learn...docking, navigation of the lake, boat mechanics, etc. Safety is the top priority. Any input from both experienced and beginner boaters on how to "get started" is greatly appreciated!
I assume you have your boating certificate? If not that is where you want to start... Also this forum is a great place to ask questions. Tons of experience here with peopel willing to help you out. Make sure you get a chart and never ever feel badly about stopping and making sure you are in the right place. The lake can be very unforgiving in spots. (Please just make sure you don't stop directly in a channel) lol. But overall commen sense goes a very long way on the water and most everyone is always willing to lend a helping hand.

By the way VERY nice boat!! where will you be taking her out from?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
wendyg

Thank you...we are keeping her at Mountain View Yacht Club in Gilford...and yes...working on that boating certificate. Any suggestions for a nice first day outing. We are taking delivery on Thursday afternoon and hoping to be on the lake Sat or Sun. We are a play by the rules family and really aren't looking to take the aggressive start here.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

As OCD has already mentioned,Get a chart.Buy one right here on the website.I bought 2 and kept one next to my favorite porcelin seat and would study it about,twice a day!I can't emphasize enough understanding the chart and navigation markers.It can easily become confusing until you've made multible passages to become comfortable in your decision.
wendyg (05-24-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Rinkerguy

Definately get a chart, and/or a GPS w/ a cmap chip of the lake

A good suggestion for a place to float for the day would be the sandbar behind Sleepers Island
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rinkerguy For This Useful Post:
wendyg (05-24-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
wendyg

We will definitely be getting the charts and are also looking into GPS as well. I keep hearing horror stories about getting into "trouble" with rocks and ledges. We got the 50 cent tour regarding the markers and staying 150 ft off shore when we were out testing boats. I don't want to piss anyone off but more importantly don't want to jeopardize safety. The dealer seems to be more than willing to work with us and getting "us" broken in.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
We will definitely be getting the charts and are also looking into GPS as well. I keep hearing horror stories about getting into "trouble" with rocks and ledges. We got the 50 cent tour regarding the markers and staying 150 ft off shore when we were out testing boats. I don't want to piss anyone off but more importantly don't want to jeopardize safety. The dealer seems to be more than willing to work with us and getting "us" broken in.
Coming out of Gilford you can go anywhere. The size of your boat will allow you to go most anywhere in almost any condition. The weather looks "ok" this coming weekend (light winds and no major Tstorms) so basically just go out and enjoy. If it were me I would venture probably out to the broads (the large open part of the lake) and maybe head towards Wolfboro and winter harbor. It will give you an idea of the size of the lake and there are not too many obstacles to worry about as far as a ton of bouys etc. But there are always other boats, islands, and possible hazards: sticks floating etc. so always be on the look out.

As you get more comfortable you can start to venture around long island, braun bay etc.

I personally would avoid heading up to towards the inlets and bays in moultonboro i.e. greens basin and lee's mills until you are very comfortable with the chart and compass. Also avoid weirs bay on the weekend for now until you are comfortable with boat traffic.

You will have a blast. Just always use common sense and if something doesn't look right, feel right, smell right or sound right. Shut down and figure it out. Don't try to run your way out of a problem that is where you can cause more problems then the original one you were in (if any)
Old 05-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
OCDACTIVE

oh I forgot 2 other very important items... Get yourself a safety pamphlet. You can download them from the marine patrol. Most of it is common knowledge like: have life jackets on board for everyone but it also will list important safety equipment required by the US coast guard and the Marine Patrol.

Also, make sure your sales man when you take possesion goes through this with you. Don't get so excited that you take her out and you get pulled over.

I have seen this happen a few time with new boat owners and all they get is a hefty fine on their first day.

If you have question the Marine Patrol is a great resource for this or you can visit www.sbonh.org where there are links to safety info. Or frankly just ask right here and I am sure we can help you out!

Have fun, stay safe.
wendyg (05-24-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
As OCD has already mentioned,Get a chart.Buy one right here on the website.I bought 2 and kept one next to my favorite porcelin seat and would study it about,twice a day!I can't emphasize enough understanding the chart and navigation markers.It can easily become confusing until you've made multible passages to become comfortable in your decision.
I thought I was the only one who had one in my office with the porcelin seat.. LOL
Old 05-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
jrc

This is a busy weekend to start so get out early and stay away from the Weirs Beach area until you get a feel for the lake.

Since you and your husband have some boating experience the basics should be covered. You can steer, dock and anchor a boat. If you see a marker you don't understand, stop and get the chart. We have weird lake markers, so be safe, you really don't want to cheat the markers at all.

When you come out of Mountain View you will be facing the scariest part of your Winni boating, "The Witches". They are right in the middle and well marked but go left or right but not down the middle.

Since you kids are fairly young, you likely want to swim where they can touch a nice sandy bottom. I suggest an early ride on either day to the sandbar behind Sleepers. Get there before 10am and you will have no trouble. The water is waist deep and the bottom is sandy. Since the water is still cold you may not have big crowds.

Get a chart and look for Sleepers Island and on the mainland near there you will see a shallow area labeled "No Rafting" that's the place.

Search on these forums for sandbars, rafting and swimming for other spots.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
sa meredith

Default advice

I was where you are now, 5 years back.
I would simply say this...get a chart, plan your course the night before, trying to find each navigational bouy, and hazard marker you saw on the chart (occasionally one is missing) on your way to your destination. Start very small, and then branch out a bit a time, trying to master a certain part of the lake before moving on. There is just no way you will learn the whole lake in a year or two, so don't try.
When you do decide to venture out on an all day adventure, keep a good eye on the sky, as nice weather on one part of the lake certainly does not indicate good weather on another. As with any body of water, conditions can change in a instant.
As was mentioned earlier, if you don't know exactly where you are in relation to the chart, stop and figure it out. Winni is VERY UNFORGIVING. What is unique about it is that although you may think you are in open water, with no land even remotely close, you can suddenly come upon hazzards (read: ROCKS). Most are clearly marked on a Bizer chart , so consult it early and often.
Lastly, the best advice I can offer is this...the lake is two completely different bodies of water on weekends/ weekdays. If at all possible, as we head into the heart of the summer, stick to weekdays. 90% of the boats you encounter will know the proper actions to take, and act in accordance with what you have learned in the course.
Weekends???? Well, hang on and good luck....
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default welcome

Welcome to the forum and the lake. One thing that can be tough with kids out on a boat is life preservers.
I have always had kids under 12 in life preservers, and have spent a little extra cash over the last few years to get ones that zip up and tie, and are like what you see a lot of bass fisherman wear (who aren't wearing the inflatable ones that look like suspenders).

I found that my grandchildren were more receptive to wearing that type of life preserver than the old ugly orange uncomfortable but safe ones.

Enjoy the lake, and coming out of your marina and Sanders Bay, just watch out for "The Witches", a large area of shallow water and huge rocks that is really pretty well marked, but still seems to confuse people. It goes from west of Lockes Island (the island to the right as you come out Sanders Bay from the marina to North of Governors Island (the island that is to the left of the bay as you come out.

Take your time, enjoy, and be safe. Once again, welcome.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
Dave R

Congrats! Sounds like a nice boat you got there.

My first time operating my own boat on Winnipesaukee was exciting and challenging. I ventured up to Lee's Mills from Alton Bay to see the steam boats. Later, I went through Sally's Gut. If you feel ambitious, give it a shot. There's a ton of markers near both, so it'll keep you busy. Once you've done that trip, everything else will seem a lot easier.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Keep it simple at first

As has already been said get a chart or 3. Keep one at "home" and another on the boat. Plan your first trip out and I'd advise you to get to know your local waters (and hazards) first. Head out almost due North and find the Witches. Circle them completely keeping a wary eye out for the warning buoys and other markers. Get to know the "channel" between the Witches and Timber Island. There are numbered flashing buoys there in addition to the normal red and black tipped kind. Follow the safe routes marked on the chart. Getting to know where the Witches are in relation to Timber and Governors islands and how they are marked off is the best way to avoid being on the rocks in them at some later date. Then take a trip around Gov I, perhaps a side trip down Meredith Bay, and under the bridge and back to home port. Circle the Witches in the opposite direction if you want. Keep it easy the first time out easy. The above is less than an hour.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

One VERY VERY important piece of advice above and beyond all that has been mentioned. NEVER EVER assume you are OK by following another boater when operating in an area where there are hazards (markers) present. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen people completely oblivious to where they are or what they are doing and pass on the wrong side of a marker. If you are unsure of where you are stop and confirm your course. The marked areas of the lake are obviously done so for a reason, don't let your nice new boat find out why the hard way.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (05-24-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
ApS

Wink ANOTHER very very important piece of advice...

1) My first safety consideration is: Weather.

If the wind is the usual prevailing ~NW, watch for "pop-ups" forming in that direction. If the wind is southerly, then anything can happen—and usually does.

Don't wait for the cold—or darkness—or the sudden wind-drop. Tune to an AM station and listen for lightning strikes. If you hear any lightning strikes (at all), reconsider what you'll be doing for the rest of the day.

Know that Winnipesaukee's property owners are not averse to allowing "safe space" at their dock/boat house during thunderstorms.

I've seen folks anchoring in bad weather—for their first time, ever—and it's not pretty.

2) Read the disclaimers and test results inside the newest of PFDs. (Especially the PFDs for children).

3) Before considering only property damage due to rocks and ledges, consider buying a copy of "Chapman's" for safe boat handling.

Chapman is comprehensive and is kept up-to-date with its various editions.

I don't know how a boater can "venture forth" without the knowledge in "Chapman's". (And I think NoBozo will agree).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #17
Just Sold

Like the Witches you need to learn the Grave Yard. It is north of Cow Island and south of Melvin Village. West of 19 Mile Bay.
It looks like there is lots of open water and that you can boat right through but it is only a channel and it has a hook to it. It is well marked but you can get disoriented the first few times you go through. Lay back and watch a few boats go through and then you will see how everyone goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (05-24-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #18
wendyg

Sounds like The Witches and Graveyard are pretty tricky...would a GPS system help us to navigate our way safely through along with a chart? Do boats generally take it pretty slow through these spots...of course I am sure there always those who don't
Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #19
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Hi Wendy, neither are difficult as long as you know where you are relative to the chart and the markers, as long as there is not another boat in the Graveyard I cruise through on plane.

Like others have said, don't trust others and blindly follow- when we were headed back to Lee's Mills from Meredith yesterday the boat I was behind took a marker on the wrong side in Mboro Bay. Not a big deal this time of year with the high water level but had it been September he would have been buying a new drive at best!

NH law requires life jackets through age 12, so a good ski vest for the kids may be in order. I would suggest keeping a few spare vest style jackets on board so the kids have a dry one to wear after they come out from skiing or tubing.

Safe Boating to you- Have a great time out there!!

Last edited by VitaBene; 05-25-2010 at 04:37 AM.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:41 AM   #20
jrc

Wendy, there are plenty of narrow and tricky spots on the lake, you can avoid most of them until you are comfortable with lake and your boat. Given where you keep you boat, you will be looking at and avoiding the Witches every time you go out.

The Witches is a big pile of rocks in the middle of a large open area of the lake. Pretty easy to see and miss if you look for them.

The Graveyard is a narrow path through rock fields on the other side of the lake, you can avoid the Graveyard forever, or at least until you feel like a challenge.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #21
onlywinni

Quote:
Congrats on the new boat. Welcome to Winni it is the only place I choose to boat these days.

My 2 cents:

-Watch out for other boaters first and foremost. Most of the boaters on the lake are respectful of others and obey the rules, but sadly there are a few that dont. Def keep the 150ft rule in mind.

-The Markers on Winni can be very Confusing IMO. I would learn the correct passing procedure which will be outlined in your course, but also buy a chart which will show you which side of the markers to pass on.

-Watch that speed since there is a 45 day and 25/night limit as of now

-First ride I would suggest taking a right out of Mountainview and follow the shore through Gilford into West Alton and then stay right down Alton Bay. Dock at the public docks. Grab some Lunch at Shibleys on the Water. Come back to the boat, take some pics of it, drool a little then go for another cruise.

-I forgot one....Keep an eye to the sky, because Winni can turn real rough and Nasty real quickly when T-storm pops up. The Lake can go from calm to 3 foot chop/rollers real quick.

-Most Importantly...BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN OUT THERE

Last edited by onlywinni; 05-25-2010 at 07:49 AM.
onlywinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #22
onlywinni

Swimming...

There are numerous spots people anchor and swim with the kids and dogs.

We often anchor over in Centre Harbor towards the end of the bay on the left. There is a nice area were many boats meet on nice days.

Closer to you in West Alton there is a similar area-if you do the ride I suggest you will pass by that area.

People anchor and swim near the Gov Island Bridge, but I believe the Marine Patrol have been putting a stop to that over the last few years

I am sure others can recommend where they go.

Water is too cold for me to go in with the dog, but in another week or so. I would be happy to show you "my" Centre Harbor spot sometime.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #23
Woodsy

Hi Wendy!

WELCOME TO THE LAKE!! (and the forum) This the most helpful group of people you could ever find! (Even if we sometimes disagree with each other)

1. When driving your boat keep your head on a 360 degree swivel... boats are not like cars and others can come at you from any direction....

2. When in doubt.... SLOW DOWN! If your not sure where you are or what the rule is slow down and get your bearings.

3. Give other boats as wide a berth as possible... 150 is the rule, but it never hurts to go a litte wider if possible.

4. As the others have suggested, I would get a chart... I like Bizer version. If your in the market for a GPS, go to Staples and get a Garmin Nuvi 500... they are cheap $299... do not get the 550! https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13424 Garmin makes a Winni map you can download for $10. the $310 investment in a GPS is cheaper than a new prop and wrecked day on the water! I have Nuvi 500 as well as a hard mounted Standard Horizon CP150 on my Donzi.

5. If I were you, I would go out and stay relatively close to home... Go to the Weirs... sure it will be busy, but you have great boat and will have no problem! and the kids will love the arcades & ice cream! Maybe go down to Meredith for lunch.. or the Naswa!

6. Docking can be tricky... it takes time and patience to learn. My advice is to go SLOW! Real slow! bump it in and out of gear until you get the hang of it! Give my friend Janice a call... she is more than qualified to actually teach you guys how to drive your boat, dock it etc... http://www.jpboating.com/ tell her Woodsy sent ya!

7. If need be... dont be afraid to ask for help or directions on the water... every boater out there was a newbie at one point!

8. HAVE FUN!

Woodsy
Old 05-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #24
Sman

Default best point

If your going to be a weekend boater, do this if you do nothing else.

Quote:
1. When driving your boat keep your head on a 360 degree swivel... boats are not like cars and others can come at you from any direction
This point is so so important because you do not typically do this in a car, unless your at a 4 way intersection maybe....on busy weekends when I drive I put my social obligations to the side and my head works like a lawn sprinkler, spinning around and looking for boats, markers, big ugly waves, etc...not frantically but just constantly scanning. At the busiest weekend times, different size boats come from different directions at different speeds and you really need to do this.

Woodsy got it right with point 1
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #25
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Wendy,

As so many have already said before me welcome to the lake. It sounded as though you grew up boating, so hopefully it will not take long to get thos sea legs back under you.

The biggest task I believe anyone has with a new boat is learn to dock and maneuver the new boat. My recommendation is the following, as you mentioned you where picking up the boat on Thursday, ask the salesman to spend some time with you after he gives you an initial run down on the boat. During the initial in the water run down he should go over all the bells and whistles and basic operation. But explain to him that you are getting back into boating and would like to take the opportunity to get some pointers on docking as well. If he is a good salesman he will not back down from this. 15 or 20 mins getting some pointers at the beginning will make a big difference the first time you pull up to a dock on your own. after taking possession of the boat however I would then recommend heading out on the lake for a while. especially if it is a nice day. There shouldn't be much traffic and as others have mentioned if you have a chart, just make a few small trips out away from your home port. Some suggestions:

1. out and around Jolly

2. Out and around Sandy

3. Over and around Diamond and maybe even further around Rattlesnake

These trips require use of the map, and an understanding of the markers but for the most part are not intensely hard to navigate.

Now with a few Ideas for trips behind us, one las thought for me to put out there, is to go back to docking. Assuming you will be around the lake both Thurs. and Friday. Both these days will be fairly light traffic days. This is a good opportunity to spend some time practicing dock techniques especially if it is calm. Pulling in and out of your slip, as well as going over to the gas dock at Mountain View. And if your adventurous, may journey to the Weirs or Meredith, and pull in and out of the public docks. Practice makes perfect. Just take it slow and easy. Now another tip I have is I through a bumper over board out in the middle of the lake, and the using reverse only make myself bring it right up to the swim platform.... It helps me remember how the boat reacts to various amounts or steering input.

anyways have a chart, get that boating cert. be safe, don't be afraid to ask question or for help, and enjoy what we all hope to be a splendid summer
Old 05-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #26
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Almost all have advised to get a chart and many suggested a gps with an electronic chart of the lake. I suggest both with the same chart in the gps as the paper chart.

First and last you should learn to navigate the lake with chart and compass learning visual landmarks as you go. Use the gps to check on your manual position location after the chart work. You can do this as you go and whenever you are unsure. If you navigate only by gps you will not learn the visual landmarks and if the gps dies someday, you will be, well, at some unknown location.

Last edited by Slickcraft; 05-25-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (05-25-2010)
Old 05-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #27
jonfinn

I've been trailering up to winni several times/each summer for five years or so.

I bought a little 17ft bowrider because I knew It'd be a while before I could afford to get a mooring or slip. It's cozy, but we have a blast.

Here are some pieces of wisdom I've learned. Some I learned the hard way.

-Until you really know the lake, use your charts (gps is good too but secondary in my opinion).

-Learn how the lake markers work so you can figure out what they're telling you just by looking at them. Consult your chart if you're not certain.

-While it's good to stop if you're not sure, be careful not to surprise a nearby boater.

-Be vigilant about your "pre-flight" routine. Don't go out if anything seems amiss. Replace your impeller every coupla years.

-Work within your own limitations. While there are plenty of "boneheads", most experienced boaters are happy help out a novice if asked. It's better to be embarrassed and safe vs. proud (and dead).

-Have fun! A bad day on the boat beats a good day at the office every time!
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #28
Loony Singer

Default one good reason for charts...

Welcome to the Big Lake, Wendy!

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but there is one very unique reason why a chart is indispensible and should be kept close at hand. The red and black markers in the Lake work differently than in the ocean. You need to go south and west of red markers, and north and east of the blacks (think I got that right). But the real point, in any case, is that you can be cruising along just fine leaving the reds to port, then change your heading a few degrees...and suddenly you need to leave the blacks to port! Unless you're watching a well-calibrated compass all the time, the chart is the best way to stay out of trouble.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #29
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Exclamation Which Chart? Duncan Press STILL not up-to-date

Hi Wendy,

Welcome to the Lake and the Forum. You've had some very good advice here so far. Almost all have suggested a lake chart/map. Let me suggest that you get the Bizer map/chart rather than the "green" map by Duncan Press. The omissions on the latest Duncan Press (2005) edition and their failure to make timely corrections to the information on their web site could be detrimental to your boating experience. For instance, they STILL list only TWO areas of the 45/25 mph speed limits on the lake. The limits apply to the WHOLE Lake, not just the two areas Duncan specifies.

You can see more inaccuracies of the Duncan Press information in THIS POST and the associated thread. They haven't changed the information since that was posted July of 2009!

Others have mentioned anchoring in shallow sandy areas and swimming, usually they are favorite spots that eventually get designated as "NO RAFTING ZONES" or NRZs. The NRZ is a misnomer as rafting is tying two or more boats together while the NRZ restricts rafts to no more than two boats and includes other restrictions such as anchoring distance from shore, other boats and boat rafts. Duncan Press (Green map) omits several NRZs from their map and web site. Check Bizer's map and their web site HERE and click on corrections to have the most accurate list and location of NRZs. They are the best shallow sandy spots to anchor and swim. When doing that it is advisable to use TWO anchors to keep your boat from moving around too much. One off the bow and another from the stern.

Do NOT rely on the Duncan Press corrections web page for the most accurate information (as of this date)

The place near the Governor Island Bridge that was mentioned for anchoring is a NRZ and the Marine Patrol has been enforcing the anchoring distance rules there more often the last few years. I believe it is 150' from shore while other NRZs, like Braun Bay has anchoring only 75' from shore.

Depending on where your slip is at MVYC backing the boat in can be a bit tricky particularly with some wind. As mentioned earlier, tossing a float out in open water and backing to it is good practice. When going to your slip don't be afraid to ask for help - those on shore will be glad to assist you in getting in.

My last bit of advice is about markers. There are some places where the best route is not intuitive - so always check your chart/map. Did we mention it is convenient to have a Marine VHF Radio on board? Boaters usually monitor Channel 16.

I've been at MVYC for about 15 years. I'm sure you'll have many happy times at the Lake and at MVYC. Happy and Safe boating

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skipper of the Sea Que For This Useful Post:
wendyg (05-25-2010)
Old 05-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #30
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Just a reminder that you can order Bizer charts directly from this site:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/index.php?pageid=store
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
wendyg (05-25-2010)
Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #31
NightWing

Talking

Just a word of caution about Mountain View. Years ago, I had a new Sea Ray 250 Sundancer that I slipped at MV the first year. I was on one of the concrete finger docks.

Everything was fine until the lake level was dropped in the fall. From day one, I had fenders tied onto the dock posts because the hull was a bit below the edge of the dock. Once the lake was drawn down,the fenders had no contact with the boat and it was then that I discovered long bolts and steel angles below the normal water line. Without the protection of the fenders, my new boat was chewed on by exposed metal for a week before I returned to the lake. The gelcoat repair was $300 and MV wouldn't help with the cost.

In fairness, this could occur at ANY marina on ANY dock. The lake is a different animal in the fall and changing lake conditions could morph a safe slip into a hostile one. Do all you can to assess how your boat will sit in the slip if the water drops or rises due to heavy rains. Dock lines may need adjustment and fenders may need to be repositioned several times a season in order to protect your vessel.

Again, this could occur in any slip in any marina, regardless if the docks are concrete or wood.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #32
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Great Advice!

Nightwing;

That is great advice especially to someone with a brand new boat!! I dinged up my brand new Eastern last fall at the Glendale Town docks because of this exact reason. It really stunk damaging the gel coat even slightly!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #33
RLW

Default Welcome to the new comer

Quote:
to the winnipesaukee Forum.
wendyg (05-25-2010)
Old 05-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #34
wendyg

Wow...you guys are great! Thanks for all the fantastic advice. The boat is going into the valet at Mountain View...we did not want a slip and fortunately our boat will fit! We will be getting charts and a GPS and comfy life jackets for the boys to wear while on the boat! My daughter is 16 and taller than me so she won't have to actually wear it. Hope to see you all out on the lake...now we've got to come up with a new name for the boat! The color of the boat is Cinnabar and the name is Tax Re Fun...so if you see us out there this weekend you will know who we are! Wish we could get on the lake during the week, but sadly life with 3 kids and jobs just doesn't permit that right now!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #35
Ms Molly McKever

Smile welcome

welcome, to the lake & mvyc, i think it the best mariner on the lake.
wife and i have been at mvyc about 10 years and we love it.
good luck and happy boating
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #36
Gilligan

Question Boat name

Quote:
.now we've got to come up with a new name for the boat! The color of the boat is Cinnabar and the name is Tax Re Fun...so if you see us out there this weekend you will know who we are!
Hi and welcome to you and your family Wendy.

Are you going to change the name of your boat from Tax Re Fun or is that the new name?

Let us know about your first experiences with your new boat and have fun.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #37
wendyg

WE ARE NOT KEEPING THE NAME "TAX RE-FUN"
We've been tossing around different ideas for a new name and will have the work done sometime in June...so for now that's the name...
We took delivery today and everything went really well. The salesman took us from Irwin Marine over to Mountain View. We went through Paugus Bay and up around Governor's Island to Timber Island. We anchored there for a bit and then went past the Witches and over to Mountain View! Our salesman was great and went over everything we us out on the water...markers, boat handling, docking...in additon to all the mechanics of the boat! It was a great experience and we are ready to get out there and practice and explore. We are camping this weekend up by Lake Ossippee, so we probably won't get out until Mon on our way home...

I'm sure we'll be seeking lots of advice...looking forward to making new friends and having a great time on the lake!!!

Thanks for all the info/advice....we got our Bizer charts and are looking for the right GPS system for the boat!

Enjoy the weekend everyone!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #38
Rattlesnake Guy

Welcome to the lake. Turning right on your first trips out will be a lot easier as stated earlier.

One piece of advice I can offer is keep track of exactly where you are on the chart. This can keep you rather busy when you are new to the lake but it won't take long before certain areas become familiar enough that the chart is only a back up. When new to an area and you are not quite sure where you are and see a bunch of markers that don't look like they should on the map don't be afraid to simply stop. I can't tell you how many times I found myself headed to the wrong side of a marker. When you stop you have time to figure it out. If you continue at 25 mph it is hard to fix the mistake. The lake is high right now which will cover a lot of mistakes but their's no shame in getting it right.

If you get lost and are not sure which island or marker you are driving by we have the closest thing to street signs available. Their are many lighted markers that also have a number on them. If you are next to lighted marker 15 you can look on the map to see exactly where you are. Confirming my location was very comforting in the early days. It's a big lake and you are going to really enjoy discovering all it has to offer.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:21 AM   #39
ApS

Default A Reminder of "The Rules"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
"...don't be afraid to simply stop..."
Before a "Stop", first check behind you.

Though there are those who would "bend" the rules; when being overtaken, you are required to maintain course and speed.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #40
jack1706

wendyg

venture over to Wolfebor0 & Winter Harbor & beyond... great boating, people & wildlife..

Best of luck with your new venture & see you out on the BiG Puddle!!

Enjoy !!
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #41
Breakwater

Don't venture too far from home at night! This is a different lake at night and most learn the hard way. Getting caught away from home in an unfamiliar part of the lake after the sun goes down is easy to do. Start close to home and learn the lake a bit at a time. Enjoy!
Breakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breakwater For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (05-30-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #42
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakwater View Post
Don't venture too far from home at night! This is a different lake at night and most learn the hard way. Getting caught away from home in an unfamiliar part of the lake after the sun goes down is easy to do. Start close to home and learn the lake a bit at a time. Enjoy!
That is probably one of the best pieces of advice I can think of. I grew up on the lake and things STILL look different to me at night.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #43
trfour

Post Keep An Eye Out On The Weather...

Before, and during boating... We all can navigate under good conditions as human nature has given us a sense of direction, and being able to use landmarks to learn our way around in good visibility [ slowly ]...

GPS, has progressed exponentially over the years, however I wouldn't rely on it Not knowing the area that I was in, if the visibility goes to zero... I would not want to have my prop marks all over folks front lawns and having to suggest that I was using my GPS at the time, What would you want me to DO!?
Sides, GPS requires more multi tasking while under way! Kind'a like texting while driving, A big NO NO.
Take it slow, Learn the Lake and then if it tickles you're fancy, by all means get GPS, A great toole!

Last but not least, Welcome! and I'm older than Lakegeezer, so's ya know that I am still here, and got around this Lake pretty good since years!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #44
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakwater View Post
I agree with TIS, Breakwaters advice is spot-on.

Night operation is just a totally different experience and may be harder than driving blindfolded because it so easy to mistake points of reference in the dark.

Once you feel ready to it a try, wait for a full moon and then dont venture too far at first as Winnipesaukee has way too many hazards to risk an accident and ruin your fun.

Plan to be back and tied up well before dark for these first trips and you will always end the day with a smile. You will have plenty of time to explore the "adventure" of night boating after you log a some sucessful day trips.

ENJOY!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #45
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Welcome to The Lake

All good advise Wendy. I am a native on the lake as I live on her shores for over 50 years.

More advice. If in doubt as to where you are on the lake. Go to the nearest Light buoy and determine the number. Look up that number on your lake chart and there you have it. The location of where you are on the lake.

If you decide to navigate after dark. Best to start out on a full moon night. Determine which light buoy you will be using as your guide before you venture out. Normally you can navigate from one light buoy to the next.

Most important rule of all! Be safe and have fun!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #46
Rattlesnake Guy

Default First night on the lake

Joining the crowd at fireworks may not be the best first night out on the water. This event can challenge those of us with plenty of experience. Boaters who would normally follow the rules seem to bend them quite dramatically in the stress or anonymity of the crowd. If you are old enough to have experienced a drive in theater at the end of the night, it can be a lot like this without the headlights or roads.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-01-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #47
OCDACTIVE

So Wendyg.... How was your weekend? did you venture out? anything catch you by surprise? I bet you had a wonderful time with the weather to match!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #48
wendyg

We didn't venture out Memorial Day weekend, mainly because my hubby wasn't able to get his certificate in time and we certainly didn't want to take the risk of being pulled over by marine patrol our first time out! That would have just really ruined the whole experience. Also we were camping in Ossipee which is a pretty long haul from the marina. So...we were hoping to get out this weekend now that the certification is complete...however the weather isn't cooperating! Really don't want to venture out in rainy/stormy conditions for the first time...so again we wait! We are hoping to get out before our summer vacation to Florida the last two weeks of June, but the clock is ticking...maybe we'll be able to get out during the week...which would be even better for the first run!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #49
trfour

Thumbs up You Folks Are Going To Do Just Fine...

Very refreshing to know how much common sense that you put forward! Stay you're course, and you will be reworded.
Again, Welcome and Happy Boating!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
wendyg (06-05-2010)
Old 06-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #50
wendyg

Thank you Terry...it's disturbing that more people don't use that same common sense! We have made a BIG investment and safety always comes first. It's not worth the risk...
Old 06-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #51
no-engine

Default Great posts, but one phrase....

I've seen some uninformed boaters out there; BUT you have great common sense, which is needed.
I was taught my first boating "rules of the road" as a child on the coastal waters, and I mean a real small child, mostly sailing. Have been on Lake for 35 years. We were always taught the respect of others. Good input here.
Regardless of the actual right of way, show respect for other boaters.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #52
robmac

Some marinas also sell a sticker outlining the spars and bouys as a reminder of where and what the safest way to navigate them. IE. North,South,East or west. Very handy for getting used to the lake. Good luck and enjoy!
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #53
chipj29

Quote:
We didn't venture out Memorial Day weekend, mainly because my hubby wasn't able to get his certificate in time and we certainly didn't want to take the risk of being pulled over by marine patrol our first time out! That would have just really ruined the whole experience. Also we were camping in Ossipee which is a pretty long haul from the marina. So...we were hoping to get out this weekend now that the certification is complete...however the weather isn't cooperating! Really don't want to venture out in rainy/stormy conditions for the first time...so again we wait! We are hoping to get out before our summer vacation to Florida the last two weeks of June, but the clock is ticking...maybe we'll be able to get out during the week...which would be even better for the first run!
You have already made 2 excellent decisions...congrats!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #54
OCDACTIVE

Weather is looking perfect for this upcoming weekend... hopefully you can make it out. From the sounds of it you and your family will be a GREAT addition to the lakes boating community!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #55
wendyg

Hoping to head out on Wed afternoon for a little while!
Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #56
Capt. Quint

Default Practice Practice Practice and then practice.

Wendy- welcome to boating. All the talk about the markers, witches and following boneheads through rocky areas is true- and all easily overcome by common sense, patience and being careful...

The only really stressful part of taking your boat out- is taking it back in,(or to any town dock). Here is the best advice you will get to enhance your enjoyment of your boat and the lake: reduce your docking anxiety- take a quiet weekday or early morning weekend, run your boat and first mate from MVYC up to the Weirs town docks and spend 2 or 3 hours docking every which way. Do it until you are bored with it, and then do it some more. If there is a little breeze- even better. These hours will make you so sure of how your boat will handle in these conditions and reduce your anxiety when approaching the dock with a boatload of people and "ghouls & fools" on the docks.

Two more items-
1) get one solid first mate/deckhand trained to understand your commands and respond calmly. One who will always have the lines ready, and who won't LEAP from the boat to the dock (or into the drink).
2) Pay no attention to the dock ghouls, and never trust the dock fools who will assist you in tying your boat up in a manner deserving of a dunce cap.

If you're going to pass a line to anyone standing on the town dock- make him tie a sheep shank for you first. If he ties a trumpet knot instead like that wealthy college boy Hooper, you'll have to straighten him out!
Capt. Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #57
NoRegrets

Insure everyone keeps their hands inside the boat while approaching the dock. Use your dock lines to catch a pole or cleat and not hands, arms, or body parts.

Try to move very slow when docking. (weather permitting!)
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #58
ApS

Exclamation Caution: Keep Looking Up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
"...If it were me I would venture...out to...Winter Harbor..."
1) Charts show Winter Harbor has floatplane "landing strips"—not that floatplane pilots pay any attention to their designated locations.

2) These past few days, I'm reminded that Winter Harbor has three landing strips for floatplanes, as several landings approximating those locations took place yesterday.

3) Traditionally, the extended weekend of July 4th is when Eagle Scouts get free rides around and over the lake in my neighbor's 130-HP (!) Aeronca floatplane.

4) All this reminded me of this same Aeronca who launched towards The Broads—taking off over a haphazard flotilla of speedboats just then entering from The Broads—and hadn't taken into account their combined closing velocities!)

Alhough cloaked by their dense waterfront hemlocks, my neighbor's Aeronca can be viewed on its wood ramp in Winter Harbor all summer long.

5) Another thing: Noisy boats don't realize that floatplanes tend to land quietly.

(While sailcraft readily-recognize those landings ).

Several years ago, I watched a solo young gal on a PWC make a U-turn directly into the path of a just-landed floatplane—which was idling at the time—fortunately.)

6) But floatplanes can be a really good indicator: Floatplane activity is an indication of fine weather ahead.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #59
Mark

Question How did it go?

Quote:
Hoping to head out on Wed afternoon for a little while!
Can we get a report from your recent boating experiences? How did they go?

Welcome to the lake and happy boating.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #60
wendyg

Default Tubing suggestions

Not too many yet. We have been out three times in the late afternoon on weekdays. Cloudy and cool conditions! Ready for a warm, sunny, weekend day! We were in Florida for three weeks on vacation as well and are hoping to get out soon! Going crazy! We basically have crossed the Broads, gone around Gov. Island, and taken the boat from Mountain View to Irwin Marine. All good experiences so far. Working on getting the GPS as well, mainly just to help us bring those markers into better view. They are tough to see, but I can see that once you learn your way around, it's not too bad. We are used to the ICW in Florida...the markers are high out of the water and OBVIOUS. We are looking for some nice places to go tubing that are safe and not too busy. Any suggestions???
Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #61
Dave R

We usually tube in the area between Long Island and 5 and 6 mile Islands. Not too much boat traffic and enough chop to keep it interesting but not so much that it's dangerous. Plenty of space too. I cannot recommend tubing in any quiet coves because I like to leave those for skiers and wakeboarders who really prefer no chop at all.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #62
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Tubing areas

Twenty Mile Bay and Winter Harbor are great places to tube. The area around Blanchard Island is also another great spot. I would not try the Blanchard Island area until you feel comfortable with the markers and only when you scout out the area. It is a little rocky.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #63
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The area around Blanchard Island is also another great spot. I would not try the Blanchard Island area until you feel comfortable with the markers and only when you scout out the area. It is a little rocky.

Where's Blanchard Island?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #64
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Where's Blanchard Island?
Its just before you get to Greens Basin almost across from Badger at the head of Raouls Cove.(according to my Bizer chart)