Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Residential Burg Alarm

Hi,

If anyone has any recommendations for burglar alarm vendors in the Moultonborough area, please let me know.

Thank you!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
camp guy

Default Residential Burg Alarm

You might try Knight Security in Wolfeboro at (603) 569-8230.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Barbara

I used Knight's Secutity in Wolfeboro. They did a great job.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Hermit Cover

Default A Plus is A+++

Call "A Plus" in Moultonborough, Technically they are knowledgeable and state of the art. They came highly recommended from several past satisfied customers.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
VitaBene

Default Thank you!

Your help is appreciated greatly
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2009, 04:45 AM   #6
RLW

Smile

In this wonderful country and great communities that we live in, why do you need a alarm system??
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
offmycloud

Alarms are a big pain if you have a family and pets. I had one for awhile and it kept going off due to the kids, pets, a spider walking over the motion sensor, dust, my wife setting it off, etc. If you are not home to quickly answer the phone the police show up and are not happy. Our house is very chaotic so it did not work well. I turned the alarm off and just keep the shotguns handy now.

That said, if you are older and/or have health issues and don't have any rugrats and crazy pets around it might work well and give you some peace of mind.
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
VitaBene

Default Alarm

It is for a friend whose husband travels extensively.

While I understand the false alarm concerns, I will try to design it in such a way to minimize (or reduce greatly) the # of motions through the use of window contacts with glassbreak detectors.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post

While I understand the false alarm concerns, I will try to design it in such a way to minimize (or reduce greatly) the # of motions through the use of window contacts with glassbreak detectors.
That and the fact that all modern panels support multiple arming modes, so you can have an ARMED/HOME mode where the motion detectors are disabled, for example.

It can also be helpful to install 2 sets of magnets on some of the windows. You mount the contact about 4" above the bottom/closed location, then put one magnet at this location and another on the bottom of the window. What this achieves is that you can leave the windows open a bit at night (4") so that one of the magnets is in line with the sensor on the window frame, and the alarm can still be armed. This way if someone comes along at night and attempts to open the window up enough to get into the house they will set off the alarm, but you can still have the windows open with the alarm armed.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Vitabean.....google up Frontpoint Security systems.......and then google up reviews for them.I did a lengthy seach because I have some experience with other companies and wanted to look around.They seem to be the best by far....there is not a single negative review in the whole country.You order online and they send a system that is all programmed....all you do is plug in the control panel,stick up the sensors (door&window or motion) and call them up to activate the system.The control panel has a cell phone,battery back up and siren.I bought a whole house system from them for $300.....with a three year monitoring contract for $39 monthly....pretty much standard.
Comparable prices from other companies were over $1000 such as ADT and Brinks and they have hundreds of complaints about poor service,alarms not answered and pushy salesmen.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Vitabean.....google up Frontpoint Security systems.......and then google up reviews for them.I did a lengthy seach because I have some experience with other companies and wanted to look around.They seem to be the best by far....there is not a single negative review in the whole country.You order online and they send a system that is all programmed....all you do is plug in the control panel,stick up the sensors (door&window or motion) and call them up to activate the system.The control panel has a cell phone,battery back up and siren.I bought a whole house system from them for $300.....with a three year monitoring contract for $39 monthly....pretty much standard.
Comparable prices from other companies were over $1000 such as ADT and Brinks and they have hundreds of complaints about poor service,alarms not answered and pushy salesmen.
$39/mo is about 4x the going rate for alarm monitoring. And most people don't really trust those lick-n-stick sensors long-term.

ADT and Brinks are certainly not the way to go either. A good local alarm integrator selling DSC, Napco, DMP or (if you can find someone in the lakes region) HAI gear is going to give you the best overall system quality and reliability.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #12
Happy Gourmand

Default Burglar Alarms

One of the best is a sticker in the windows and on the doors stating that the house is protected by an alarm. No moving parts...no ongoing maintenance or monitoring costs. It will keep the amateur burglar away. If you have something in your home that a professional burglar wants, then NO alarm system will him/her out.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #13
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
One of the best is a sticker in the windows and on the doors stating that the house is protected by an alarm.
Not really so much as you think.

Residential burglaries are usually smash and grab anyway. Most normal systems are programmed with a 30 second entry/disarm delay, which is a lot of time to start ransacking.

Another common tactic is to force open a window or door and then stand back and wait to see if the police show up. So, the stickers aren't really much of a deterrent, although Oprah-style TV shows have led a lot of people to believe otherwise.

You're also assuming that the thief is going to see that little sticker in the dark in the first place

If want to add a level of protection, a quality hardwired alarm panel with cellular backup monitoring is the way to go. Lots of externally visible things like stickers and signs can work against you. You are better off having the external appearance of no alarm and a very short entry delay (5 seconds or so) with a wireless disarm function. If you want to scare a thief off your best bet is to catch them by surprise. If they are expecting an alarm, then the siren is less surprising when it goes off. If you're using junk all-in-one systems, it is VERY easy to find and identify the main keypad or base station that serves as the brains of the system, and smash or disable it.

A panel in a can (enclosure) in a basement, attic, or interior closet, with a lock, battery backup, and protected wiring is going to prevent a thief from an easy disablement.

Catch them off guard when they enter and make it so it takes too much time to circumvent the system and you have a better chance of them changing their mind.

Stickers and cheap ebay alarm systems are really no upgrade from doing nothing and leaving it all to random chance.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #14
trfour

A sticker that has worked well for me, and I'm still a puppy over here and by the way, is, And I quote;.... ' This property is protected by Colt Fourtyfive. If you should knock lightly, my killer pit bull may dismiss you.... Howitzer, DO NOT Enter Without proper Clearance!!'

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #15
Whimsey

Default Total Security in Gilford

We used Total Security (Kevin Newlin) for installation and they provide the monitoring as well. A lot cheaper than ADT for the install...a little more on the monitoring. Overall, a satisfying experience.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Arrow Local Police says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
One of the best is a sticker in the windows and on the doors stating that the house is protected by an alarm. No moving parts...no ongoing maintenance or monitoring costs. It will keep the amateur burglar away. If you have something in your home that a professional burglar wants, then NO alarm system will him/her out.
That is exactly what the local LEO will tell you. Alarm systems are a waste of money. The police reccomends a Neighborhood watch more than anything.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #17
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
That is exactly what the local LEO will tell you. Alarm systems are a waste of money. The police reccomends a Neighborhood watch more than anything.
A pet Pit Bull.....OR ...a Black Bear on the porch would prolly be a good deterent as well. The Pit Bull would have to be let in at night in the winter so he wouldn't freeze to death..but the BEAR would be OK.

........................Just Kidding: NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:20 AM   #18
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

We also use Total Security and like them very much.....they use DMP equiptment.
Brk-int.....please tell me where I can get monitoring for $10 a month.I got quotes fromFrontpoint,Swith&Wesson,ADT,Brinks and Total .....cheapest monitoring was $32.
I know you can get some internet company for light money if you buy and install your own system,but I'm talking about pro's that do the whole package.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #19
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
We also use Total Security and like them very much.....they use DMP equiptment.
Brk-int.....please tell me where I can get monitoring for $10 a month.I got quotes fromFrontpoint,Swith&Wesson,ADT,Brinks and Total .....cheapest monitoring was $32.
I know you can get some internet company for light money if you buy and install your own system,but I'm talking about pro's that do the whole package.
SAMIAM, unfortunately those companies that you list as "pros" are usually anything but.

Check with some local alarm installer companies and see what they quote you. $10-$14/mo is the going rate for alarm monitoring by a UL Listed 24/7 central station.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #20
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post

Your friend may want to consider a Doberman Pinscher. Their a beautiful dog and are very loyal. I know if one was barking at me I'd back off.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:24 AM   #21
Irrigation Guy

Default Winnipesaukee Security

You might try Winnipesaukee Security.

http://www.winnipesaukeesecurity.com/
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:56 AM   #22
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Your friend may want to consider a Doberman Pinscher. Their a beautiful dog and are very loyal. I know if one was barking at me I'd back off.
We actually just had that conversation with her last night and this is likely the direction they will go- a dog and a gun.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #23
upnorth

Default Total Security

We used them and they did a great job. Their monitoring service is competitively priced and discounted if you pay for the whole year rather than month-to-month.

I'm sure that others have this option, but they installed a low temp monitor as well (hooked into the monitoring system).

Another neat feature is the dial-in system that allows us to turn on/off the heat (and the alarm) from the road. Very neat feature.

One thing I will stress is that their technician is really a great guy. He gave me his cell # and I have called him a bunch of times till I got the knack of the various dial-up features available and how to use them. If memory serves me, the tech's dad owns the place and so he's very into service.

You won't go wrong using them.
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #24
Capt Bart

Default Don't shoot the dog

A Plus , Great work and rep.
Capt Bart is offline   Reply With Quote