Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
feb

Default Should I worry about the cold

I've been working 7 day weeks lately and haven't had the chance to drain my pipes when I usually do. Now we get this cold snap. How cold is it up in the Meredith area? Do I need to worry about them this week or are the days warm enough to alleviate any concern?
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Pineedles

We never have closed the cottage up before November 1st.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
meteotrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb View Post
I've been working 7 day weeks lately and haven't had the chance to drain my pipes when I usually do. Now we get this cold snap. How cold is it up in the Meredith area? Do I need to worry about them this week or are the days warm enough to alleviate any concern?
You're pushing your luck if you wait much longer. Lows on Wednesday night will drop into the mid/upper 20s.
meteotrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Always closed up around Thanksgiving.

Never had a problem.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Neko

I always start draining my water pipes after thanksgiving. But I also have my T-Stat set at 40 Deg's just in case I can't make it up. I also have my alarm set to go off at 35 Deg's.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Sunrise Point

Your pipes are probably fine, but those 7 day weeks will wear you out fast!

We traditionally drain our pipes around Veteran's day. Last year, the water pipes in our smaller cottage (it's that much more exposed to the north wind)were slushy on Nov. 11th. So we will close that one up a week earllier this year.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Pineedles

Default Don't think 11/1 is too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteotrade View Post
You're pushing your luck if you wait much longer. Lows on Wednesday night will drop into the mid/upper 20s.
November 1st is OK. We got a few years of experience under our belt. Although we didn't bring water into the cottage until 1923.

Maybe the 86 year early frost is due?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Feb...don't even worry.....it would take several days of single digit temps before your pipes would freeze. Brief periods of 20's and 30's are not a problem.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
dpg (10-14-2009)
Old 10-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
feb

Default Thank you for the peace of mind

One less thing to stress about right now...
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
meteotrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
November 1st is OK. We got a few years of experience under our belt. Although we didn't bring water into the cottage until 1923.

Maybe the 86 year early frost is due?
Well I guess it depends how exposed your pipes are. Ours are fully exposed as our cabin sits on a post/pier foundation. Last year i head to fix several broken pipes after a night with lows only in the upper 20s in late October.
meteotrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
Mink Islander

Default Draining the water.

It really depends on your setup. If you're pipes are well protected, my guess it's not an issue. If they are exposed to the air, you're at some risk. 2 nights down to 27 degrees is pretty cold. Moderates again after that per Weather.com.

We drain the pipes Columbus Day weekend every year and fire it back up when we come up through Thanksgiving so long as overnight temps don't go much below freezing and daytime temps come up to the 40's. Our pipes are completely exposed under the house so we err on the side of caution.

If you have the time to get out there, I'd drain the system soon.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Pineedles

Quote:
Well I guess it depends how exposed your pipes are. Ours are fully exposed as our cabin sits on a post/pier foundation. Last year i head to fix several broken pipes after a night with lows only in the upper 20s in late October.
Thanks for adding the information about the pipes being exposed. feb can now evaluate whether they have the same situation.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Mink Islander

Default Draining the water.

It really depends on your setup. If you're pipes are well protected, my guess it's not an issue. If they are exposed to the air, you're at some risk. 2 nights down to 27 degrees is pretty cold. Moderates again after that per Weather.com.

We drain the pipes Columbus Day weekend every year and fire it back up when we come up through Thanksgiving so long as overnight temps don't go much below freezing and daytime temps come up to the 40's. Our pipes are completely exposed under the house so we err on the side of caution.

If you have the time to get out there, I'd drain the system soon.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
This is why you always make sure you have a main shut off. I shut the water off comming into the house, and turn the pump of that way if something does happen. There is minimal water damage.

Also remember wind exposure plays a role hear. As well the lake effects the temperature as well.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #15
Dave M

Default Another suggestion ?

I have exposed pipes as well. My camp is built into a side of a hill on stilts with the back section of the lower level exposed. Have always closed down the end of October and have never had a problem with broken pipes. As SAMIAM mentioned, it would take a few days of cold temperature to do some damage.
Just a thought though, could you use the "insulator" that can be put around the pipes. Does it work for cold as well as hot.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #16
DickR

My first camp was open underneath. I always figured closing the last weekend in October. One year, two days before that weekend, it went to the 20s overnight, with a breeze behind it, and the pipes froze. The breeze is what did it, as without that the heat radiating down from the cabin and upward from the ground would have slowed down the process a lot.

When I arrived, the melt water was dripping out the popped joints. All I could do was drain what what still was liquid, close up, and wait until spring. Then I spent a week on my back underneath repairing the damage.

Having a skirt around a crawl space makes a huge difference. A crawl open to the breeze, and uninsulated copper piping, will go to the end of October most years, but I'd never risk that again.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote