Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Cable TV Connection ?

The coaxial cable outlet in my bedroom, is currently being used for connecting my Internet modem. I would like to be able to connect a TV, to this same cable connection.

Can I use a cable-splitter to accomplish this? If so, will there be any signal degradation to the internet modem ? FYI, I would never used both appliances at the same time.

Thanks,
BD

Last edited by bigdog; 02-28-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: grammar
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

There should be plenty of signal level. Just pick-up a 3 dB (two way) splitter and give it a try. We have several splits in the house.

I won't matter if you use one at a time or both as once the connections are made the circuits are each terminated in 75 ohms and the power is split with the appliances on or off.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
brk-lnt

Yes, you can absolutely do that. There is already a splitter someplace along the way that split the incoming signal to feed the modem and the other TV(s) in the house. You should be able to get a decent splitter at Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

Because the Cable TV system is a "broadcast" setup, it doesn't matter how many devices are on or in use at the same time in your house. You can use the modem and any/all TVs at the same time without issues. The cable modem uses a different frequency on the cable than the TVs anyways, not that it matters, just more info.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
KBoater

Default Phone by Cable

Has anyone used Metrocast for their Phone?
Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater View Post
I did from 2/24/10 to 2/26/10 (yes the dates are right) and then pulled the plug on them as they really stretched the truth on a couple things that they do not supply.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Quote:
We have been using Metrocast Cable digital phone for two months and so far it has worked out fine. Many more features than Fair Point and less $$. We already had digital tv and internet access so we got one of the VIP packages.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Kamper

Don't use the cheap splitters. They were fine with the old analog signal for your TV but aren't very well sealed and are made with lower quality materials. This could eventually lead to corrosion and even out of the box, their signal connectivity may not be the best.

That's all I think I know about that.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Don't use the cheap splitters. They were fine with the old analog signal for your TV but aren't very well sealed and are made with lower quality materials. This could eventually lead to corrosion and even out of the box, their signal connectivity may not be the best.

That's all I think I know about that.
Question??? What determines cheap on a splitter and how does a laymen know the difference???
Old 03-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
bigdog

Thanks everyone, will get a splitter and give it a try.

Have to echo the last reponse, 'what determines a cheap splitter' ?
My livelyhood depends upon my Internet access, as I work remotely from home office ! So my Internet access connection needs to be the best it can be. If the splitter is a concern, I would need to purchase the better quality.

Thanks,
BD

Last edited by bigdog; 03-01-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default We have it

Quote:
We have the phone through Metrocast and so far we love it. We had a hum on our line with Union (TDS) and now it is crystal clear. Not sure why, but since our change over, we seem to have far fewer telemarketers calling, and we did portage our number over from Union.

We like the features, and especially like jumping on line for messages. Instead of having to listen to three or four messages to get to the one you have been looking for, online you can see who called you and choose that message to listen to first. Also like call forwarding, so if I am looking for an important call and have to go out, I can call forward to my cell phone, and not miss the call or have to play telephone tag.

RLW, sorry you didn't like the phone service.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 AM   #11
ApS

Question How About an A-B Switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
"...'what determines a cheap splitter'..." ?
I'd like to know also.

This one is probably a "cheap splitter". (Encased in a quality Zinc casting )

Signal-degradation doesn't seem to be a problem using this one!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #12
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
RLW, sorry you didn't like the phone service.
I hear you about all the good things and hat was why I wanted to change, but the problem was that I asked 3 or 4 times if the system had battery backup and they said YES. I need it as I'm disabled and have a medical conditions and also my alarm system requires it so I would like it at all times unless a wire came down. The power outage on 2/25 I did not have any phone service like I would have had with the verizon system which has a battery setup in your home that keeps the phone on line for 8 hours and/or Union Communications. I had to go to my neighbors home to use his Union Com working phone. For that reason and only for that reason I decided to change back asap.

Last edited by RLW; 03-02-2010 at 08:02 AM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RLW For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (03-02-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
Slickcraft

Default Hybrid Splitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Question??? What determines cheap on a splitter and how does a laymen know the difference???
The two way splitters (3dB hybrids) that Metrocast installed here have a frequency band of 5 to 1,000 MHz. I think that the $10 Radio Shack 3dB hybrids will work just fine. You could go the Best Buy and get the 2GHz $20.99 monster cable two way but you don't really need that.

All splitters have some "insertion loss" of at least about 0.5dB. So a two way splitter would drop each tap by at least 3.5dB or a factor of 2.24.

Cheaper splitters will have more insertion loss and not as wide a frequency range.

Stick with a two way split if that is all you need. The 8-way splitter (9dB hybrid) shown by APS will reduce each tap down to 1/8 power (down 9dB) plus insertion loss.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
Slickcraft

Quote:
I hear you about all the good things and hat was why I wanted to change, but the problem was that I asked 3 or 4 times if the system had battery backup and they said YES. I need it as I'm disabled and have a medical conditions and also my alarm system requires it so I would like it at all times unless a wire came down. The power outage on 2/25 I did not have any phone service like I would have had with the verizon system which has a battery setup in your home that keeps the phone on line for 8 hours and/or Union Communications. I had to go to my neighbors home to use his Union Com working phone. For that reason and only for that reason I decided to change back asap.
Our cable moden battery back-up did keep the phone part of the cable modem on-line during the recent power outage but the metrocast cable was down so the phone service was also down. In our case we have cell service at home so we had continued communications.

If you don't have cell back-up then plain old phone service is the most reliable albeit short on other features. Those phone lines are the lowest ones on the pole and least vulnerable to breakage by falling branches. Also the plain old phone service provides it's own power while cable depends on the local power utility to power many cable system repeaters.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #15
bigdog

Slickcraft,

Already have a zinc-encased 2-way splitter as shown by A.P.S.
Think it may have been left here be Metrocast?

Do you think this is good enough for my particular application, or would you suggest going to Radio Shack for a beeter quality version ? If so, what specs. should I be looking for ? Have no knowledge about such technology?

BD
Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #16
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Slickcraft,

Already have a zinc-encased 2-way splitter as shown by A.P.S.
Think it may have been left here be Metrocast?

Do you think this is good enough for my particular application, or would you suggest going to Radio Shack for a beeter quality version ? If so, what specs. should I be looking for ? Have no knowledge about such technology?

BD
Most likely it will work just fine so give it a try, you can't hurt anything. Both your tv and your cable modem have front end amplifiers with automatic gain control that work over a wide range of power levels.

You can test your internet connection before and after at:
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
As for the tv you will either get a clear picture or you will get noise and/or digital artifacts (very unlikely).
Old 03-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
wifi

Default For more exact results

BEFORE you put the splitter on, visit this web page:

http://192.168.100.1

its the web page of your cable modem, and visit the 'signal level' tab.

You can easily Google up the good and bad levels, won't waste space on that here.

Then AFTER you insert the splitter, making sure all taps are terminated (plugged into something), check that web page for changes and verify the levels are good according to your Google search.

... Happy Splitting ...
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #18
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Cool Digital Service

Comcast gave my daughter a big story about analog vs digital signals when they added INTERNET to her old home. Something like the old R59 cables have too much signal loss compared to R6 or better. Also, in old installations, cable were split in series resulting in substantial loss toward the end of the installation. Splitters were also low quality and corrode. More signal loss. They ran new cable from the junction box around the house perimeter and drilled a new hole to a new outlet for the TV and modem. The home was wired for cable in every rooms but the bathroom. They lost all connections. Comcast stated that the $50 installation is for only one outlet. They would have to hire an electrician to reinstall the other outlets. And when they install there can only be one multiple splitter near the junction box run a cable to each individual outlets. The house was built in 1997 to boot. WOW!

When I decided to install a Metrocast modem on my 1979 condo in Laconia last summer, I got the same story. The condo association will not allow wiring on the outside of the buildings, the installer had to run the cable through the crawlspace in the attic. He was cursing about he gets paid by installation and not by the hour. He is an independent contractor. I lost all power to my old outlets. I mentioned I need power to my other outlets and I was told to DIY or hire someone. Again, one multiple splitter near the junction box and run a cable to each outlets.

So the cable companies are saying you can only have one splitter between the junction box and your outlets. Anyone care to elaborate?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #19
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Comcast gave my daughter a big story about analog vs digital signals when they added INTERNET to her old home. Something like the old R59 cables have too much signal loss compared to R6 or better. Also, in old installations, cable were split in series resulting in substantial loss toward the end of the installation. Splitters were also low quality and corrode. More signal loss. They ran new cable from the junction box around the house perimeter and drilled a new hole to a new outlet for the TV and modem. The home was wired for cable in every rooms but the bathroom. They lost all connections. Comcast stated that the $50 installation is for only one outlet. They would have to hire an electrician to reinstall the other outlets. And when they install there can only be one multiple splitter near the junction box run a cable to each individual outlets. The house was built in 1997 to boot. WOW!

When I decided to install a Metrocast modem on my 1979 condo in Laconia last summer, I got the same story. The condo association will not allow wiring on the outside of the buildings, the installer had to run the cable through the crawlspace in the attic. He was cursing about he gets paid by installation and not by the hour. He is an independent contractor. I lost all power to my old outlets. I mentioned I need power to my other outlets and I was told to DIY or hire someone. Again, one multiple splitter near the junction box and run a cable to each outlets.

So the cable companies are saying you can only have one splitter between the junction box and your outlets. Anyone care to elaborate?
I probably have 6 splitters in various spots in my house. Cable picture is fine (not the best, but pretty darn good), and internet speed is great. I am sure that someone in the know would be able to tell the difference, but I sure can't.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #20
Kamper

Quote:
If you get it at a flea market, or a discount store for a buck or two, it is probably the lesser quality. If you buy the upper end at an electronics store, or the electronics section at a major hardware, or department store, it will probably be the better quality.

GE makes them too. You can get that brand at Sears.

Hope that helps.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I will. Like Chip I have multible splitters that I installed. Some were replaced by the Comcast tech when I called them because of the "tiling" I was getting on my plasma. They checked the signal strength and found I was borderline. A few of the splitters were a cheap Radio Shack brand from waaaay back. Anyway, I did have to install a signal booster right at the point of entry and now everything works great, even with 4 splitters.
I think comcast doesn't want you splitting so they can charge you for them to do it. I believe the cable companies were not happy when they were stopped from charging for every tv in the house. It seems now that they have found a way around that. Starting this month i will have to pay extra for any more than the 3 devices I have. I pay for a hi-def box and just recieved my 2 "free" digital converter boxes. After this month even tv's I own that are already digital will not work without their converter. EeErrrhh!

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 03-04-2010 at 08:15 AM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #22
brk-lnt

The cable TV companies really don't care about trying to sell you a splitter to make up for lost revenue. Their concerns are usually more around people installing junk splitters and/or too many splitters and degrading their own signal. Then those people call the cable co and complain about the crappy picture they gave themselves.

As long as you buy a "decent" splitter (and you really don't have to put too much thought/effort into this. Just about anything at a name-brand store will be fine, when in doubt spend an extra dollar) and have good cables in the house you'll be fine.