Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
luvmypups

Question Septic Design

Does anyone have any recommendations for a company that does septic designs?? We have already gotten a quote from Ames Associates in Meredith and while he is very professional and highly recommended we were hoping to find someone a little cheaper.
We did get a quote from Ramsdell and Daughters out of Gilford, does anyone know anything about them ?
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Sunrise Point

Charles Noddin of Belmont is one of the best around. He designed our system a few years ago and we have been very happy with it.

I am assuming that you are looking for a septic designer to develop a plan to submit to the DES and the local building department - not a septic system installer. These are two very different professions.

There are a few older threads in the Home forum...you should do a quick search for "septic" and view the previous posts.

Good luck!
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Tom Varney in Alton

did my design. great job at a good price. http://varneyengineeringllc.com/

Here's his website and phone.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
secondcurve

What type of costs are being quoted for a new septic design? Is NH regulated like MA or can existing systems simply be fixed?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Little Bear

Try DMC Surveyors (Dean Clark) in Gilford. 524-7655 He designed a system for me on a difficult, steep slope. Service & price were excellent.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
secondcurve

Little Bear:

What was the rough cost? Is the cost more for a lake front home as opposed to a non-lake front home?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
luvmypups

Default Granite State Septic Designs???

We got a very reasonable quote from Granite State Septic Designs out of Tilton. He quoted us almost half of what Ames Associates did, seems reputable. Our quote from Ames was $1900.00 and his was $900.00. We are well aware that Ames is the most expensive around and he is the best but just cant afford to pay that much money. Have any of you heard of Granite State Septic Designs???
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
ACutAbove

When you get to the point of the install, Try calling Kevin @ Getty construction.. he just finnished an island install for a client of mine and did a great job!!!
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmypups View Post
We got a very reasonable quote from Granite State Septic Designs out of Tilton. He quoted us almost half of what Ames Associates did, seems reputable. Our quote from Ames was $1900.00 and his was $900.00. We are well aware that Ames is the most expensive around and he is the best but just cant afford to pay that much money. Have any of you heard of Granite State Septic Designs???
Have not, but good luck with the project.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Little Bear:

What was the rough cost? Is the cost more for a lake front home as opposed to a non-lake front home?
I want to say the design was about $2500.00. We ended up installing a system called "Clean Solutions". http://www.thecleansolution.com/ It's been great so far.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
RLW

Default Clean Solutions septic system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
I want to say the design was about $2500.00. We ended up installing a system called "Clean Solutions". http://www.thecleansolution.com/ It's been great so far.
How would that compressor work if it had to push the liquids 250' like I have to and its all up hill. My system uses a pump and pumps it through a 2" line the 250'. I'm not saying that mine is any better than any other, but just wondering about using a compressor.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
Rattlesnake-Islandman

Default clean solutions

Hi I was Wondering How Much Did the clean solutions cost to install vs conventional , and was it installed on Lake front or an Island. Thanks for your Help.
Rattlesnake-Islandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #13
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
How would that compressor work if it had to push the liquids 250' like I have to and its all up hill. My system uses a pump and pumps it through a 2" line the 250'. I'm not saying that mine is any better than any other, but just wondering about using a compressor.
The compressor doesn't move anything: it just pumps bubbles through an intermediary chamber that "finishes" a clearer output which then drains to an appropriately-smaller leach field.

It appears to be a combination of aerobic and the conventional anaerobic systems. Except for seasonal dwellings, it appears to be a relatively high-maintenance system with the added necessity of constant electricity.

There are several aerobic systems at my Florida location, both above ground and below ground. They are noisy outside.

If you install one on an island, be sure to have it placed downwind.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
The compressor doesn't move anything: it just pumps bubbles through an intermediary chamber that "finishes" a clearer output which then drains to an appropriately-smaller leach field.

It appears to be a combination of aerobic and the conventional anaerobic systems. Except for seasonal dwellings, it appears to be a relatively high-maintenance system with the added necessity of constant electricity.

There are several aerobic systems at my Florida location, both above ground and below ground. They are noisy outside.

If you install one on an island, be sure to have it placed downwind.
How is that different from a $2000 stainless steel macerator? I have to pump sewer 200' up and 350' back from the house on the lake. Standard leach and septic design for 4 BR. Leach drains into a dry well in case the ground gets too saturated. Twice, NH DES put strong dye solution into my toilet to check out system. No problems.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #15
ApS

Wink Downwind is best...

Little Bear has linked to a system that includes an aerobic system in which a compressor runs constantly: yours is a totally anaerobic system.

An anaerobic system—should it fail—smells up the neighborhood.

An aerobic system—when it's working as it should—smells all the time.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Are you saying that this system is a gravity fed system to the leach field??
Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #17
ApS

Red face Above My Pay-Grade, but...

Most of the information on this particular system is in the previous link.

The manufacturer promises a very clean leachate, but at the cost of relatively-frequent pumpings and having an electric compressor that must run all the time. Though the concept is a good one, I've owned only one house in New Hampshire so I'd defer to those who have the latest in NH-approved systems.

Since many of Winnipesaukee's islands don't have the space for pumping away to any great distance—and because of the need for biennial maintenance, this system may not be suitable for DES' approval in certain locations.

From the link:

The left chamber is the standard anaerobic part, the center chamber is the aerobic one, and the third is the resulting "clear" leachate. It's my guess that the leachate could be pumped away to a remote dispersal field without the additional cost of a macerator-type pump.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #18
RI Swamp Yankee

That looks similar to a system used by a business in Wickford RI which is very close to the water. The building had constant septic problems being so close to the water with no adequate place for a full leach field. They put the whole system in the basemant (big concrete chambers) The dispersion field is small and only a few feet from the water but what came out was clean enough so that is only needed a few feet (maybe 25 feet as I recall) to leach through the soil before reaching the cove. Testing proved the water out of the dispersion chamber was almost clean enough to drink.