Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
LadyJane

Default handy person needed

I need to find somebody to take away some "stuff" that is on a piece of land that I recently bought in Sandwich. I took ownership at the end of winter when there was a whole lot of snow still ( remember...last winter? ), so it was burried in snow. There are just some things that people must have dumped there: like a bed spring, coils of old barbed wire, some old windows. I would think that maybe one load in somebody's pick up truck would do it. Could I find somebody to help me with this? What is a fair price? Retired, living on a pension, so hoping not too bad. Any ideas? I'm asking late in the season...so...spring is ok.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
TomC

Default junk guy

i think you need more of a trash hauler/junk removal company than a handyman.

1-800-GOT-JUNK is one such company. a quick check of their site (www.1800gotjunk.com) shows they service the area and you can book an appointment right on-line.

I have never used them, nor have any affiliation with the company, i've just seen their trucks around (and they have an easily remembered name).
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
fatlazyless

...hi Lady Jane...I have a 13 year old, 206,000 mile, full sized Ford pickup w/ a Meredith transfer sticker and noth'n to do over the weekend.....give me a holler on the private message ....I'm in Meredith....and I work cheap....Ciou....
Old 12-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Another Unemployed looking for work

Have a pick up with hitch. Do you have a transfer sticker so I can haul your trash to your dump? I will be available after this weekend. Arriving Laconia from NC late Saturday night. Work for gas money and a home cook dinner!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
jmen24

One thing to remember when determining how much to charge is who is going to pay the fee for the contruction materials to be dumped (windows). Most transfer stations are going to charge to dispose of the windows or any other form of painted wood or building material that is not straight lumber or metal.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
fatlazyless

No doubt I'll end up losing money what with my business skills.....thanks for the tip.....will stop by Meredith Transfer to get a copy of their ala carte menu for specific charges for a matress disposal.....could be they have different rates depending; twin-full-queen-king....
Old 12-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
CGI3

Default Junk disposal

Last time I went to the transfre sation to drop off a mattress, they wanted me to seperate the cloth, cotton, and coil springs. I thought the guy was joking. I haul it back to my house, dragged it out to the back yard, tossed a match on the mattress, bingo! Took all of about 2 minutes, and let me tell you the heat was intense! I did the same thing with an old recliner, I was shocked at how fast, and hot it burned. I got to tell ya, if either one of the two caught fire in my home, the house would be fully engulfed within minutes. Pretty scary.
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
hoopdawg

why not make it easy

load up truck have ladyjane ride with you to dump , she pays at dump or it goes back to where you picked it up at !
hoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
...hi Lady Jane...I have a 13 year old, 206,000 mile, full sized Ford pickup w/ a Meredith transfer sticker and noth'n to do over the weekend.....give me a holler on the private message ....I'm in Meredith....and I work cheap....Ciou....

Don't take junk from Sandwich to the Meredith transfer station unless you want your fatlazyless picture put on the front page of the LDS.
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
Long Island Baba

Default Remove your stuff??

Good Neighbor Services can help you out. This is what we do! We are a small business operating out of Moultonborough handling weekly trash pick-up and recycling, household and yard cleanups as you describe, plus other services.

Give me a call and we can coordinate a visit. Our prices are very reasonable, especially for seniors. GNS is a registered and insured small business in good standing in NH with a staff of local folks who are covered by workers comp. In other words, legit!

Barbara, Owner/Operator, Good Neighbor Services. 603-253-4917.

Thank you for considering us and keeping it local.
Long Island Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Long Island Baba For This Useful Post:
acanthus (12-09-2009)
Old 12-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Don't take junk from Sandwich to the Meredith transfer station unless you want your fatlazyless picture put on the front page of the LDS.
....not sure if that's true or not about getting busted as a transfer tresspasser....so I phoned my attorney, Johnny Cochran....and he says as long as I haul the trash & debris in the local fire dept's aerial tower truck there's no violation...no way.....see here...
Old 12-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #12
ApS

Lightbulb "Exceptional Pickup"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJane View Post
"... Any ideas...?"
You might give the Town a call. Some communities have a "costfree-to-you" program called Exceptional Pickup for picking up items dumped by others on private property.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
LadyJane

Default thank you

Wow...thanks for all the wonderful replies !!
I do have a sticker for the Sandwich transfer station.
I'm thinking it would be best to hook up with somebody when I'm "in town"...
(never soon enough, never often enough) but probably within the month. But that way I can point out what needs to be hauled away and give payment for the services.
I appreciate the feedback on how things work.... there is metal stuff and those windows, but not really a whole lot.
For anybody who thinks they can help, my email is Ubestbuddy@aol.com and we can keep in touch. thank you !!!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #14
DRH

Wink Whew! That Was a REAL Long Distance Call!

Quote:
....not sure if that's true or not about getting busted as a transfer tresspasser....so I phoned my attorney, Johnny Cochran....and he says as long as I haul the trash & debris in the local fire dept's aerial tower truck there's no violation...no way.....see here...
Wow, I wonder what the long distance & roaming charges must have been for that call. Cochran's either in heaven or the other place but regardless, you must have racked up quite a toll charge!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
LadyJane

Default exceptional pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
You might give the Town a call. Some communities have a "costfree-to-you" program called Exceptional Pickup for picking up items dumped by others on private property.
Oh wow....I just noticed that. Worth checking into...thanks !!
Yes, it looks like the stuff was left there quite a long time ago. All rusty.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #16
fatlazyless

...hi again....am having mechanical problems with my old truck including the catylitic converter.....if this truck, a 1997 f-150, were just one year older then it would not be subject to the NH exhaust emissions standards......thankyou NH legislature.....will be in touch as soon as I figure out how to get it fixed for cheap...
Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #17
LadyJane

....if this truck, a 1997 f-150, were just one year older then it would not be subject to the NH exhaust emissions standards......

Good luck with your truck. Yeah....just went through some costly work on my car so it could meet emission standards. Thought of putting a smiley face sticker over the "service engine soon" light...but....guess that doesn't work when you go in for emission testing
Old 12-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #18
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default hey FLL

Quote:
...hi again....am having mechanical problems with my old truck including the catylitic converter.....if this truck, a 1997 f-150, were just one year older then it would not be subject to the NH exhaust emissions standards......thankyou NH legislature.....will be in touch as soon as I figure out how to get it fixed for cheap...
My 1998 Dodge Dakota with 243K miles would not pass emission test either. A retired mechanic told me to mix Marvel Mystery Oil in my gas and my oil. In a couple of tankful of gas, it should pass inspection. Sure enough! He was right! It even stop the smoking when I first start the truck.
Also there is a leak somewhere in the evaporative emission. The check engine light is on. Just before I go in for inspection, I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes. guess what? The inspection machine did not notice!

My Dad and my Grandfather swears by that stuff (MMO). During WWII the govt use to buy tons of that stuff and it is regularly used by the armed forces motor pool.

Give it a shot. Shop around and you should get a gallon of that stuff reasonably priced.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Thanks for the tip......I know all about Marvel Mystery Oil....it smells like peppermint and looks just like a very sweet red wine......helps keep the engine happy......but is a NO-GO if you use synthetic oil as the two will not blend. I usually toss a shot into the gas tank with every fillup.

So, disconnecting the battery should reset the 'check engine' light.........never knew that!

"Old pickup trucks never go away, they just become neighborhood eyesores!"
Old 12-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #20
TomC

Default many scanning machines know...

...the 'battery disconnect' trick. That throws a code of its own and can cause rejection. Depends on what machine the inspection station uses. so the light may go off, but you won't get your sticker
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #21
SIKSUKR

Default What Tom said

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
...the 'battery disconnect' trick. That throws a code of its own and can cause rejection. Depends on what machine the inspection station uses. so the light may go off, but you won't get your sticker
Most inspection stations have modern equipment that will still show that code even if your light goes out from disconnecting the battery. I found that out myself.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #22
robmac

What it shows is that the vehicle is not at readyness,what that means is that all of the self diagnostics tests have not been performed yet. It can take a couple of miles or key cycles to 100 miles depending on the vehicle. On an EVAP problem if you see a small leak which can be set by simply leaving the key on while the fuel cap is removed to lines leaking pressure a new gas cap is an easy approach to attempt a solution.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote