Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
lfm

Default Cottage tear down costs

We are finally considering purchasing a cottage. One of the candidates is in a great location, but is falling apart. I was wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark figure on what it might cost to tear down and remove the existing home. It is a ranch about 800 sq ft on a foundation. There is good access to the property.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
TheProfessor

A ballpark figure. $10,000.

But any of this is meaningless.
Depends on access.
Is house right off a paved road with a wide driveway? And not trees in the way. And not on any hill.

Call Ambrose Brothers in Meredith for an estimate. They just tore down a camp down the road from me.

But way before you tear down this house best to speak with local building inspector as to what you can build to replace.
All of the laws have changed.
Used to be you could build on the exact footprint. But I am not up on all of the changes.

Best to get all plans for new house approved by all agencies before you tear down.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
lfm (08-17-2014), Misha888 (08-19-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
DickR

Contact the local fire department and ask if they would be interested in burning it down as an exercise for area FD. Back in 1993, the property we used to own was used that way. I was away that weekend, but a neighbor shot a roll of color film of the morning's excitement. There were perhaps 5-6 FD represented, and they took turns going in to put down fires started in various places. There was even a fire boat on scene, and they took some shots from the water. After all the FD had their fun, they let the thing burn to the ground. I'm told a great number of boats anchored out front that morning to watch the show. The amount of remaining debris that had to be trucked out prior to the new build was minimal.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
lfm

Interesting idea. I wonder what my new neighbors would think. It's a very wooded area with houses on tw sides.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
Misha888

Default As TheProfessor stated . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfm View Post
We are finally considering purchasing a cottage. One of the candidates is in a great location, but is falling apart. I was wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark figure on what it might cost to tear down and remove the existing home. It is a ranch about 800 sq ft on a foundation. There is good access to the property.
go to the town first. Your realtor might be able to help you navigate the process . . . but I wouldn't completely rely on their 'knowledge'. The land use is getting pretty restrictive. I have a client who had to cut a 2' corner out of their addition when they built it because it was not within the set-backs even though the neighbor approved the variance.

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Agree with Misha88

It took about a year of regulatory BS and necessary approvals from the town and state just to tear down a structure that is within 50 feet of the lake in Tuftonboro. The necessary precaution for hazard and silts etc. during the teardown almost cost the same as the actual teardown!

Definitely hire a knowledgeable project manager. Realtors knows nothing about the process and are only in for the buck. My buddy took that from experience!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Dad sold the C * C

Default I agree with BroadHopper and Misha888

Try to work with the town or get and engineer involved. This is not always easy before you buy, with time constraints. We had an issue with the septic and took the risk of having the design done before we closed. do not go only by a Realator's advice.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

We tore a house down in '09 (?) just before the Shoreland's Protection Act went into effect and it wasn't too bad. The guy who tore it down got all the permits for us. I think it cost about $10,000. We had to have a survey, I remember that. Actually we tore down two others that same year and I don't remember them having a hassle. It probably got much more complicated after the SPA came into effect.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
lfm

Is it simpler if the property is not direct waterfront? It across the road, and there is another property/house between the cottage and the waterfront.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I would imagine it is simpler if it is 250' from the lake. Then you don't have to go by the SPA rules.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
lfm (08-19-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
Onshore

Actually you can tear a building down to the sills, replace it with one that has the same footprint and not need a Shoreland Impact Permit from the State. If you have incidental ground disturbance of 1,500 sq. ft. or less you can file a Shoreland Permit by notification to cover those. The Notifications have a turnaround time of less than 5 business days. If you have further questions feel free to send a private message or call our office at 603-271-2147.

D. Forst
Shoreland Section Supervisor
NH DES Land Resource Management Programs
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
Lakepilot (08-20-2014), lfm (08-20-2014)