Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
dewitt

Default Pop's Clam Shack

Went to Pop's Monday with guests in a rented 26' pontoon to get clams, showed up to read a sign saying they were out of clams. I know you need to watch perishable inventory but your name is clam shack and it was 4th of July weekend. We did survive with the fish and chips though and the cooler was full of adult beverages.
dewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewitt View Post
Went to Pop's Monday with guests in a rented 26' pontoon to get clams, showed up to read a sign saying they were out of clams. I know you need to watch perishable inventory but your name is clam shack and it was 4th of July weekend. We did survive with the fish and chips though and the cooler was full of adult beverages.
Oh Yes, I feel your pain and by the way, all the way from Dallas/Fort Worth TX....
I refuse however to hear about anything negatory about my PoP's.
Has always been a Classic here in the Lakes Region....
If the problem is not corrected before your next visit, Hey, i think that you may be outnumbered here....

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
mike ray

Default red tide

with all the rain we have been having, it has caused a major problem with the clam beds in mass.(thats the excuse we were given) for the past 3 weeks it has been very difficult to get clams, and the price per bushel has gone way up. we have had clams at the pound, but they have been very hard to find and unfortunately we had to raise our prices.
I feel for them at the clam shack, and for you guys. you always want to put out the best quality seafood available, so nobody gets sick. but when your the customer, and you are craving some nice fresh clams, nothing but clams will satisfy that craving. mother nature can be a real bi...
mike ray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike ray For This Useful Post:
moose tracks (07-11-2009)
Old 07-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
pops

Default sorry for not having clams.

Hello
I would like to introduce myself. I am the owner/operator of pop's clam shell. I have been a viewer of this forum for a few years but never responded until now.
First and foremost I would like to say sorry to dewitt for not having the clams he was craving. Next time you come by introduce yourself and your meal is "on the house".
Now for the excuse as to why we were out of clams.
We were only out for three hours. The Ipswich truck showed up at 3:00 pm.
We went through 27 gallons of clams since friday 7/3. We litteraly had no refrigeration space to store anymore. One of the things I have noticed is most people do not realize how hard clams can be to get this time of year and also the cost of them. I had clams delivered on Sunday 7/5 by a small local dealer for $130 a gallon. figuring it would be enough to get me through till monday afternoon when Ipswich shows up. but we had an extreemly busy Sunday and used them all up. Believe me I don't like running out of clams either it hurts business when it happens.
I hope you accept my appology an give us a chance to make it up to you.

Than You
Pop's
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pops For This Useful Post:
BrownEyedGirl (07-11-2009), hazelnut (07-12-2009), mcdude (07-09-2009), moose tracks (07-11-2009), robmac (07-09-2009), Ropetow (07-09-2009), Waterbaby (07-11-2009), Whimsey (07-09-2009), Winni P (07-09-2009)
Old 07-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
BlackCatIslander

Default Where is Pop's located?

I have never heard of Pop's and I love fried clams. I presume that it must near Alton Bay. Where is it?
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
billhurley

Pops is in Alton bay across from the town docks.

They have my favorite onion rings on the lake.
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Seeker

I will have to try them to compare with the Clam Box and Woodman's which I don't get to anymore. Was by there on Wednesday of motorcycle week but they looked closed to me that day.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
robmac

Woodmans opened a second location in Litchfield at the go-cart/batting cage place. Food is still great went by yesterday.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
ironhorsetim

Talking run dewitt run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops View Post
First and foremost I would like to say sorry to dewitt for not having the clams he was craving. Next time you come by introduce yourself and your meal is "on the house".
First one there wins..I can see everyone running to pop's for a free clam plate. will the real dewitt please stand up
On a serious note I would say Pop's has some of the best clams around and I can see where they could run out

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up Delicious seafood!

Delicious seafood and onion rings!!!

Welcome to the Forum Pops!
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
robmac (07-09-2009), sa meredith (07-09-2009), Waterbaby (07-11-2009)
Old 07-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
dewitt

Pops,

Thanks for the offer but the kids enjoyed the fish and chips, so as long as they are happy I'm happy. Just so you know I went over to get my clam fix at Shibley"s and they ran out too. I'll be back in August to enjoy your wonderful establishment. Hope it gets hot.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
Water Camper

Default The Missing Clams

Monday we took a boat ride from Paugus Bay down to Alton Bay specifically for some clams at Pops. We must have showed up during the 3 hour span they were out. We decided to order Fish and Chips and a side of Scallops instead. Devastating !
Honestly, the Fish and Scallops were Great. Just means we have to go back for another Boat Ride and Clams.

Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
jrc

Pop's my favorite fish place on the lake. The meals seem a little bit bigger this year but we had haddock and shrimp could not finish them all.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
Steveo

Quote:
Hello
I would like to introduce myself. I am the owner/operator of pop's clam shell. I have been a viewer of this forum for a few years but never responded until now.
Now for the excuse as to why we were out of clams.
We were only out for three hours. The Ipswich truck showed up at 3:00 pm.
We went through 27 gallons of clams since friday 7/3. We litteraly had no refrigeration space to store anymore. One of the things I have noticed is most people do not realize how hard clams can be to get this time of year and also the cost of them. I had clams delivered on Sunday 7/5 by a small local dealer for $130 a gallon. figuring it would be enough to get me through till monday afternoon when Ipswich shows up. but we had an extreemly busy Sunday and used them all up. Believe me I don't like running out of clams either it hurts business when it happens.
I hope you accept my appology an give us a chance to make it up to you.

Than You
Pop's
So how many guys have shown up claiming to be Dewitt?
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
So how many guys have shown up claiming to be Dewitt?
Not too many, I was only the 6th of the day.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Credit Cards.

Last year, Pop's will not accept credit cards. They had an ATM located in the Dining room. I went to use the ATM and it was empty! It was pretty embarrassing, as I had ordered a lot of food for me and my daughter's family. Since I came by boat, driving to the nearest bank was not an option. I had to wait until the owner or manager came to the restuarant to fill the ATM. Meanwhile the food got cold.

So make sure you bring plenty of cash.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #17
Argie's Wife

Since those credit card companies charge the merchant a fee to process a transaction, I'd rather pay cash if it means my cost will be kept down.

Pop's is a great little place and we love going there from time-to-time. We've been there before when they were out of clams but fondly refer to the place as "Pop's Shell" when that happens...

It's all good!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
It's all good!
....and your dining experience can only be enhanced if you enjoy your food in the adjacent "Flipper Room". Those of you who have dined there will agree that there's no other place quite like it!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #19
nj2nh

I have to comment here about Pop's. We had been going since I was in diapers, but we don't eat there anymore. So many reasons. First, it is outrageously expensive even for something as simple as a burger and fries. Secondly, I have serious doubts about it's cleanliness. The last time we dared eat there, we were standing under the overhang while hundreds of spiders lurked over our heads. It was terrifying and disgusting. That was many years ago and we haven't braved it since.

Also, both of my kids got sick there. It wasn't just a coincidence. Food poisoning all the way.

Sorry to burst bubbles. There onion rings are really the best, but not worth the aggravation.

nj2nh
Old 07-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #20
trfour

Default "Yikes, nj2nh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
I have to comment here about Pop's. We had been going since I was in diapers, but we don't eat there anymore. So many reasons. First, it is outrageously expensive even for something as simple as a burger and fries. Secondly, I have serious doubts about it's cleanliness. The last time we dared eat there, we were standing under the overhang while hundreds of spiders lurked over our heads. It was terrifying and disgusting. That was many years ago and we haven't braved it since.

Also, both of my kids got sick there. It wasn't just a coincidence. Food poisoning all the way.

Sorry to burst bubbles. There onion rings are really the best, but not worth the aggravation.

nj2nh
In my 14 and some years living here, and someore, I never heard tell of, and all of my Family and friends as well, never heard that about that of which you are speaking. Well, and if this realy happened, I hope that you at least wrote them about it?

Hey, in your case, I'm not trying to say that what you said, didn't happen,
Let us see if they can defend themselves!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 07-11-2009, 05:39 AM   #21
pops

Default pops response

nj2nh
Sorry you had a bad experience with us. I remember the problem with the spiders a few years ago. Just to explain to the rest of the board. This is in an outdoor enviroment. we were informed about it by a customer , we sprayed and the problem was taken care of. We did not realize this was a problem as the spiders would come out at night as they were attracted by the flourescent lighting. As far as us being expensive....we do have high priced seafood items on our menu but I think we are in line with the other seafood places that are near us. most everything that comes from the sea is expensive. It is expensive on my end. I just wrote a check yesterday to ipswich shellfish for $6400. We do have reasonably priced items on our menu though, and I would consider a burger@$2.45 and a fry@$2.50 to be some of them.Remember.."good seafood is never cheap" and "cheap seafood is never good".
I am sorry your kids were sick. I have raised three kids of my own and know that no parent enjoys seeing their child ill. I also learned that kids will put anything in their mouths from dirty fingers to something they found on the ground.I doubt it was caused by anything they ate at my place. Did you go to the doctors and get a proven diagnosis?
Most people do not realize that their home kitchen harbors far more bacteria than most commercial kitchens.
Our kitchen is inspected by the stat of NH. Is yours? All of our equipment is NSF listed. Is yours? All of our food contact surfaces are saintized nightly. Is yours? I have a certificate in sanitation from he National Restaurant Assoc. Do you? We scored a 100 on our health inspection last year and I have a copy if you would like to see it. My health inspector eats at my place also.
I find it odd that you would take the time to post here about your childrens sickness but would not take the time to report it to the state.

I am sorry for being so defensive about this but I am not going to let an unproven allegations be made with out defending myself!
Pops

Last edited by pops; 07-11-2009 at 07:35 AM.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pops For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-12-2009), goodriddancex3x3 (08-16-2009), granitebox (07-12-2009), Ropetow (07-12-2009), SIKSUKR (07-13-2009), Waterbaby (07-11-2009)
Old 07-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #22
dewitt

Pops,

Just read that they closed all of Maine clam flats. I hope and wish you well during this trying time. Have visited many outdoor establishments and of course you are going to see bugs, sea gulls, geese, etc. Also, if you don't want to experience the great roadside drive-ins then those people should go to the franchises. I'm sure they are clean. (doubt it)
The Following User Says Thank You to dewitt For This Useful Post:
Ropetow (07-12-2009)
Old 07-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #23
codeman671

We have always been a fan of Pop's however had a lousy meal yesterday. The seafood platter was ALL french fries and cole slaw, the clams seemed more like strips than whole clams, there was 2 full size shrimp instead of the pile of minis that you usually get, and probably 3 scallops on the whole plate. The overall amount of food was nothing like it normally is. We ate through it so quickly (the seafood part that is, nobody could ever eat that many fries) and were still hungry so I ordered a side of scallops. The bottom of the boat that it came in was all watery but they tasted OK. It was like pulling teeth to get extra tartar sauce, they gave me 2 for a platter. I asked for more, I got one more thimbell sized cup. I asked again, she finally filled one of the small boats that they usually do but it was like I was asking for the world. We did use it, its not like it went in the can.

In the end, we dropped $64 for counter service takeout for 2 adults and 2 small children. I ended up with an empty wallet and a nasty stomach ache about 2 hours after which I have not gotten there before. I have been a fan before and have recommended people to Pop's in the past however it will be a while before I go back. We used to go every Friday night on the way up, we will be skipping it for a while.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #24
EricP

Quote:
nj2nh
I am sorry for being so defensive about this but I am not going to let an unproven allegations be made with out defending myself!
Pops
It's quite alright to get a little defensive, just be careful. It's so easy to get caught up and make things personal. You can't, it does more damage than good. My advice is to acknowledge negative posts minimally, just address the concern peacefully, then go to the restaurant and make changes that will benefit you and the customers and filter back out to the masses in a positive light. It can really hurt to read a negative post about your business that you spend so much time and money building, but lashing out won't fix it. Kill 'em with kindness

FWIW, I personally think that seafood platters should be smaller and sell for less, I hate that most seem to be around $25 and I'd rather spend $15 on one and have less food, as I usually never finish the fries anyway. This is not a comment about Pops platters, I have actually never been there. Just general banter on my part.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EricP For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-11-2009), Newbiesaukee (07-11-2009), wifi (07-11-2009)
Old 07-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #25
BrownEyedGirl

Wink Can't make everyone happy

Can't make everyone happy is what comes into play here. For the most part seems like Pops has a great business and a good following. I have never been myself but a good friend of mine and her husband go there about three times a week! They are obsessed! They rave about the place and they are very picky eaters, but like I said, I've never been so...I wish you luck Pops and I hope you have a great summer. Seafood can be very difficult to purchase, hold and sell. I also have noted that some can be sensitive to the actual frying or batter than the seafood, especially clams and scallops. Might have been the reason for your belly ache. The oil from the fryolator, tartar sauce, ketchup...sometimes makes me a little queasy too, especially on a hot day.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #26
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Most food poisoning has a long incubation period......most likely the kids caught something from their friends or family. It's not fair to accuse someone of making your kids sick unless you have proof. Go to a doctor and get a diagnosis before you trash someones reputation.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #27
Newbiesaukee

Default Samiam, agree with your post but,

staph food poisoning (the kind usually associated with leaving the tuna salad with mayonnaise out too long) is caused by a toxin formed by the bacteria and the symptoms can occur within 30 minutes. It is not subtle. But most things people label as food poisoning are not and most commercial kitchens are safer than most homes with respect to food handling practices.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #28
trfour

Default I Hear Ya Sam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Most food poisoning has a long incubation period......most likely the kids caught something from their friends or family.It's not fair to accuse someone of making your kids sick unless you have proof.Go to a doctor and get a diagnosis before you trash someones reputation.
Hey.... In my 20 + years here, I have eaten in places that are not even in the phone book, and not once have I ever been sickened by the food.... Now, I don't know if I have a cast iron stomach, or maybe that afternoon time, I would have a beer while I waited for my meal and maybe another afterwords.

And, by the way, this includes my own cooking!

However, I will admit that I called into work sick on occasion, and used food poisoning as an excuse!.... Oh and ya, I just wanted to play hooky so as to spend some more quality time out here at www.winnipesaukee.com

T

Old 07-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #29
SAMIAM

True, Newbiesaukee, Staphylococcus is the only one of the 10 common foodborne illness' that comes on fairly rapidly.....you must have some food biz in your background. The reason I get testy when someone makes that accusation is that, usually it is not true. Most people eat 3 times a day and whenever they come down with something they seem to want to blame it on the last place that they ate.
It's the single biggest fear that most operators have and most of us go to extremes to avoid it. Most, bleach work surfaces after each job,s end employees to SevSafe school, wear gloves when handling prepared foods and in our case, all emplyees must wash hands twice after using a restroom. Once in the restroom and once again in the kitchen before returning to work (doorknobs and towel dispensers have germs)
Also, I hate to praise anyone in government, but the NH Dept of Health does a fantastic job. They are TOUGH. Just when you think you'll get 100 points, they manage to find something and it's not really a bad thing. Keeps everyone on their toes. Don't mean to ramble on.....just want to let everyone know that, although there are exceptions,most food service establishments are very clean and safe.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #30
Happy Gourmand

Default Right on Samiam

I once was "dinged" for dirty sliding door tracks on a soda cooler. They are tough but fair. The way it should be.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #31
Heaven

As to the price of the regular items, I had a fish sandwich w/all the trimmings and soda for lunch today with change back from seven bucks. That is very fair IMHO, I had a choice of quite a few items in my price range. The only BAD part is that I didn't have enough left over for some of that delicious Shane's of Maine ice cream : ), , , ,
speaking of ice cream, there is a lot written about Johnson's and the size of the ice cream servings on another thread, and I have to say that I no longer go there because I can't get a regular size ice cream cone. The "kiddie cone" is enormus, like three or four scoops, , , really unnessesary. quality over quantity for me.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #32
fodalo

Smile Fried Seafood Clams Lobster connection

One of the favorites on our way in or way home is just over the Winnisqaum bridge,Lobster connection, fresh seafood great taste and worth the ride for us Winnipesaukee lakers.
fodalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #33
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fodalo View Post
One of the favorites on our way in or way home is just over the Winnisqaum bridge,Lobster connection, fresh seafood great taste and worth the ride for us Winnipesaukee lakers.
Been there quite a few times, echo your comments. Best to call ahead to make sure your order is reserved, they frequently sell out.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #34
nj2nh

Well, I was certainly sufficiently trashed on this thread about my comments about my kids getting sick on Pop's food. Let me just say this. There were 9 of us there that night - kids and adults. Only my kids got sick. They both had the same thing and no one else had it. We didn't know anyone with a stomach virus. My kids never get stomach viruses anyway. No one else caught anything from either of them and all those kids had been all over each other for days.

So, what conclusion would you draw? Oh, and my dad, the doctor, was there and HE said it was food poisoning. Okay?

And next time someone calls a story into question (like the spiders - would anyone make that up?), why don't you wait a bit and see if the story proves to be true - the owner honestly admitted it. I completely appreciated that.

But we still won't go back. The spider thing totally creeped us out. The food poisoning I can get passed - that could happen to anyone anytime anywhere.

nj2nh

P.S. This is the first time ever that I have said anything bad about a restaurant. My tolerance is high.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #35
SAMIAM

So, what conclusion would you draw? Oh, and my dad, the doctor, was there and HE said it was food poisoning. Okay?

Your dad,the doctor,diagnosed food poisoning on the way back in the car? Did he draw any blood? collect any urine samples? Do an MRI?....maybe a CAT scan?..........
Sorry,nj2nh.....sounds like a bunch of bull*@&% to me.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #36
Newbiesaukee

Sometimes it is better to just let things alone. I also happen to be a doctor and it really isn't possible to be certain of the correct diagnosis in the situation that you have described. Just let it go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
dpg (08-11-2009), robmac (08-11-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #37
SAMIAM

You're right,newbiesaukee.Not much is gained by these exchanges.I usually like to post on a positive note.....but this is the one subject that pushes my button.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #38
fatlazyless

Here's my story, it's sad but true, all about a fruit that everyone eats.

Long story short. got sick as a sick dog about a month ago from eating green seedless grapes purchased in a supermarket for 1.59/lb on sale. Woke up at 3am and was puking yucky green grape stuff for two hours. After that episode, it took maybe three days for my stomach to get back to normal.

Did I wash the grapes first? No, I did not and ate them on the drive home at 9pm, about 1/2-lb, five hours prior to mega-throw-ups-ville..

Salmonella, unwashed grape insecicide, what the heck(?)......what's the diagnosis ? ........ last time I got that sick was the last time I ever ate raw oysters or any shellfish what-so-ever way back in May 1973 in Hyannis................yuck!.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #39
dpg

Please excuse my ignorance but what's the best way to Pops from say Moultonborough?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #40
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but what's the best way to Pops from say Moultonborough?
The best way for us MBoroughites is by boat! By car or bike it is on the opposite side of the lake, but with that nice new asphalt I would go via Wolfeboro.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #41
hazelnut

Quote:
Swim!

Seriously though the BEST way is by boat to Alton Bay. The second best way is by car to Alton Bay.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #42
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Our favorite way is by boat. The public dock is right across the street. We get our order and float in the bay enjoying the clams and onion rings.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #43
goodriddancex3x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
We have always been a fan of Pop's however had a lousy meal yesterday. The seafood platter was ALL french fries and cole slaw, the clams seemed more like strips than whole clams, there was 2 full size shrimp instead of the pile of minis that you usually get, and probably 3 scallops on the whole plate. The overall amount of food was nothing like it normally is. We ate through it so quickly (the seafood part that is, nobody could ever eat that many fries) and were still hungry so I ordered a side of scallops. The bottom of the boat that it came in was all watery but they tasted OK. It was like pulling teeth to get extra tartar sauce, they gave me 2 for a platter. I asked for more, I got one more thimbell sized cup. I asked again, she finally filled one of the small boats that they usually do but it was like I was asking for the world. We did use it, its not like it went in the can.

In the end, we dropped $64 for counter service takeout for 2 adults and 2 small children. I ended up with an empty wallet and a nasty stomach ache about 2 hours after which I have not gotten there before. I have been a fan before and have recommended people to Pop's in the past however it will be a while before I go back. We used to go every Friday night on the way up, we will be skipping it for a while.
Seafood plates never have baby shrimp.
goodriddancex3x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #44
goodriddancex3x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post

I would just like to say that as an employee at Pop's Clam Shell, I spend an equal amount of time cleaning as I do preparing food. You can imagine that as we are usually very busy, a lot of cleaning and sanitizing is done. At night we spend about 45 minutes sanitizing all of our surfaces and supplies thoroughly, as we also do throughout the day. Nothing is left untouched. We received a one hundred on our health inspection this past year. Often times our health inspector even eats at our restaurant. You shouldn't be so quick to blame your child's illness on our food.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #45
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Thumbs down Ooooooops on your part

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodriddancex3x3 View Post
I would just like to say that as an employee at Pop's Clam Shell, I spend an equal amount of time cleaning as I do preparing food. You can imagine that as we are usually very busy, a lot of cleaning and sanitizing is done. At night we spend about 45 minutes sanitizing all of our surfaces and supplies thoroughly, as we also do throughout the day. Nothing is left untouched. We received a one hundred on our health inspection this past year. Often times our health inspector even eats at our restaurant. You shouldn't be so quick to blame your child's illness on our food.
In a case like this (codeman's post), it would be far better to have "Pops" respond rather than an employee.

I understand and commend your loyalty, but perhaps the better course of action would have been to let Pops know of the negative comment, and let him respond here in public, or by email/message to the poster.

Just my opinion.
Waterbaby (08-19-2009)
Old 08-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #46
pianoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
In a case like this (codeman's post), it would be far better to have "Pops" respond rather than an employee.

I understand and commend your loyalty, but perhaps the better course of action would have been to let Pops know of the negative comment, and let him respond here in public, or by email/message to the poster.

Just my opinion.
Geeze...do you REALLY think 'goodrid" was expressing loyalty? It sounds exactly like they were describing their daily routine and rules of the business.
pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #47
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default it did to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
Geeze...do you REALLY think 'goodrid" was expressing loyalty? It sounds exactly like they were describing their daily routine and rules of the business.
I felt like he/she were standing up for the business, in my opinion, and most importantly, felt like he/she should have left the response to Pops.

Nuff said.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #48
Newbiesaukee

I've never been to Pop's, but I thought the points made by the employee (who identified him/herself as such) were relevant and honest and the reader can draw his/her own conclusion. Also, much earlier in the thread Pops did respond to comments and I do not see much he can add.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (08-17-2009), ironhorsetim (08-17-2009)
Old 08-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #49
goodriddancex3x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

Just my opinion.
Pop's did take the better course of action and respond to the comment earlier in the thread.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #50
fpartri497

Default pops clam shell

wife and I ate at pops last night had scallop plates and It was delicious. have been eating there for many years allways great food.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #51
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodriddancex3x3 View Post
Pop's did take the better course of action and respond to the comment earlier in the thread.
Personally I recommend you just let it go, you have nothing to prove. You can't please 100% of the people all of the time. Certanly sounds like Pops has enough of a following, you won't win a battle back and forth at the key board. Just keep doing what it is you do everyday at work...That's all.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
robmac (08-21-2009)
Old 08-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #52
Happy Gourmand

Thumbs up Ate at Pop's yesterday

Who wants to cook with this heat and humidity upon us?
We went for a ride yesterday, if for nothing else to enjoy the air conditioned comfort of the car...I won't say that I don't like this weather, but I will say that I hate it!
It was my intention to make the complete lake tour, but we didn't make it past Wolfeboro where my wife and her sister insist that I let them out do do some local shopping. Wolfebore was packed, cars and people all over the place...I hope the stores are having a good season.
So they get back from their mission to deplete the balance in my debit account and announce that they would like some fried seafood for lunch. Not being too familiar with Wolfeboro restaurants, I decided to backtrack through Alton Bay and head to Pop's. We passed the Front Porch on our way to and from Wolfeboro and was wondering how the food was there....but I was determined to try Pop's.
We arrive about 12:30 and there is no line, but a couple of people are ahead of us. We check out the menu....sis-in law wants the clam plate at $22.95, wife wants the jumbo fried shrimp at $18.95 and I want the clam and scallop plate at $22.95. Sounds pretty steep to me....but wait just a minute....
My wife raved about the fried shrimp, I agreed with her sister that the clams were as good as any I have had, and the scallops (large sea scallops) were also as good as any I have ever had.
The portions were HUGE...much more than any one person could comfortably eat. I didn't care too much for the cole slaw...not saying it was bad, just not to my personal liking, besides, there was way too much other "good stuff" on the platter to enjoy. And I did enjoy.
If you go...I recommend that you do what the couple in front of us did....
(obviously repeat customers) order ONE platter and an order of onion rings and share it. More than enough of some of the best fried seafood in the area. The onion rings looked really good. I will try them the next time we go.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
RI Swamp Yankee (08-23-2009), twoplustwo (08-23-2009)
Old 08-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #53
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Fri and Sat were sidewalk days in Wolfeboro, so it was mobbed most of the time.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #54
RI Swamp Yankee

I haven't been to Pop's in a long time but I do remember some really great onion rings from there.