Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Waterbaby

Default Suspicious Death in Wolfeboro

Just saw this on the news.............

http://www.wmur.com/news/19422286/detail.html
Old 05-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Yes, I tried to post it earlier, but for the life of me couldn't remember how to start a new thread! I knew if I didn't post certain people would feel those of us on this side of the lake had let them down again!
Anyway, she was the nurse at Carpenter School, (grades one through 3) a very nice, well liked lady. She has five kids and I feel so sorry for those kids. Their lives are surely going to change. She was divorced. The rest is all rumor so will wait til more is out.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
Skip

Post More details....

A few more details, plus the deceased's identity, can be read this morning at the Union Leader HERE.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
Grant

As I was heading into Wolfeboro for something to grill yesterday afternoon, I noticed three police cruisers and an SUV in front of that house, which was surrounded with crime scene tape, and a number of law enforcement officers talking at the base of the driveway (one was apparently a detective, in a suit, with shield hanging from suit pocket).

Early this morning (Monday) a State Trooper was stationed at the bottom of the driveway, and a WMUR satellite van was out in front of the Wolfeboro police station. So I picked up a copy of the Citizen and read the news.

The latest is that she died of stab wounds. Still no arrest. Mother of five, and reportedly well-liked in the community. Tragic and sad. Let's hope they nail the perp ASAP.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
tomboymom

Default God Bless....

Stacey Burns. Friend, Super-Mom, School Nurse and generous communty member.

To know her...even a bit...was to love her. Her loss is a tragedy that will echo here for many years. Longer for her 5 beloved children.

That smile, that throaty laugh, that ever optomistic attitude and 100% love and enthusiasm for all children.

Our hearts are heavy.
tomboymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
Coolbreeze

I hope justice prevails swiftly and those involved in the loss of this life get their due; and without the media frenzy. Those kids don't need anymore grief in their lives.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboymom View Post
Stacey Burns. Friend, Super-Mom, School Nurse and generous communty member.

To know her...even a bit...was to love her. Her loss is a tragedy that will echo here for many years. Longer for her 5 beloved children.

That smile, that throaty laugh, that ever optomistic attitude and 100% love and enthusiasm for all children.

Our hearts are heavy.
I never knew her, I recognized the house on the news (having spent many summers at the end of Lake Street in Wolfeboro) -- my heart and prayers go out to you, her friends and family, and most especially her children. What an awful thing, on Mother's Day in particular.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
codeman671

There are lots of rumors floating around in Wolfeboro right now pertaining to the Police and their reactions that morning prior to the incident. It will be interesting to see what really shakes out.

An awful tragedy indeed. Those poor kids...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
NHDOLFAN

I am curious to what rumors you have heard regarding police reaction.
NHDOLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
tis

Codeman, that is interesting. I have heard so many rumors it seems one a minute, things like who was there , how they found her, how she looked, what she and the kids had been doing the night before, suspects etc. but NONE about the police handling of the situation.
I am not sure I have ever seen as many cars and people at the police station as there were that afternoon when they were questioning people. I thought maybe they were waiting for news and later found out they were being questioned. So it LOOKED like the police were doing their job.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
tis

I was called and asked to post the following: ( Someone has since said that if you can drop it off in person, it would be best, but if you need to mail a donation to the bank, call the bank in Wolfeboro first to see where to mail it. There are some mailing issues.) If you don't live in Wolfeboro, you can leave it at any Citizens Bank just specify that it is for the Carpenter/Crescent Lake PTO Burns Family Donation Fund.

The Carpenter/Crescent Lake School PTO has set up the Carpenter/Crescent Lake School PTO Burns Family Donation Fund at Citizens Bank in Wolfeboro. This fund is to benefit the Burns family children. For those who wish to donate, please do so at Citizens Bank in Wolfeboro.

Please pass this on, and post on your blogs and forums.

Thank you for helping to bring our community together in a time of crisis.

Deanna Cayon
Kelly Demain
Carpenter/Crescent Lake School PTO Co-Presidents

Last edited by tis; 05-13-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
codeman671

The stories I heard were pertaining to the PD actions prior to, not after.

I am not one to spread rumors, but a bit of what I heard was that it was an ex-boyfriend with psych issues that she just broke up with that morning. He was hanging out in front of the house acting suspicious. Calls had been made to the PD to make him go away but they did not respond since there was no restraining order. Multiple calls had been placed as he got closer to the house and tried to get in with little or no response from the PD. He entered the house through an open back door and killed her. She was found by a 14 year old child.

Again, I don't know the truth behind it but if it is i can't imagine this would not look good for the PD. I hope this story is not true, yet then again no matter how it was different the outcome is still horrific.

In Wolfeboro???
Old 05-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
secondcurve

Is the suspect in custody?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
LakesRegionSpirit

As a former journalist in the area, I think there needs to be great care taken in providing "information" based on "rumors." Much more goes on in the processing of these events than most could ever imagine.
If for no other reason than out of respect for the family and friends.
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

She should have had a Home Defense shot gun. No police needed.
I have two in my home. I have to wonder why the door was left open, if true.
I mean if several calls were made that the guy was trying to get in, that any door was not bolted shut, especially with kids inside. And if several calls were made by neighbors, did no one in the neighborhood take this guy on themselves. That just pisses me off.

If neighbors had actually called, and this rumor is true, and the cops never showed, then someone should have simply blocked main street with their car until the cops did show up. People need to stand up and help their neighbors.
Maybe that woman might still be alive.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #16
old coot
Deceased Member

Default Warning!!!!!!

Don't try mailing your donation to the Citizen's Bank in Wolfeboro - they simply won't get it. Instead hand deliver your donation or call the Citizen's Bank Office in Wolfeboro for instructions. (603) 569-1221.
Anything mailed to them goes to the dead letter office and eventually is returned to the sender!!!
oc
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #17
tis

I believe her door was almost always open. She was a very warm, open person and her house was always open to the kids and her friends. They went in and out. I don't think that's true that she had just broken up with that guy that morning codeman. I heard she had been going out with someone else for a short while. But she had been dating him previously and they had broken up and I heard she had seen him the night before. Again, rumors. I even hesitate to say that -as who knows which stories are true.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #18
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I don't think that's true that she had just broken up with that guy that morning codeman. I heard she had been going out with someone else for a short while. But she had been dating him previously and they had broken up and I heard she had seen him the night before. Again, rumors. I even hesitate to say that -as who knows which stories are true.
No clue, as mentioned it was a rumor. That is why I was skeptical to even post it. I don't know any of the parties involved, just someone that lives local to her which is where it came from.

The calls came from her as I heard, not a neighbor.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #19
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
She should have had a Home Defense shot gun. No police needed.
I have two in my home. I have to wonder why the door was left open, if true.
I mean if several calls were made that the guy was trying to get in, that any door was not bolted shut, especially with kids inside. And if several calls were made by neighbors, did no one in the neighborhood take this guy on themselves. That just pisses me off.

If neighbors had actually called, and this rumor is true, and the cops never showed, then someone should have simply blocked main street with their car until the cops did show up. People need to stand up and help their neighbors.
Maybe that woman might still be alive.
This is a serious thing to involve yourself in and most people would not. I mean I might call the police on her behalf and talk with them but approach someone, I'm just not sure. There are some strange people out there capable of anything. I own firearms also and shooting someone almost never ends up with an outcome to your benefit. It's easy to talk about what should of been done now after the fact. Personally I feel IF the police were called and told about someone hanging out they should respond. I mean come were they just too busy?? More tax dollars at its best.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:35 AM   #20
wifi

Default Duty to respond

Not taking sides, just some interesting reading for the curious. Google will yield many more results:

http://psacake.com/dial_911.asp

http://www.franconianh.org/app/image..._statement.pdf
In particular to the above: "The court stated that the town has no affirmative duty to respond to any complaint of a citizen pursuant to RSA 91-A"

aahhheeemmm...
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #21
fatlazyless

Yeah, too bad I wasn't there. I would-a rolled a nice thick, sticky coat of Benjamin Moore grey oil paint, all across his eyes, just so's he couldn't see anything. And then he would a-got covered with all black flies and no-see-ums, too!

Seems like people can take themselves right up to the edge of the cliff with their money troubles, and then powered up by a few beers or liquor, they jump off the edge thinking they just do not care, or possibly they are just not thinking, and go do something they know is wrong.

Her death has got to be one of the saddest events ever to hit Wolfeboro.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-15-2009 at 05:29 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #22
Happy Gourmand

Default Here we go again....

Postulating and assessing blame based on speculation and rumors. Lacking any substantial facts, I feel that the only appropriate comments should be directed towards sympathy for this tragic incident and concern and support for family and friends of the deceased.
Respect and consideration for the family should prevail at this point.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #23
fatlazyless

Today's Laconia Citizen has a lengthy article, "Divorce records show slain woman's troubled union", by John Quinn, on page B4. Don't know if it is in the www.citizen.com website, plus my links never-ever seem to work.

Good, well researched article and worth the 50 cents, too!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-14-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #24
gokart-mozart

Default Murder Mystery

There are so many rumors around town now it's hard to keep track of them. It IS quite interesting, however, that the obvious suspect (the ex husband) has not been arrested - there must be a reason or reasons to hold off on doing that.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #25
SIKSUKR

After reading that Citizen article, Ed Burns sounds like quite a guy.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #26
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
...from the Wolfeboro rumor mill department...that other forum in Wolfeboro has some posts referring to a 'she' suspect which would be a shocker.........difficult to believe?
Here is the problem with rumor mills..... they are just rumors..... why can't people just wait for actuall details to be released.....
Old 05-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #27
ApS

Look at what already been officially released:

1) The police say there is NO DANGER to the public.

2) and NO NAME has been released.

Logically, there's only one circumstance that fits that equation that can't be based on a rumor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
After reading that Citizen article, Ed Burns sounds like quite a guy.
The article reads as though the media have gone through records of the Burns' divorce proceedings. Typical. There's probably more "style" than "substance" to it.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #28
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
The article reads as though the media have gone through records of the Burns' divorce proceedings. Typical. There's probably more "style" than "substance" to it.
Yes, statements of parties, friends, and family members in divorce cases should NOT be deemed as reliable sources of information.

People undergoing a bitter, contested divorce have the opportunity, the motive, and the forum to lie through their teeth about their divorcing spouse, and as their hearts are "broken" at the time, their veracity is beyond suspect.

Sure, they swear to tell the truth under the penalty of perjury, but most lie through their teeth, and with impunity.

Hey, why not: it works.

Now, the police officers comments in a criminal case, his report: that information is worth looking at, but I'd disregard the allegations of a scorned spouse vents in a divorce, or at least take them with a huge grain of salt.

Their venom is entertaining, toxically so in fact, but certainly not reliable.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #29
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Good post WIFI and very true.Every year there are thousands of crimes prevented by gun owning homeowners that mostly go unreported by the press.Violent home invasions are almost unheard of around here and are almost always the result of a domestic situation.
Don't think they'd want to come to my house....trust me.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #30
Coolbreeze

I'm sure by now the police have a good idea of who they want to talk to before going and arresting someone on a whim. If they do arrest the perp without strong enough information, any good lawyer can get him/her off in a reasonable amount of time.
Sometimes silence is golden and things have a way of working themselves out. If the guy of interest flees, there's your man. If he shoots off his mouth about what he did, a first degree murder case is almost a sure win. Does New Hampshire opt for the death penalty for 1st degree premeditatied murder?

God help those innocent kids.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #31
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
Does New Hampshire opt for the death penalty for 1st degree premeditatied murder?
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03...nalty.abolish/
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #32
ApS

Quote:
"...I'm sure by now the police have a good idea of who they want to talk to before going and arresting someone on a whim..."
It's possible that the subject is being held in a detention facility or State/County jail, having already been arrested on charges unrelated to this murder.

ETA: I may need to mention what I do for a living—maybe not.

Last edited by ApS; 05-24-2009 at 02:45 PM.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #33
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
It's possible that the subject is being held in a detention facility or State/County jail, having already been arrested on charges unrelated to this murder.
Seems like a person "gone missing" would be obvious to us, short of being a random stranger crime.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #34
tis

I agree, I would be very surprised if it is not someone we don't know. I am just scared of who it is! I don't want it to be any of the men or women I have heard mentioned. We are all ready to have it over and done with though.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #35
ApS

Question Who Done It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
"...Seems like a person "gone missing" would be obvious to us, short of being a random stranger crime..."
It would be, but the murder case could be jeopardized if any legally-improper connection were made to that subject.

Although the details will come out eventually, the AG shouldn't divulge that kind of information now: Think back to when you've read, "The subject was previously in jail on another charge".

If he's been improperly questioned by police while behind bars, the jury is more likely to convict him based on reputation rather than on the evidence presented of the crime charged. (Improving chances of an appeal).

Quote:
"...Sometimes silence is golden and things have a way of working themselves out..."
I'm both frustrated and impressed by the silence from the Attorney General's office: Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Strelzin must run a tight ship. (So, yes).

Quote:
"...Does New Hampshire opt for the death penalty for 1st degree premeditated murder?
Yes...and...no.

As yet, however, there are no indications that this is a premeditated murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Here is the problem with rumor mills..... they are just rumors..... why can't people just wait for actual details to be released.....
I'm reading locally that the silence is creating uncertainty and fright among some Wolfeboroians.

Although I'm going to contradict every Wolfeboro blog and forum AGAIN, the word from the Attorney General's Office is that:
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #36
Cowgirlnh

Here we go again.

The commonly known main suspects are not behind bars because they're out and about around town.

It sure seeems premeditated. One person was targeted by someone who entered the house in the dead of night. Given no arrests yet, it seems fair to state they came prepared and left little damning evidence behind. Given the violence of the scene, someone who hadn't thought through their actions ahead of time would certainly have left DNA, fingerprints, or footprints in the horror that was that room.

And for someone who is so quick to claim the media bends the truth, why don't you try posting Strezlin's entire quote from day one after the murder?
Strelzin stated, "I have no information that would indicate the public is at risk as a result of this incident, but it is early on."
Cowgirlnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:31 AM   #37
fatlazyless

Got to wonder if Stacey Burns' stabbing murder in the middle of the night could be related to the recent local guy's drug arrest in Illinois, where his pickup truck with 900-lbs of marijuana was initially stopped for speeding while going only 5mph above the 65mph limit on an Illinois interstate highway (if I remember correct)? Is there a cause and effect link between the two, or just a small town-very low crime, type of an odd timing coincidence?

As you probably recall, he was a former Wolfeboro police commissioner which I believe is a politically elected, local town position and very different than a state certified, local police officer.

Today's May 25 Boston Globe has a perspective type of an article; "Crimes jolt N.H. tourist town" written by two lady reporters.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-25-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #38
ApS

Quote:
"...Wonder if Stacey Burns' murder could be related to the recent local guy's drug arrest in Illinois, where his pickup truck with 900-lbs of marijuana was initially stopped for speeding...Is there a cause and effect link between the two, or just a small town-very low crime, type of an odd timing coincidence...?
That's being discussed—as are those who put up bail in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirlnh View Post
"...why don't you try posting Strezlin's entire quote from day one after the murder? Strelzin stated, "I have no information that would indicate the public is at risk as a result of this incident, but it is early on."
Because the only media using that "but it is early on" phrase is The Granite State News???

Given the choice of Strelzin's quotes, the preferable one is the one that gives the public more peace of mind: The full link at Fosters is a somewhat more reliable source:

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...S_01/705139929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirlnh View Post
"...Given the violence of the scene, someone who hadn't thought through their actions ahead of time would certainly have left DNA, fingerprints, or footprints in the horror that was that room..."
1) DNA and fingerprints can be worthless if that person was entitled to be in the house previously. Footprints are an under-utilized piece of evidence: The case can completely hinge on it.

2) In a different case, when a New York State Forensic Investigator was recently murdered, it still took that state weeks to make the arrest of the most-likely suspect!

3) At this late date, I'm confident that the State's crime scene technicians have everything they can possibly collect: This is going to be one very "CSI-intensive" case, based on what has appeared here just today. Today, it's not so much a "who-dunnit", as a "which-one dunnit".

4) Locard's Principle of Exchange states "when a crime is committed the killer will always leave some evidence at the scene and take some evidence away with him."

That police divers have searched Wolfeboro's Lake Winnipesaukee's waters means this perpetrator hasn't heard of Dr. Edmond Locard.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 AM   #39
Cowgirlnh

My statement was to refute your claim that there was no indication this was premeditated.
Someone stealthing into a house at night, killing, and getting away clean at least 2+ weeks later had thought about their actions. To me, it seems premeditated.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #40
fatlazyless

The Boston Globe just raised its' NH daily price to 1.50 so's no one in the lakes region can afford it anymore. Like, what good is a newspaper if nobody reads it? Down on a lower corner of today's front page, the Globe has a Wolfeboro sidewalk photo of a few people walking past Dive Winnipesaukee and Yankee Pedlar. Check out the after-story, email comments....it's a wild web world....

Could someone create a working link to today's Boston Globe May 25 article "Crimes jolt N.H. tourist town" written by two lady reporters. It's lengthy and speaks to the town's emotional side of this incredibly bad crime.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-25-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #41
Heaven

Globe article not worth the paper it was printed on, don't bother buying. Re-hash of all the other articles/statements to date.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #42
pats fan

Quote:
Got to wonder if Stacey Burns' stabbing murder in the middle of the night could be related to the recent local guy's drug arrest in Illinois, where his pickup truck with 900-lbs of marijuana was initially stopped for speeding while going only 5mph above the 65mph limit on an Illinois interstate highway (if I remember correct)? Is there a cause and effect link between the two, or just a small town-very low crime, type of an odd timing coincidence?
I don't live in Wolfeboro so I only get my news about this death from Winnipesaukee.com. What is the connection or possible connection between the two? Who are suspects? Any new news that an ousider would not know about?
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #43
tis

patsfan-noone here knows anything for sure, but you are not alone in your thinking. Some people have said we may find drugs are involved. I do know that the person arrested for drugs was at her house after the crime and at the funeral. But does that mean anything? We just all want answers. People are growing impatient, so I hope they figure it out soon. Of course not so soon that they get the wrong person!
Old 05-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #44
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Crimes jolt N.H. tourist town - Slaying, Drug Bust Shake Wolfeboro

Here's the link to the GLOBE STORY

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #45
old coot
Deceased Member

The Town of Wolfeboro has found some less than needed additional notoriety in the struggling Boston Globe! The Illinois arrest of one of the town’s former police commissioners who was arrested with 900 pounds of pot in the back of his pickup truck and the brutal stabbing of resident Stacey Burns are the main topics of the Globe’s article. These two headline producing events haven’t been linked together by other than private speculation. Of course that’s the problem here in Wolfeboro. Law enforcement hasn’t linked either crime to anything!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #46
Ropetow

Quote:
Globe article not worth the paper it was printed on, don't bother buying. Re-hash of all the other articles/statements to date.
That is true of the Globe in general these days. Used to be worth it for the sports section, but now the Herald and WEEI.com have better coverage.

Last edited by Ropetow; 05-26-2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: typo
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #47
lulu59

Default Jim Lowry And Stacy Burns??Got a connection??

Well, we enter day 15 with no arrest. How can there be no DNA? How can there be so much speculation and so little activity??
At the funeral? At the house? Out on &500,000 bail? 900lbs. of weed and no prior record? 71 year old lady along for the ride as a guise??
Soon, all will be exposed. And what you thought was small town USA.
http://www.granitestatenews.com/Arti..._Illinois.html
lulu59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #48
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu59 View Post
Well,we enter day 15 with no arrest.How can there be no DNA?How can there be so much speculation and so little activity??
At the funeral?At the house?Out on &500,000 bail?900lbs. of weed and no prior record?71 year old lady along for the ride as a guise??
Soon,all will be exposed.And what you thought was small town USA.
Nobody said there was no DNA.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #49
SAMIAM

How tough can it be. There are two suspects. One has an alibi and one does not. I hate to go up there and take over the investigation, but it's been two weeks.
The coroner can pinpoint the time of death so I might be looking for the person who can not verify his wereabouts at that time.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #50
tis

Somebody said today it takes three weeks to get the DNA results back. Maybe that is what they are waiting for. But you would think there would be no harm in telling us that. There are more than two suspects, Sam. I have heard at least 7 names. But I do wish you would come up here and straighten them out! It is time to get something done!
And then another sad thing today, one of the people killed in Effingham was the son of a local landscaper who lives on Rte. 109A. Not to get off topic, but I guess I did.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #51
fatlazyless

One half million dollars in bail seems like a lot of money. Probably, there's some payment info in the court records that could be public information, available to a newspaper reporter. Some smart reporter should follow that money trail.

If Wolfeboro were part of the LaDaSun's news beat, they'd be on this, all day and night, like Sherlock Holmes. Is Wolfeboro in a news warp or does it just seem that way?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #52
Argie's Wife

Quote:
One half million dollars in bail seems like a lot of money. Probably, there's some payment info in the court records that could be public information, available to a newspaper reporter. Some smart reporter should follow that money trail.

If Wolfeboro were part of the LaDaSun's news beat, they'd be on this, all day and night, like Sherlock Holmes. Is Wolfeboro in a news warp or does it just seem that way?
Do you realize you just used "LaDaSun" and "news" in the same sentence? Yeah... I didn't think so.

Although it's just a weekly paper, The Baysider does a good job accurately reporting things - silly thing tho, papers can only report the info that's released to them. There's something called "The Right To Know" law (RSA 91) that has some limits to it, ya know. I think reputation is part of that law - so that's why the police can't say too much... I'm gonna trust that the WPD is doing their job and we'll know more when it's available for the info to be released...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #53
Cowgirlnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
How tough can it be. There are two suspects. One has an alibi and one does not. I hate to go up there and take over the investigation, but it's been two weeks.
The coroner can pinpoint the time of death so I might be looking for the person who can not verify his wereabouts at that time.
Tis is right, there are more than two suspects. But it's my understanding that neither of the two main suspects has an alibi.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #54
SAMIAM

IMHO they already know who did it and are waiting to complete the investigation. It's disturbing to think that the person who did it has enjoyed his freedom for two extra weeks after killing a young mom and ruining the lives of her remaining family.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #55
chipj29

Quote:
IMHO they already know who did it and are waiting to complete the investigation.It's disturbing to think that the person who did it has enjoyed his freedom for two extra weeks after killing a young mom and ruining the lives of her remaining family.
In a way I agree...but I highly doubt the guilty party is "enjoying" his/her freedom. I would at least hope that person is sweating bullets, worried about their fate in the judicial system.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #56
Happy Gourmand

Default Getting it Right

My guess is that the police and the AG's office are making certain that all their ducks line up in a perfect row before they move on this.
Do any of you recall the outcome of the trial for the home invasion that occurred on Governor's Is. some years back? A sharp lawyer got the case dismissed on TECHNICALITIES...the perpetrators were released.
I'm pretty sure that the suspect(s) in this case are on a pretty short leash and are being closely monitored.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #57
fatlazyless

Let's see if I make an intelligent response here.

In the Governor's Island midnight home invasion - child kidnapping attempt of aproximately 1995 by an ex-member(s) of their family, while dressed in all-black & armed w/ handguns & ninja knives, there were no personal injuries to anyone, and a couple-three invaders did prison time for a few years(?).

The Marine Patrol was right there, making a waterfront approach to the house and very involved in stopping the bad guys (ex-husband or ex-wife?) in their tracks. So, that attempted kidnapping was stopped with a 911 call.

No personal physical injuries is obviously far far different from a stabbing murder in the middle of the night.

Lots of doors in Wolfeboro, likely and understandably. now get locked at night.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-27-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #58
fatlazyless

Default ...from today's newspaper

Wolfeboro: Slaying has town on edge

3 weeks on, no arrests in mom's death

By Maddie Hanna, Monitor Staff

today's May 31 www.concordmonitor.com

...geez, if my links worked I'd make one here, but they don't, so could someone help out...
Old 05-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #59
Rose

Quote:
...geez, if my links worked I'd make one here, but they don't, so could someone help out...
Here ya go

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...WS01/905310382
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:43 PM   #60
tis

The rumor was they were expecting the DNA tests back in about 3 weeks. So hopefully something will happen soon. Today is three weeks.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:44 PM   #61
secondcurve

Quote:
How tough can it be.There are two suspects.One has an alibi and one does not.I hate to go up there and take over the investigation, but it's been two weeks.
Sam:

Aren't you the same guy who constantly has been chiding posters to let the process work in the case of the boater who ran into an island and killed her friend?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 PM   #62
ApS

Quote:
"...In the Governor's Island midnight home invasion...The Marine Patrol was right there...very involved in stopping the bad guys (ex-husband or ex-wife?)..."
These appeared in the Boston Globe around Spring of 1994. The article can be purchased, but here are the most significant exerpts provided:
Quote:
LACONIA, N.H. -- A judge has ordered the trials of two people charged in a commando-style invasion last month on Governor's Island to proceed. Chandra K. Chowanec, 26, and Craig Davidson, 35, were ordered bound over for trial. Davidson, and his wife, Gretchen, 25, both of Albuquerque, N.M., and Chowanec, of Columbia, Conn...each face three counts of attempted murder and one count of conspiracy to commit murder...Chowanec's former in-laws. Chowanec had been involved in a dispute with the McDuffees...[Lawyer]Twomey...stun guns and night vision equipment...Prosecutors say Chowanec, 26, of Columbia, Conn., and two friends planned to kill Chowanec's ex-husband, Scott McDuffee and..."
Quote:
Nobody said there was no DNA.
I've associated with professionals in Forensic Serological analyses, so here's my take on DNA:

Before DNA came onto the scene, only two tests were adequate for an arrest—and both tests could be done the same day. (The two tests were the usual Rh blood-types, and another called "blood proteins".)

It would be expected that there would be blood at a scene described as a stabbing. Any one drop of blood could identify an assailant who could also have been bleeding, so every spot of blood would need to be DNA-checked.

While DNA has slowed the arrest process, it can be used to identify a perpetrator down to one-individual-in-a-billion—and sometimes even better than that!

But even in the absense of a suspect, DNA can be analyzed to determine the ethnic, national, regional, or geographical origin of the subject/perpetrator. There are private firms who will "look up your ancestors" from a cotton swab's single wipe of the inside of the client's mouth.

DNA is used for other determinations, of course: Although the scene had a large number of people at it, no other DNA-related requirements for testing have been suggested (or forthcoming) up to this date.

Quote:
"...Somebody said today it takes three weeks to get the DNA results back...Maybe that is what they are waiting for..."
The DNA logistics for profiling just one drop of blood would take weeks.

With every drop needing analysis to provide context at the scene, one could expect even more time to pass. All the details of the crime have to be eventually assembled to provide the most likely scenario, motive, and later, the charges to be brought.

Hopefully, WPD took photographs of each of those questioned. Any wounds need to be documented as they can be wounds inflicted during any physical defense by the victim—or, as can happen—an unintentional self-wounding.

Wolfeboro has only one resolved murder case of the four local murders that I've heard of.

A "help line" for investigators shows that DNA isn't the "slam-dunk" seen on a famous TV show.

(But not this TV show)

Old 06-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #63
SAMIAM

Yup...that's me. Not a fair comparison though, because the driver of the boat has been arrested and is awaiting trial.......No one is left hanging as in the Wolfboro case.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #64
lulu59

Default boy have things gotten quiet

]Man, this is the most hushed investigation. Rumor has it the husband is wanting an order of protection against the former boyfriend. Rumor has it this shall be challenged. Rumor has it that DNA results are imminent.
Six people in a house. No one knows or heard anything?? Vehicles?? Foot prints?? Cell phone records??
The victims father is an attorney. Can't believe they haven't had an impact on this. This is such a twisted crime. Tragedy for these children. And living in a community where one must wonder what is going on??
Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #65
Heaven

Quote:
]Man, this is the most hushed investigation. Rumor has it the husband is wanting an order of protection against the former boyfriend. Rumor has it this shall be challenged. Rumor has it that DNA results are imminent.
Six people in a house. No one knows or heard anything?? Vehicles?? Foot prints?? Cell phone records??
The victims father is an attorney. Can't believe they haven't had an impact on this. This is such a twisted crime. Tragedy for these children. And living in a community where one must wonder what is going on??
Think about the DNA in that house. There is DNA all over the place, footprints all over the place. Think of all the company that has been in that house in the previous month . Think about the fact that DNA from probably ALL the suspects was already in the house before the murder. The challenge is to connect the dots with the DNA that tells the story of those few hours. Very very difficult and time consuming. This isn't TV.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #66
fatlazyless

Today's Union Leader has a front page story about the Wolfeboro murder which happened one month ago.

And, the Granite State News crime beat had someone arrested and held at the Carrol County jail about a month ago with their name witheld?

It's been a month so could the murderer who committed this horrendous killing please stand up and tell everyone why you did it?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-10-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #67
capngary

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...b-6797149951c1

It's been a month and all 5 children are now living with their father. Some of you are going to be wrong about your internet conviction.

Don't worry too much about your own safety. This is a crime of passion... The victim knew the assailant. Eddie didn't do it. But, I think Eddie knew who did it and has told the police. It takes about 3 plus weeks to get the DNA results. The ducks are all lining up. The police are establishing an airtight case. You won't have to wait much longer.
capngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #68
tis

What are you referring to when you say we are wrong about our internet conviction? Can you 'splain that?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #69
gokart-mozart

Default Our Internet Convictions

tis, I think he means Ed didn't do it.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #70
lulu59

Default Order of Protection denied?

Let's see. Today there was a hearing to decide if Ed(as you internet folks refer to him)would be allowed a restraining order to be in place against a possible suspect. The hearing was held in Carroll County before the Honorable Judge Horan and that order was denied. Evidently, the judge didn't believe Mr Burns' theory that his safety was in jeopardy.
If the ex husband committed the offense or is charged, how can the state of N.H. justify letting him live in the house with his children? Something here just doesn't add up. Are they, the authorities, attempting to see if someone has loose lips? Was someone hired to commit this offense, a professional killer?
The team got together in Concord yesterday to put all the information together. Still not a sign of an arrest. Tells me the authorities are at an impasse.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #71
Heaven

Quote:
Let's see. Today there was a hearing to decide if Ed(as you internet folks refer to him)would be allowed a restraining order to be in place against a possible suspect. The hearing was held in Carroll County before the Honorable Judge Horan and that order was denied. Evidently, the judge didn't believe Mr Burns' theory that his safety was in jeopardy.
If the ex husband committed the offense or is charged, how can the state of N.H. justify letting him live in the house with his children? Something here just doesn't add up. Are they, the authorities, attempting to see if someone has loose lips? Was someone hired to commit this offense, a professional killer?
The team got together in Concord yesterday to put all the information together. Still not a sign of an arrest. Tells me the authorities are at an impasse.
The ex has not been charged, and right now he is innocent. Have some patience people, I can hear the racket you would make if a critical step or piece of information gets overlooked in haste and a conviction fails. I don't believe the authorities are at an impasse, they are doing their jobs. Again, this isn't TV.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:56 AM   #72
lulu59

Default restraining order denied!!

http://www.granitestatenews.com/Arti...boyfriend.html
here it is.no luv lost between these 2!!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #73
jpskate8

Default Burns and Jim

Quote:
Well, we enter day 15 with no arrest. How can there be no DNA? How can there be so much speculation and so little activity??
At the funeral? At the house? Out on &500,000 bail? 900lbs. of weed and no prior record? 71 year old lady along for the ride as a guise??
Soon, all will be exposed. And what you thought was small town USA.
From what I hear is she was dating Jim........ And others.... I believe these are highly related crimes.
jpskate8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #74
tis

I heard yesterday Jim Lowry got off. I don't know if it is true.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #75
old coot
Deceased Member

Quote:
I heard yesterday Jim Lowry got off. I don't know if it is true.
That's a persistent rumor, tis, but my law enforcement sources tell me it is untrue. His case is expected to drag on forever, however.
oc
Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #76
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Rumor has it that this murder has gone international. There is allegedly a woman with ties to France that had some connection with one of them. Apparently a scent dog walked toward some condos on Friend (?) st. (funny that the name of this street comes up in the news article link above?) This is where they were looking for a weapon. Then it came out that the day of the murder this woman , who lived in one of the condos, disappeared and left a trail telling of her flight to France. Now they are looking for her there. Just what I heard today.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #77
old coot
Deceased Member

Default Friend Street

Were you to park your car in the Burn's driveway and not get your transmission fully engaged in Park, your car would roll down the driveway, cross North Main Street and then descend down Friend Street. The street has that proximity to the murder scene. However, I'm not aware of any (typical) condos on Friend Street. Instead, they're all modest and long existing single family homes and mobile homes.
oc
Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #78
lulu59

Default Rumor Mill

Here's is a good one. Some fact, some speculation.
Last week in the Michael Jackson frenzy, Larry King had many, many guests. A man by the name of Henry Lee, DNA expert was one of them. What is the speculation: Henry Lee was being interviewed from Manchester NH. Why would Henry Lee be in Manchester NH???? To check the DNA in the Stacie Burns' murder investigation???
Old 07-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #79
SAMIAM

Lulu, I think YOU should be in charge of this murder investigation.......you seem to have a lot more common sense than the PD and AG keystone cops.
There are two main suspects and one of them is innocent but has to face his friends, neighbors and family every day with the cloud of guilt hanging over him. Can you imagine going to work each day.....to the store and school to pick up your kids with everyone looking at you like you're guilty? I believe that they know who did it and are just playing cat and mouse while they collect more evidence.......not fair to the innocent person.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #80
chowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Rumor has it that this murder has gone international. There is allegedly a woman with ties to France that had some connection with one of them. Apparently a scent dog walked toward some condos on Friend (?) st. (funny that the name of this street comes up in the news article link above?) This is where they were looking for a weapon. Then it came out that the day of the murder this woman , who lived in one of the condos, disappeared and left a trail telling of her flight to France. Now they are looking for her there. Just what I heard today.
This alleged woman with a connection does not live on Friend St., but not far from there. Her tie to France is that she is an international flight attendant. They are not looking for her there. The authorities are aware of her flight status and when she is in town.There are those out there that are starting to think in this direction, but anybody's guess at this point.
chowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #81
tis

Of course it does. He is well known.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #82
sa meredith

Default strange

So I'm out having dinner last week, and meet someone who lives year round in Wolfeboro. The conversation comes around to this topic, and they explain to me that the victim is said to have been a member of "the car key club"...which is a club for locals in Wolfeboro (that's about all the definition of the club I will give, there is more, but just take a guess). Anyway, they said that locals believe there is a connection and that police are exploring this.
I have no way of knowing if this is accurate info, but was curious if anyone on the forum heard a similar story.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #83
Happy Gourmand

Default Wow.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
So I'm out having dinner last week, and meet someone who lives year round in Wolfeboro. The conversation comes around to this topic, and they explain to me that the victim is said to have been a member of "the car key club"...which is a club for locals in Wolfeboro (that's about all the definition of the club I will give, there is more, but just take a guess). Anyway, they said that locals believe there is a connection and that police are exploring this.
I have no way of knowing if this is accurate info, but was curious if anyone on the forum heard a similar story.
Talk about dropping a BOMB!!
Old 07-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #84
Heaven

I thought the car key club was for couples (?), and how would that work in her case?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #85
gokart-mozart

Default Update Coming?

The Union Leader is advertising on their website "an exclusive update in the Stacey Burns homicide probe" coming tomorrow.

Wonder what they know?
Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #86
goosejr

I hope people don't get lost in the rumors and innuendo.

Stacey may have had her faults, (please name one of us who does not) but be aware that she was not anything but sweet. She was approachable, funny, and caring.

Still thinking of her and mourning the loss......
goosejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:04 AM   #87
Skip

Post Stacy Burns murder article....

Lengthy article in this morning's on-line Union Leader in reference to the crime. Story can be read HERE!

Much of the story centers around an interview with ex-boyfriend Jim Vittum.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #88
tis

Wow, I am surprised he talked.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #89
Irish mist

Quote:
Wow, I am surprised he talked.
Lol, I bet his lawyer is too Not looking good for this guy IMO.
________
Extreme q

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #90
Wolfester

Default ex

Lokks like he didn't understand the ex part about being the ex-boyfriend. But it is easy to see how he earned the ex prefix and how he earned a 14 hour interogation.
Wolfester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #91
gokart-mozart

Default Long Interview fills out some details

Well, if I were Mr. Vittum's lawyer, I would quit.

But his interview does provide some more fuel for various speculations. He's obviously been a suspect from the beginning. Despite his now confirmed movements in and out of the house, and the dead woman's blood on his hands, he hasn't been arrested. So, it's likely that there are competing scenarios that CSI Wolfeboro are working on.

Two things stand out from the interview.

First: The "mistake" she made Friday night. It's a longstanding rumor that she had a new BF, and that the new BF and Mr. Vittum had a punchup Friday night. But why a "mistake"? This either further implicates Vittum as a jealous ex, or introduces a new factor into the equation. What kind of "mistake" gets you killed?

Second: The "scores of problems" in her life that she was working on "getting help". What kind of help? When does reaching out for help get you killed? How about if you reach out for help from the police?

This interview certainly raises public suspicion about Mr. Vittum far beyond Wolfeboro. But it also gives amateur detectives some new things to think about.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #92
chowda

Default Is this guy really that dumb?

I understand he must be sick of living under the cloud of suspicion and getting stared at everywhere he goes. Now he is going to be getting stares due to his stupidity for participating in this article. He obviously has zero class for stating she was "hot" and linking her to a married man. Didn't he supposedly care for her? What about her kids and family's feelings? LOSER.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #93
Wolfester

Default jealousy

Yep, the "big mistake" was that the children knew she was with another man, yet he is the one that had the emmotional day.

Months after she is dead he is talking about how hot she was, and that guys were hitting on her all the time, being pressured by married men.

There seems to be theme of jealousy through out this tale.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #94
chowda

Default What was he thinking?

I just can't get over this. Did he even think over his words, or the impact they would have on her reputation or family, before this interview? What a moron. He didn't help himself at all, and made her look bad at the same time. As if there aren't enough jerks out there trying to jump to conclusions about her already. I also agree with his stupidity contributing to the "ex" factor. I personally don't think he did it, I'm leaning towards the flight attendant. I don't think he has even the smallest shred of intellect to have gotten away with something like this for so long.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #95
sa meredith

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowda View Post
I just can't get over this. Did he even think over his words, or the impact they would have on her reputation or family, before this interview? What a moron. He didn't help himself at all, and made her look bad at the same time. As if there aren't enough jerks out there trying to jump to conclusions about her already. I also agree with his stupidity contributing to the "ex" factor. I personally don't think he did it, I'm leaning towards the flight attendant. I don't think he has even the smallest shred of intellect to have gotten away with something like this for so long.
Good point....it would seem there is just no way this guy is bright enough to have covered his tracks for even a little while.
Probably did not do it.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #96
Wolfester

Default sap

I agree, but there is a disturbing constant theme here.

What's up with the words "big mistake"? Most people think it is a "big mistake" that someone is dead. He thinks it was a "big mistake" that a single person had an adult relationship? Sounds like it was a bigger mistake to him, then the children, since he was very emmotionally drained.

Why would he bring up that she was hot and being hit on by other guys? Why would he bring up intimate adult details of the early part of their relationship? There was an attraction prior to the divorce? but no cheating? Why would anyone even be talking about stuff like that after what happened?

Seems like an extraordinary focus on other men and cheating etc. It would be easy to believe that maybe things didn't go as well for him as he says that night.

Maybe if is innocent, he will learn his life will be easier if he stays away when a woman breaks up with him. But it doesn't look like he will ever have to worry about a woman breaking up with him again, since it is probably going to be pretty hard getting a first date.

Last edited by Wolfester; 07-25-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #97
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
But his interview does provide some more fuel for various speculations. He's obviously been a suspect from the beginning. Despite his now confirmed movements in and out of the house, and the dead woman's blood on his hands, he hasn't been arrested. So, it's likely that there are competing scenarios that CSI Wolfeboro are working on.
Please be careful what you quote, the article said:
"Vittum said some of his blood may have been on Burns' hands because she helped pull out a splinter that night, with the help of one of her daughters and a friend. "I have witnesses for all that."
Old 07-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #98
gokart-mozart

Default Sorry for the Misquote

Thanks for the correction.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:46 AM   #99
tis

I don't think he fought with the new boyfriend that night, as the new boyfriend was out of town. I heard he did have a fight though with another guy though.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #100
lulu59

Well, sad to say, this investigation is at a dead end. Made this conclusion back on June 10th. It appears that there are endless scenarios.
Hard to say what the motivation is by the interview given by a suspect this week. Riddled with guilt? Was advised to speak in general terms and not about specifics?
Reaching out for help?? Sounds like a substance abuse problem?? Key club?? Swinger??
Lots' of speculation. The authorities know what happened. Can they prove it beyond a reasonable doubt? These murder trials can cost significant money to the state. Sad but true.