Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
hancoveguy

Default sheds?

Hello all, I am looking for a small wooden shed that meets some specific dimensional requirements. Does anyone know of a contractor or reseller that can build/deliver a shed inexpensively? Talking bare bones 8x10 shed to Moultonborough for cash.

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
jeffatsquam

How do you feel about the colors yellow and black

There is a lot of plywood around town that needs to be reperpised
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
RLW

Default Sheds

I would suggest these people to get your shed from. I purchased one from them last year and our building inspector was very impressed with the construction. They are extremely professional and helpful in every way. http://www.reedsferry.com/ Just my
Oh, they travel and install all over New England and their prices are better than any that I saw during the looking faze.

Last edited by RLW; 02-08-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Addtion to thread
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RLW For This Useful Post:
hancoveguy (02-08-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default Check out HD or Lowes

Someone I did a job for bought a Rubbermaid shed and it was actually very well constructed and easy to install. He built the platform then put the shed up right on it. I've been pricing them myself for firewood storage options.
But if your looking for that rustic look this probably will not work.
Hope htis helps.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Happy Gourmand

Default Sheds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
I would suggest these people to get your shed from. I purchased one from them last year and our building inspector was very impressed with the construction. They are extremely professional and helpful in every way. http://www.reedsferry.com/ Just my
Oh, they travel and install all over New England and their prices are better than any that I saw during the looking faze.
I'll second this recommendation.... I think they have the best built and best priced sheds available. Quality and value can't be beat.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I'll second this recommendation (of reed's Ferry). ...
I'm glad you guys had a good experience. I prefer to shop local so I stopped in there a couple years ago to check them out for something. There were 4 clerks passing gas at the central counter. When they realised I had come in they went in 4 different directions! Normally I would have turned on my heel and left after getting this reaction from a sales associate. The shock of FOUR store employees reacting this way froze me in place long enough for one of them to turn around and realise I was still there and he came back and offerred to help me. No apology though.

I now regard H/D as my local store.

The wife and I got a real nice shed from Easern Shed, a couple years ago and are very happy with it. http://easternshed.com/

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
dpg

I have a Reeds Ferry shed in Mass, very nice shed. A few years back I had a contractor adding a sun room off the kitchen. I came home one day and he was in the shed checking it out. I said for crying out loud can't you just build yourself one? When I told him what I paid he said he wouldn't even bother at that price by the time he purchased the wood, picked it up, etc.etc... Oh, he was very impressed with the shed also...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
MJM

Default Reeds Ferry

I also highly recommend Reeds Ferry. Good, solid construction, great crew (their own employees) that built it, and at a good price.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
hancoveguy

Hello again,
Checked Reeds Ferry and they cannot make one that meets our associations max height requirement of 8'6" peak. Have had a few pm's, keep em coming.

Also, not opposed to a used shed... I have the equipment to remove it as long its not buried in some deep back yard.
no higher than 8'6"...8x8 or 8x10, no windows

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Postwoodworking

I bought a couple of "Postwoodworking" sheds through a local dealer. They have dealers all over the state. It's well built and has stood the test of time thus far. They will pretty much build anything you want. They even matched the siding on my house. I do recommend putting your shed on a concrete slab. Here's a link to their web site where you can do a local dealer search...

http://www.postwoodworking.com/vinyl-sheds.asp

Good Luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

Maybe I'm different but if I walked in on 4 guys farting I would know I found the right place.
Rattlesnake Guy (02-11-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Maybe I'm different but if I walked in on 4 guys farting I would know I found the right place.

Question: Are you saying that you would fit right in?? i-m-gassy
SIKSUKR (02-14-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
Natt

Default Reeds Ferry

We have two Reeds Ferry Sheds. You can customize them on line. Both times, they were delivered and set up per agreement and in a very timely fashion, ready to go. We have a small one, which took less than 45 minutes to set up and a large one that has been here for at least ten years, and is still in good shape. Made from all wood, no press board. Natt's wife
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #14
fatlazyless

www.abcsheds.com/contact.html, located on Route 16 in Tamworth, close to the NH-RMV and State Police building has a lot full of different all-wood sheds. It's a local business that builds and sells its' own product, outdoor storage sheds, so here's an opportunity to buy a product that is built and sold by Tamworth locals as opposed to Lowe's, Home Depot, and Rubbermaid.
hancoveguy (02-12-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #15
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I passed a welding gas supply truck today in traffic. The rear door had the message "Driver always has gas".
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #16
TOAD

When I first read the title of your post I was thinking deer antlers.

Can't take the hunt out of a hunter I guess.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
I passed a welding gas supply truck today in traffic. The rear door had the message "Driver always has gas".
That's funny RG. Last friday I was behind a truck with a sticker that said "I have no idea where I am going". Both of those seem to appeal to me in a wierd way.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #18
boo

Default shed

Hi HCG,
i am a local builder and am building a shed for a customer right now who lives in moultonboro and will deliver it when completed. It is being built to match his house.

I would be happy to give you a quote for your shed, wouldnt cost much for me to do it, and I could do it to match your house now.

send me a message with the details your looking for (windows, doors, siding style, roof stryle, etc..), and I can give you a quote the next day.

Look forward to hearing from you
Thanks,
Corey Boucher
Blue Moon Builders llc
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #19
lawn psycho

Any thought to building your own? 8x10 is easy project and with the low height requirement the roofing would be a snap.

I did a 12x16 shed with windows, vinyl siding, vinyl trim, same shingles as house, doors, ramp, electrical, and a barn shelf for less then $2500 and that was with 2x4 16" OC, Advantech flooring, 2x8 PT joists, and 2x6 rafters. Built like a tank and looks like a "mini-house"
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #20
GreensKeeper

Default Sheds

I bought my shed from the Concord prison store facility across the street from the prison. My wife and I have purchase furniture from the store and have always been please with the price and quality. All hard wood and built to last. Last year we bought the shed from the same location. They will build it to your specs. We decided on a 10 X 16 shed with shiplap siding, two windows with screens, ridge rent, pressure treated floor joist, plywood roof, and double doors with a lites over the doors as seen on many barns in the area. I provided the roofing shingles. They are very easy to work with. The shed was stained with a natural finish. Its is beautiful. Built with the same specs as you would build a house. The price .......... 10% over the cost of material. The 10% goes toward maintenance of tools and such. The inmates don't get paid but learn a trade. A win win situation. The cost to delivery the shed was $50 bucks to Meredith. They will also set up the shed on your site. They do expect the site to be fairly level. They will put the shed on concrete blocks and provide a pressure treated ramp for easy entry. They were here for about and hour and took pains to make sure it was level and that I was satisfied. And no, they are not dressed in prison garb but I expect at least one of the three men was a prisoner.
If your are in Concord, check out their store. They have a showroom for their furniture but will build custom furniture as well. If you want to see some of their handiwork locally, go to either the Gilford or Plymouth library. The showroom in Concord used to be open six day a week but now is only open on Saturdays due to cut backs.
GreensKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreensKeeper For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (02-17-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #21
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Any thought to building your own? 8x10 is easy project and with the low height requirement the roofing would be a snap.

I did a 12x16 shed with windows, vinyl siding, vinyl trim, same shingles as house, doors, ramp, electrical, and a barn shelf for less then $2500 and that was with 2x4 16" OC, Advantech flooring, 2x8 PT joists, and 2x6 rafters. Built like a tank and looks like a "mini-house"
We are in the construction-worker business and in no way could we build that shed for that cost today even without labor and we would be using all the labor saving tools also. The materials alone would cost that price even at a discount store like Home Depot or Lowe's. I purchased my shed from Reeds Ferry and glad I let them build and set it up as I could not do it for their price. I purchased it when they had their 10% off on all sheds and accessories. I'm real clap with the whole ding-dong job.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #22
lawn psycho

RLW, I built my shed in 2009 right after we moved into our new house. I like to keep my garage clutter free.

I used a 20% off coupon at Lowes for the wood. My builder got me his wholesale pricing for the shingles and vinyl siding/trim so they would match the house. Bought the windows, shutters, and door hardware online. For about a week it seemed like there was a delivery being made in preparation for building it. I did it for almost exactly $2500 +/- $100. I'd have to add up the receipts again. I originally was going with a 12x14 but the odd size just made sense to add on the two feet.

Used my BIL's nail guns and I had all the rest of the tools, ladders, sawhorses, etc. Took three days (sun up to past sundown) and I got/get a lot of compliments on it. I priced out having one delivered of the same size and quality and it was easily double the price I spent building it.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #23
sky's

Default custom sheds this spring

Hello my name is Shaun owner of Skys Carpentry on rte 25. we will be offering custom sheds this year and should have 2 models to look at on our property this spring. these will feature a Adirondack look with cedar shingles and front porch. keep your eyes open we will begin as soon as the snow melts?? whenever that is? these won't be "box store" built, but much higher quality and prices will be higher but "you get what you pay for" thanks
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #24
RLW

Quote:
RLW, I built my shed in 2009 right after we moved into our new house. I like to keep my garage clutter free.

I used a 20% off coupon at Lowe's for the wood. My builder got me his wholesale pricing for the shingles and vinyl siding/trim so they would match the house. Bought the windows, shutters, and door hardware online. For about a week it seemed like there was a delivery being made in preparation for building it. I did it for almost exactly $2500 +/- $100. I'd have to add up the receipts again. I originally was going with a 12x14 but the odd size just made sense to add on the two feet.

Used my BIL's nail guns and I had all the rest of the tools, ladders, sawhorses, etc. Took three days (sun up to past sundown) and I got/get a lot of compliments on it. I priced out having one delivered of the same size and quality and it was easily double the price I spent building it.
lawn psycho, you did very well for that size shed. All my materials were figured on the company discounts. Believe it or not I got the 10x16 from Reeds Ferry with all my own selections of shingles, siding, windows, shutters and ramp and oh ya a nice weather vane for less than 3,200 and I didn't have all the aggravation and mess to pickup every night and after the job as it was installed in less than 1 hour and 15 minutes and they were driving out of the driveway. I have received several e-mails from them asking if I was happy with the shed and the installation. They are a followup company which you do not find very often nowadays. All in all we both did very well and you have the pleasure to tell everyone that you bulit it. All I can say is I paid for it. with it and may it stay dry for many a year.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #25
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreensKeeper View Post
I bought my shed from the Concord prison store facility across the street from the prison. My wife and I have purchase furniture from the store and have always been please with the price and quality. All hard wood and built to last. Last year we bought the shed from the same location. They will build it to your specs. We decided on a 10 X 16 shed with shiplap siding, two windows with screens, ridge rent, pressure treated floor joist, plywood roof, and double doors with a lites over the doors as seen on many barns in the area. I provided the roofing shingles. They are very easy to work with. The shed was stained with a natural finish. Its is beautiful. Built with the same specs as you would build a house. The price .......... 10% over the cost of material. The 10% goes toward maintenance of tools and such. The inmates don't get paid but learn a trade. A win win situation. The cost to delivery the shed was $50 bucks to Meredith. They will also set up the shed on your site. They do expect the site to be fairly level. They will put the shed on concrete blocks and provide a pressure treated ramp for easy entry. They were here for about and hour and took pains to make sure it was level and that I was satisfied. And no, they are not dressed in prison garb but I expect at least one of the three men was a prisoner.
If your are in Concord, check out their store. They have a showroom for their furniture but will build custom furniture as well. If you want to see some of their handiwork locally, go to either the Gilford or Plymouth library. The showroom in Concord used to be open six day a week but now is only open on Saturdays due to cut backs.
Would you mind sharing the cost of your particular shed?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #26
Happy Gourmand

Default Reed's Ferry Sheds

I think I have the ONLY Reed's Ferry shed with a metal roof. They were going to build them for one of the ski areas but I was told that it was way too much labor so they opted not to supply them. I found it by asking if they had any "models" they they wanted to move. One of the owners took me out back where they had several to choose from. 10' x 12' , 3 windows, double doors, metal roof, cedar siding, ramp....etc, etc...paid $1950 2 years ago. Much less than anything I saw at HD and Lowes...and musc better construction.
If you go, ask if they have any discontinued models....worked for me!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #27
lawn psycho

Quote:
lawn psycho, you did very well for that size shed. All my materials were figured on the company discounts. Believe it or not I got the 10x16 from Reeds Ferry with all my own selections of shingles, siding, windows, shutters and ramp and oh ya a nice weather vane for less than 3,200 and I didn't have all the aggravation and mess to pickup every night and after the job as it was installed in less than 1 hour and 15 minutes and they were driving out of the driveway. I have received several e-mails from them asking if I was happy with the shed and the installation. They are a followup company which you do not find very often nowadays. All in all we both did very well and you have the pleasure to tell everyone that you bulit it. All I can say is I paid for it. with it and may it stay dry for many a year.
If I could have gotten mine for $3200 I would have paid it. What kind of materials did they use for decking, joists, studs, roof, etc? The sheds I saw to get it built the way I wanted were substaintially higher than what I could build on my own.

Not questioning your decision but when I went through the decision loop of buy vs build the sheds you could buy had lower quality materials. (Ex, no-name siding, 2x3 studs, 2x6 joists, particle board flooring, 2x4 roof, etc.)

I am a penny pincher when it comes to these types of things as I am always looking for deals so I was willing to put up with the hassles. The OP wanted a pre-built shed so this may not even apply but a shed is not as diffucult to build as some may think. If you don't have a compressor and nail guns then you may have a sore elbow by the time you're done.....
Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #28
RLW

Thumbs up Tool sheds

lawn psycho This site should answer all your questions regarding the building materials and how it is constructed. Do not forget that I had a 10% discount on all sheds and accessories. Click here for shed company. They have a 15% discount for anything built in February. That's a great savings.
I'm sorry, but the lit I have gives all the building specs with pictures and I just noticed that this doesn't. I may have over looked it and you might see it if you go through it.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #29
Denny Crane

Default Craigslist

Do a Meredith search on craigslist. There's been a small shed for sale for months now. Buy it and get it off the listing so we don't have to look at it!! You never know, it might be what you are looking for.
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #30
trfour

Post May I suggest...

Whether building it yourself, or having it built for you... Use top grade deck screws for assembly. In areas around the country where temperature changes can have an effect, heat-cold = expansion contraction. Nails tend to loosen up, and can cause problems over time.

Any structure is an investment, and if you go that extra mile, seal all components from the ground up, end joints, walls and roof, it will pay dividends over time.

Been there, done that. And this includes decks, and many other projects that I built myself.

Terry

PS, to RLW's question. Absolutely. It was a basic shed kit from Lowe's, and I added studding, 16" on center, and a second floor for overhead storrage as well. I did use galvie roffing nails on the shingles.
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 02-17-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Answer question.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #31
RLW

Default May I suggest...

I'm just throwing something out after viewing the shed pictures. I sure hope that there were alot more studs added to the walls and that there were double headers added all around. If one did as you suggested regarding screwing everything, wouldn't a new home/addition cost a futune and this guy would be out of a job???construction

Last edited by RLW; 02-17-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: was to were
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #32
lawn psycho

Quote:
I'm just throwing something out after viewing the shed pictures. I sure hope that there were alot more studs added to the walls and that there were double headers added all around. If one did as you suggested regarding screwing everything, wouldn't a new home/addition cost a futune and this guy would be out of a job
+1 on the double headers and 16 OC I screwed the decking down but can't image how long it would have taken to use screws for sheathing. Yikes.

RLW, I checked out the shed site and I think the guy close to me who sells sheds must be a reseller or something for these folks as they look identical. Only thing I didn't like was the use of 2x6 flooring vs 2x8 over the 12 ft span and I gave my shed a good pitch to get more overhead space. The cedar is nice but didn't fit in with where I wanted to put the shed. Vinyl is final

I do like the cupola but never seem to get around to buying one.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #33
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
+RLW, I checked out the shed site and I think the guy close to me who sells sheds must be a reseller or something for these folks as they look identical. Only thing I didn't like was the use of 2x6 flooring vs 2x8 over the 12 ft span and I gave my shed a good pitch to get more overhead space. The cedar is nice but didn't fit in with where I wanted to put the shed. Vinyl is final
I do like the cupola but never seem to get around to buying one.
You are right about the 2x6 floor joists, but there are 9 locations for footings and there is a beam (doubled 2x6 on their side PT) that goes in the center of the joists the full length of the shed which is supported by 3 footings. As far as being a reseller, I don't believe so as they told me that they are the sole seller of their product.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #34
GreensKeeper

Default Shed from the prison store

The picture below is the shed from the prison store. It cost me $2400 delivered and installed. Again, I provided the shingles. The cost would be a lot lower if you were to go with vinyl siding, OSB, etc.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #35
lawn psycho

Quote:
The picture below is the shed from the prison store. It cost me $2400 delivered and installed. Again, I provided the shingles. The cost would be a lot lower if you were to go with vinyl siding, OSB, etc.
That's a nice looking shed and $2400 is a good price. They even have eaves that look like a house and one of the reasons I built my own as many of the pre-builts have next to no overhang.

Do they make do Gazebos?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #36
GreensKeeper

Default Shed from prison store

Yes, they do make Gazebos. They are limited to what they can trailer on the highway but they also showed me a work shop they built that was built in two sections so they could tow it and then assemble it on site. Everything is custom built so there is a lead time you must consider. It took two months from order to delivery my shed. I bought it in the fall of 2009. Good luck.

They also have fire wood but that goes fast.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #37
SIKSUKR

Quote:
I bought my shed from the Concord prison store facility across the street from the prison. The inmates don't get paid but learn a trade.
According to this article,they do get paid.

Creative industries thrive at NH State Prison
By MICHAEL COUSINEAU
Union Leader Staff

CONCORD - Michael Sawyer added color to a handful of birdhouse ornaments he made to hang on Christmas trees.

Donald Briere, meanwhile, worked to finish a wooden chess table to go with the game pieces he carved.

The scene didn't quite resemble Santa's workshop, and their handmade items would not be sold in any store resembling your neighborhood Wal-Mart.

The woodworkers had plenty of time on their hands. Both have years left on their sentences at the maximum security New Hampshire State Prison. What their hobby-craft handiwork produced ended up in the hands of families or friends, or for sale in a spartan shop just up the road.

Briere explained that time spent making items for sale, family or charity helps pass the day-to-day monotony.

"Gets me out of the house," said Inmate Number 20689.

Prison shop

In a former milk house along North State Street, Gene and Gayle Seip walked the aisles at the "Corrections Creations" gift shop and store, open year-round at 312 North State.

The Hill couple visit so often that when they bought a jewelry box the previous day, "We could tell who made it just by looking at it," she said, rattling off the inmate's name.

"We're building a new house and I have my eyes on that buffet over there," Mrs. Seip said, gesturing toward the cherry sideboard going for $900.

"Quality," her husband said. "You can't beat the prices."

The pair left with a $149 tiger maple table, a $49 covered cherry basket and a $16 cherry Shaker box.

The building looked more garage sale than retail store. Wooden bowls were displayed on top of cherry tables.

While some inmates worked with wood, others called on paint. A 16-by-20 framed oil painting of a boy hunting with his dog was priced at $95.

A baby set with a sleeper, bib, booties and a purple bag to put it all in sold as a package for $10, the handiwork of a resident of the women's prison in Goffstown. Items also come from the Berlin prison.

Wooden rock horses sold for $60 and an oak cribbage board for $20. Leather backpacks went for $99 while a two-piece cherry hutch was priced at $2,300.

The store isn't without its sale items. A painting of Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s car with a tribute to his late dad was marked half off the $65 original price.

People admired the store for its quality and uniqueness.

"We're busy around the holidays," store manager Debora Nye said.

The store rings up more than $500,000 in annual sales. It takes a 10 percent commission on every item and the rest goes into a prisoner's account. The inmate must pay for the cost of materials.
But the benefits extend beyond mere money.

Time well spent

About 100 inmates work in the hobby-craft area.

"It's a good incentive for inmates to stay out of trouble," said John Limoge, the hobby-craft foreman.

Step out of line and you lose your privileges. And getting back in won't be easy because there's a waiting list.

Tools and infrastructure costs are paid from the inmate recreation fund, made up primarily of rebates from toll calls inmates make. The state covers the heat and electricity, according to Dennis Race, administrator of industries.

The prison offers an industries area where 300 inmates receive training and are paid up to $3.50 per day to make anything from license plates to wooden cabinets, he said.

Inmates work three- or four-hour shifts. The program is self-sufficient, selling items to state agencies, municipalities and libraries. Profits from the industries program go into the state's general fund, which in some years has reaped $250,000.

Inmates can use the money they earn to pay restitution, buy items from the prison canteen or send money to their families. The prison houses about 1,350 inmates.

Race said that, nationwide, statistics show that two-thirds of prisoners wind up back in prison within three years. For those in an industries program, the return rate is only about 11 percent.

Results of a study that the National Institute of Justice is doing should be released in mid-2005, according to Carol Martindale-Taylor, an information specialist at the National Correctional Industries Association in Baltimore.

"You talk to any of them out there and they'll tell you it does help prevent more tickets, write-ups and bad behavior in that prison," she said. "You have to keep them busy doing something constructive."

Skills

For many inmates, the prison work provides them with a skill they can use when they are released.

"It gives them something for on the way out," Martindale-Taylor said. Some also learn about how to conduct themselves in a working environment, although one with strict security, she said.

Joe Weedon, director of government affairs for the American Correctional Association in Lanham, Md., said it reduces idleness.

"Offenders are creative individuals and they find ways to keep their minds or themselves busy in ways that may not be good, from a security or safety aspect, for the institution," Weedon said. "Giving an inmate something to do leads to a safer and more secure environment."

In Concord last week, inmates in the industries section worked on cabinets for the Lebanon Housing Authority for buildings undergoing renovation.

"We're usually a third to half the cost of upscale furniture stores," said Mike Boudreau, the woodshop manager in the industries section.

"This is stuff that gets passed from generation to generation," he said. "It doesn't get thrown away in 10 years."

Briere's chess table — complete with a built-in board, drop leaves and carved pieces — sells for between $1,100 and $1,500. The Merrimack man might net around $700 or $800. The store, he said, already sold five similar tables.

"Usually," he said, "we christen the board. Somebody challenges me to a game and we play a game."

Briere, 43, figured he made at least $6,000 one year and can use his woodworking skills as a hobby after he gets out. That could be another dozen years, he said, depending on how his appeal goes.

"This here is something I can do as a retirement plan," he said.

The Corrections Creations store at 312 N. State St., is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday and closed Monday.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #38
GreensKeeper

Default Shed from the prison store

SIKSUKR is right the prisoners do get paid for making furniture but not for building sheds. This is what I was told and my invoice confirms it.
Having said that, when I offered this info it was from memory. I look all over for the invoice and found it this morning. Now for some corrections. First the shed is 10X14 not 10X16. The price for the shed was $2083.46 with a 10% surcharge of $208.35 and a delivery charge of $95.00. This is a little less than the $2400 I stated earlier.
The last time I was down there (about 3 months ago) the hours were limited to Saturday.
I will atemp to attached the invoice for the shed. If it does not work I will send it by email for anyone that is interested. Also, if you would like to see it, please send me an email.
Attached Files
File Type: txt shed parts list.txt (2.6 KB, 444 views)
Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #39
lawn psycho

Quote:
SIKSUKR is right the prisoners do get paid for making furniture but not for building sheds. This is what I was told and my invoice confirms it.
Having said that, when I offered this info it was from memory. I look all over for the invoice and found it this morning. Now for some corrections. First the shed is 10X14 not 10X16. The price for the shed was $2083.46 with a 10% surcharge of $208.35 and a delivery charge of $95.00. This is a little less than the $2400 I stated earlier.
The last time I was down there (about 3 months ago) the hours were limited to Saturday.
I will atemp to attached the invoice for the shed. If it does not work I will send it by email for anyone that is interested. Also, if you would like to see it, please send me an email.
I see the whole thing as win-win. State gets some money, prison return rate is much lower than average for these guys, and the public gets what appears to be a quality product at below market price.

So do they have scrap books of previous jobs or is every shed/gazebo a one-off that they have to price out (Ie, do they have a price sheet)?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #40
TheProfessor

I also recommend the Prison Shop on 3A just north of state prison. High quality workmanship on all goods at shop.

The retail store - actually an old farmhouse - has more then wood furniture. Some arts and crafts.

Worth a stop in just for the finely made cribbage boards.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #41
trfour

Smile Hi RLW, To Each Their Own...

Quote:
I'm just throwing something out after viewing the shed pictures. I sure hope that there were alot more studs added to the walls and that there were double headers added all around. If one did as you suggested regarding screwing everything, wouldn't a new home/addition cost a futune and this guy would be out of a job???

About using deck screws. Absolutely, it's a little more time consuming, however using a good screw gun and knowing that down the road, so to speak, money in the bank can work...

Tell me something, what does M&M in the blue hardhat get an hour?? He's been a'whack'in on that same nail since days now, and will have to return when it loosens up some more after the heat and cold gets to it...

Thank God we all have our way of doing things... What can I say, it works for me.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #42
RLW

Default Hi trfour and ya your right, each his own

You are correct in saying each his own in regarding how to build whatever as long as it meets all codes. I haven't seen very many nailed homes fall down unless the maintenance hasn't been taken for 100 years or more. Regarding the guy in the blue safety hat. He is going so fast you can't see him start and finish each wall he is building. I believe he is a union man.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #43
trfour

Thumbs up Hey, We Hear You Too...

Quote:
You are correct in saying each his own in regarding how to build whatever as long as it meets all codes. I haven't seen very many nailed homes fall down unless the maintenance hasn't been taken for 100 years or more. Regarding the guy in the blue safety hat. He is going so fast you can't see him start and finish each wall he is building. I believe he is a union man.
That is a big part of this very wonderful website... Ya, we all get to 'weirs we are going in many different ways... And I can say that none of my building projects has stood the test of time to date. However, loose nails, siding and others, have been a big thorn in my side, and very costly to me, being built by others, shall I say, over my years here on Earth.

Way back in the early 60s, I was in fact in the ShipBuilders & PipeFitters Union out of Boston MA.

No more, I did keep my Big Red LunchBox though!
I just wish that I had some more Waldow & Pepper's Lobsta rolls in there!

We Are all snow happy to have you here with us, RLW and that you got rid of that antique manual typewriter so's we can actually read just what you are saying...

Bless you,
Terry

PS; you made me do some math though, RLW It's been 44 years since I shed my affiliation with a union... Now'add'days whenever I build something, I 'Weirs one of my old Army hats, and one of my Winnipesaukee.com's T shirts. Pictured below.

#1. Building a deck over an existing cement 1.
#2. trfour on deck.
#3. Almost Complete. 16x24'er
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 02-23-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #44
dpg

Terry: Reeds Ferry has a commercial where they used to say your type of shed is built with "fall-a-partical-board."
Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #45
trfour

Post Good Point, It Shows That You Are Thinking...

I hear you dpg, about the "fall-a-partical-board." However, the shed kit pictured was purchased by some folks long before I was asked for my help to put it together. So, although partical-board would not be my choice of building materials, when you seal it well with quality stains and paints, all end grains and surfaces, it'll hold up pretty well.

I guess we'll have to see... I will be sure and get back to you, if it 'shed fall apart before I 'doo.

Terry

PS: Isn't this what PhotoPost is all about?

Last edited by trfour; 03-01-2011 at 07:02 PM.