Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
IrishEyes

Default Nh co-op power outages

Is anyone else experiencing almost daily power outages? The power goes out for a few seconds (just long enough to have to re-set the clocks) and comes back on. This has been happening in my neighborhood in Meredith.

I called NH Co-Op and they told me the problem was with Eversource! WHAT? I asked what Eversource had to do with it and she said that we get our power from them and they had some issues over the weekend. First of all, the issue has been going on for far longer than this past weekend and second, why do we have NH Co-op if our supplier is Eversource?

She then went on to say that I may need an electrician. I told her that my neighbors were also experiencing this issue and the problem was not localized at my residence. She said the outages were not registering on their system and that it was important for people to call in and report. So, if you have also been experiencing these annoying outages, please call and report @ 536-1800. Thanks.

IrishEyes
IrishEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
DesertDweller

We had the same issue on Sunday. Lights flickered/dimmed and then the power went out. Fortunately it only happened once for us. My guess is with the hot weather/bike week there was a lot of demand.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertDweller For This Useful Post:
IrishEyes (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
feb

Default Me Too

Had it happen Sunday around 3 and then early this morning.

I reset a couple of circuits trying to find the issue and then the power came on. I took credit for it on Sunday when the house was full. The cat was out of the bag when it happened today as it came back on too fast for me to get to the breaker box.

On the Meredith/Sanbornton line.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to feb For This Useful Post:
IrishEyes (06-22-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
winni83

I think some of the issues over the weekend were due to brownouts. At one point my automatic generator came on, but the neighbors still had power. If the voltage drops below some level, the generator disconnects from the grid and powers up and then reconnects to the grid when the issue is no longer present.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #5
MeredithMan

Default same here....

...regularly happens to us. I don't buy the excuse of, "it's not us, call an electrician.." It happens to too many people in the town and in my case, my house is only 9 yrs old.

Frankly, it's an annoyance and not even worth a phone call, as the outage is barely a few seconds. If it were days with no well and no septic, that would be a totally different issue.
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
IrishEyes (06-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #6
Hillcountry

I was thinking the same thing. Where do these 1-3 second outages come from?
I was going to call and complain but haven’t yet.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
bruinsfan

I called NHEC and they said that there have been several days with minor interruption the past two weeks because of transmission feeders that are being fixed.

Apparently the feeders belong to Eversource and NHEC buys a portion of their power from Eversource.

That's what they say...
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bruinsfan For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (06-19-2018), IrishEyes (06-20-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:24 AM   #8
CL 240 LS

Just had it happen here in Moultonborough this morning. It goes off and then comes right back on. Clocks flashing through out the house! Cable box reboot. This has been happing a lot. Called coop, asked to talk to engineer, took my number but no callback. Concerned about surge damage to electronics. Had tv and stereo damage last summer. Yes I have surge protectors.
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CL 240 LS For This Useful Post:
IrishEyes (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #9
Hillcountry

Just happened here too...we should all call to complain!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
IrishEyes (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #10
IrishEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 240 LS View Post
Just had it happen here in Moultonborough this morning. It goes off and then comes right back on. Clocks flashing through out the house! Cable box reboot. This has been happing a lot. Called coop, asked to talk to engineer, took my number but no callback. Concerned about surge damage to electronics. Had tv and stereo damage last summer. Yes I have surge protectors.
This happened about 3-4 years ago and it damaged a circuit panel on my new refrigerator that had to be replaced. Unfortunately, I do not have whole-house surge protection, but have all electronics and appliances on surge protectors. After all these recent surges, it may be time to replace them. Wonder if I can deduct the cost from my electric bill!!

There is another post about the volume going out on Metrocast. I have been having the same issue, but I have DirectTV! Makes me wonder if these surges and equipment malfunctioning are somehow related.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to call.

IrishEyes
Old 06-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #11
Sinclair

We've had consistent challenges with this in Wolfeboro too. Even with a whole house surge protector we've lost some expensive electronics (that were on their own protectors too).

I was looking briefly into putting the whole house behind a battery. This should solve both the outages and the surges. Tesla sells one, but it's not clear how many deployments they have or whether it will last long enough to be worth it.

Anyone have success with anything like this?
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #12
Hillcountry

I called this morning and reported the outage. Surprisingly enough I got a call back an hour later with some explanations of what “might” be happening.
First one was that if the lines get “tickled” by a branch there’s some kind of breaker or sensor that will “reset” causing a slight outage.
2nd one was possibly squirrels on the lines causing the resets.
The guy from NHEC was very nice on the phone and said he would refer the problem to the nearest sub station.
We’ll see..
Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #13
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 240 LS View Post
Just had it happen here in Moultonborough this morning. It goes off and then comes right back on.
Quote:
I called this morning and reported the outage. Surprisingly enough I got a call back an hour later with some explanations of what “might” be happening.

Relax, it's just FLL getting his screwdrivers and jumper cables back.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #14
Hivolt

Quote:
I was going to call and complain but haven’t yet.
The short outages come from a piece of equipment called a recloser. If a branch or something that creates a fault falls on the lines it will kick it out, and a couple seconds later the recloser closes back in, in the hopes that the fault cleared itself. In the event it hasn't the recloser will try 3 times to burn the stick or whatever else is on the line off of it.

If you pay attention the next time it happens and it's a big one you'll notice after the third flicker the lights go out permanently.
Hivolt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hivolt For This Useful Post:
pault842 (06-26-2018), Slickcraft (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 05:17 PM   #15
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivolt View Post
The short outages come from a piece of equipment called a recloser. If a branch or something that creates a fault falls on the lines it will kick it out, and a couple seconds later the recloser closes back in, in the hopes that the fault cleared itself. In the event it hasn't the recloser will try 3 times to burn the stick or whatever else is on the line off of it.

If you pay attention the next time it happens and it's a big one you'll notice after the third flicker the lights go out permanently.
In fact we have noticed that in the past, just never thought about it. If just one second out and back on then all is good. But 3 strikes and you are out.

Anyway boys a girls, this is New Hampshire and the power flicks off now and then.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #16
IrishEyes

Power out again! This time the power surged on and off 3 times before staying out. It's been off for over 30 minutes.
Anyone else without power?

IrishEyes