Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
NoBozo

Default The Americas Cup 2017 Begins

The competition is now taking place in Bermuda. The boats are carbon fiber "Foiling" Catamarans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EcCmR8AU-U

What do you think,? Compared to the resurrected J Class of 1937..also in carbon fiber..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8w6AL_VlAs. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
Orion

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reminder.....I was looking forward to watching this! They've certainly perfected the foils this year, flying through the whole course, even turns. Very exciting, but it really isn't a sailboat race any more. It's a whole new sport.....not that there's anything wrong with that.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:22 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

These newer boats are so different than in the past and are more of a competition of technology and money than ever before. Just a set of daggerboards cost about $300,000.

In 2007 the fastest boats topped out at about 15 knots. This years boats are running in the 50 knot range.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
NoBozo

I love the advances in technology and the engineering. In a past life I was an engineer.

Look around: There are now "Kits" to convert ....lets say..A Laser to... Foils. The old "Moth" class..is now "foiling"... today it is unrecognizable.

I am impressed with the advances in the technology.. BUT at the same time saddened . Just Sayin... NB

PS: Without Carbon Fiber ....this stuff would not be happening.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #5
fatlazyless

Default .... back to the 1980's

For $1500, and probably a lot less, after wheel'n and deal'n, you can own your own version of an America's Cup racing yacht.

Parked out by Route 25 in Holderness, close to Camp Deerwood, there's a dark blue 16' Hobie catamaran with a very tall mast with an asking price of $1500 ..... way lower price than an America's Cup racer, and much easier to upright after it capsizes ....... claims to be Larry Ellison's old boat .... back in the 1980's
Old 06-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Fun to watch but I miss the traditional single hull boats.
That was old school sailing that any sailor could relate to. The new cats are so high tech the hulls are not even touching water most of the time.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

Still love watching these races even though its so different. No potential screw ups like hoisting that spinaker or dragging it while bringing it in. And now we have grinders riding bikes. What a change. So here is my question: how are these steered with no rudder. I mean the foils dont steer do they? The mainsails hardly move from one side to the next. I did watch one race last week where there was a colision. Didnt look like much until you see the replay close up just missing the crew.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
SIKSUKR

Well I just researched it myself and see there are 2 rudders. I assumed that those on the rear were foils also. I now see how this works.
Wow, if you really want to read how complex these boat have become read this. I no idea there was this much input from the helmsman sailing these foils.
http://www.sailingworld.com/#page-2

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 06-06-2017 at 01:08 PM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #9
camp guy

Default Americas Cup boats

These boats are so advanced over their predecessors that one can only speculate about the next generation of racers.......maybe motors!
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
garysanfran

Default Watched the race in San Francisco 5 years ago...

I have sailed The Bay a lot. It can be very challenging and not for the faint-of-heart.

Remember this unintended maneuver by team Oracle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KNql99zT6s
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
NoBozo

Default Todays Technology..

With satellites, Offshore sailing boats (AND ships) can be tracked in real time. They sail with transponders on board that communicate with stations on shore.

The Bermuda 1-2 is currently underway with the first boats arriving at Bermuda as I post this.

http://www.bermuda1-2.org/

Click on "Tracker" and wait a few seconds for the connection to settle down. Then "Peck" around ..zoom in..drag around...and see what is there...

ALSO: Read NOTES for an ongoing text of what's going on in the fleet heading to Bermuda. NB
Old 06-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #12
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
With satellites, Offshore sailing boats (AND ships) can be tracked in real time. They sail with transponders on board that communicate with stations on shore.

The Bermuda 1-2 is currently underway with the first boats arriving at Bermuda as I post this.

http://www.bermuda1-2.org/

Click on "Tracker" and wait a few seconds for the connection to settle down. Then "Peck" around ..zoom in..drag around...and see what is there...

ALSO: Read NOTES for an ongoing text of what's going on in the fleet heading to Bermuda. NB
This is serious sailing. "Spadefoot" was abandoned on 5 June. (See the Notes) She is still drifting around out there. The skipper was picked up and is safe in Bermuda.

The Marion, (MA) Bermuda race will start tomorrow. Friday. They will have to contend with the derelict on their way to Bermuda....They will be using the same tracking system.....probably through the Marion/Bermuda website. NB
Old 06-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #13
NoBozo

Default Americas Cup 2017

Emirates Team New Zealand is the Challenger to the US Defending team Oracle NB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHd60BHhUus
Old 06-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #14
NoBozo

Default The 150 Foot Rule ...(in Bermuda)

The Americas Cup is about to begin. Team New Zealand Vs. Oracle. NB

A Little Fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgPpEjqsIZY
Old 06-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #15
SIKSUKR

Watched Oracle get their butts kicked in the first 4 races.I hope the Americans can turn it around like the last one in SF.winning 9-8 after being down 8-1.They looked totally outclassed so far.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #16
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Watched Oracle get their butts kicked in the first 4 races.I hope the Americans can turn it around like the last one in SF.winning 9-8 after being down 8-1.They looked totally outclassed so far.
I have to agree. They got their butts kicked.

I have NO idea how Oracle bailed themselves out of the SF thing three years ago.

I think we have to remember this whole thing is now "Commercial". This suggests to me that the goal here is to increase the interest....by hanging back for awhile. Maybe Oracle has a "Special" pair of dagger boards (foils) that they are holding back for the "right" time to put on the boat.

Remember: They pick the boards on race day. They can't change out the boards in between races on a given day. The boat has to be OUT of the water to change the boards. The boards are the key. NB
Old 06-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #17
SIKSUKR

Quote:

I have NO idea how Oracle bailed themselves out of the SF thing three years ago.

I think we have to remember this whole thing is now "Commercial". This suggests to me that the goal here is to increase the interest....by hanging back for awhile. Maybe Oracle has a "Special" pair of dagger boards (foils) that they are holding back for the "right" time to put on the boat.

Remember: They pick the boards on race day. They can't change out the boards in between races on a given day. The boat has to be OUT of the water to change the boards. The boards are the key. NB
Right and they had changed them for the last 2 races which seemed to make no difference in speed between the 2 boats. Is there 4 races again this weekend? If so it could be over quick.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #18
FlyingScot

Default Tougher this year

Quote:

A huge driver of overall speed during the race is the percentage of time spent foiling--sailing with only the dagger boards in the water. The key to Oracle's victory last time was that they figured out how to modify the foils to increase that percentage. Alas, for our guys, the boats are now spending almost all their time foiling. So it will be much tougher for them to gain speed from here.

Still thrilling to see these guys fly across the water, and even the losers will have been the second fastest sailors of all time.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #19
ApS

Question How Fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
A huge driver of overall speed during the race is the percentage of time spent foiling--sailing with only the dagger boards in the water. The key to Oracle's victory last time was that they figured out how to modify the foils to increase that percentage. Alas, for our guys, the boats are now spending almost all their time foiling. So it will be much tougher for them to gain speed from here.

Still thrilling to see these guys fly across the water, and even the losers will have been the second fastest sailors of all time.
With windsurfers taking up foils, how long before they break the windsurfers' 61-MPH World Record?

Attached Images

Old 06-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #20
NoBozo

Default Foiling Is Not New

This boat want's to do a California to Hawaii: NB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB8LKjZjAyk
Old 06-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #21
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
With windsurfers taking up foils, how long before they break the windsurfers' 61-MPH World Record?

Would one get a speeding ticket on Winni?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #22
FlyingScot

Quote:
This boat want's to do a California to Hawaii: NB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB8LKjZjAyk
Magnifique! Merci!

I love the passion to keep pushing just for the sake of the goal
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #23
NoBozo

Default America's Cup

WE Lose: Team New Zealand wins the America's Cup. Cheers to Team New Zealand. NB