Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
gravy boat

Default Wolves Making a Comeback?

Good afternoon,

A good friend of ours lives out in Gilmanton. He recently ( in the last 2 weeks) took a walk out on the ridge near his house after hearing the barking/yelps of a pack of what assumed were coy dogs or coyotes. At a certain point he stopped to listen for a few minutes and was almost run down by three deer darting down the hill and within a few feet of him. A minute later almost a dozen deer came bounding over and down, spread out and running from something. He waited quietly and watched and then saw what he said was a wolf. Definitely not a coyote or any hybrid of coyote or domestic. Said it was very healthy and absolutely beautiful. He made some noise so it knew he was there and wouldn't come any closer. It looked at him for a few seconds and then went back the way it came.

Has anybody else seen wolves in the area? I've seen coyotes all around the state, but never a wolf.

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Dave R

Two different "neighbors" of mine have told me that they saw a wolf last year here in Raymond. They don't know each other, so it seems more likely to me that neither was wrong. I have never seen one but I do hear packs of canines often roaming in the woods at night. I assumed they were coyotes, but maybe not...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
mg2107

How about a hybrid mix?
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Irish mist

Through recent genetic studies it has been shown that the eastern coyote is part wolf. The western coyote is a much smaller animal, It's likely that he seen this wolf/coyote hybrid.
________
Vaporizer.Org

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
jmen24

My parents live in the Pittsfield/Gilmanton corner of Loudon and my father has seen for himself and as have a few neighbors seen exactly the same thing (prob the same animal). After talking to the CO, F&G they first pushed it off as being a large coyote or hybrid. After the CO had the opp to see first hand and document with photos, it was determined that this animal in fact appears to be a North American Wolf, but unless someone shoots it and allows F&G to test it is open still for debate. Sceptics will run wild with this because they do not want to believe it, but it has been seen in the fields at the top of RT 129 by 5 people that my family knows (that at least recognize what a coyote looks like).
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Irish mist

It could be a lone wolf, but they are by nature pack animals so one would not expect to see a single animal. If it is a wolf it's possible somone released it in the area as opposed to it having shown up here on its own.
________
EASY VAPE VAPORIZER

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

If it was a Gray Wolf and someone shoots it they are screwed if they tell anyone seeing as it is a federally protected animal.

There is a group of wolves in Quebec so not that far from us.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

I had a grey wolf on my property in southern NH 6 years ago while a large construction project was underway. Never saw one before and we went right to the internet to see what this animal was. It was watching my cat and when my cat saw it she climbed up a tree. I thought that was a good move and I went out to watch the animal. I then learned that the grey wolf was one of a few if maybe the only in the canine family with the ability to climb trees.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
gravy boat

Default wolves

Thank you all. I had heard in the last few years that the wolf was moving further south from Canada into the northeastern US.

I believe this is the sign of a health eco system/food chain.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
carole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I had a grey wolf on my property in southern NH 6 years ago while a large construction project was underway.Never saw one before and we went right to the internet to see what this animal was.It was watching my cat and when my cat saw it she climbed up a tree.I thought that was a good move and I went out to watch the animal.I then learned that the grey wolf was one of a few if maybe the only in the canine family with the ability to climb trees.
I think you may be confusing this with a grey fox - they climb trees, not wolves.
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
Newbiesaukee

There is always the exception that proves the rules (I never quite understood what that means) but some wolves can climb trees.

http://kiza.kcore.de/wolfpaper-archive/2001-07-21

Nonetheless, as with anything on the internet, take with a grain of "Photoshop."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by carole View Post
I think you may be confusing this with a grey fox - they climb trees, not wolves.
After looking at the grey fox again, you are correct but here's one link I Googled:

The WeuUkoo Wolves - About the Grey WolvesThe WeuUkoo Wolves are a pack of grey wolves, belonging to a rare ... What makes the WeuUkoo different from other wolves is their ability to climb trees. ... but as the WeuUkoo Wolves have supporting counselors, they can also have only ...
www.weuukoo.com/01fweuukoo.htm - 4k - Cached - Similar pages
Old 04-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
Newbiesaukee

That's the problem with the internet. I found the same link, but I THINK that this is really a role playing game and not a real Wolf Pack. I am too old for this new technology.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Sorry, but I've got to see some proof before I believe we have wolves....always been rumors of mountain lions but never any proof. I'm not saying they're wrong, just know that the eye can be deceiving.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #15
SIKSUKR

I definately saw a mountain lion last spring while heading to my ski house.As soon as I exited 93/Parkway at Cannon Mt,the cat scooted right in front of my car.It was dusk so the markings were not clear but there was no mistake on the size of this cat.I talked with John Harrigan who writes for the Union Leader about wildlife.He was not suprized at all.I didn't know there had ever been sightings of big cats in NH.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #16
Belkin

Default Have also seen a mountain lion in NH

I have also seen a mountain lion in NH. I was driving to the dump in Merrimack NH during broad daylight and the cat walked in front of my pickup and it was no more than 50 feet in front of me. This was nearly 20 years ago. It was in January, but there had been a lot of rain that turned the snow into a very hard crust after it froze, so there was no chance of any foot prints. The mountain lion was a charcoal gray in color, with no other distinctive markings. My wife was also in the car. It was about 2.5 feet high at the shoulders with a long thick tail. The body was long and muscular and very different from a dogs. We really confirmed our sighting at the Boston Museum of Science. They have a stuffed one there and the one that we saw was virtually identical, except for the coloration. We did not report the sighting to anyone but our friends.

We had one person indicate that mountain lions occasionally come down from Canada.

Many years later, I was talking to a co-worker who also lived in Merrimack and she relayed a similar experience during about the same time frame. Except that in her case it was actually on her deck. So, she got a very good look at it.
Belkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #17
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I definately saw a mountain lion last spring while heading to my ski house.As soon as I exited 93/Parkway at Cannon Mt,the cat scooted right in front of my car.It was dusk so the markings were not clear but there was no mistake on the size of this cat.I talked with John Harrigan who writes for the Union Leader about wildlife.He was not suprized at all.I didn't know there had ever been sightings of big cats in NH.
I've been very interested in the topic of Mtn. Lions in NH & ME for years -- since hearing of a sighting in the Ossipees many years ago. I've done a bit of spelunking on the Interwebz in recent years and found a rash of sightings.

Here are a couple of sites with some accounts.

The one things that's still missing: a dead cat. If they are crossing so many roads, and being seen by folks, eventually one will get hit by a car or shot by a hunter. Then again, how many get hit in Western states with verified populations and many more cars & drivers?

There was bona fide Puma scat found in the Ossipees a few years ago, although they say it could have been from an animal that was released into the wild. But what are the odds of this?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
Flylady

Default Big cats in So. Cal.

We have a few "families" of cougars in the mountains to our West. In the 20 years I have lived in this area, I have never heard of a 'Cat" being hit by a car. We do however hear of their demise when they are found dead (usually poisoning) or lately by males killing other cubs. Because ofthe more dense population here the few that have survived have radio collars and their movement always monitors in case they decide to start picking of local pets or live stock for dinner.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #19
Argie's Wife

There are mountain lions in NH - don't doubt it - and a sighting here in Alton not too long ago by our neighbor. We have a stream that runs down Route 140 and borders several home-owners' property lines in our area. It sorta pools up behind my neighbors' house (Cats In The Cradle Soap) and they get a plethora of wildlife back there - beavers, bears, and mountain lions!

And bears are out now - I hear one "oof!"ing (that whispery-bark they do) the other night when I took the dog out... couldn't get back in the house fast enough thankyouverymuch!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #20
SAMIAM

Bears, moose, deer, fisher cats, coons...see them all the time.....just wondering why nobody has a picture of a mountain lion or wolf when there seem to be so many around.
Still a skeptic, but willing to change my ways when someone comes foward with a pic.........not off the internet, please.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #21
swnoel

In the early 80's, while deer hunting in southern part of the stat, I saw a mountain lion . There is no doubt what I saw.

I saw and actually touched, a wolf, upon investigating, it was a Timber Wolf or Grey Wolf.

This animal was dead and apparently it, along with a pack of 6, was harassing horses and was shot.

It was an inmature male, but the size was larger than that of a Shepard.

It did not have any tags or tracking means.

I believe this occured in either Middleton or Wolfeboro, in the mid 90's.

These animals are here and not by accident.

I believe they've been introduced back into the state, without any approvals.

I can't prove it, but that's my gut feeling.

Some of you are seeing wolves.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #22
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
In the early 80's, while deer hunting in southern part of the stat, I saw a mountain lion . There is no doubt what I saw.

I saw and actually touched, a wolf, upon investigating, it was a Timber Wolf or Grey Wolf.

This animal was dead and apparently it, along with a pack of 6, was harassing horses and was shot.

It was an inmature male, but the size was larger than that of a Shepard.

It did not have any tags or tracking means.

I believe this occured in either Middleton or Wolfeboro, in the mid 90's.

These animals are here and not by accident.

I believe they've been introduced back into the state, without any approvals.

I can't prove it, but that's my gut feeling.

Some of you are seeing wolves.

My only wish SamSome would take a picture.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #23
SIKSUKR

Default Photos?

The problem with getting a photo of a cat is that these cats are in sight for only a few seconds. They don't hang around (like the bear photos in another thread) and wait for you to take their picture. My sighting lasted probably 3-4 seconds and was clearly a large cat that appeared about 2 to 2 1/2 feet tall.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #24
lakeforest

I live in Illinois about twenty five miles north of Chicago and about twenty miles south of the Wisconsin border. Two years ago over the winter there were periodic reports of people seeing a large "cat" that began in the western part of Wisconsin. There was speculation it may be a mountain lion but no one had a photo of it and only those who had seen it really believed it was a lion. About two months after the original sightings, a 185 pound male mountain lion was shot and killed by police in downtown Chicago.

Zoo officials examined the animal and concluded it was wild and most likely came from the Black Hills of South Dakota, over a thousand miles away. So, I believe there are probably wolves in New Hampshire. Why not?
lakeforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #25
jmen24

The funny thing about mountain lions is you are actually a fairly lucky person to even see one. Having spent two weeks in the high hills of Colorado last October on an elk hunt, we had this conversation about what to do if we had an encounter with a lion. The outfitter who had been in that area for more than 15 years said that we would most likely not see a cat while we were hunting, and he was right. He stated that he had only seen two cats in the 15 years he was in that area. I will tell you that I personally crossed at least three different tracks each day, some fresh some not and no cat to be seen. This is in an area that these cats are everywhere. It is in there blood to be silent and to move undetected.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #26
SAMIAM

Maybe a picture of the dead wolf would have been helpful.Also...a call to fish and game would have proven it once and for all.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #27
jmen24

Default Some Reading

Here are some links to NH fish and game about wolves.

http://www.wildnh.com/Hunting/Huntin...ndout_NHFG.pdf

If F&G has a section in the current year trappers guide about avoiding these animals I would have to think that they think it is highly probable to have wolves in NH.

and another
http://www.wildnh.com/Wildlife/Wildl...ort_013004.htm

and one more (Go to page 32 of this PDF as it is a long one)
http://www.wildnh.com/Wildlife/Wildl..._A_Mammals.pdf

These articles have some great information regarding wolves in and around New Hampshire.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #28
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Maybe a picture of the dead wolf would have been helpful.Also...a call to fish and game would have proven it once and for all.

Your joking!!! Unless of course you want to wear bracelets.

There was no intent to kill a wolf, this person thought it was a coyote, when he got close to the animal, he was stunned and brought it to me for identification.

If the state had been notified , undoubtably he would of been arrested, and his life would of changed forever.

It was suggested that he dispose of the animal and shut his mouth, which apparently he did.

The proving of any mystery animal, such as mountain lions, wolves, or even bigfoot could be disasterous to the logging industry, hunting, and trapping.

The decimation of the whitetail deer is presently occuring in northern Maine due to the accidental trapping of a couple of Canadian Lynxes.

Trapping for coyotes in deer yards is no longer allowed and coyotes are literally destroying the herd.

Incedently the Canadian Lynx is not an endangered species, Northern Maine is in it's southern range and from time to time, they do enter this area looking for it's favorite food, snowshoe hare.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #29
Keith

Default Local coyotes are large animals

I can see why people would confuse a coyote for a wolf, if you have not seen either before. They are large. Here is a pic of one from Tuftonboro. I am standing in the background, and am 5'9-225lbs.
Attached Images

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #30
Grant

That's a good-sized coyote. Most that I've seen down here in PA are slightly smaller...I think. We almost hit one on the Mass Pike a few years ago -- on a hot, sunny July mid-day. Weird.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #31
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I can see why people would confuse a coyote for a wolf, if you have not seen either before. They are large. Here is a pic of one from Tuftonboro. I am standing in the background, and am 5'9-225lbs.
Wow, I was not expecting that coloring. Are they typically that color, or is there a variety?
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #32
Grant

Color variations in the Eastern Coyotes is often attributed to past interbreeding with Gray Wolves, and blonde, red and even black variations are reported. Most are that tawny/gray. The larger size of easterns is another trait believed to be a result of gray wolfe interbreeding.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #33
Irish mist

Thanks for posting that picture Keith. This shows that the Eastern Coyote is indeed part wolf, and this is what I think most people are seeing in New England. A coywolf, or hybrid was found in Maine that had 89% wolf DNA.
________
JUSTIN BIEBER FAN

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #34
swnoel

I have seen that variation a number of times, most of us call it a blonde coyote, but that animals doesn't come close to looking like a Timber Wolf.

I could guess that the standard variation could confuse a lay person.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #35
jmen24

Default Nice Coyote

Real nice, one of the females I got this year was the same color with more black on her face.

That may appear to be a large coyote, but it is nothing in size comparison to a wolf. My father is a taxidermist and the largest coyote he has done is still in the house and its weight was still under 60lbs. The female that I described above weighed in at 33lbs and stretched 3/4 of the length of the tailgate of my full size pickup. Measurements are not taken with the animal fully stretched out and you can make anything look and sound bigger be doing such, heck I am almost 8 1/2 feet tall with my arms stretched over my head.

The largest coyote on the pool board at the Smith River Trading post for the last two years is still under 60lbs.

Until you have the opportunity to see a full size wolf in comparison to a coyote you cannot say that is what people are seeing. Take a ride to any of the Cabelas stores closest to you they will have both within close proximity and you will notice that there is absolutely no way you are mistaking the two.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #36
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Until you have the opportunity to see a full size wolf in comparison to a coyote you cannot say that is what people are seeing. Take a ride to any of the Cabelas stores closest to you they will have both within close proximity and you will notice that there is absolutely no way you are mistaking the two.
jmen

While you are indeed right, most people could tell the difference , but, there are plenty of those that couldn't, some can't tell the difference between a grey fox and a coyote.

I once had someone tell me they saw a badger along the road, of course it was a woodchuck, but they didn't know.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #37
Keith

Default weight

I would guess that one was around 45 lbs. It was young.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #38
EricP

We lived on the edge of Bear Brook State Park years ago and at some point in '95-'96 my wife woke me up one night at about 1:30 and brought me to the window, right outside our window was a mountain lion. He wasn't there very long and no way did I have any time for a pic, even if I had thought to get one by the time I found the camera he would have been long gone. He was beautiful, large, beige in color and muscualr. Gigantic paws as well, he was not to be messed with for sure. I mentioned it at work on Monday (this happened over the weekend) to a coworker and he said he father had just read an article in the Sunday paper that mountain lions were making a come back in Bear Brook State Park.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #39
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

How beautiful. They look so pretty and innocent. Keith, do you have any news for us?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #40
Keith

not to throw this thread off topic, we got a huge bill from our isp (upper 3 digits) for bandwidth usage, due to a security hole in their system, it was because of our site, and their backend etc- so we took the site offline. Its in a rebuild state, and will hopefully be backup sometime soon. Neither of us have had time to work on it.

back on topic, a friend saw a lynx yesterday on 171 in tboro.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #41
gravy boat

Default Citizen Article -- Wolves

Thought you'd be interested in an article in today's Citizen. Some good press for the forum as well! ;-)

GB

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...927/-1/CITIZEN