Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default Going Solar with SunRay solar

Just signed up to have solar put on my roof with SunRay Solar out of Concord. Can't wait to get it working with a 10.6kw system sould be enough to cover what I use. Already have solar hot water (tubes) that work great. Be nice to see that meter turn the other direction. I Like these guys they have done other work in the lakes region...............come on SUN
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 603
Thanked 684 Times in 423 Posts
Default

Is your system net-metering through your utility provider or off-grid battery storage?
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,752
Thanks: 2,280
Thanked 834 Times in 578 Posts
Default NH Magazine

Has a great article on 'Virtual Grid'. The laws had to be changed to allow this. They show a yoga studio in Sandwich as an example.
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
Andrea.wiltfong
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 48
Thanks: 27
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default we are considering going solar

We have been discussing going solar power in the spring. My husband is hoping to cut our bill completely out at the least. Do you know when you get your investment back? The average time it takes? 5-10 years?
Andrea.wiltfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
chasedawg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melvin village
Posts: 346
Thanks: 348
Thanked 175 Times in 90 Posts
Default Sunday solar

I have an appointment with Sunray Solar as well. I looked into solar a few years ago when I want Geothermal. Then the cost for panels was higher and not much incentives. ROI was 15 years. Now from what I have been told so far the panels are more efficient and cost less. ROI may possibly be now 5-6 years. We will see how it goes. Anyone else had any PV solar experience?
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea.wiltfong View Post
We have been discussing going solar power in the spring. My husband is hoping to cut our bill completely out at the least. Do you know when you get your investment back? The average time it takes? 5-10 years?
it depends on a few things, cost of electricty, size of the system you put in and these credits they sell every year(i still don't understand them). You also can get a credit on your property taxs if your town has set that up. In my case it looks like it will be about 8 or 9 years. Give them a call they are great people to work with. I will say that there price is a little higher because of what they use for equipment. But you get what you pay for is what i have found out.
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Den65 For This Useful Post:
Andrea.wiltfong (10-21-2014), SAMIAM (10-22-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Is your system net-metering through your utility provider or off-grid battery storage?
I believe it is net-metering there will be no batteries. They are using the En-Phase micro inverters which are more expensive but I think they are worth it nice neat install. Can monitor the the system from your smart phone. The panels are 265watt panels. I'm learning
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default Meet Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
I have an appointment with Sunray Solar as well. I looked into solar a few years ago when I want Geothermal. Then the cost for panels was higher and not much incentives. ROI was 15 years. Now from what I have been told so far the panels are more efficient and cost less. ROI may possibly be now 5-6 years. We will see how it goes. Anyone else had any PV solar experience?
Hope you get to meet Mike Fay (owner), nice guy loves what he is doing. There quote might be a little high but I've been looking around and they are doing some quality work. There web site has a house in tuftonboro that I have seen and the one in Center harbor is right up the street from me. Erik was my sales person
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
secondcurve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,014
Thanks: 1,103
Thanked 528 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
it depends on a few things, cost of electricty, size of the system you put in and these credits they sell every year(i still don't understand them). You also can get a credit on your property taxs if your town has set that up. In my case it looks like it will be about 8 or 9 years. Give them a call they are great people to work with. I will say that there price is a little higher because of what they use for equipment. But you get what you pay for is what i have found out.
The bottom line solar isn't cost competitive. The only reason the payback is approx. 8-10 years is the government subsidies (and we all know the Gov has no qualms about spending our children's money). Solar would be 30+ years without tax incentives. We should be pushing natural gas powered trucks and homes but the Enviro-Taliban crowd view nat-gas as an enemy since it is carbon based despite the clean burning nature of the fuel.

Last edited by secondcurve; 10-24-2014 at 07:17 PM.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
glennsteely (06-07-2015), ITD (10-22-2014), Jersey Ed (10-22-2014), Mboro_Bill (10-30-2014), wynndog (10-26-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 603
Thanked 684 Times in 423 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
I believe it is net-metering there will be no batteries. They are using the En-Phase micro inverters which are more expensive but I think they are worth it nice neat install. Can monitor the the system from your smart phone. The panels are 265watt panels. I'm learning
To produce 10.6kw using 265 watt panels would need 40 panels. That seems like a lot panels stationed somewhere on your property.
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
Andrea.wiltfong
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 48
Thanks: 27
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default wow...lots of information

wow there is a lot of information to absorb without a glass of wine :-)

I will say just a year or so ago we were stationed on Fort Dix, NJ and a ton of the base housing had solar panels on them. Not all but a lot of them. Everywhere you go in central to south jersey you see them, farms etc....

So they surely must save money if the military is spending a lot to install on base housing :-) cause gov't doesn't ever waste money LOL
Andrea.wiltfong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrea.wiltfong For This Useful Post:
acanthus (07-16-2015)
Old 10-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #12
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default 40 panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
To produce 10.6kw using 265 watt panels would need 40 panels. That seems like a lot panels stationed somewhere on your property.
Yup you are correct 40 panels on the garage roof, front and on the back shed dormer.
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #13
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,417
Thanks: 136
Thanked 209 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea.wiltfong View Post
wow there is a lot of information to absorb without a glass of wine :-)

I will say just a year or so ago we were stationed on Fort Dix, NJ and a ton of the base housing had solar panels on them. Not all but a lot of them. Everywhere you go in central to south jersey you see them, farms etc....

So they surely must save money if the military is spending a lot to install on base housing :-) cause gov't doesn't ever waste money LOL
I used to visit Fort Bliss in Texas a lot and their housing also had solar panels on the roof. In NJ did each roof have just a small handful of panels or was the entire roof covered? I'm thinking there was probably just a few in which case their probably only heating water with them. Such as the case in Tx from what I understand...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:20 AM   #14
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,417
Thanks: 136
Thanked 209 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
The bottom line solar isn't cost competitive. The only reason the payback is approx. 8-10 years is the government subsidies the purchase (and we all know the Gov has no qualms about spending our children's money). Solar would be 30+ years without tax incentives. We should be pushing natural gas powered trucks and homes but the Enviro-Taliban crowd view nat-gas as an enemy since it is carbon based despite the clean burning nature of the fuel.
I agree the payback just isn't there (yet.) In Mass a few companies are advertising a free solar install however the catch is you agree to give back just about everything you produce back in the "system" that's how the company eventually gets their payback. Their sort of in turn selling the electricity produced back to the electric company and you sign a contract committing to that setup for many years depending on every homes situation. For the install you usually save around 10% a month off your bill that's it. The only way to benefit from day one is to write them a check upon completion and you own the system. For app. a $25,000 install cost there's a good chance I may not be around to even break even.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (10-23-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #15
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,564
Thanks: 454
Thanked 799 Times in 552 Posts
Default

I really wanted to do something with solar and I talked with the guy from the place in Laconia. I can't think of his co. name, but he was on this forum for a while. He told me not to do it. I was disappointed but at least he was honest.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
old coot (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #16
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,417
Thanks: 136
Thanked 209 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I really wanted to do something with solar and I talked with the guy from the place in Laconia. I can't think of his co. name, but he was on this forum for a while. He told me not to do it. I was disappointed but at least he was honest.
hmmm he was in that (solar) industry and told you not to?? How come can you elaborate??
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #17
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 603
Thanked 684 Times in 423 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
Yup you are correct 40 panels on the garage roof, front and on the back shed dormer.
Would it be possible to show us a picture of what they look like on you garage and shed? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of getting some PV panels also. Not to the extent that you did but maybe half that many.
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #18
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,564
Thanks: 454
Thanked 799 Times in 552 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
hmmm he was in that (solar) industry and told you not to?? How come can you elaborate??
Basically I think he felt it wouldn't be cost effective at all for us. I was very surprised too, that being in the business, he would tell me to not do it.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #19
wifi
Senior Member
 
wifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 1,321
Thanks: 282
Thanked 287 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Not meaning to comment positive, negative or criticize, but I find it astonishing that their gallery has so many panels mounted on roofs. I know for a fact, after operating off grid solar for 30 years, that aim (compass position) as well as tilt has to be right on, or you lose a lot of power. Just how many houses have the perfect roof slope and aimed exactly right? I don't see any lift on the top and bottom of the arrays to compensate. Again, not a criticism, just amazing.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:04 AM   #20
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 603
Thanked 684 Times in 423 Posts
Default

This is how (if possible) I want mine to go:


__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #21
jrc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hollis/Gilford
Posts: 2,688
Thanks: 33
Thanked 437 Times in 247 Posts
Default

Remember pendulums swing both ways. For the last five years solar has been red hot, but now oil prices are crashing, and the politics are changing. It's not 2009 anymore.

Ask yourself one more question, if you have to sell your house in a few years, is it worth more or less with solar panels on the roof? All else being equal would you buy a house with old solar panels on the roof.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #22
HellRaZoR004
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Litchfield/Gilford
Posts: 824
Thanks: 231
Thanked 224 Times in 131 Posts
Default Snow? Roof Age?

Okay, silly question. Who's going up on the roof after every snow storm to clean the panels?

Make sure you have a new roof, otherwise in a few years you may be taking the panels off to replace the roofing due to age.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Okay, silly question. Who's going up on the roof after every snow storm to clean the panels?

Make sure you have a new roof, otherwise in a few years you may be taking the panels off to replace the roofing due to age.
On a 12 pitch roof facing south they are pretty much self cleaning, just as the roof is now with out them. Also when you are covering pretty much the whole roof the abuse on the shingles stops. The back part which is a SHED Dormer roof (still part of the garage) is a little different with a lower pitch (a 4) which is fairly flat I may have to do something but then again those panels won't be working much for 3 to 4 months and I have accepted that. As the off grid guy said not many people have true south facing roofs but I built my house to be as close to that as I can thats why the tube system I have on my house now for hot water( Main house not garage) works well. I would not be doing it if that was not the case. I would go mounted in the yard. Solar isn't for everyone but I'm betting the price of electicity will go up just as fuel will again at some point and I'd like to be doing something to cut that off if I live long enough to see the whole pay back ok, if not I hope the kids enjoy it...
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #24
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,752
Thanks: 2,280
Thanked 834 Times in 578 Posts
Default Shoreline Protection Act

In 2009, I was a project manager for a beautiful home located on the Northern end of the lake. The owner wish to populate the shorefront with solar panels because the law protected the trees. DES claims he could not place panels permanently along the shoreline and solar panels are not a good 'excuse' to cut down the trees. The trees were grown to the point it block the sunlight off season and in the morning and evening hours. He planned on placing the solar panels on movable dollies to circumvent the law. I have yet to see him do so.

Things may have changed since then. I was told there was a number of modification to the law.
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #25
codeman671
Senior Member
 
codeman671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,522
Thanks: 97
Thanked 369 Times in 236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
Just signed up to have solar put on my roof with SunRay Solar out of Concord. Can't wait to get it working with a 10.6kw system sould be enough to cover what I use. Already have solar hot water (tubes) that work great. Be nice to see that meter turn the other direction. I Like these guys they have done other work in the lakes region...............come on SUN
Out of curiosity how much did they quote you for the system? What are the rebates like?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #26
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,139
Thanks: 1,449
Thanked 2,937 Times in 1,117 Posts
Default Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
Solar isn't for everyone but I'm betting the price of electicity will go up just as fuel will again at some point and I'd like to be doing something to cut that off if I live long enough to see the whole pay back ok, if not I hope the kids enjoy it...
That's a great attitude to have and I commend you for trying to reduce your "footprint".

Good luck with your project!! I sincerely hope you will keep us updated as to it's progress and savings!

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Den65 (10-23-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #27
Orion
Senior Member
 
Orion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Cow Island
Posts: 891
Thanks: 530
Thanked 163 Times in 82 Posts
Default the key benefit

So far unmentioned is the key benefit of having power when the grid goes down, which could happen due to weather or terrorist activity. It's not a matter of if the power will go down, it's just a matter of when and how often.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #28
MGWillia
Senior Member
 
MGWillia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alton Bay!
Posts: 165
Thanks: 116
Thanked 127 Times in 46 Posts
Default Slightly Off Topic

But another question has hit me (as the new guy headed up soon)... How often does the region have power outages? more than the average of other areas?
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #29
chasedawg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melvin village
Posts: 346
Thanks: 348
Thanked 175 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWillia View Post
But another question has hit me (as the new guy headed up soon)... How often does the region have power outages? more than the average of other areas?

Today and tonight we are having high winds and a great deal of rain in Tuftonboro. We lost power around 5:00 Pm and our 20KW Koehler generator we purchased from Generator Connections last year is running straight out.
This was the first outage we have had this year. I can't speak for other areas.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #30
Andrea.wiltfong
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 48
Thanks: 27
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I used to visit Fort Bliss in Texas a lot and their housing also had solar panels on the roof. In NJ did each roof have just a small handful of panels or was the entire roof covered? I'm thinking there was probably just a few in which case their probably only heating water with them. Such as the case in Tx from what I understand...
oh a lot of the houses had them and they covered the whole roof or at least one side. If you go down streets on base housing they were lined on all roof tops top to bottom. It was for electric...
Andrea.wiltfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #31
Andrea.wiltfong
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 48
Thanks: 27
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default I think this thread jinxed the whole power being out

I am kind of finding it funny, that there is discussions of power outages today earlier and now there are power outages LOL. Ok I only think it is funny because I have power at my house, but I am sure I wouldn't be too happy if I were in an area that doesn't have it.
Andrea.wiltfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #32
MGWillia
Senior Member
 
MGWillia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alton Bay!
Posts: 165
Thanks: 116
Thanked 127 Times in 46 Posts
Default Been contemplating this

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Today and tonight we are having high winds and a great deal of rain in Tuftonboro. We lost power around 5:00 Pm and our 20KW Koehler generator we purchased from Generator Connections last year is running straight out.
This was the first outage we have had this year. I can't speak for other areas.
But I haven't seen one actually running. Just how loud are they? I'm thinking my neighbors are going to be pretty close. As much as I would like the security of a backup, I'm concerned (even in an outage) about being an annoyance.
Something you can compare it to?
Thanks
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #33
codeman671
Senior Member
 
codeman671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,522
Thanks: 97
Thanked 369 Times in 236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
So far unmentioned is the key benefit of having power when the grid goes down, which could happen due to weather or terrorist activity. It's not a matter of if the power will go down, it's just a matter of when and how often.
A grid tie system is useless when the grid goes down. The only way it will work is if you have a battery bank to store energy to. Battery banks are extremely expensive when brought to scale.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #34
MeredithMan
Senior Member
 
MeredithMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Meredith & Sudbury, MA
Posts: 430
Thanks: 134
Thanked 412 Times in 143 Posts
Default Generator Noise....

MGWillia--

I have a 20KW Generac. I would describe it as perhaps a little louder than when a slab-mounted home Central Air compressor kicks on. (I know this is a relative term, since some AC units are louder than others) Definitely not as loud as a lawn mower. You can definitely hear it, but it is not that bad.

Also, if you have a well and septic, I can tell you from personal experience it gets pretty gross around the house after a day or two without power. Don't worry about offending your neighbors!
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:13 AM   #35
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,417
Thanks: 136
Thanked 209 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Besides after a day or two without power if you invite neighbors over for pizza, coffee, whatever they will also be happy you have one.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #36
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,417
Thanks: 136
Thanked 209 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWillia View Post
But I haven't seen one actually running. Just how loud are they? I'm thinking my neighbors are going to be pretty close. As much as I would like the security of a backup, I'm concerned (even in an outage) about being an annoyance.
Something you can compare it to?
Thanks
Generally speaking "big box store" "cheaper" ones will be louder than a quality unit built with noise in mind. All the big / better name manufacturers offer "quieter" units at a premium of course.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #37
MGWillia
Senior Member
 
MGWillia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alton Bay!
Posts: 165
Thanks: 116
Thanked 127 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Thanks dpg. Generally speaking, all in, what does a kohler, installed run? And if you know, how much fuel does it consume? The place we are looking at is oil heat, so is need a separate tank.
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #38
SIKSUKR
Senior Member
 
SIKSUKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,061
Thanks: 215
Thanked 893 Times in 505 Posts
Default

Making your own electricity is very expensive. If I ran my little 5000 watt 24-7 it cost about $40 a day. I still would never be without one. Oh, and don't worry about your neighbors. The only thing that would annoy them is if you have one and their house is dark.
__________________
SIKSUKR
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #39
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,417
Thanks: 136
Thanked 209 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWillia View Post
Thanks dpg. Generally speaking, all in, what does a kohler, installed run? And if you know, how much fuel does it consume? The place we are looking at is oil heat, so is need a separate tank.
Not really sure about Kohler - google it...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #40
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 754
Thanks: 219
Thanked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Default Calculating the payback period...

I see lots of mention of the time for "payback" for installing solar and eliminating the cost of utility provided electricity. In calculating the payback period, is the present and future value of the initial investment factored in with an internal return if invested elsewhere for 10 years?

For example. If I take $10,000 and invest it today at an average return of 5% yearly, in 10 years that $10k would then be worth $16,470.10. Would the initial $10k investment save $6,470.10 over 10 yrs.?
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #41
MeredithMan
Senior Member
 
MeredithMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Meredith & Sudbury, MA
Posts: 430
Thanks: 134
Thanked 412 Times in 143 Posts
Default generator cost and fuel consumption

Hi again MG WIllia--

I know you asked for Kohler figures, but I thought I would give you my Generac figures, so you at least have a ballpark. 20KW with 100 amp automatic transfer switch, $9500.00, which included all parts, delivery, installation, etc. Purchase price is directly proportional to KW size of the generator. (Note that this is at my primary home in CT where EVERYHING is expensive. NH figures may be less). I use propane fuel and it burns approx. 3 gallons per hour. Current cost of propane is around $2.80-ish per gallon. I have a 500 gallon propane tank and could therefore go almost a week on the generator 24 hours per day.

good luck.

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #42
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,139
Thanks: 1,449
Thanked 2,937 Times in 1,117 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWillia View Post
Thanks dpg. Generally speaking, all in, what does a kohler, installed run? And if you know, how much fuel does it consume? The place we are looking at is oil heat, so is need a separate tank.
I just had a 20KW Kohler installed by the Generator Connection and it cost right around $8,500.00 for everything.

It uses approximately 2.25 gallons per hour at full load. I also had a 500 gallon LP tank installed...

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #43
MGWillia
Senior Member
 
MGWillia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alton Bay!
Posts: 165
Thanks: 116
Thanked 127 Times in 46 Posts
Default Thanks!

Very useful information.. thanks again
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #44
chasedawg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melvin village
Posts: 346
Thanks: 348
Thanked 175 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I just had a 20KW Kohler installed by the Generator Connection and it cost right around $8,500.00 for everything.

It uses approximately 2.25 gallons per hour at full load. I also had a 500 gallon LP tank installed...

Dan
I have the same Generator. Same cost and it includes trenching if necessary and running all lines. A nice turn key installation.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #45
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,281
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 193
Thanked 484 Times in 358 Posts
Default

www.nhec.com/news.php increasing electric rates starting October 1. With gasoline now below three dollars per gallon, and electric rates going up .... not sure what this all has to do with installing solar panels on the roof of your house....but something to consider......duh....what?
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #46
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 603
Thanked 684 Times in 423 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
www.nhec.com/news.php increasing electric rates starting October 1. With gasoline now below three dollars per gallon, and electric rates going up .... not sure what this all has to do with installing solar panels on the roof of your house....but something to consider......duh....what?
Thanks for the info FLL...that is a good reason for people to start investing in solar energy as well as other sources of renewable energy.
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #47
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 352
Thanks: 4
Thanked 93 Times in 47 Posts
Default

time could prove me wrong but I think solar is a poor investment. subsidies will expire as nat gas (almost limitless supply) becomes even more competitive. solar panels are ugly and they depreciate. think it's a fad that will become fade over the next 5-10 years.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #48
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 603
Thanked 684 Times in 423 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
time could prove me wrong but I think solar is a poor investment. subsidies will expire as nat gas (almost limitless supply) becomes even more competitive. solar panels are ugly and they depreciate. think it's a fad that will become fade over the next 5-10 years.
Evidently Vermont doesn't think so. Vt Towns are going bongers over solar energy.
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #49
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,752
Thanks: 2,280
Thanked 834 Times in 578 Posts
Default Tell that to Deen Kamen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
time could prove me wrong but I think solar is a poor investment. subsidies will expire as nat gas (almost limitless supply) becomes even more competitive. solar panels are ugly and they depreciate. think it's a fad that will become fade over the next 5-10 years.
The inventor of the Sedgeway and originator of USRobotics. He invested heavily into solar. Just look at all the solar panels on top of the buildings he owns in Manchester!

Also, UNH appears to be going solar.
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #50
HellRaZoR004
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Litchfield/Gilford
Posts: 824
Thanks: 231
Thanked 224 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The inventor of the Sedgeway and originator of USRobotics. He invested heavily into solar. Just look at all the solar panels on top of the buildings he owns in Manchester!

Also, UNH appears to be going solar.
Segway
FIRST

HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #51
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 352
Thanks: 4
Thanked 93 Times in 47 Posts
Default

sycophants all. time will tell. and are you truly suggesting we should take a cue from VERMONT!
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #52
codeman671
Senior Member
 
codeman671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,522
Thanks: 97
Thanked 369 Times in 236 Posts
Default

I do not agree that its a fad. It is the future. The sun is not going away, if it does we all will be in a different place...

The cost of the technology is getting progressively cheaper, within a few years I think it will be much more affordable for the average consumer. At some point the rebates and incentives will diminish, however the cost per solar generated KW will decrease as well putting it well below the power companies, which are only increasing their rates and will continue to do so as people look to feed the grid with their own generated power. Some companies are starting to charge a grid maintenance fee to grid-tied solar providers/consumers.

Panels are becoming more efficient, and new ways of focusing/channeling the sunlight to increase panel output are in the works. I am hoping for new technology in storage such as better batteries so that you can go off-grid easier and to scale. The batteries needed to power a 5000 square foot house these days would make you go broke just setting it up.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #53
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,752
Thanks: 2,280
Thanked 834 Times in 578 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
time could prove me wrong but I think solar is a poor investment. subsidies will expire as nat gas (almost limitless supply) becomes even more competitive. solar panels are ugly and they depreciate. think it's a fad that will become fade over the next 5-10 years.
Solar panels may be ugly, so are roof tops! I would much rather see solar panels on rooftops than high tension lines in our valleys and wind turbines on our mountain tops!
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BroadHopper For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-25-2014), Den65 (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #54
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 352
Thanks: 4
Thanked 93 Times in 47 Posts
Default

ok guys, check back in five years to see who's right. you're investing in yesterday technology that is irreversibly being installed on your house. to offset a minor electrical bill which may become cheaper (relative to inflation) over time. good luck with that. peace. out.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #55
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 603
Thanked 684 Times in 423 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
sycophants all. time will tell. and are you truly suggesting we should take a cue from VERMONT!
Something wrong with Vermont that I don't know?
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #56
secondcurve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,014
Thanks: 1,103
Thanked 528 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Something wrong with Vermont that I don't know?
Rusty:

Nope. It is a great place to ski and look at the foliage in October.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Rusty (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #57
inquiring one
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 58
Thanks: 46
Thanked 29 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Or Maybe ...??
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/792582...r_free_energy/
inquiring one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #58
wynndog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alton
Posts: 98
Thanks: 170
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default power

I think it's more windy here than sunny, why can't someone figure out 2 or 3 3ft. high wind turbines for the roof or a house? Not everyone has a southern exposure for solar either. Also the only wind I can find are real high prop ones.
Wynn
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #59
brk-lnt
Senior Member
 
brk-lnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Down Shores
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 463
Thanked 502 Times in 284 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynndog View Post
I think it's more windy here than sunny, why can't someone figure out 2 or 3 3ft. high wind turbines for the roof or a house? Not everyone has a southern exposure for solar either. Also the only wind I can find are real high prop ones.
Wynn
Because low to the ground the wind is too turbulent to get any real good power from. You can build small wind turbines that could put out 20 or even 30W, but nothing where you're going to get significant gains.
__________________
[insert witty phrase here]
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #60
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 352
Thanks: 4
Thanked 93 Times in 47 Posts
Default

too bad. we live on Windy Point Rd on Long Island and it gets crazy windy here sometimes (like today). again, as with solar, somewhat unsightly but with both technologies, you're offsetting a fairly inexpensive bill. my electric bill is dwarfed by my propane which as far as I know has no alternative with exception perhaps of geothermal which has its own issues.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #61
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,752
Thanks: 2,280
Thanked 834 Times in 578 Posts
Default State largest Solar Farm

looks likes a good project in the works.
As the articles says much ado about politics!

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS05/141029131
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #62
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default NH Co-op interconnect issue

SO, the solar is moving forward they will be installing on Wednesday but let me tell you about the NH Electric co-op, we filed our interconnect agreement and they told us that they would like to check the transformer that is next to my house.......now mind you THEY want to check it. So I needed to put in an order to have them check it, that order cost me $190.00.So you say why do the order, good question. IF you don't they won't sign the interconnect agreement and then you can't turn on the system. So being held hostage is still a good way to make money.Can't wait to see whats next, the transformers down the street, the main lines, the poles........

Just found out that Sun Ray solar will take that cost off my bill. Thanks
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #63
secondcurve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,014
Thanks: 1,103
Thanked 528 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
SO, the solar is moving forward they will be installing on Wednesday but let me tell you about the NH Electric co-op, we filed our interconnect agreement and they told us that they would like to check the transformer that is next to my house.......now mind you THEY want to check it. So I needed to put in an order to have them check it, that order cost me $190.00.So you say why do the order, good question. IF you don't they won't sign the interconnect agreement and then you can't turn on the system. So being held hostage is still a good way to make money.Can't wait to see whats next, the transformers down the street, the main lines, the poles........

Just found out that Sun Ray solar will take that cost off my bill. Thanks
The NH Electric Co-Op folks are a bunch of thieves. I'd love to know what the top dogs make there but of course that information isn't released to the co-op members who own the co-op.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #64
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default update picture solar install

First day of insatall
Attached Images
 
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Den65 For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-31-2014), Rusty (10-30-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #65
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default panels on

panels on roof
Attached Images
 
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Den65 For This Useful Post:
Rusty (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #66
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 603
Thanked 684 Times in 423 Posts
Default

Nice!! Thanks for posting.
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #67
Tired of Waiting
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 519
Thanks: 111
Thanked 258 Times in 107 Posts
Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Something wrong with Vermont that I don't know?

I don't live there but the state let my "in laws" live there, way up in ski country.


ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #68
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,417
Thanks: 136
Thanked 209 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Den...Out of Curiosity please check back when the system is functional and let us know how it works. Not sure if you said it or not but does the system supply the whole house? And on day after day of clouds how much back up is there before they shutdown if that's the proper lingo?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #69
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,087
Thanks: 188
Thanked 1,351 Times in 540 Posts
Default

Looks great, now what happens when you need to replace your shingles under all those panels?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #70
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Den...Out of Curiosity please check back when the system is functional and let us know how it works. Not sure if you said it or not but does the system supply the whole house? And on day after day of clouds how much back up is there before they shutdown if that's the proper lingo?
It's not an off grid system so on the good days you hopefully turn the meter backwards and on the cloudy days it goes forward. So the hope is you create as much as you use and the Nh co-op is holding it for you. we will see but I have noticed it's been mostly cloudy since they put the panels up. We are still waiting for the NH Co-op............ahhhhhhh
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #71
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default You Don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Looks great, now what happens when you need to replace your shingles under all those panels?
Shouldn't have to once they are coverd up they stop taking the abuse. But the ones on the side are a different story...................I'll let you know
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #72
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default Work completed, but?


The work is all completed on the solar install on Sun Rays end now we are waiting on the NH Electric Coop to do their thing, change a pole, hang a new transformer etc. Trying to get them to call you back is the bigest issue, what's the deal with that all your looking for is a time line so you know what is going on and you have to make 5 phone calls to get one. Not pleased
picture is of final conections at meter, larger systems have to be connected this way instead of in your main panel. a few well placed plants and you'll never see it. Now if we could get some sun
Attached Images
 
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Den65 For This Useful Post:
Rusty (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #73
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 603
Thanked 684 Times in 423 Posts
Default

Nice looking electrical hookup. Thanks for posting.
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #74
wynndog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alton
Posts: 98
Thanks: 170
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default Honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Basically I think he felt it wouldn't be cost effective at all for us. I was very surprised too, that being in the business, he would tell me to not do it.


Hey, I used to be an honest car salesman(course I quit 2 jobs!)
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:17 PM   #75
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default Solar update

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Den...Out of Curiosity please check back when the system is functional and let us know how it works. Not sure if you said it or not but does the system supply the whole house? And on day after day of clouds how much back up is there before they shutdown if that's the proper lingo?
The system was turned on Dec 17th right in the middle of the lowest sun angle but I was still making some power with the front panels best days where about 22 to 25 Kwh. Snow was an issue on the back (low pitch) but the front (12 pitch) was self cleaning. I only had to get the rake out once but once you start the avalanche it comes down real quick. Bad part is it's right in front of the garage doors and if you've cleared the driveway then you now have more to do. Weather was not the best but from the time the sun has been going up higher it has really been working with all panel going best day was 54.9 kwh, they like cold and bright. last months electric bill was$41.00 the year before it was $167.00 part of that is the Co-op $27.82 member charge which will never go away. My avg usage last year same time was 27 kwh per day. But so far so good no issues and everything is working as they said it would. Today even with the clouds it made 28 kwh.
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Den65 For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (03-23-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #76
Leoskeys
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 106
Thanks: 92
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
The system was turned on Dec 17th right in the middle of the lowest sun angle but I was still making some power with the front panels best days where about 22 to 25 Kwh. Snow was an issue on the back (low pitch) but the front (12 pitch) was self cleaning. I only had to get the rake out once but once you start the avalanche it comes down real quick. Bad part is it's right in front of the garage doors and if you've cleared the driveway then you now have more to do. Weather was not the best but from the time the sun has been going up higher it has really been working with all panel going best day was 54.9 kwh, they like cold and bright. last months electric bill was$41.00 the year before it was $167.00 part of that is the Co-op $27.82 member charge which will never go away. My avg usage last year same time was 27 kwh per day. But so far so good no issues and everything is working as they said it would. Today even with the clouds it made 28 kwh.
Any updates on your solar panels would be appreciated!
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #77
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default Solar Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskeys View Post
Any updates on your solar panels would be appreciated!
Be glad to , the system has been working great, about the end of Febuary the system started to pick up, it likes the cold and bright sun shine. Even on an overcast day it makes some power (15kw avg) but on a good day I avg anywhere from 50kw to a high of 68kw. We use about 23kw a day more when the ac is on so what happens is you bank extra killowatts you make. On your bill you see how much extra you have, right now I have 1400 in the bank. My bill with the NH Coop is $28 a month (member fee) below>This is what info you get from the inverters that I have, tons of info on the web site too much to post but it's a great tool to watch your production, the picture is from my smart phone, the app shows all the info the web has.
Attached Images
 
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Den65 For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-28-2016), ITD (06-06-2015), Leoskeys (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #78
Leoskeys
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 106
Thanks: 92
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Awesome, so in summary your electric bill is now zero(if you excluded the member fee). If you keep producing more than you use, how do you get credit for that? For instance, i remember when my mom was a teacher she "banked" dozens of vacation days of the years she never used.
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #79
Den65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
Thanks: 37
Thanked 149 Times in 46 Posts
Default Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskeys View Post
Awesome, so in summary your electric bill is now zero(if you excluded the member fee). If you keep producing more than you use, how do you get credit for that? For instance, i remember when my mom was a teacher she "banked" dozens of vacation days of the years she never used.
Yes it is zero, you want to bank them for the winter when some days you don't produce any because of snow. You will use them but you want to bank as many as you can. You know the old saying "make hay while the sun shines" stock up for the winter
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #80
glennsteely
Senior Member
 
glennsteely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Pitman, N.J.
Posts: 471
Thanks: 90
Thanked 111 Times in 38 Posts
Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
the bottom line solar isn't cost competitive. The only reason the payback is approx. 8-10 years is the government subsidies (and we all know the gov has no qualms about spending our children's money). Solar would be 30+ years without tax incentives. We should be pushing natural gas powered trucks and homes but the enviro-taliban crowd view nat-gas as an enemy since it is carbon based despite the clean burning nature of the fuel.
very well said, and i cant argue with any of it.....we have been thinking about solar too, and we are finding that it is not what people crack it up to be. We do have a solar system for the pool heater that works well, circulation, not cover.
__________________
You have to go out on a limb sometimes, cause that is where the fruit is. You can't get to the fruit from that nice safe spot, clinging to the trunk of the tree......
glennsteely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #81
glennsteely
Senior Member
 
glennsteely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Pitman, N.J.
Posts: 471
Thanks: 90
Thanked 111 Times in 38 Posts
Default New jersey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea.wiltfong View Post
wow there is a lot of information to absorb without a glass of wine :-)

i will say just a year or so ago we were stationed on fort dix, nj and a ton of the base housing had solar panels on them. Not all but a lot of them. Everywhere you go in central to south jersey you see them, farms etc....

So they surely must save money if the military is spending a lot to install on base housing :-) cause gov't doesn't ever waste money lol
you are correct, they are all over new jersey. Even the street lamps have a panel attached to the pole, and a small battery, and thats it, i dont know if they pump the excess back into the grid or not, makes sense to do it that way, i just dont know if they do or not, ill post a picture tomorrow of our street lamps.....
__________________
You have to go out on a limb sometimes, cause that is where the fruit is. You can't get to the fruit from that nice safe spot, clinging to the trunk of the tree......
glennsteely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #82
pjard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Gilford, NH
Posts: 567
Thanks: 346
Thanked 160 Times in 85 Posts
Default Den65 any update

This thread has gone quiet but I am thinking of making the investment with Sun Ray. Den65, any update on the system for us? How much do you get in RECs? That's still the confusing part to me.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #83
CaptT820
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 82
Thanks: 43
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Default Power Consumption

Solar is a great idea, where there is sun. New Hampshire averages 2519 hours of sun a year or about 54% of the time, which isn't bad. Arizona on the other hand averages 3806 hours a year, or about 85% of the time. NH is tied for 8th least sunny hours in the US. A better long term addition for energy savings that has few moving parts and little if not any depreciation is heat pumps. They heat, they cool very efficiently and the maintenance is very minimal. Solar is a good idea in the right geographic location.
CaptT820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #84
pjard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Gilford, NH
Posts: 567
Thanks: 346
Thanked 160 Times in 85 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT820 View Post
Solar is a great idea, where there is sun. New Hampshire averages 2519 hours of sun a year or about 54% of the time, which isn't bad. Arizona on the other hand averages 3806 hours a year, or about 85% of the time. NH is tied for 8th least sunny hours in the US. A better long term addition for energy savings that has few moving parts and little if not any depreciation is heat pumps. They heat, they cool very efficiently and the maintenance is very minimal. Solar is a good idea in the right geographic location.
Already have relatively new heat pumps. My house has lots of roof space heading due south....it's a pretty good home for solar. Still would love to speak/chat/email with someone who has a system.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #85
swnoel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 268
Thanks: 26
Thanked 70 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
Shouldn't have to once they are coverd up they stop taking the abuse. But the ones on the side are a different story...................I'll let you know
Would it not have made sense to replace the shingles prior to the panels being installed? By the way... once the panels are installed, the warranty from the shingle manufacturer is void.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.23636 seconds