Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Computer Repair Shop - Tilton?

Does anyone know the name of the computer repair business in Tilton, located in the small plaza before the Tilton Trailer Outlet and mini-golf business ?

Have tried using Goggle & Bing but nothing is coming up in that area?

Thanks,
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Staples

I believe Staples in Tilton do computer repairs, otherwise Best Buy in Concord is the best place to go.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Lakes Region Computer

Not sure if he is still in business, He has moved from the Center Harbor above LEE WAHS restaurant . His website still open and he has listed the location as Senters Market next to E.M. Heath Supermarket.

Lakes Region Computer

(603) 253-9847

TOM SAWYER

http://www.lakesregioncomputer.com

tsawyer@lakesregioncomputer.com

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
drwamcross

Default Malwarebytes

Big Dog...

I had the same problem and asked an experienced tech at my office. I couldn't get online at all and then I started running into problems even running Microsoft Office. He downloaded a program called Malwarebytes; they offer a free download and he ran that. In fact, my computer was so messed up, he downloaded it to a thumbdrive and then loaded it on my computer since I couldn't access the Internet. It found about 30 malware files and it quarantines them (later deletes them).

He also downloaded a program called CCleaner which will clean out cookies, history and temporary internet files which sped up the processing.

He had worked for a computer repair shop for many years and has been working in IT for a variety of companies. You might try those free programs first; it did the job for me.

By the way, there is malware that attaches to Norton anti-virus, if you have that. Norton actually has a program on line that is needed to delete the anti-virus program, then he ran Malwarebytes and Ccleaner, then re-installed Norton. Norton was initially blocking the loading of the Malwarebytes program.
drwamcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Default First thing first

You were looking for the computer shop. Just serious as to the name or do you have a problem with a computer?

If you have a problem with a computer, I can help as I have been in IT since the first PC's came out!
Jeanzb1 (09-27-2014), TheProfessor (09-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Oletimer

Default Norton anti virus

I would not use that anti virus (Norton) but several million use Avast at Avast.com. It's free and excellent. Better than avg also. At least try it.
Oletimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
Dad sold the C * C

I know the one your talking about; I'll look when I drive in this weekend if no one gets it before then.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:05 AM   #8
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
You were looking for the computer shop. Just serious as to the name or do you have a problem with a computer?

If you have a problem with a computer, I can help as I have been in IT since the first PC's came out!
I don't know BroadHopper - but I suggest his offer. Thank you.

You don't state what the issue is.
If the problem is hardware - that is one issue.
If the problem is software - that in another issue.

What I have done over the years is to reformat the hard drive. And start from scratch. Assuming that you have backed up all of your data - on a disk or thumb drive. And assuming that you have the product key and OS disk/s.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
bigdog

Default Computer repair ?

My issue is, I need a new battery for an old laptop. The removable battery pack has been dead for years, however, I've been running OK on AC power, up until the last 2 weeks.

Now the laptop will not power up, even when connected to AC?
I tried removing battery pack, then reinstalled, but AC will not power on machine?

Laptop is oldddddd ( no comments please)
Toshiba Satellite A15-S127 model
Running Windows XP

Laptop was used to perform Federal taxes in the past, and I need to download those files off this laptop, and upload to other new laptop.

Thoughts?
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #10
diz

Default Same Day Computer in Laconia

There's also a shop in Laconia:

http://www.samedaycomputers.com/
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
There's also a shop in Laconia:

http://www.samedaycomputers.com/
STAY AWAY! They charge $300 to transfer files from a hard drive to another when the machine is inoperable. Just take the hard drive out of the old laptop and transfer the files by using a 'Black Widow'. I picked mine up at Best Buy for $40. After transferring the files, I wipe the old hard drive clean and use it as my backup drive on my new machine!

Deals for laptops weren't too great before school starts this year. Although Dell and HP were clearing Windows 7 machines. The best deals I've seen were during 'Black Monday' last year.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 09-26-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
garysanfran

Default Stay away from Same Day Computer

Robby promised me my computer for days. He ended up coming in on his day off because he promised me my computer the day before and he didn't have it done. I made the trip when it was promised and it wasn't ready. I even called first. I was leaving the next day for California. It took me three trips from Meredith before I got it. The day before I flew home.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
diz

Quote:
STAY AWAY! They charge $300 to transfer files from a hard drive to another when the machine is inoperable. Just take the hard drive out of the old laptop and transfer the files by using a 'Black Widow'. I picked mine up at Best Buy for $40. After transferring the files, I wipe the old hard drive clean and use it as my backup drive on my new machine!

Deals for laptops weren't too great before school starts this year. Although Dell and HP were clearing Windows 7 machines. The best deals I've seen were during 'Black Monday' last year.
BH, that seems steep. Did you actually have this work done or know someone who paid that much? Was the drive in question simply in a PC that wouldn't power up or was it corrupted and unmountable?
Old 09-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
BH, that seems steep. Did you actually have this work done or know someone who paid that much? Was the drive in question simply in a PC that wouldn't power up or was it corrupted and unmountable?
I had a laptop that died. Kaput! I visit Same Day in Laconia and that was his quote a few years ago. I thought it was way too much and politely thank him and left. I feel sorry for those who actually paid that amount!
Old 09-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #15
diz

Quote:
I had a laptop that died. Kaput! I visit Same Day in Laconia and that was his quote a few years ago. I thought it was way too much and politely thank him and left. I feel sorry for those who actually paid that amount!
So what was actually wrong with the laptop? If this was a few years ago and it included a new drive it doesn't seem too bad.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
Winnisquamguy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
If you have been in IT since PC's came out why in the world would you need to bring it to a repair shop?!?!?
Old 09-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #17
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
If you have been in IT since PC's came out why in the world would you need to bring it to a repair shop?!?!?
Good one! At the time I didn't have the 'Black Widow'. It was more convenience for me to stop by than drive to Concord. After the quote it was more economical to drive to Concord than have Same Day do the transfer.
I least I took the time to see the motherboard trashed to know the laptop was unrepairable.

I sold the laptop as parts on EBay. You will be amazed what folks will pay for computer parts.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #18
Jeanzb1

I am totally computer-illiterate, but this thread has got me thinking about my previous laptop that died three years ago. And I'm embarrassed to tell you that I never backed up a single thing -- DUMB. We were living in Florida at the time, so I took it to Best Buy's Geek Squad, paid them $100 to try to resurrect it, and they couldn't get it to even turn on. Then we took it to a local computer store for a second opinion, and got the same answer. They said the only answer would be to send it out to a dust-free place, pay at least $1,500, and then "maybe" they could get it going. So, instead, we put it in the closet and bought a new one, but I'm always HOPING that newer technology can get it going again because I have five years' worth of photos that I would love to get back. Does anyone have any suggestions at this point? THANK YOU!!!!
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #19
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
I am totally computer-illiterate, but this thread has got me thinking about my previous laptop that died three years ago. And I'm embarrassed to tell you that I never backed up a single thing -- DUMB. We were living in Florida at the time, so I took it to Best Buy's Geek Squad, paid them $100 to try to resurrect it, and they couldn't get it to even turn on. Then we took it to a local computer store for a second opinion, and got the same answer. They said the only answer would be to send it out to a dust-free place, pay at least $1,500, and then "maybe" they could get it going. So, instead, we put it in the closet and bought a new one, but I'm always HOPING that newer technology can get it going again because I have five years' worth of photos that I would love to get back. Does anyone have any suggestions at this point? THANK YOU!!!!
Just going by the suggestions you were given, it sounds like the disk crashed and is not functional. Retrieving data from a crashed disk is very expensive and there are no guarantees about what you can get back. Sometimes the returned files are generically named, not what they were originally named so figuring out what you get back can be very time consuming.

I had this happen once and did not have a complete backup. For thousands of dollars I decided to live without the couple weeks of files I lost.

The original problem on this thread did not involve a disk crash, something else caused the failure. In that case it is a matter of taking out the disk and hooking it up to a different system or as suggested to something like the Black Widow.

There are so many backup possibilities (local and network or cloud) and they are so cheap that there is no excuse not to back up. I have a weekly complete system backup to a USB drive and a continuous backup of my data files to another USB drive. Every time I change a data file it is backed up. If I am on the road, backup is paused. As soon as I dock at home, the files are backed up.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #20
TheProfessor

Back up your data.

I guess the point here is to back up all data on a CD disk or Flash/Thumb drive.

I always have two computers with same information on both.
One is old and one is newer.

Things do break.

One of my older computers - the power supply died. Desktop. Got a used power supply off auction site and all works fine now.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #21
lobstadanca

Default Other software

In addition to backing up data on an external disk, I run the following free programs (in the order listed) every couple of weeks:

AVG (I will also look into the one mentioned, Avast)
CC Cleaner
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Glary Utilities
SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

This may seem like overkill, but you would be amazed at what is not picked up as a threat as you run each app.
lobstadanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:42 AM   #22
Irish mist

Get a $200 Chromebook that backs everything up in the cloud & cannot get a virus, updates itself & starts up in under seven seconds. It's a great second computer to have around the house.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #23
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Get a $200 Chromebook that backs everything up in the cloud & cannot get a virus, updates itself & starts up in under seven seconds. It's a great second computer to have around the house.
Sorry to nitpick but it's important. The Google Chromebook website says it "resists viruses". That's true of all computers that have anti virus software.

Nice little systems.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-29-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 02:43 AM   #24
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Sorry to nitpick but it's important. The Google Chromebook website says it "resists viruses". That's true of all computers that have anti virus software.

Nice little systems.
Resists them good too Should say Google does the resisting without you having to deal with it.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #25
KayakinKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
My issue is, I need a new battery for an old laptop. The removable battery pack has been dead for years, however, I've been running OK on AC power, up until the last 2 weeks.

Now the laptop will not power up, even when connected to AC?
I tried removing battery pack, then reinstalled, but AC will not power on machine?

Laptop is oldddddd ( no comments please)
Toshiba Satellite A15-S127 model
Running Windows XP

Laptop was used to perform Federal taxes in the past, and I need to download those files off this laptop, and upload to other new laptop.

Thoughts?
I'm late to this party, but better late than never, right? A new battery would run you about $60-80. Considering that you have a new laptop, and the age and specs of your old Toshiba, I'd go with pulling the hard drive and connecting it to your new laptop, and then transferring the files to your laptop. You would want something like this; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-002-_-Product This is the same one that I've used for a number of years.

I don't know how computer savvy you are or your comfort level with pulling things apart. If you don't have anyone in your circle of family or friends who is comfortable tearing into computers, shoot me a PM. I live in Concord, N.H., but would be willing to travel to help you out. You provide a meal and good conversation, and we'll call it even.

Another thing to try with your old laptop is the following;
1: Disconnect the AC adapter from the laptop
2: Pull the battery out of the old laptop.
3: Hold the power button down continuously for 30 seconds
4: Put the battery back into the laptop
5: Connect the AC adapter to the laptop and plug in
6: Attempt to power on

If it boots up and you have a USB flash drive, connect the flash drive and pull the needed files off.

**EDIT** Almost forgot the most simple of things, your AC adapter may have finally died. Some adapters have a power light on the brick, others don't. Check that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
Depending on why your hard drive stopped working, the data may still be salvageable. On a HDD drive, there is a circuit board on the bottom of the hard drive. For a period of time, the boards were made with non-lead solder, which created issues after a number of power cycles. The solder connections cracked, and the hard drives would no longer power up. If this is what occurred, it may be possible to retrieve your files without having to go the ultra expensive route. I would be willing to take a look at it, and see if it can be brought back from the dead. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited by KayakinKid; 10-05-2014 at 10:03 AM.
KayakinKid is offline   Reply With Quote