Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
Piston

Default Where to get small roof trusses built?

My grandfather lives in Alton Bay, and for the last 5 years or so, we've put up one of those fabric portable garages for him to keep his vehicle out of the snow in the winters. He is 95 yrs old and lives alone in his house up on the mountain, and I don't want him out in the snow cleaning off his car.

The last 2 shelters that we've put up have not survived longer than 2 or 3 years in the heavy snow. We've only spent around $300 on the shelters and got the cheap ones, so this year I figured I'd buy one of the more heavy duty ones that cost close to a thousand dollars and actually a bit more.

Then I thought, instead of buying another portable garage that won't last through a strong storm, I could put up a small pole barn type structure. I thought I could set 6 or 8 pressure treated posts in the ground, then large beams spanning those, and set premade trusses over the top. Then just put the roof on and be done with it. This would be enough to keep his car clean of snow.

Does anyone know where I can buy roof trusses for something like this? I'm planning around 12 or 14' wide, by 24' or so long. He only has one vehicle and that's all he keeps under there.

Or, any better ideas aside from building a full blown garage?
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
RLW

Smile

Most all lumber yards can order any size and shape one wants. Just remember the garage you have now there isn't any real estate tax on it, but as soon as you build the permanent one the taxes are tacked onto it and you also have to get permits where you do not need them for the covered portable garages.
ApS (10-19-2013), BroadHopper (11-22-2013), Piston (10-19-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Piston

RLW,
I would be planning on leaving it as a pole barn style building, with no sides on it. So basically just a roof but open on the sides.

I believe there is no tax on open buildings like that but I don't know for sure. I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that I could have either one or two sides closed in, but not anymore than that.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for the info on the lumberyard. There is one in town so I will call them and ask about trusses.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
RLW,
I would be planning on leaving it as a pole barn style building, with no sides on it. So basically just a roof but open on the sides.

I believe there is no tax on open buildings like that but I don't know for sure. I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that I could have either one or two sides closed in, but not anymore than that.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for the info on the lumberyard. There is one in town so I will call them and ask about trusses.
If you are referring to Alton Lumber I do not think Ruben handles that big stuff, but you can make contact with Middleton Lumber which is just a short ride. there number is 603-473-2053. Regarding permits, I do think a permit will be regarded, but if you are in Alton then just contact John Dever the building inspector at (603) 875-0107 and ask.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Or Winnipesaukee Lumber in Wolfeboro. 569-1381
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Or Winnipesaukee Lumber in Wolfeboro. 569-1381
Very true, but higher prices
Old 10-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
TheProfessor

Check the web site of your town as far as building codes.

In my town no building permit is required for a "temporary" structure. Wood or plastic.

A wood storage shed on blocks is considered a temporary structured in my town and no permit is needed. There are size restrictions.

There are places that will make and deliver a wood storage shed. Some local/independent and some at the big box stores.

If you still want trusses - then LaValleys/Middleton are the ones that manufacture them. Made at LaValley's in Newport, NH.

When I ordered my trusses I made a visit to Lavalley's in Newport. I spoke with the actual engineer that designs them. There are options such as overhang on both the sides and front/back.

But any lumber yard can order them.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Town of Alton Pamphlet.

Take a look at this pamphlet and see if your proposed structure meets the criteria for a temporary Carport.

http://www.alton.nh.gov/forms/No_Permit_Required_Pamphlet.pdf
Old 10-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
Piston

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice!

As mentioned by someone, Alton lumber doesn't deal with trusses. However, they were able to give me the names of some places that did, one was Brock's lumber in Rochester and the other was Middleton lumber.

I called Brocks Lumber yesterday and they told me to call back on Monday as the guy who could help me was out for the weekend, so I'll call them back tomorrow and get a rough price estimate. I will also call Middleton for comparison.

According to the link posted, I will need to obtain a permit to build the permanent carport since I'll be drilling holes in the ground to set the posts. If I decide to go this route, I'll call the building inspector as mentioned. I have spoken with him in the past about projects I had been thinking about and he was extremely helpful for me. I was a bit nervous at first to ask questions because of all the bad "wrap" building inspectors seem to get, but I'm glad I did and I know have a different view of building inspectors in general, and I don't have any hesitation to ask questions anymore.

I'll be interested to see how much the trusses are going to cost, I have absolutely no idea what to expect. For the most part, the cost will determine what I end up doing, whether it's the permanent structure or the portable garage. Next will be the time consideration. I'll know more once I get a quote for the trusses.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
Markem

if the frame is still good... perhaps you could screw the ribbed metal roofing panels on it and call it day
Markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markem View Post
if the frame is still good... perhaps you could screw the ribbed metal roofing panels on it and call it day
That's a good idea but unfortunately it's the frame that has been destroyed on both accounts.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
RLW

Smile

Markem, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

It is great to see you on the forum and posted your comments. Come on and see us a bit more often as we enjoy your comments.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
granitebox

If you are flexible in size and construction.....don't be afraid to call and ask about stock or 'leftover' trusses and see if you can incorporate them into you shelter.

Many times folks place an order for trusses (with a down payment) and then cancel, change their mind or simply don't pick them up. I've even seen trusses for sale on Craigs list.

Ordering custom trusses will be more expensive and if you can design your shelter around a set of available trusses you'll come out way ahead.
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
Piston

Thanks Granite,
I'm waiting for a couple different quotes right now, and when they get back to me I'll ask about any leftover trusses they may have. I never would have thought about that.

They both said (Brock's and Middleton) that it would be 1-2 weeks before they can get me a quote, so we'll see.

As a side note to anyone looking for pressure treated posts, I called Middleton and they were $36 dollars for a 6"-6"-12' pressure treated. Then I called Alton lumber and it was $56 for the same size! I guess it pays to shop around and thanks to you guys for recommending the lumber yards.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
RLW

Smile

As far as prices being high at Alton Lumber he is only a very small yard with a small limited inventory because space and therefore can not get the discount that on the materials like the big places, but when one is local and in the need of 2 or 3 pieces it is a lot easier to run to Ruben's and pay his price. I know as I have done it many times for my own projects and very thankful that he is in town.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
As far as prices being high at Alton Lumber he is only a very small yard with a small limited inventory because space and therefore can not get the discount that on the materials like the big places, but when one is local and in the need of 2 or 3 pieces it is a lot easier to run to Ruben's and pay his price. I know as I have done it many times for my own projects and very thankful that he is in town.
Actually, I didn't think it was that his prices were high, I thought it was that Middletons were low. I've purchased a lot through them just because they're local and convenient, and I never really got the feeling they were expensive. I tore down and put an entirely new roof on my grandfathers barn and bought all my materials there. In fact, if they had roof trusses I wouldn't have even shopped around. However, I'm glad they didn't.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #17
eric richard

Default roof trusses

Hi piston

My name is Eric a building contractor that does work in and around the lake region. I am building a 20' x 30' pavilion and I am doing the same style building I am getting my roof trusses from Barton lumber in Barnstead.I am also using 6" x 6" pressure treated beams for my poles and 2 x 10 x 15' IVL beams to set my trusses on.

If you have any question or feel that is too much of a job for you to take on feel free to contact me at (603)923-3801.

Thank you
Eric Richard
Owner
Eric's &Phil's Home Improvement LLC
(603)509-3880 office
(603)923-3801 cell
eric richard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eric richard For This Useful Post:
Piston (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #18
Piston

Thanks Eric,
I may give you a call depending on how much time I think it is going to take me. I'll certainly keep you in mind as I'll probably need some work done for future projects as well.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
Piston

I got a couple of quotes from the lumber yards on roof trusses, as well as everything else I would need for a 14'X24' "polebarn" style carport. I called my grandfather to tell him I'd be coming up in a couple of weeks to help him out a bit. I was hoping to keep it a surprise by not telling him exactly what I was doing.

Well, he asked me, "while your here, can you help me put up my canvas garage that I bought last spring?"

Well, since he already bought the Shelterlogic, I ended up giving up on my idea (for now anyways) of building the carport, and instead just built a proper "foundation" base for the fabric carport.

I ground up a couple stumps for him, installed some drainage pipe and crushed stone (it was a wet area last winter), dug some holes for Sonotubes (4 per side), spread 12 yards of gravel, put a pressure treated sill down both sides, and assembled and raised the portable garage. He is happy with it so that is all that matters, but I told him if it doesn't last his winter, I'm putting up something a little more "appropriate" for the NH winters.

Here are a few pics of the process....
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Piston For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (11-23-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Rhino Shelter

There is a business on Rte 3 in Winnisquam near the bridge that claims his shelters are tough as nails. Yet they are built pretty much like the canvas cover shown. Perhaps you can take his word for it and have the manufacturer replace the structure when ever a storm blows through.

I built a structure with no sides and it is considered a carport. Insurance, taxes have gone up even though the town of Gilford consider the structure as temporary. (It was built on blocks). The structure was built about 20 years ago for the boat. When I call for permission, they basically said the structure should be at least 20 feet from the property line.

I'm sure things have changed since then. Just give the town a call.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
Steveo

Default just curious

Why did you feel the need to go so strong on the base. Can't the frame just sit on the ground maybe spiked in (heavy) so it does get blown. I mean it looks very well done but 8 concrete piers and 12 yds of gravel seems a bit much
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Why did you feel the need to go so strong on the base. Can't the frame just sit on the ground maybe spiked in (heavy) so it does get blown. I mean it looks very well done but 8 concrete piers and 12 yds of gravel seems a bit much
I admit, it does seem like overkill and certainly is for this shelter...But...
I put the concrete piers and pressure treated sills in with the idea that if this shelter doesn't make it through the winter if a bad storm hits (ice storm/blizzard etc) then I could remove the bent up frame and build a more suitable carport over the current foundation. It would be nearly impossible for me to dig holes for Sonotubes in the winter time with the ground frozen, so this was sort of a "just in case" thing.

Regarding the stone, I needed to bring the grade up about 6" because he would get standing water there in mild weather and then it would freeze into ice when it gets cold. I needed 7 to 8 yards to do this. The truck that delivered the stone held 12 yards, and delivery cost the same weather it was partially full or completely full. I figured i may as well get the 12 yards as I knew I could use the extra around other buildings like his shed or barn. Well after spreading the stone I realized I may as well just use it all and it worked out well.

The base is overkill I know, and if it were me up there cleaning my car off in the winter I wouldn't even worry about a garage or carport, but since it's my grandfather, I want to make sure it lasts, and the most common problem with these failing is insufficient bases.

If a couple days of my labor and several hundred dollars or more in materials saves my 95 year old grandfather from slipping on the ice and breaking his hip, or have a heart attack from shoveling off his car (that angina isn't good for you) then it's well worth it to me....even if it is "a bit much"
Old 11-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

I built a structure with no sides and it is considered a carport. Insurance, taxes have gone up even though the town of Gilford consider the structure as temporary. (It was built on blocks). The structure was built about 20 years ago for the boat. When I call for permission, they basically said the structure should be at least 20 feet from the property line.

I'm sure things have changed since then. Just give the town a call.
I actually did check with the town building inspector regarding whether I'd need a permit or not, which I would have for the carport, and also checked with the assessor regarding how it would affect his taxes, and he told me worst case scenario would be that it would raise his taxes about $40 per year, and that was on the high end.

I still would have rather built the permanent structure but he wanted to try this first and I respected his decision. I did tell him though, that if it fails (this is his 3rd one in 5 years or so) I'm putting up the mother of all car ports for him
Old 11-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #24
Kamper

It looks like you've pretty much got the same thing I got. If you aren't going to put up the pole-barn this year I have some suggestions for another Shelter-Logic type garage.

Leave the fabric a little loose. If you pull those bottom horizontal things up a little the cover wil have room to move a bit and won't strain and wear againgst the angle and top pieces as much.

If you have any surving pieces from your previous structures, incoporate them into the new one. You can trim the front to back parts so your over-all length is the same. This spreads the load a bit and may extend the life of your top.

The cover can be removed in the spring and stored if you only want to use it in the winter. That's a bit of work but it sounds like you've got it down pat so I'm sure you would not be intimidated by it!

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
Piston (11-23-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
It looks like you've pretty much got the same thing I got. If you aren't going to put up the pole-barn this year I have some suggestions for another Shelter-Logic type garage.

Leave the fabric a little loose. If you pull those bottom horizontal things up a little the cover wil have room to move a bit and won't strain and wear againgst the angle and top pieces as much.

If you have any surving pieces from your previous structures, incoporate them into the new one. You can trim the front to back parts so your over-all length is the same. This spreads the load a bit and may extend the life of your top.

The cover can be removed in the spring and stored if you only want to use it in the winter. That's a bit of work but it sounds like you've got it down pat so I'm sure you would not be intimidated by it!

Good luck!
Be careful about leaving it loose. I did that on one in Nashua and it wore itself out
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #26
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
I admit, it does seem like overkill and certainly is for this shelter...But...

If a couple days of my labor and several hundred dollars or more in materials saves my 95 year old grandfather from slipping on the ice and breaking his hip, or have a heart attack from shoveling off his car (that angina isn't good for you) then it's well worth it to me....even if it is "a bit much"
What a good Grandson. I am saving this article for my grandson to study, that is when he can read, he's only 2 now
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #27
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
What a good Grandson. I am saving this article for my grandson to study, that is when he can read, he's only 2 now
He's a little older than my son!