Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #1
Juiced06GTO

Default Considering renting on Welch this summer

A friend just sent me this link (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4363375...K35L5&guests=1) to a place on Welch that actually has availability this summer.

It would probably be 3 families with small kids (18mos-7yrs). How is the ride over from the town docks? I'd be bringing the boat to transport everyone and everything over. This would be our first island stay if we decide to do it, any tips from the vetrans here? I have been trying to talk the wife into looking at island properties, so this could be a great introduction to it, although this place looks a lot nicer than anything I'd ever have haha!

Thanks for any info guys, only a few more months til spring!
Anthony
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

While a very nice property on north Welch, it does not represent normal island living. But I guess that you know that.

The boat trip over is all weather and boat dependent. On a calm or light breeze non weekend day it is a nice ride over and back. Add busy weekend traffic and the ride is OK but not as pleasant. Add a strong NW wind and/or rain and the ride will be unpleasant.

Except for a few 3 hour spots, boat docking at Glendale requires an inland resident sticker. I assume that the renter will supply guest auto parking cards and maybe a guest boat launch card. Auto parking gets tight on summer weekends.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Juiced06GTO (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Private Island?

This could be a great vacation spot. To me, the title "private island" is a little misleading--yes, it is private in that there are no public or commercial access/facilities. But there are almost 60 camps on the island, all on the shorefront. Behind them is the power line right of way, which is heavily used as a walking trail. Cross paths are the Bear's trail and Helen's Way. The interior of the island is owned by a small number of people and is mostly wooded and open for exploring. Most years, there are deer on the island, occasional, but rare, years, there are bear or moose.
Prevailing winds are from the NW, so this location is protected by the Forty Islands. Going to/from Glendale, you will be crossing the winds for a short distance. If you drive around the island, there is a NWZ in the cove on the north side. On the south side, there is a black marker (FL76) that is waaay out from land. You'll look and look and think it is missing. Nope. It's there, just way out. Being centrally located, it should be easy to go to a different place for ice cream every day. Good luck
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Juiced06GTO (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #4
winterh

I can't speak to island living or that house but looking at the link got me to thinking of how many really cool places there are on the lake. Big mansion type places get noticed but so many really smaller or hidden gems that are just perfect places to hang and relax. Thats what I love about my place and this one looks like one of those as well.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winterh For This Useful Post:
DotRat (01-19-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
Juiced06GTO

Thanks for the replies everyone. Waiting on the owner to get back to me with some more specifics regarding mainland parking and boat launching. It would be nice to launch out of Glendale, but I can utilize a public ramp if needed and figure out the rest. I am used to either staying up in Moultonboro or launching for the day out of Alton so being central on the lake would def shorten up some of our destination cruises and make it easier to get places with the kiddos.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #6
codeman671

He provides Glendale park and launch passes so you can leave cars there. I haven’t stayed there but have looked at it in the past. I’ve heard he is a great guy and a gracious host. Maybe if covid slows down you can catch a ride in his Riva. It’s a beauty.

The ride across isn’t bad typically but it can get gnarly on occasion. What do you have for a boat?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
Doobs41378

That place looks really cool. I hope it works out for you guys.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #8
Juiced06GTO

Thanks codeman. We have a 24' Four Winns Funship. I'm not too worried about the conditions, more so the amount of time to get there as I am going to have to shuttle supplies and people over in a few trips and with a bunch of young kids that can always be interesting haha!
Old 01-10-2021, 03:42 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Great Place

That’s a great place on Welch! It is owned by Irwin Muskat, a real nice guy and as Codeman said a gracious host.

More than likely you will be supplied with a park and launch pass which will allow you to launch your boat and park your car at Glendale. The only thing you won’t be able to do is park your boat trailer there. You will need to make other arrangements for that.

Don’t worry about the ride over from Glendale. I have been doing it for 12 years without an issue. It’s just a couple minute ride.

Enjoy!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 01-10-2021 at 05:00 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #10
Descant

Default Travel and trailer

Obviously travel time depends on how fast you go and how crowded it is at Glendale. More crowded Sat am and Sunday pm, especially if you're trying to launch there. I'd figure 15 minutes, but my boat isn't very fast.
I think there is trailer parking near the Gilford Town Beach. I'm sure Irwin has this all worked out. That's a fine boat.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:14 PM   #11
steve-on-mark

Name:  riva.jpg
Views: 2333
Size:  157.7 KB

He is a very nice guy... chat every now and then if I see him at the docks. I just wish he wasn't so jealous of my old pontoon boat... makes it uncomfortable! :-)
steve-on-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve-on-mark For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 04:47 PM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
Attachment 16685

He is a very nice guy... chat every now and then if I see him at the docks. I just wish he wasn't so jealous of my old pontoon boat... makes it uncomfortable! :-)
I saw that guy while I was out cruising on Jettie One this past summer. Interestingly enough, I assumed he'd be a doofus given the hot-rod-fire-engine-red-ferrari-version-of-a-boat he was driving, but we had a super friendly interaction. He looked like he was really enjoying that machine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:09 PM   #13
Juiced06GTO

Wow, maybe I should leave the funship at home, it doesn't hold a candle to that thing and is going to ugly up his dock!! I guess I could still swap in the race car motor from the GTO like I thought about doing last summer when the valve seized up on the boat motor...maybe give him a good run up to that 45mph speed limit at least!
Old 01-11-2021, 05:57 PM   #14
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
Wow, maybe I should leave the funship at home, it doesn't hold a candle to that thing and is going to ugly up his dock!! I guess I could still swap in the race car motor from the GTO like I thought about doing last summer when the valve seized up on the boat motor...maybe give him a good run up to that 45mph speed limit at least!
Not to worry, most of the time there is an Eastern at his dock, just like me and many other islanders.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:54 AM   #15
Juiced06GTO

Slick, your comment sent me down the rabbit hole of Eastern's website, down east boat forums, and all the beauty that comes with them haha. Their 248 Islander is nice
Old 01-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #16
codeman671

Quote:
Slick, your comment sent me down the rabbit hole of Eastern's website, down east boat forums, and all the beauty that comes with them haha. Their 248 Islander is nice
Yes they are! Ours kept us on the water until 12/22 this year.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #17
welch100

Default Trail on Welch Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
There are almost 60 camps on the island, all on the shorefront. Behind them is the power line right of way, which is heavily used as a walking trail.
I've lived on Welch for 40 years, and I walk the power line almost every day. I rarely encounter anybody, so the characterization of the trail as "heavily used" might give the wrong impression. Also, the property you are considering is quite removed from the power line, so you wouldn't generally see or hear anybody.

We raised three kids on the island, and it was one of the best things we ever did! It's absolutely magical for children, especially once they can swim well and have the run of the place. Now our grandchildren are loving it too. We wouldn't trade it for anything!

I can guarantee your vacation will be memorable.
welch100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:38 PM   #18
Juiced06GTO

As much as I wanted to rent here this summer there were a few in our group with much younger kids, under 2, who had some reservations about being on an island so we ended up renting in Alton on the mainland instead in Glidden cove. On a positive note my wife was all in so maybe that island property will be in the cards one day when they aren't selling for half a million+...
Old 01-28-2021, 06:41 PM   #19
steve-on-mark

Quote:
As much as I wanted to rent here this summer there were a few in our group with much younger kids, under 2, who had some reservations about being on an island so we ended up renting in Alton on the mainland instead in Glidden cove. On a positive note my wife was all in so maybe that island property will be in the cards one day when they aren't selling for half a million+...
My grandson did just fine growing up on an island...it's a whole different vibe and experience...you should try it sometime!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 01-29-2021, 03:31 PM   #20
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Some 25 years ago, or so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
I can't speak to island living or that house but looking at the link got me to thinking of how many really cool places there are on the lake. Big mansion type places get noticed but so many really smaller or hidden gems that are just perfect places to hang and relax. Thats what I love about my place and this one looks like one of those as well.
I went to look at a used boat (22' Four Winns cuddy).
It was tied-up in an old boathouse on the western side of Sewall Point Road (Jockey Cove). A few steps up from the lake was this small, beautifully kept cottage- the inside was still old-timey feeling and comfortably appointed.

I didn't know this would happen until I got there, but the person I spoke to was Estelle Parsons.

As far as i know, she is still with us- does she still own this camp?- don't know.

Just saying- her little place was exactly what most of us (used to) think of as a "camp"!

It was eye-candy for the appreciative! Even back then.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #21
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welch100 View Post
I've lived on Welch for 40 years, and I walk the power line almost every day. I rarely encounter anybody, so the characterization of the trail as "heavily used" might give the wrong impression. Also, the property you are considering is quite removed from the power line, so you wouldn't generally see or hear anybody.

We raised three kids on the island, and it was one of the best things we ever did! It's absolutely magical for children, especially once they can swim well and have the run of the place. Now our grandchildren are loving it too. We wouldn't trade it for anything!

I can guarantee your vacation will be memorable.
Do you know who "HOOT" was?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:16 PM   #22
Juiced06GTO

I am dying to get out on an island with my boys, I think they'd love it. Unfortunately, we had too big of a crew trying to make everyone happy so it didn't work out this time. The wife really only wants electricity and a working bathroom, so we have options if it is just us. Thanks for all the input from everyone. We'll be up the 7th-14th of August so see everyone out on the lake!
Old 01-31-2021, 12:36 PM   #23
Descant

Default Come see us

Happy to have you come visit and take a walk around the island.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #24
Juiced06GTO

That would be great thanks! I'll reach out when we get a little closer to our trip. We'll probably be up and out on the lake before that at some point too, just counting the days til ice out, which can't get here fast enough after the 20" of snow we got here last night!!
Old 02-02-2021, 04:54 PM   #25
Descant

Default we need the snow

Quote:
That would be great thanks! I'll reach out when we get a little closer to our trip. We'll probably be up and out on the lake before that at some point too, just counting the days til ice out, which can't get here fast enough after the 20" of snow we got here last night!!
I don't ski so much anymore, but I'm happy for the folks who do winter sports where there is no snow making. We need to bring up the lake level and rain alone isn't always enough. See you in the spring.