Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
kawishiwi

Default Looking like a busy summer

I followed the slip rental market closely for 2 years before buying one last year. In looking at the classifieds on this site this year there has been an explosion of postings seeking a slip to rent. Seeking slip ads outnumber slip for rent ads for the first time since I started watching. It seems like we may have achieved slip saturation this year. Anybody else have anecdotal evidence for or against? Is this a pattern seen before by all you "old timers"?
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:24 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Visited Winnisquam Marine's open house and spoke to Julie for a bit (nice young lady, great place)--she said sales and rentals are definitely up as a result of the improve economy. Last summer was busier than the previous two for sure.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:54 AM   #3
JADAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
I followed the slip rental market closely for 2 years before buying one last year. In looking at the classifieds on this site this year there has been an explosion of postings seeking a slip to rent. Seeking slip ads outnumber slip for rent ads for the first time since I started watching. It seems like we may have achieved slip saturation this year. Anybody else have anecdotal evidence for or against? Is this a pattern seen before by all you "old timers"?
You are correct! Slips "wanted" are at an all time high.
With that being said, so aren't the fee's associated with them, people want top dollar and they are getting it. Seems everyone wants to be on Winni!!
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:10 AM   #4
vmass

Looks like I am part of the problem!

I have vacationed on the lake many times over the years. This year our family pulled the trigger on a modest townhome (think I got a smoking deal) and we are now searching for a boat and a place to keep it!

I would prefer to go the valet route, considering the boat will be used primarily on weekends.
vmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:35 AM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmass View Post
we are now searching for a boat and a place to keep it!
You might want to do that search in reverse! Finding a boat you like will be easy, finding a place to keep it will be harder.

The number of slips on the lake is a pretty fixed number. The availability of valet has expanded over the years but even that number is reaching a point where the facilities are running out of room and the capacity to service more boats is limited.

I have rental slips on the lake and I could have rented every one of them 3 or 4 times, and the calls keep coming in.

With the total saturation of available places to keep boats this is shaping up to be a very busy, heavy traffic, summer on the water.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

If you are looking to valet, keep in mind that most marinas that offer Valet service also have a limit on the length of the boat, usual low 20's to 25 ft length.
Also, if you are going to be using the boat a lot on the weekend, and think you may want to be able to jump in the boat for a night time cruise, do you have some place to dock until you are ready to put the boat to bed for the night.
You may find in a short period of time that being able to access your boat quickly, anytime day or night, means you may be better off with a slip rather than valet.
Health warning: Boating is contagious! 😉😀👍

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-31-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
vmass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
You might want to do that search in reverse! Finding a boat you like will be easy, finding a place to keep it will be harder.

The number of slips on the lake is a pretty fixed number. The availability of valet has expanded over the years but even that number is reaching a point where the facilities are running out of room and the capacity to service more boats is limited.

I have rental slips on the lake and I could have rented every one of them 3 or 4 times, and the calls keep coming in.

With the total saturation of available places to keep boats this is shaping up to be a very busy, heavy traffic, summer on the water.
Thanks, I understand.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:53 AM   #8
vmass

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
If you are looking to valet, keep in mind that most marinas that offer Valet service also have a limit on the length of the boat, usual low 20's to 25 ft length.
Also, if you are going to be using the boat a lot on the weekend, and think you may want to be able to jump in the boat for a night time cruise, do you have some place to dock until you are ready to put the boat to bed for the night.
You may find in a short period of time that being able to access your boat quickly, anytime day or night, means you may be better off with a slip rather than valet.
Health warning: Boating is contagious! ������

There is certainly a lot to consider and I am ok if the first year is trial and error based, as I have plenty of other tasks to do.

I am interested in a 25-26' bow rider and have my eye on one which I hope will cover all needs.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmass View Post
Looks like I am part of the problem!

I have vacationed on the lake many times over the years. This year our family pulled the trigger on a modest townhome (think I got a smoking deal) and we are now searching for a boat and a place to keep it!

I would prefer to go the valet route, considering the boat will be used primarily on weekends.
Where did you get your town home? People may be able to give you better ideas and leads knowing where you're at.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts

I've been at MVYC for quite awhile. Around 2009-10, people stopped putting their boat in the water. Some boats and slips went to foreclosure and auction. In 2007-08, there had been a wait list for slip rentals, then there were lots of vacancies. Now, I think we're close to wait list again.
In slips or valet, many tenants renew a year in advance, so the advice to lock it up now is sound. If you later buy a too big boat or otherwise find a better deal, you can probably sublease or maybe just lose a couple hundred $$ deposit. Better to do that than to buy a boat and have no place to put it.
"Well, I'll just trailer it for awhile". Have you been reading the threads about back ups and full parking lots at many ramps?

Yes, "Where is the town home?" is a good question. Can you install a mooring?
Last thought: If you find a slip or valet, see if you can get a two or three year commitment, and lock in the price. It will likely go up for the next couple of years as people are still buying new boats and need places to keep them.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:24 PM   #11
Rich

The rent in some prime slips in our area went from $3500 a year to $5000 a year in the course of 2 years.

I'm told it's "supply and demand", so if you have a need for a slip, you better secure it, and be prepared to pay higher prices, or you may found yourself grounded.

A few years ago, there were plenty of open slips available. and when I offered to sign a long term lease or other agreement, I was told "no thanks", the market goes up and down and the owners are happy to ride the wave.

If you don't think it's fair to pay such prices, don't worry, I'm sure someone else will.

I ended up buying a slip, and now that I've secured a nice slip and I no longer have to worry about an owner renting to someone else, leaving me high and dry.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:30 PM   #12
vmass

The townhouse association is on Paugus Bay. As I stated, I do have a line on a boat that I hope to be able to see in a week or so.

I am a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on a valet contract prior to a boat decision considering I may find a boat at a dealer with a valet option.

I certainly appreciate any leads. With that said, I am not worried.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #13
vmass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The rent in some prime slips in our area went from $3500 a year to $5000 a year in the course of 2 years.

I'm told it's "supply and demand", so if you have a need for a slip, you better secure it, and be prepared to pay higher prices, or you may found yourself grounded.

A few years ago, there were plenty of open slips available. and when I offered to sign a long term lease or other agreement, I was told "no thanks", the market goes up and down and the owners are happy to ride the wave.

If you don't think it's fair to pay such prices, don't worry, I'm sure someone else will.

I ended up buying a slip, and now that I've secured a nice slip and I no longer have to worry about an owner renting to someone else, leaving me high and dry.
At $5,000.00 a season, buying makes sense and I would do as you did. I am not ready for that commitment. Just an opinion....I expect this to be a great year, next year I think a big dip will happen.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:20 PM   #14
sum-r breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I've been at MVYC for quite awhile. Around 2009-10, people stopped putting their boat in the water. Some boats and slips went to foreclosure and auction. In 2007-08, there had been a wait list for slip rentals, then there were lots of vacancies. Now, I think we're close to wait list again.
In slips or valet, many tenants renew a year in advance, so the advice to lock it up now is sound. If you later buy a too big boat or otherwise find a better deal, you can probably sublease or maybe just lose a couple hundred $$ deposit. Better to do that than to buy a boat and have no place to put it.
"Well, I'll just trailer it for awhile". Have you been reading the threads about back ups and full parking lots at many ramps?

Yes, "Where is the town home?" is a good question. Can you install a mooring?
Last thought: If you find a slip or valet, see if you can get a two or three year commitment, and lock in the price. It will likely go up for the next couple of years as people are still buying new boats and need places to keep them.
We have been at MVYC for 16 plus years and have seen it go up and down more than once. This go round went from Renters "Lucky to get a slip" to Owners "Lucky to get a rental" with the renters getting a discount, then back to Renters "lucky to get a slip" and paying an increase. So the economy is DEFINATELY recovering. I would like to see MVYC, with the increase in price, run the yacht club picnic again. It was a blast every year they ran it and we really miss it. I'm ready for an awesome Summer with LOTS of participation in the boating community!!

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back

Last edited by sum-r breeze; 04-02-2017 at 10:49 AM.
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:50 PM   #15
Water Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
We have been at MVYC for 16 plus years and have seen it go up and down more than once. This go round went from Renters "Lucky to get a slip" to Owners "Lucky to get a rental" with the renters getting a discounts, then back to Renters "lucky to get a slip" and paying an increase. So the economy is DEFINATELY recovering. I would like to see MVYC, with the increase in price, run the yacht club picnic again. It was a blast every year they ran it and we really miss it. I'm ready for an awesome Summer with LOTS of participation in the boating community!!

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
Walter,
If this happens let me know if they are looking for a band.
Bill
BendtheRide.com
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Water Camper For This Useful Post:
sum-r breeze (04-02-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Slips available.

Since 2007, the marina stop sending the spring letter asking if you want to give up your slip, there is a waiting list. Last Spring and this spring is the return of that letter.

The slips were built before pontoon boats were popular. Seems like the pontoon boats are wider and are a tight fit.

Many of the slips in the past decade which held boats are now holding 4 PWCs.

There will definitely be a big demand!
Old 04-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #17
Orion

Default Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Since 2007, the marina stop sending the spring letter asking if you want to give up your slip, there is a waiting list. Last Spring and this spring is the return of that letter.

The slips were built before pontoon boats were popular. Seems like the pontoon boats are wider and are a tight fit.

Many of the slips in the past decade which held boats are now holding 4 PWCs.

There will definitely be a big demand!
Pontoons are pretty standard at 8' or 8'-6" widths (beam) whereas most newer boats over 20' have at least an 8' beam. It's just that pontoons are 8' or 8.5' the whole length and seem wider. The only real issue with pontoons seems to be some valet services are not quite setup right to accommodate non-V hulls, but that needs to change since they are the fastest growing segment for lake boats.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #18
Dave R

If you want to be part of the solution to the busy summer on Winni, Canada is giving away free lock passes all year to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of Parks Canada. I just ordered mine here: http://www.commandesparcs-parksorder...atalogId=53407

We are planning a 2ish week, 450ish mile, loop cruise from 1000 Islands to Ottowa (via Rideau Canal), to Montreal (via Ottowa River), to 1000 Islands (via St Lawrence River) this Summer. 1000 Islands is only 7 easy driving hours from Gilford.

Canada and NY are quite boater-friendly and offer countless options for public overnight dockage, moorage, and legal overnight anchoring.

The lock passes are normally very expensive and I expect to pay for gas for my entire cruise with the savings.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #19
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Great Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
If you want to be part of the solution to the busy summer on Winni, Canada is giving away free lock passes all year to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of Parks Canada. I just ordered mine here: http://www.commandesparcs-parksorder...atalogId=53407

We are planning a 2ish week, 450ish mile, loop cruise from 1000 Islands to Ottowa (via Rideau Canal), to Montreal (via Ottowa River), to 1000 Islands (via St Lawrence River) this Summer. 1000 Islands is only 7 easy driving hours from Gilford.

Canada and NY are quite boater-friendly and offer countless options for public overnight dockage, moorage, and legal overnight anchoring.

The lock passes are normally very expensive and I expect to pay for gas for my entire cruise with the savings.
That sounds like an awesome trip! I hope you take some pics and videos!!

Dan
Old 04-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #20
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post

"Boater friendly" ..... what a novel idea. We should send a delegation from the State of NH up there to observe it first hand.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
sum-r breeze (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #21
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
"Boater friendly" ..... what a novel idea. We should send a delegation from the State of NH up there to observe it first hand.
I know... I was astounded by the 1000 Islands area when I went there for the first time two years ago. They LOVE boaters and boats there. Town docks encourage overnight docking and have really nice bathrooms and showers. Canada and US border agents go out of their way to encourage foreigners to visit by boat (they are very friendly and make it ridiculously easy). Also, there's no safe passage law between power boats so power boating is much less stressful. It has a similar look to Winnipesaukee, it's just 7 times bigger, has 1800 islands, uses normal ATONs and has the occasional ship passing through. I really wish the towns around Winnipesaukee and the state would start evolving toward this model.

One other thing, they have realistic speed limits in areas where they make sense, and none where they don't. How crazy is that?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Hezman (04-05-2017), Pineedles (04-05-2017), sum-r breeze (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #22
noreast

I've heard the same. I need to get up there.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote