Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Ethanol issue lives on-not good

I rec'd this today from BoatUS.

I have pasted in the text because I cannot transfer the message as it appeared in my Inbox directly here.

It astonishes me that anyone in gov't can approve of going to 15% Ethanol for many many reasons, not the least of which according to BoatUS, is it's illegal to run 15% in any Marine Engine..

And the Mensa-candidates supporting 15% see no issue whatsoever?

Please follow the link and make your voice heard.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 28th, 2016

Dear BoatU.S. Member:

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is asking for comments on a proposal to increase the amount of ethanol that must be blended into the nation's gasoline supply for 2017. If adopted, these proposed levels will require the use of a record amount of ethanol, forcing higher-level fuel blends (including E15 or 15% ethanol) into gas pumps and at more gas stations. It's important to know that most marine engines are built to only work with up to 10% ethanol, and it is illegal to use gas containing more than 10% ethanol in any marine engine.

Please take a few moments to send a message NOW urging the EPA to lower the ethanol mandates to ensure an adequate supply of fuel that will work in your boat.

Click here to take action.

http://www.capwiz.com/boatus/issues/...ertid=72776626

Background:

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) is the 2005 law that requires the blending of biofuels such as corn-ethanol into our gasoline. When written, it was assumed that America's use of gasoline would continue to rise. However, U.S. gasoline usage has actually dropped steadily since 2005 and now the law forces more ethanol into fewer gallons of gasoline.

To keep up with this mandate, in 2010 the EPA permitted E15 (fuel containing up to 15% ethanol) into the marketplace, for some engines. E15 has been proven to damage boat engines and so it is prohibited in marine engines. It is also illegal to use E15 in snowmobiles, motorcycles, small engines like lawnmowers and leaf blowers, as well as any car or light-truck made before 2001.

E15 and higher ethanol blends fuel can now be found in 23 states, often at the very same pumps as E10 gasoline. A sticker on the pump mixed in with all the other labels may be the only warning for E15 gasoline. This creates a huge potential for mis-fueling and puts boaters at risk of using fuel that will damage their engines. CLICK HERE:

http://www.boatus.com/gov/RFS.asp

for more information on E15 and the Renewable Fuel Standard.

Thanks for being a BoatU.S. member and for taking action to let EPA hear how more ethanol will affect your boat engine. The deadline for your comment is July 11th, 2016. Help spread the word and please FORWARD TO A FRIEND.

Sincerely,

Margaret B. Podlich
President, BoatU.S.
(703) 461-2878 x8363
www.BoatUS.com/gov
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
Descant (06-28-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
Rich

Everyone should reply to this, even if you are not a BoatUS member!

E15 will affect all of us.

I have spent a lot of money repairing various engines because of E10 issues, so I'm not very happy about this E15 at all!

Please, don't hesitate, contact everyone you can and try to stop this.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Everyone should reply to this, even if you are not a BoatUS member!

E15 will affect all of us.

I have spent a lot of money repairing various engines because of E10 issues, so I'm not very happy about this E15 at all!

Please, don't hesitate, contact everyone you can and try to stop this.
not to mention just the reduction in mileage per gallon.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
Woody38

Aviation fuel works great in my engine. No ethanol problem. Also a noted side effect is that there appears to be a lack of exhaust odor. 100 octane.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody38 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Back in the days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
Aviation fuel works great in my engine. No ethanol problem. Also a noted side effect is that there appears to be a lack of exhaust odor. 100 octane.
We use to trailer the boat to the airport and fill the tank. Or fill 5-55 gals drums and return home. Now the airport will not allow transfers. Where do you get your fuel?
Old 07-01-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
That is all I use for all of my yard equipment. Have been for years.
Any hardware/small engine place will sell the premix for small engines (no ethanol).

Not sure why more marinas don't have non-ethanol gasoline.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:08 AM   #7
swnoel

Lobbyists run the country now... seems like common sense have evaded from Washington to home town USA! Maybe it's time to require all stations to offer at least one pump with pure gas!

Maybe this site can help...

http://pure-gas.org/
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Corn should be eaten not used for fuel!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-02-2016), ishoot308 (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #9
Woody38

Smile

Last year I filled gas cans at the Laconia airport. Boat just went in so we have not fueled at this time. If I can't use Laconia I am not about to transport gas for many miles. Depending where you are coming from there are stations that have pure gas. Look up Ethanol free gas online. VP Racing does have pure gas. I wonder about Louden Race Track.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
Just Sold

Haffner's sells racing fuel at a few of their stations. I know the one on 125 in Haverhill/Plaistow sells it.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #11
NoBozo

Default AvGas

AvGas Is 100 Octane..Low Lead. Using this fuel in your modern automobile is Definitely NOT recommended. Lead will destroy your Catalytic Converter. Weather I would use 100 Low Lead (AvGas) in my boat is your choice. The near term advantage may be overturned by the long term detriment. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #12
NoBozo

Default Food For Thought

Back in the late eighties, a fellow at our local airport had two small planes that he used for towing Banners. (Advertising) His planes were FAA certified for use of MoGas. ie: Gas from a local gas station. He transported the MoGas in a tank in the back of his pickup.

MoGas has always been significantly cheaper than "100 Low Lead AvGas".

He Needed, and Had PERMITS to transport gasoline in bulk in his pickup. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #13
Woody38

My engine in the boat is a 1938 Chris Craft and ethanol is very definitely a problem.

Izzy Anna
Old 07-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #14
Rich

Somehow this thread has changed into 'where can you get non-ethanol fuel', please keep it on track:

EVERYONE Should contact their representatives and tell them to not allow any more ethanol in our fuel. It's not good for our boats, nor for any of our other small engines.

Since E10, I've spent a lot of money repairing many engine issues. Not only on boats.

So do you really want to sit back and allow them to move to E15 (which has higher concentrations of Ethanol)?

Please help to kill E15!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #15
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Ethanol continued-January 2017

Hi All,

I got this today from BoatUS and it should be read carefully. Hopefully it will get people to go to this link to sign a petition (again):

http://cqrcengage.com/boatus/app/sig...ementId=265713

I had to paste the text into this post from the email so most of the formatting got lost but I tweaked it a bit.

PLEASE use the link above to complain-coax-convince the powers that be that this cannot happen. Ethanol is already already bad enough. 15% will be a nightmare.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear BoatU.S. Member:

BoatU.S. needs your help with a petition to the new Administration and Congress to protect your boat's engine. Please take a moment to help us send a strong message that it is time for the broken renewable fuel/ethanol policy to be fixed.

The 12-year-old Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) is a federal law that forces more ethanol into the nation's gasoline supply. The only way to meet this government mandate is to add more ethanol to gasoline, beyond the current widespread 10% level, or E10 blend.

The current RFS policy is trouble for boaters:

Gasoline with more than 10% ethanol has been shown to damage boat engines A study by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory conclusively demonstrated that E15 damages boat engines. As the RFS forces E15 and higher blends into the market, the chance of harming your boat’s engine increases.

You could put the wrong fuel in your boat While gas blends with more than 10% ethanol are prohibited for use in recreational boats under federal law, a 2016 Harris Poll found that 64% of consumers were not sure or did not pay attention to the type of gas they used. Pumps dispensing blends greater than 10% ethanol are only required to display a small orange warning sticker raising the chance of misfueling your boat.

Higher ethanol blends are becoming more common E15 and higher ethanol blends can now be found in at least 23 states, often at the very same roadside gas pumps dispensing E10 fuel. With only the one warning label, boaters have to be extra vigilant to prevent misfueling with engine damaging ethanol blends.

You could face big repair bills 87% of readers of a prominent boating industry publication reported seeing customers with engine damage caused by ethanol. While modern marine engines are designed for E10, higher ethanol blends of 15%, 20% and even up to 85% ethanol, will cause even more damage to boat engines.

Can you count on your engine when you need it? Boat engines that are unreliable due to ethanol issues are a safety concern for every boater. When the weather turns and you need to count on your engine, there should be no question whether it will get you home.

Gas without any ethanol is becoming harder to find The RFS arbitrarily limits the supply of ethanol-free gasoline (E0), a fuel that many boat owners prefer to protect their engine.

BoatU.S. is calling on the new Administration and Congress to reform this broken government mandate and make certain there is gas available that will not damage your boat. Use the link below to add your voice:

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) is a law passed in 2005 that requires the blending of biofuels such as corn-ethanol into our gasoline. To keep up with this mandate, in 2010 the EPA permitted E15 (fuel containing up to 15% ethanol) into the marketplace, but only for some automobile engines. E15 is prohibited to use in marine engines. It is also prohibited to use E15 in snowmobiles, motorcycles, small engines like lawnmowers and leaf blowers, as well as any car or light-truck made before 2001. Click here for more information on the Renewable Fuel Standard.

Thanks for being a BoatU.S. member and for taking action to tell the new Administration and Congress how more ethanol in gas will affect you.

Sincerely,

David Kennedy
BoatU.S. Government Affairs
(703) 461-2878 x8363

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. If you prefer not to receive Boat Owners Association of The United States Government Affairs Alert emails go to http://www.boatus.com/gov/unsub.asp or use the link at the bottom of this message.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
smith point boater (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #16
Rich

I received this also.

This is important to anyone that owns a boat (or most any other gasoline engine).

Get your voice heard as best you can, we can only hope to beat this 15%!!!!