Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2022, 02:12 PM   #1
The Real BigGuy

Default No Wake

I’m amazed (guess I shouldn’t be) at how many boats I see flaunting “No Wake” zones this early in the season. Today, going into no wake zone west of The Hole In The Wall I see 2 boats now up and plowing. I’m Orion for them to slow down and, apparently, I’m invisible because they look right thru me and keep on trucking.

I guess boneheads don’t die or fade away. They multiply!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (05-16-2022), BroadHopper (05-15-2022), tis (06-25-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 02:53 PM   #2
JTA

More and more people out there who don’t know what they’re doing.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:41 PM   #3
Weekend Pundit

Post It's Only Gonna Get Worse

Yup, the Cap'n Boneheads will be out in force this summer...assuming they can afford the fuel.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:06 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default New no wake zone

Outside of Glendale. No one is paying attention. Even the island residents and local fishermen. Going to get interesting!
Old 05-15-2022, 07:28 AM   #5
garysanfran

Yesterday I was surprised to see a patrol boat near Stonedam Island with two officers fishing.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2022, 01:03 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Yesterday I was surprised to see a patrol boat near Stonedam Island with two officers fishing.
They must have been working undercover.

Or... Could it have been F & G or DES doing catch, TAG, and release?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
smittyofeb (05-23-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 01:19 PM   #7
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Outside of Glendale. No one is paying attention. Even the island residents and local fishermen. Going to get interesting!
Often, when one state has a good idea and it has been implemented for awhile, other states follow suit. NH has had the 150' boat to boat rule for many years. As far as I know, it doesn't exist in 49 other states, and there is no push to copy. Hundredss of our 960 lakes are not routinely patrolled by MP, so the 150' rule doesn't apply there so much. MP will stop you when you come too close to them, but rarely when two other boats approach each other. Obviously, NWZ and related definitions are a continuing source of disagreement on this Forum. Is there a better way to deal with boats passing too close at speed? Is it really a problem? Only in NH but nowhere else? Be interesting to hear from those who do some boating in other states.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:59 PM   #8
John Mercier

''Q. What is the speed limit for boating on lakes?

A. On lakes and ponds that allow for the use of motorized boats, vessels are not to exceed a speed of 5mph within the “Shoreline Safety Zone,” defined as the portion of the surface area of public waters within 200 feet of the shoreline. A "no-wake speed" is also required within 200 feet of marked swim areas and other vessels, including canoes and kayaks.''

https://dec.vermont.gov/watershed/la...c-waters-rules
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:04 PM   #9
John Mercier

''Operating at an excessive speed considering weather conditions, boat traffic, and other hazards. For inland waters, operating at a speed greater than 45 mph is considered negligent operation.''
''Operating at greater than headway speed (6 mph or less) within 150 feet of a swimmer, waterskier, mooring area, marina, boat launch, or when the operator's vision is obscured in any way.''

https://www.mass.gov/service-details...ng-law-summary

It takes a while... but it seems that the surrounding States are going toward the same restrictions. Most probably because the minority of the users that violate the rules often look for other outlets. So a problem that doesn't exist in an area, slowly becomes a problem... and then the rule gets adopted.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:06 PM   #10
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
''Operating at an excessive speed considering weather conditions, boat traffic, and other hazards. For inland waters, operating at a speed greater than 45 mph is considered negligent operation.''
''Operating at greater than headway speed (6 mph or less) within 150 feet of a swimmer, waterskier, mooring area, marina, boat launch, or when the operator's vision is obscured in any way.''

https://www.mass.gov/service-details...ng-law-summary

It takes a while... but it seems that the surrounding States are going toward the same restrictions. Most probably because the minority of the users that violate the rules often look for other outlets. So a problem that doesn't exist in an area, slowly becomes a problem... and then the rule gets adopted.
I would say here on the Merrimack River in the Lowell area the last number of years it HAS been an issue with many accidents and deaths related to too close passage and too fast passage. Not not sure if you are being sarcastic? But it seems to be an issue. Also in some of the smaller lakes/ponds here on the border, I remember almost being hit while I was water skiing because a boat wanted to cut across and between me and the boat. Stupidity? Yes, but I think that the 150' rule is something that is needed around. And I agree, the small lakes/ponds don't get patrolled so it's a over looked.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:15 PM   #11
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Obviously, NWZ and related definitions are a continuing source of disagreement on this Forum.
There shouldn’t be any disagreement on the definition of what no wake means. From NH RSA 270-D:1 Definitions:

VI. "Headway speed" means the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way.

VIII. "No wake area" means an area where a boat is to be operated only at headway speed.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:18 PM   #12
The Real BigGuy

The “North Carolina General Statute 75A-14.1 Lake Norman No-Wake Law”.

This law states as follows: “It is unlawful to operate a vessel at greater than no-wake speed within 50 yards of a vessel launching area, bridge, dock, pier, marina, vessel storage structure, or vessel service area on the waters of Lake Norman.”

“No-Wake speed” means idle speed or slow speed creating no appreciable wake.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:24 PM   #13
The Real BigGuy

State of Washington
“Chapter 12.10
NO-WAKE ZONE

12.10.010 Definitions.
“Speed control area” means that portion of the jurisdictional waters of the town within 300 feet of the end of the docks and marked by speed control buoys.

“Wake” means any visible trail of turbulence that produces white water at the bow or stern left in the water by a watercraft or vessel. [Ord. 365 § 1, 2008]”

I think the idea that NH is the only state in the country with no wake or safe passage laws can safely be called fake news.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:56 PM   #14
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Be interesting to hear from those who do some boating in other states.
Most summers I spend a little time in the Falmouth, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket area. That area seems to be so wide open that boats just don't pass that close.

In Florida it is much different. Boats will routinely overtake you and pass 20 or 30 feet away. After spending most of my time on Winnipesaukee that is sometimes shocking. I have been thinking of putting a rear view mirror on the boat just so I am not surprised when it happens.

The safety factor is one aspect, because the boat passing has no idea if you will be turning or changing course at all. There is not a lot of time to react when two boats are that close. The second issue is the wake and spray from the passing boat. I often wonder it the boat operator going by gives that any thought at all. I think to do that to another boat is rude, but since it is done all the time in Florida it is just something you learn to accept.

Boating is very different when you get off the lake.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Descant (05-16-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 09:49 PM   #15
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Most summers I spend a little time in the Falmouth, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket area. That area seems to be so wide open that boats just don't pass that close.

In Florida it is much different. Boats will routinely overtake you and pass 20 or 30 feet away. After spending most of my time on Winnipesaukee that is sometimes shocking. I have been thinking of putting a rear view mirror on the boat just so I am not surprised when it happens.

The safety factor is one aspect, because the boat passing has no idea if you will be turning or changing course at all. There is not a lot of time to react when two boats are that close. The second issue is the wake and spray from the passing boat. I often wonder it the boat operator going by gives that any thought at all. I think to do that to another boat is rude, but since it is done all the time in Florida it is just something you learn to accept.

Boating is very different when you get off the lake.
After years of acclimating to the NH 150' rule, boating in FL can be down right scary.

I had a guy pass my family and I in my 20' bow rider with his 30'+ center console in a narrow channel.

He was about twenty feet abeam of us running at the worst possible angle as he was climbing up on plane.

I am pretty sure he needed a distress flare suppository but that gear was stowed.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 05:43 AM   #16
BroadHopper

Default USCG Safe passage rule

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navR...n%20Rule%2028.

This should cover all 50 states. However states create their own rules clouding safe passage judgement among boaters. Why can't we just enforce rule 18 and another important Rule 20 "rules of the road".

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...d%20necessary.

Enforce these rules and all should be fine!
Old 05-16-2022, 06:26 AM   #17
garysanfran

Quote:
They must have been working undercover.

Or... Could it have been F & G or DES doing catch, TAG, and release?
Maybe. Two officers in the boat. One alternated between fishing and using binocs to scout other boats. I think they were scouting for violators. The boat was unmarked. Later they stopped an over crowded Whaler near Stonedam. They also seemed to spend a lot of time monitoring Sally's Gut...From a distance. Maybe placating the resident curmudgeon there.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:26 AM   #18
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
There shouldn’t be any disagreement on the definition of what no wake means. From NH RSA 270-D:1 Definitions:

VI. "Headway speed" means the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way.

VIII. "No wake area" means an area where a boat is to be operated only at headway speed.
Hardly close on point. Everybody has NWZ close to shore, swim areas, etc etc. The point of the discussion was "Boat to Boat" an d the difficulty of enforcing it. Not that we expect MP to be stopping everybody who is a violator, but based on folks experience in other states. Unless I misread them, the quotes of various laws were not on point re: boat to boat.
Dad207 (06-24-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 11:06 AM   #19
John Mercier

A "no-wake speed" is also required within 200 feet of marked swim areas and other vessels, including canoes and kayaks.

Pretty sure that Vermont's ''other vessels'' includes boat-to-boat.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:16 PM   #20
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Hardly close on point. Everybody has NWZ close to shore, swim areas, etc etc. The point of the discussion was "Boat to Boat" an d the difficulty of enforcing it. Not that we expect MP to be stopping everybody who is a violator, but based on folks experience in other states. Unless I misread them, the quotes of various laws were not on point re: boat to boat.
I was responding to your comment regarding disagreement concerning the definition of No Wake. The definition, as published by the state is very clear!

Old 05-17-2022, 10:15 AM   #21
Descant

Quote:
I was responding to your comment regarding disagreement concerning the definition of No Wake. The definition, as published by the state is very clear!
Perhaps I should have used the word discussion instead of disagreement? Over the years there has been a lot of discussion. Some time ago, the definition was modified to add "6 mph" to allow for places where there are currents. in 2019, this was deleted and a new definition was passed by the legislature. Two years later, MP thought there was enough misunderstanding to cause them to publish this in 2021.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...highlight=wake
Old 05-17-2022, 11:24 AM   #22
The Real BigGuy

The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Descant (05-17-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #23
XCR-700

Ignoring no wake zones is clearly a problem, what I cant tell is if some boaters only think its there to buffer other boaters from waves causing them a potential loss of control, so they ignore it when there are no there are no pother boats, or do they know its also intended to protect property and just dont care???

As for the150' rule, I follow it because its the law, but in my mind its excessive and promotes incompetent boaters feeling comfortable on a busy lake, rather than inexperienced boaters building up their operation skills.

As stated previously in this thread; in other places you will have other boats passing by (in either direction) with as little as 20' - 30' feet of separation! I think 50' is a good reasonable number for any reasonably capable boater, but that just my opinion.

We now live in world of the nanny state of adjust and regulate to lowest possible skill set, and also the loudest voice, and there is no place for common sense or reasonable expectations and standards. So we will all have to learn to live with the loss of what was reasonable and accept the land of laws we have allowed to take over, where every aspect of life is regulated and taxed and monitored by someone. Sure glad I was able to see the world actually work in the 1960s and 70s so that I have a reality check on the media and political and other nonsense we all get barraged with every day.

Not the world I grew up in, and NOT better!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:46 PM   #24
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
As for the150' rule, I follow it because its the law, but in my mind its excessive . . . I think 50' is a good reasonable number for any reasonably capable boater, but that just my opinion.
50 feet is much too close to canoes and kayaks. I think a lot of people can't estimate 50 or 150 feet. By the time they slow down approaching a canoe or kayak, they've already caused waves that can upset a small craft. I try to avoid this by not paddling where there are motor boats and paddling defensively. I also carry an air horn.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:04 PM   #25
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
50 feet is much too close to canoes and kayaks. I think a lot of people can't estimate 50 or 150 feet. By the time they slow down approaching a canoe or kayak, they've already caused waves that can upset a small craft. I try to avoid this by not paddling where there are motor boats and paddling defensively. I also carry an air horn.
I totally agree!

Sorry I was referring to boats, as in power boats.

150' is probably a good number for sail boats, but may not even be enough for canoes and kayaks.

Sorry I should have been more clear.

We are on the same page for this, you should never be in a position to need an air horn due to a power boat coming too close, thats unthinkable if it was intentional.

Unfortunately there will always be the possibility of odd cases where if you are paddling a canoe or kayak, that you could become hidden from view of a power boat and there could be a close encounter, so I do understand the logic of having a horn.

ATB
Old 05-18-2022, 06:33 PM   #26
John Mercier

Quote:
We aren't going to go that way...
Far too many people of ''ill character'' that cannot be given the opportunity to be problematic.

We've clearly gone to boating licenses and restrictions on those operators that are too young to be licensed. We've made small moves toward non-residents having higher registration costs... much like other off-road recreational activities... and I suspect that power boaters will take the brunt of the latest economic situation.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:30 PM   #27
XCR-700

Quote:
We aren't going to go that way...
Far too many people of ''ill character'' that cannot be given the opportunity to be problematic.

We've clearly gone to boating licenses and restrictions on those operators that are too young to be licensed. We've made small moves toward non-residents having higher registration costs... much like other off-road recreational activities... and I suspect that power boaters will take the brunt of the latest economic situation.
Not sure I understand much of this response.

Boating licenses do virtually nothing as no one has to demonstrative their actual ability to operate the boat, its just a education certificate, and even the proctored component is worthless as they accept licenses from other states proctored or not.

Meaningful boater safety only comes with experience. Anything else is superficial.

Not sure how the economy or other comments about character or "We aren't going to go that way..." quite fit in, but for the moment I'll simply assume they are meaningful to others.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:38 PM   #28
chachee52

Quote:
I think a lot of people can't estimate 50 or 150 feet.
I can't agree more!! When I was taking the license course way back with it was actually in a class room, there was a sea captain that operated out Seabrook (if I remember correctly). The MP teaching had us go outside an walk 150' from the steps in front of the school we were at. He had measured before the class. The Sea Captain was 30ft at best, not exaggerating!!! He then argued that where he was doesn't need to obey the 150' rule because it was salt water/river inlet. The MP asked for his boat name and then said "well I'll make sure I let my friends know and they can pull you over and you can tell them that too and then they will give you your ticket".
Old 05-18-2022, 08:43 PM   #29
Hivolt

Quote:
Ignoring no wake zones is clearly a problem, what I cant tell is if some boaters only think its there to buffer other boaters from waves causing them a potential loss of control, so they ignore it when there are no there are no pother boats, or do they know its also intended to protect property and just dont care???

As for the150' rule, I follow it because its the law, but in my mind its excessive and promotes incompetent boaters feeling comfortable on a busy lake, rather than inexperienced boaters building up their operation skills.

As stated previously in this thread; in other places you will have other boats passing by (in either direction) with as little as 20' - 30' feet of separation! I think 50' is a good reasonable number for any reasonably capable boater, but that just my opinion.

We now live in world of the nanny state of adjust and regulate to lowest possible skill set, and also the loudest voice, and there is no place for common sense or reasonable expectations and standards. So we will all have to learn to live with the loss of what was reasonable and accept the land of laws we have allowed to take over, where every aspect of life is regulated and taxed and monitored by someone. Sure glad I was able to see the world actually work in the 1960s and 70s so that I have a reality check on the media and political and other nonsense we all get barraged with every day.

Not the world I grew up in, and NOT better!
With the change in the "no wake" law from a set speed to the "slowest speed at which your vessel is under control". It's likely not worth issuing a ticket unless someone is clearly on plane.
The same goes for the 150' rule. Unless they are passing within a 150' buoy it's next to impossible to prove they were actually within 150' and anyone could go to court and contest and win both those cases.
Hivolt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hivolt For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 08:55 PM   #30
John Mercier

Quote:
Not sure I understand much of this response.

Boating licenses do virtually nothing as no one has to demonstrative their actual ability to operate the boat, its just a education certificate, and even the proctored component is worthless as they accept licenses from other states proctored or not.

Meaningful boater safety only comes with experience. Anything else is superficial.

Not sure how the economy or other comments about character or "We aren't going to go that way..." quite fit in, but for the moment I'll simply assume they are meaningful to others.
Each up and down session results in an expansion and contraction of the higher cost recreational format. Boating licenses were prescribed as a means to overcome the bad behavior (ill character)... if they don't overcome the perception... which you, yourself, stated that they can't. The Legislature will be pushed by the general public to go further.

The further may be... we need more MP... so the cost of boating registrations must rise to offset the cost of more MP, higher fuel and equipment prices, etc.

Residents, that can vote, will not want higher registration costs... and one of the few places to look is non-residents using reciprocity.
Historically, this is how snowmobiling moved from several open states to having registration in each state be the requiem.

Now... if everyone was behaving gracefully... not much that anyone can complain about.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:48 PM   #31
XCR-700

Quote:
Now... if everyone was behaving gracefully... not much that anyone can complain about.
Well this a nice wish, and I hope to see it like that (again) on the lake, but I suspect it will get worse not better as the growth in Winnipesaukee boating continues.

Even if gas hits $10/gal and registration is $1000 I dont think we will see a significant change in behavior, as the troublesome types see to endure and the people that I share standards with tend to give up and move on.

We will see,,,
Old 05-19-2022, 10:13 PM   #32
John Mercier

Quite plausible.

It seems our political system favors raising registrations and adding further regulation to offset problems rather than just placing heavy fines and penalties on the act at the get-go and nipping the problems early.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:19 PM   #33
Weekend Pundit

Default I Use Boat Lengths

Quote:
I think a lot of people can't estimate 50 or 150 feet.
I try to gauge distance by the number of boat lengths, in this case multiples of my boat's length (20 feet). I find it easier to guesstimate 150 feet (7-1/2 boat lengths). A couple times I borrowed a rangefinder to find out how close I came to guesstimating distance between my boat and another boat, a dock, a buoy, a shoreline, or some other object. I think worst case I was off by about 30 feet at 150 feet (I guessed 120 feet). Conditions at the time threw off my guess, but better I underestimate the distance rather than the other way around. Generally I was with 15 feet out to about 200 feet. After that I my error expanded quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weekend Pundit For This Useful Post:
DotRat (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 11:02 PM   #34
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit View Post
I try to gauge distance by the number of boat lengths, in this case multiples of my boat's length (20 feet). I find it easier to guesstimate 150 feet (7-1/2 boat lengths). A couple times I borrowed a rangefinder to find out how close I came to guesstimating distance between my boat and another boat, a dock, a buoy, a shoreline, or some other object. I think worst case I was off by about 30 feet at 150 feet (I guessed 120 feet). Conditions at the time threw off my guess, but better I underestimate the distance rather than the other way around. Generally I was with 15 feet out to about 200 feet. After that I my error expanded quickly.
Good info.
Going in and out of various public docks, I was taught to use a fixture on shore, e.g. a boat house, as my reference. Usually, it was more like 300-400 feet. No problem, and we needed the extra time to determine which dock to head for in, say, Meredith or Wolfeboro.

Watch. For the most part the larger the boat the farther out they slow down or accelerate going out. The smaller the boat, the more likely they are to try to scoot past others to get to the dock, violating the boat to shore safe passage as well as boat to boat. I'd love to have a dockmaster who would refuse these guys dockage and tell them to go out in the bay and start over: "You're number 12, and I'm watching". I'd rather see this than saddle MP with it, and I think it might be more effective without tickets, etc. Those guys bother me more than close passage in more open waters.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #35
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Descant, then you would have to pay for docking to pay the harbormaster.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:46 AM   #36
TiltonBB

No sense adding to the Police, Dockmaster, or Marine Patrol duties.

How about just a Social Worker to counsel them on their docking habits and tell them to try harder next time!

Last edited by TiltonBB; 05-23-2022 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:57 AM   #37
Descant

Tis: We have volunteers in Glendale. Works just fine, and the PD backs them up with a substation at the docks. Wolfeboro PD monitors the docks for extended overtime parking. Wouldn't take much to extend their activity a little. Taxpayers who are willing to pay for public docks should want to have them well operated to maximize benefit to merchants and residents alike.
Dad207 (06-24-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 11:53 AM   #38
Weekend Pundit

Default You Just Need The Right Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Descant, then you would have to pay for docking to pay the harbormaster.
Find a couple of surly curmudgeons with nothing better to do. It lets them put the "young whippersnappers" in their place, gets people unwilling to take any guff from the Cap'n Boneheads in place, and provides better control of the no wake and docking situations.

Last edited by Weekend Pundit; 05-24-2022 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Add some clarification!
Old 05-22-2022, 12:44 PM   #39
John Mercier

Quote:
Tis: We have volunteers in Glendale. Works just fine, and the PD backs them up with a substation at the docks. Wolfeboro PD monitors the docks for extended overtime parking. Wouldn't take much to extend their activity a little. Taxpayers who are willing to pay for public docks should want to have them well operated to maximize benefit to merchants and residents alike.
I wonder how that will work long term... each municipality on the lake seems so different.
I haven't been around most... especially in recent years... but more docking traffic at Meredith seems to clash with the way Route 3 goes between the docks and most of the merchants. While the Weirs had Route 3 further from the waterfront, but is - at least according to reports and what I see being purchased - in a refurbish mode.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:08 PM   #40
Descant

Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit View Post
Find a couple of surly curmudgeons with nothing better to do. It lets them put the "young whippersnappers" in their place, gets people unwilling to take any guff from the Cap'n Boneheads, and provides better control of the no wake and docking situations.
Exactly right. I bet they'd even buy their own whistle and clipboard. "We're gonna take names and kick ass." Gunnery Sergeant Walker. June 10, 1970 NAS Pensacola. LOL
Old 05-22-2022, 09:43 PM   #41
gillygirl

Quote:

As of a few years ago, they were paid employees, not volunteers. Perhaps that has changed. The only volunteers I saw were on weekends questioning people launching their boats about where it had been, checking for invasive species.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-23-2022, 10:51 AM   #42
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
As of a few years ago, they were paid employees, not volunteers. Perhaps that has changed. The only volunteers I saw were on weekends questioning people launching their boats about where it had been, checking for invasive species.
You're right, there's a mix. The Lake Hosts are joint project between NHLakes and DES. Some paid, some volunteers. As far back as the mid 60's the Town of Gilford PD had an officer on duty (Bert Shaughnessy). The point is, it is easily within possibility to have someone manage these "impossible" issues.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:28 AM   #43
steve-on-mark

Default Nwz??

I had my first experience in the new nwz saturday ... coming from Mt. View over to Glendale, I slowed down to headway speed and was promptly passed rapidly from behind by two boats ( one on either side ). Oh well...
Old 05-23-2022, 03:25 PM   #44
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
I had my first experience in the new nwz saturday ... coming from Mt. View over to Glendale, I slowed down to headway speed and was promptly passed rapidly from behind by two boats ( one on either side ). Oh well...
All weekend! Boaters ignore the NWZ. Same as the NWZ between Eagle and Governors. Guess they think MP is only seasonal.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:30 PM   #45
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Exactly right. I bet they'd even buy their own whistle and clipboard. "We're gonna take names and kick ass." Gunnery Sergeant Walker. June 10, 1970 NAS Pensacola. LOL
Ah yes, Aviation Officer Candidate School. Staff Sergeant Snow, USMC, class 06-87. Good times.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 04:55 AM   #46
tis

MP is not the same since the SP took over. I am very disappointed.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:44 AM   #47
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
MP is not the same since the SP took over. I am very disappointed.
On the flip side of that coin...many years ago we were renting a slip at Fays, and one day I was coming in with the pontoon. I was pulled over just before I got to the mooring field there by MP, who told me " one of your bow numbers is faded...go to Fays and get a new number...NOW!" The curious onlookers at the marina had a good laugh after I told them what I'd done wrong! I also remember being stopped a few times for " equipment checks".

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2022, 11:56 AM   #48
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default Brand spanking new no wake zone out of glendale

OMG, I cant believe the signage at this NEW NO WAKE Zone !!

Shame on the Marine Patrol !!!

You need binoculars at 50 feet to read the NO Wake on a look a like lighted buoy like marker.

You have no idea where the zone begins or ends ?

What kind of signage is this.. a brand NEW no wake zone that's not on any of the charts yet.. and they put a sign you couldn't read unless you where 20ft away from and is way out of position.

What Happen to the big NO WAKE buoy and signs of the past?

I can see everyone not seeing that buoy and going through at full speed like past seasons as a shortcut down the lake to Alton.

The buoy on that side isn't even near the middle at all, its way off to the shore on the right, where no one comes from..
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:04 PM   #49
Weekend Pundit

Angry Buoys? What Buoys?

I launched my boat at Glendale early yesterday evening (6:30PM) and neither I or my son saw one of the new NWZ buoys until we were on top of it. (I took a slight 'detour' around Locke's Island before heading into Smith Cove to dock my boat. So sue me.)

I have to agree that they need to be better placed, i.e. more visible. Otherwise a lot of boaters will unknowingly violate No Wake. I'd hate to think they'll be ticketed because of the poor marking of the NWZ.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weekend Pundit For This Useful Post:
DotRat (05-24-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 06:51 PM   #50
chachee52

Went through that area today. Agreed, the buoy on the southeast side is just one along Lock Island, they need a second one on the land side. So really not sure where it starts coming from the broads, the two on the Northwest side are clear and makes sense.
Hopefully they will fix that up soon.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:24 PM   #51
Dad207

Location: Summer home at Echo Shores, Minge Cove; home in Baltimore MD
Default No wake --Other Side of the Lake

Quote:
I’m amazed (guess I shouldn’t be) at how many boats I see flaunting “No Wake” zones this early in the season. Today, going into no wake zone west of The Hole In The Wall I see 2 boats now up and plowing. I’m Orion for them to slow down and, apparently, I’m invisible because they look right thru me and keep on trucking.

I guess boneheads don’t die or fade away. They multiply!
Over at Minge Cove near Alton, we've got the same thing-- boaters cruising in at high speed ignoring the no wake marker, makes it very unpleasant at our place on the point, hard on our dock and sea wall; noisy too. Hate to be a jerk and start yelling at people, but what else can one do when folks ignore the rules, as well as common boating courtesy?
Dad207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:19 AM   #52
Grove84

Default Nwz - back in the day

I got into boating on Winni in 2001. Kory Keenan sold me
My first and current boat. I was fortunate as I had him as my first teacher on proper operation. I can remember people who had property by NWZ when an operator was in violation the old hand held air horn getting blasted and
The coaching from the shoreline. It stuck with me since , today when I am in a NWZ and see someone violating this simple boating rule, I hit the horn on the boat and me and my passengers remind the violators is No Wake ! It’s my way of
Paying it forward 😄. Yes they have the plastic safe boater certification (maybe), and we all know MP’s can’t be everywhere. Have a great safe weekend on the water and enjoy using your boat horn as needed☺️ Former USN EWSW E5 1987
Grove84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #53
JTA

Default To Dad207

I would buy the loudest air horn that I could find and blast them with a very long shot. Save your voice.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:21 AM   #54
GodSmile

Default other than Weirs Channel

... it seems none of the no wake zones see much/any enforcement. Yet they keep making more no wake zones.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:02 AM   #55
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSmile View Post
... it seems none of the no wake zones see much/any enforcement. Yet they keep making more no wake zones.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:17 PM   #56
John Mercier

Quote:
Need more MP. They can't be everywhere at once.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:46 PM   #57
WinterHarborGuy

During COVID,I heard (from instructor during an in person boating license class in Tuftonboro) that 30,000 boating licenses were granted.

That seems crazy high, but who knows. It was online for nearly 2 years.
WinterHarborGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:34 PM   #58
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterHarborGuy View Post
During COVID,I heard (from instructor during an in person boating license class in Tuftonboro) that 30,000 boating licenses were granted.

That seems crazy high, but who knows. It was online for nearly 2 years.
That doesn't count anybody who got the certification from some other state, does it? Look at how many disregard the 150' boat to boat safe passage.
Recall that, while we want safety, we don't want enforcement to be so onerous that we scare away tourist $$ and general enjoyment by locals, on all lakes, not just Winnipesaukee.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:26 AM   #59
CK5 Truck

Now... if everyone was behaving gracefully... not much that anyone can complain about.[/QUOTE]

Haha this is funny, people have become accustomed to complaining about EVERYTHING, for some of you its like breathing.
CK5 Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:33 AM   #60
TiltonBB

Quote:
On Sunday, 6/27/2022 at about 11 AM the Marine Patrol had a boat just off Varney Point enforcing the new 'No Wake" zone between Varney Point and Locke's Island. When we went through he had a boat stopped.

Two hours later on the way back we followed a boat going through at normal speed.

It seems that it should be marked better and it is difficult to determine where it ends, at least on the south side. It is going to take a long time to educate people who have been going through that area for years that it is now No Wake.

I hope that, for this year, they are just informing people and not ticketing them. That positive interaction with Marine Patrol will go a long way for public relations.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:13 AM   #61
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Agreed

Quote:
On Sunday, 6/27/2022 at about 11 AM the Marine Patrol had a boat just off Varney Point enforcing the new 'No Wake" zone between Varney Point and Locke's Island. When we went through he had a boat stopped.

Two hours later on the way back we followed a boat going through at normal speed.

It seems that it should be marked better and it is difficult to determine where it ends, at least on the south side. It is going to take a long time to educate people who have been going through that area for years that it is now No Wake.

I hope that, for this year, they are just informing people and not ticketing them. That positive interaction with Marine Patrol will go a long way for public relations.
Couldn’t agree more about the south side marker. It definitely need to brought in more towards the main channel or add another one in the channel as no one can see it.

I was told marine patrol did not want to hinder navigation by putting it in the channel. To me that makes no sense as it is the start of the no wake zone and the marker is meant to slow boaters down…

Dan
Old 06-27-2022, 10:58 AM   #62
Descant

Default Enforcement

I used to interact frequently with MP when Dave Barrett was Director of Safety Services. The plan then was always to educate when there was a new rule before handing out tickets. I believe Capt. Dunleavy has the same sense of direction. Although they have merged MP into State Police, I think the phrase "safety services" still applies. The CO's for Fish and Game seem to operate with a similar philosophy. They all do a good job.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:58 AM   #63
John Mercier

Tim retired.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:16 PM   #64
ishoot308

Quote:
I used to interact frequently with MP when Dave Barrett was Director of Safety Services. The plan then was always to educate when there was a new rule before handing out tickets. I believe Capt. Dunleavy has the same sense of direction. Although they have merged MP into State Police, I think the phrase "safety services" still applies. The CO's for Fish and Game seem to operate with a similar philosophy. They all do a good job.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nh_dos...77720297192917

Dan
Descant (06-27-2022), Phantom (06-27-2022), upthesaukee (06-27-2022), webmaster (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #65
Descant

Quote:
Tim retired.
Yes. My post should have said "had" instead of "has". The S and D are too close together on my keyboard and spell check doesn't pick up that sort of typo.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:29 PM   #66
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

People violating the no-wake zones is nothing new... It has been getting worse every year, for many years.... In my mind it has less to do with education... and more to do with the attitude of the new generation of boaters....

Gen X was bad enough the Millannials, have the attitude that the only thing that matters is themselves, and they do what they want when the want... Things like no-wake zones simply don't apply to them.... Neither does manners when waiting at the docks...
Old 06-27-2022, 04:21 PM   #67
lakershaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Gen X was bad enough the Millannials, have the attitude that the only thing that matters is themselves, and they do what they want when the want... Things like no-wake zones simply don't apply to them.... Neither does manners when waiting at the docks...
... and don't get me started about those Boomers!
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:34 PM   #68
John Mercier

Boomers are dying off... so the percentage of boaters that will be GenX or Millennial will increase over the next decade.

This is part of what ''Woke'' actually means.
It is a change in political, social, and economic power that occurs when one dominate generation is overtaken by another.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:42 PM   #69
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Yes. My post should have said "had" instead of "has". The S and D are too close together on my keyboard and spell check doesn't pick up that sort of typo.
I can be hired out as a proofreader for cheap money...

DotRat (06-27-2022), upthesaukee (06-28-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 10:26 PM   #70
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
I can be hired out as a proofreader for cheap money...
Sure, but Dan and John caught the error for free.
upthesaukee (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 12:24 AM   #71
John Mercier

I went to school with Tim.
The last I saw of him he was riding on his lawnmower cutting his yard.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:12 AM   #72
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Sure, but Dan and John caught the error for free.
Sure...after correcting you publicly!

Old 06-28-2022, 06:02 PM   #73
John Mercier

I didn't do it to be mean.
I just keep track of old school mates and what they are currently up to.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:17 AM   #74
mowtorman

Default New Glendale No Wake Zone

Is a joke. It doesn't cover the area that is/was the identified "problem". The 40 footers come out of Fay's....and get on plane at the no wake marker. They drive by south of Locke's putting up 5 footers that roll into Locke's and slam the exposed docks and boats.

One of the landowners was patrolling the new zone on her jetski telling everyone it is no wake at Pig Island.

Seems like poor use of "LAKELIFE" time if it is spent as auxiliary marine patrol. Lose your mind or change location? The only way to rectify the "problem" would have been to extend the the NWZ out to the red marker east of Glendale off Locke's. Then you would upset the sailboat and yacht owners in a hurry to get where they are going. Except for Moultonboro Bay everything is fairly easy access from Glendale. When a person is relaxing .... enjoying quality "LAKELIFE" time I'm not sure what's the rush?

We probably need a "LAKELIFE" manual, it would sell like hotcakes and everyone would know how to live their "best" lives at least while in NH.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:14 PM   #75
TiltonBB

Let's hope we don't get to this point!

The short version:
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office said that Fair confessed to firing the gun after he was arrested. Deputies said Fair referred to the shot as a ‘warning shot’ to scare the boaters into slowing down.

The full story:
https://www.winknews.com/2022/07/05/...ters-in-canal/
Old 07-06-2022, 03:11 PM   #76
Descant

Quote:

The short version:
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office said that Fair confessed to firing the gun after he was arrested. Deputies said Fair referred to the shot as a ‘warning shot’ to scare the boaters into slowing down.

The full story:
I think if I were in the NWZ and somebody fired at me, I'd be inclined to speed up and leave as fast as I could go, not slow down. Amusing that the driver said he had previously increased his speed to negotiate a turn in the canal. That makes no sense to me.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:41 PM   #77
ishoot308

Quote:

The short version:

The full story:
Anybody who fires a firearm be it warning or not because of a no wake discrepancy is obviously mentally unstable and few fries short of a happy meal!

He should be arrested for criminal endangerment immediately, placed in prison for a determined amount of time, all his firearms should be confiscated and he should never be allowed to own a firearm again!

Dan
garysanfran (07-06-2022), upthesaukee (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 06:23 PM   #78
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Agreed

Totally agree, Dan.

Road rage has increased over the years and now extending over to boating. Egad!!!

Dave
Old 07-06-2022, 07:15 PM   #79
garysanfran

On two occasions I was tempted to throw my sub-sandwich, from Lakeside Deli, at boats that I had to avoid in NWZ's because they were on-plane and "appeared to not see me".

One was at the half-eaten point, and the other had 1/3 to go.

I suppose it would have been assault.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:45 AM   #80
tis

Quote:
On two occasions I was tempted to throw my sub-sandwich, from Lakeside Deli, at boats that I had to avoid in NWZ's because they were on-plane and "appeared to not see me".

But you didn't? I wish I could see that. Maybe those potato shooter things?
Old 07-07-2022, 07:09 AM   #81
WinnisquamZ

Can you use a paint ball gun!

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:20 AM   #82
The Real BigGuy

A long time ago I asked marine patrol if I could shoot water balloons at NWZ violators to make them slow. “Nope, it would be considered assault. Long stream squirt gun? Nope! Paintballs? Nope! Potatoes from a potato gun? NOTHING!”

It was fun to think about anyway!

Old 07-07-2022, 08:26 AM   #83
Garcia

Quote:
A long time ago I asked marine patrol if I could shoot water balloons at NWZ violators to make them slow. “Nope, it would be considered assault. Long stream squirt gun? Nope! Paintballs? Nope! Potatoes from a potato gun? NOTHING!”

I was going through the NWZ between Bear and Pine the other day and saw a jet ski go though without even slowing down. I told my daughter I was going to flag them down and ask them if they knew it was a NWZ or if they chose to ignore it (there were numerous boats in the NWZ going slow). She was mortified I would even think of doing so I opted to prevent her the embarrassment. Still, though, I often wonder, do people not care or are they unaware?
Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #84
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
I was going through the NWZ between Bear and Pine the other day and saw a jet ski go though without even slowing down. I told my daughter I was going to flag them down and ask them if they knew it was a NWZ or if they chose to ignore it (there were numerous boats in the NWZ going slow). She was mortified I would even think of doing so I opted to prevent her the embarrassment. Still, though, I often wonder, do people not care or are they unaware?
I think care and awareness are intertwined.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #85
Newbiesaukee

Quote:

“Assault with a breadly weapon” is the correct charge.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (07-09-2022), steve-on-mark (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #86
WinnisquamZ

Sleuth mode is a requirement of retaliation

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #87
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
“Assault with a breadly weapon” is the correct charge.
Newbie never disappoints. Bravo, friend!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 06:07 PM   #88
tis

Quote:

Darn. They're no fun.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:32 AM   #89
XCR-700

First time this season by Glendale, ok this is not good!

Coming from the west you cant tell if the no wake zone is just between the marker and land, or the space between the islands.

And coming from the east, you dont even see the marker until you have already passed in front of the marine patrol facility.

Is there a map on this new no wake zone that I missed???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Flyfisha (07-11-2022), I.C.Isles (07-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 12:16 PM   #90
garysanfran

OK...So, you can't shoot a potato gun or throw a sandwich at the approaching violator because that is an assault. When would it be come a defensive action?
Old 07-09-2022, 12:49 PM   #91
John Mercier

If they pull a gun... and start shooting at you.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:44 AM   #92
thinkxingu

Quote:
Technically, they don't need to start shooting. The expansion of the "Stand Your Ground" law in NH just over a year ago added protection for people in vehicles "if they reasonably believe that that person is ABOUT to use deadly force against themselves or someone else."

That being said, it's sad to think that any "rage" incident in a car or boat or go-kart or whatever would get to that point.

https://www.concordmonitor.com/New-H...using-39074803

Old 07-10-2022, 01:05 PM   #93
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Technically, they don't need to start shooting. The expansion of the "Stand Your Ground" law in NH just over a year ago added protection for people in vehicles "if they reasonably believe that that person is ABOUT to use deadly force against themselves or someone else."

That being said, it's sad to think that any "rage" incident in a car or boat or go-kart or whatever would get to that point.

https://www.concordmonitor.com/New-H...using-39074803

If you fire first... the witness argument could be that they were trying to return fire to ''stand their ground''.

I was told that a snowmobiler could ''stand their ground'' on my land... which is not what the old statute stated in that they must stop and obey the landowners.
So now... no more trails.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:55 PM   #94
Descant

Quote:
I rarely go through the area between Lockes and Pig, and I haven't bought a new chart yet. Nevertheless, it is known to you, and you are free to slow to displacement speeds well before/after the NWZ area.