Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 11:21 AM   #1
Tyler

Default Farm Island Update

Dear Members of the Belknap Community:

With Opening Day less than 48 hours away, we write this afternoon with positive news to share with you following our May 17th communication regarding dynamics with our neighbor, Mr. Owen, on Farm Island. Earlier this week, in response to our legal filings, the Carroll County Superior Court issued an Order imposing significant geographic restrictions on Randy Owen’s movements in the Town of Tuftonboro, where Camp Belknap is located.

Per the Court’s order, “Randy L. Owen is enjoined from being present on Farm Island from June 26, 2022 through September 11, 2022. He is enjoined from being within a one-mile radius of Camp Belknap property, including the main camp at Chase Point Road, Farm Island or Melvin Island, by boat or by land.”

We had planned for this potential outcome, and now we have determined, in consultation with the Board of Trustees, that our use of our land on Farm Island may resume this summer. As always, camper excursions or overnights to Farm Island and our wholly-owned Melvin Island (“Little Huck”) will be supervised by multiple members of our staff.

We thank you for your support and encouragement through this process. We recognize this update may raise questions, and we welcome calls at any time. Please know that our number one priority, camper safety, guides each and every decision we make.

In closing, please know our staff eagerly awaits the arrival of your boys at Belknap! We are excited and ready to provide another amazing experience under the pines - a summer where we are unplugged, anchored in the present, and having growth experiences that will stay with us for a lifetime.

Timi-Hi and Seek the Joy,

Seth & Stephanie Kassels, Co-Executive Directors
Tom Wintner, Chair of the Board of Trustees
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Grant (06-29-2022), mhtranger (06-25-2022), Pricestavern (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 06:39 AM   #2
knowit

Well that's one way to keep Mr Crazy away. Good job. Now, what about those seaplanes?
Old 06-26-2022, 08:24 AM   #3
marinewife

Tuftonboro has a hearing/ meeting set for July 7 at the school @ 7 pm for public comments on the seaplane business across the street from the 19 Mile Bay store.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:40 AM   #4
The Real BigGuy

Actually, it is the state that is holding the hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 06-26-2022, 11:49 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Thread Drift

Is this thread about Farm Island or the seaplane base??
Old 06-26-2022, 12:07 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Tyler, are you saying that Mr. Owen cannot use his property on Farm Island all summer? I had no idea that a court had the power to tell a homeowner that they can't use their home.. Wow.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:06 PM   #7
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Tyler, are you saying that Mr. Owen cannot use his property on Farm Island all summer? I had no idea that a court had the power to tell a homeowner that they can't use their home.. Wow.
That what it sure sounds like tis….sounds like a restraining order. Something serious had to occur for a judge to make that kind of ruling. Having had dealings with the individual noted, it doesn’t surprise me…

Dan
Old 06-26-2022, 01:07 PM   #8
Tyler

Quote:
Tis, what I posted is from the camp directors not from me. But that is the way I read it, he cannot be at his property during those dates. This stemmed from alleged threats he made to the camp directors and was arrested for those alleged threats and possible slander earlier this year.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:10 PM   #9
Fritoman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Is this thread about Farm Island or the seaplane base??
LOL, it's about anything that anyone can stir up just to be miserable about. Happens all the time. Just amazes me! If someone can stir a pot on here about something they will. They don't care if they change the channel or not, just as long as a bee's hive is stirred. But, Dan you knew that didn't you?
Old 06-26-2022, 03:17 PM   #10
WinnisquamZ

It only “stirs the pot” as you say if one reacts to other statements. Just let it go

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 06-26-2022, 04:29 PM   #11
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritoman View Post
LOL, it's about anything that anyone can stir up just to be miserable about. Happens all the time. Just amazes me! If someone can stir a pot on here about something they will. They don't care if they change the channel or not, just as long as a bee's hive is stirred. But, Dan you knew that didn't you?
This is quite comical I would say. You joined in May ‘22. Dan took an extended vacation from the forum from posting for about a year I’d guess but you have a bone to pick with his prior comments…….so what username were you before lol.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:56 PM   #12
Mr. V

Quote:
Oh yeah.

If a court issues an anti-harassment restraining order it most certainly can and will prevent someone from reentering their home.

This sort of order is common in newly filed divorce cases but not as common with neighbor disputes such as we have here.

Enemies of Mr. Owen can only hope he violates the restraining order as multiple violations can often lead to criminal conviction and incarceration, depending on the type of restraining order in effect.

Point is: Mr. Owen better heed it, harsh and draconian though it may seem; then again he may choose to appeal it and seek its dismissal.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #13
Fritoman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
This is quite comical I would say. You joined in May ‘22. Dan took an extended vacation from the forum from posting for about a year I’d guess but you have a bone to pick with his prior comments…….so what username were you before lol.
Bone? Nope, Just know he knows how things work on here. Just like you, trying to bait a bad conversation. Shame on you. Once again, this is about "Farm Island ".
Old 06-26-2022, 05:38 PM   #14
tis

Quote:
That what it sure sounds like tis….sounds like a restraining order. Something serious had to occur for a judge to make that kind of ruling. Having had dealings with the individual noted, it doesn’t surprise me…

Dan
It sure must have been serious to make that kind of ruling!! It does sound like a restraining order, however, I still don't see how a court can keep you away from you own house/land. Think of the taxes he must pay and they are telling him he can't use his property??? Wow! I hope Tyler gives us more details.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:49 PM   #15
DEJ

The following is from the camp directors back in May of this year, should help explain what is and has been going on.

Quote:
In June 2021, during staff training week before camp opened, Randy Owen left a threatening voicemail message at Belknap accusing our staff members of trespassing on his side of the island. After a thorough investigation, the Tuftonboro police determined that none of our leaders trespassed on Randy Owen’s land, and instead, charged him with criminal harassment based on the content of his voicemail message on the Camp Belknap answering machine.

Randy Owen was arrested, arraigned and released on bail with conditions to avoid further contact with Belknap. His criminal trial is currently scheduled for August 2022. Given our complete closure of Farm Island during the 2021 Camp season and the active ongoing criminal investigation, we did not communicate the particulars of the criminal harassment matter until now. Because a definitive trial date was set, and the matter is progressing, we want to provide you with these details to explain why we will not be using our property on Farm Island again this summer.

Additionally, for more than a year and continuing to the present, Randy Owen engaged in a libel and slander campaign against Camp Belknap and our co-Executive Directors Seth and Stephanie Kassels. In response, we just filed a civil defamation lawsuit against him in the Carroll County Superior Court in New Hampshire. In short, Randy Owen’s false and defamatory written and oral representations – which he repeatedly publicly stated, posted online, or shared by email with our neighbors, local and state political and regulatory officials, the press, and members of the public – are unacceptable and must be stopped.
We thought long and hard before resorting to legal action, but believe we were left with no choice in order to manage this most challenging situation. As always, our goals are to protect the safety and security of the campers, staff, and Camp – now and in the future – and to help secure and preserve the Belknap experience we all know and cherish.

At this time, we do not plan to use Farm Island for any Camp activities during the 2022 season. While we hope that we will soon be able to resume using Farm Island for overnights, in the short term we remain focused on continuing to resolve these matters safely and securely.

If you have any questions or want to discuss any aspects of this matter, please reach out directly to Seth Kassels or Tom Wintner.

Sincerely,

Seth & Stephanie Kassels Co-Executive Directors
Tom Wintner, Chair of the Board of Trustees
Copyright © 2022 Camp Belknap, All rights reserved.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:51 PM   #16
Sue Doe-Nym

Default You might think about exiting….

Quote:
Bone? Nope, Just know he knows how things work on here. Just like you, trying to bait a bad conversation. Shame on you. Once again, this is about "Farm Island ".
Frito, the members of this forum are basically very helpful individuals, and so snarky troublemakers don’t fit in here. If that is your aim, you might want to find a different forum. There has been a lot of helpful information given here, and I hope that will continue. If you want to be a positive contributor, great…otherwise please take a hike.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:53 PM   #17
FlyingScot

Quote:
It sure must have been serious to make that kind of ruling!! It does sound like a restraining order, however, I still don't see how a court can keep you away from you own house/land. Think of the taxes he must pay and they are telling him he can't use his property??? Wow! I hope Tyler gives us more details.
I am also eager for more details. To your question on the court keeping you from your house/land--my read is that they are keeping him one mile from camp (which happens includes his land). To me, this looks similar to an abusive/violent husband being prevented from going near his wife (at their house) after threatening her. Sadly, we've all read examples of this.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:56 PM   #18
SAB1

Quote:
Funny. Go back and reread your post. You’re the one steering the conversation away from Farm Island and stirring the pot with Dan…..
Old 06-26-2022, 08:52 PM   #19
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Timi Hi, Belknappers. Enjoy the summer boys. One of my fellow campers now has a grandson who started his first year as a camp counselor this week.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Grant (06-29-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 08:52 PM   #20
Force5

Quote:
I believe it is his nephew Cody Owen who is the actual owner. Farm Island Acres LLC.
The Following User Says Thank You to Force5 For This Useful Post:
tis (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 06:56 AM   #21
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I am also eager for more details. To your question on the court keeping you from your house/land--my read is that they are keeping him one mile from camp (which happens includes his land). To me, this looks similar to an abusive/violent husband being prevented from going near his wife (at their house) after threatening her. Sadly, we've all read examples of this.
Yes, that is exactly what it sounds like. Except the "wife" isn't living in the house.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:18 AM   #22
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

I'm surprised we haven't heard from Randy Owen (or one of his other usernames) yet. He was always so quick to blather on when news was released before.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2022, 07:55 AM   #23
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I'm surprised we haven't heard from Randy Owen (or one of his other usernames) yet. He was always so quick to blather on when news was released before.

With what was said above, I don't think it would be in Randy's best interest for him to be making any public statements at this point... It appears he has gotten himself in enough hot water...
Old 06-27-2022, 07:59 AM   #24
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
With what was said above, I don't think it would be in Randy's best interest for him to be making any public statements at this point... It appears he has gotten himself in enough hot water...
Absolutely—I was always surprised by how much he said here. I wonder if his posts were used in this process...

Old 06-27-2022, 08:02 AM   #25
LIforrelaxin

As for the the courts having the power to tell someone they can't use their property, they most certainly can.....I have seen it happen in other situations.

As for who owns Farm Island, I do believe it is or was actually Randy, given the legal entanglements there may have been some efforts to change that... But at the end of the day, I have found a very active listing for the 1 Farm Island, despite Randy's refusal in another thread that it wasn't true...

Looking at the pictures of the listing they include pictures of improvements that where made once the Owen, family bought the property...

All in all this is a very sad situation....
Old 06-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #26
winni83

The Tuftonboro assessor data shows 1 Farm Island as being owned by Farm Island Acres, LLC and it is shown as having 13.3 acres, the same acerage shown in the listing. The NH Secretary of State's office shows the Manager of Farm Island Acres, LLC as Cody Owen.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:38 AM   #27
codeman671

There is an article in the Union Leader on May 22nd about the suit filed by the YMCA. I don't have a subscription, maybe someone else can post it.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0ge...Wzk_5f5wRb.AM-

It looks like he was also arrested in Dec 2019 for driving without an interlock installed. What a prize...
Old 06-27-2022, 12:34 PM   #28
Fritoman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Funny. Go back and reread your post. You’re the one steering the conversation away from Farm Island and stirring the pot with Dan…..
You must be the one with a grudge against Dan, Not I !! I met Dan a few years Back while Ice Fishing out by Welch. Nice guy, good conversation. Just saying. Even Dan wanted it to go back to the Op's Thread.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:47 PM   #29
tis

Quote:
As for the the courts having the power to tell someone they can't use their property, they most certainly can.....I have seen it happen in other situations.

All in all this is a very sad situation....
Could you elaborate on the situation you have seen that didn't allow people to use their own home? I find this extreme and am sure it will be challenged. I have followed this on here and also on the Tuftonboro Forums. I have watched the two sides fight, but there must be something that happened that we don't know about .
Old 06-27-2022, 03:03 PM   #30
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Could you elaborate on the situation you have seen that didn't allow people to use their own home? I find this extreme and am sure it will be challenged. I have followed this on here and also on the Tuftonboro Forums. I have watched the two sides fight, but there must be something that happened that we don't know about .
There are situations, usually involving protective orders, that the court will order one person, usually the husband or wife, out of the house.

Your name may be on the deed but the court can keep you away from your own property.

In certain situations, people can be charged with trespassing or even burglarizing their own property. The issue most often comes up in cases involving domestic violence or during landlord-tenant disputes. Landlords cannot enter their own property that is rented to a tenant except in the case of emergency, like a water leak or fire.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:14 PM   #31
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
What I have seen in the past, is similar to what is going on here..I can't remember the exact name of the order, but is basically done in cases of harassment, prior to a day in court.....What it instructs the police to do is arrest the defendant, if the plaintiff places additional calls to the police department for continued harassment.

Think of it as a Restraining order on drugs.... The police no longer have a choice, to talk to the parties, and asked the defendant to simply leave... if they are called and showup, and the defendant is in the area, be it on their own property on not, they are to be arrested....

Now to be sure, beyond normal harassment the plaintiff has to show that there is a credible sense of endangerment, in the situation to get something like this put in place.... Additionally, this drives a court date in front of a judge which is not optional, unlike a restraining order, which once served only comes back to court, if the defendant wishes to challenge it.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:09 PM   #32
tis

Quote:
What I have seen in the past, is similar to what is going on here..I can't remember the exact name of the order, but is basically done in cases of harassment, prior to a day in court.....What it instructs the police to do is arrest the defendant, if the plaintiff places additional calls to the police department for continued harassment.

Think of it as a Restraining order on drugs.... The police no longer have a choice, to talk to the parties, and asked the defendant to simply leave... if they are called and showup, and the defendant is in the area, be it on their own property on not, they are to be arrested....

Now to be sure, beyond normal harassment the plaintiff has to show that there is a credible sense of endangerment, in the situation to get something like this put in place.... Additionally, this drives a court date in front of a judge which is not optional, unlike a restraining order, which once served only comes back to court, if the defendant wishes to challenge it.
I have to agree there needs to be "a credible sense of endangerment" above and beyond to put this in place.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:30 PM   #33
Mr. V

Quote:
I have to agree there needs to be "a credible sense of endangerment" above and beyond to put this in place.
"Harassment" does not require the infliction of "a credible sense of danger."

The statute in question:
https://law.justia.com/codes/new-ham...section-644-4/

Threats are NOT required; it's enough to annoy or alarm.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #34
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
"Harassment" does not require the infliction of "a credible sense of danger."

The statute in question:
https://law.justia.com/codes/new-ham...section-644-4/

Threats are NOT required; it's enough to annoy or alarm.
I am just saying is harassment enough to ban one from one's home? I am shocked by this. I am not taking sides, but I can't help but wonder what the real story is.

Last edited by tis; 06-28-2022 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:22 PM   #35
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
I am just saying is harassment enough to ban one from one's home? I am shocked by this. I am taking sides, but I can't help but wonder what the real story is.
As I read the thread, it isn't Randy Owen's home. Regardless, the judge can do what he feels is appropriate for safety.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 07:15 AM   #36
fatlazyless

Default ...... build a Farm Island fence!

A good fence makes a good neighbor, and a fence will ease the hostility between hostile neighbors.

Recall the big fence out there on Skull Island, built to keep the natives safe from King Kong. Remember that big fence from the 1933 King Kong movie.

To keep everyone happy and at ease out on Farm Island, what's needed is a good fence. Name it the Farm Island Fence to separate the 20-acre Farm Island into eight and twelve acre sections . .....
Old 06-28-2022, 10:46 AM   #37
codeman671

Quote:
I am just saying is harassment enough to ban one from one's home? I am shocked by this. I am not taking sides, but I can't help but wonder what the real story is.
It's not his home, its owned by a relative. I find it odd that he tried to lay claim to it all along. The guy seems mentally not well...None of this should ever have occurred.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:51 AM   #38
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
It's not his home, its owned by a relative. I find it odd that he tried to lay claim to it all along. The guy seems mentally not well...None of this should ever have occurred.
I'm not positive... but I believe he WAS the owner and recently put it in Cody's name for pending legal ramifications...

Dan
codeman671 (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 11:06 AM   #39
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
I'm not positive... but I believe he WAS the owner and recently put it in Cody's name for pending legal ramifications...

Dan
Just did a little research... nothing concrete, but it would seem that Randy and his nephew bought the Farm Island property.... Randy never claimed to solely own the property... Given all the legal issues, it would not surprise me to hear, that it was transferred solely to Cody..

Additionally my research also found a statement that seem to indicate that Randy had be squabbling with Camp Belknap prior to the farm Island purchse... so it is possible they own additional property close by...
Old 06-28-2022, 11:09 AM   #40
ishoot308

Quote:
Just did a little research... nothing concrete, but it would seem that Randy and his nephew bought the Farm Island property.... Randy never claimed to solely own the property... Given all the legal issues, it would not surprise me to hear, that it was transferred solely to Cody..

Additionally my research also found a statement that seem to indicate that Randy had be squabbling with Camp Belknap prior to the farm Island purchse... so it is possible they own additional property close by...
The family has property on Cow island also….

Dan
Old 11-17-2022, 05:58 PM   #41
WinterHarborGuy

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WinterHarborGuy For This Useful Post:
coolyourjets (11-18-2022), Descant (11-18-2022), Irish mist (11-17-2022), LIforrelaxin (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 10:39 AM   #42
FlyingScot

Lesson--don't mess with Camp Belknap
Old 11-18-2022, 11:21 AM   #43
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Lesson--don't mess with Camp Belknap
The lesson is don't break the law.... The article seems to indicate criminal charges by the state "State vs. Randy Owen"...So apperently he crossed so line, and while the victim was Camp Belknap, the state moved forward with prosecution...
Old 11-18-2022, 01:34 PM   #44
FlyingScot

Quote:
The lesson is don't break the law.... The article seems to indicate criminal charges by the state "State vs. Randy Owen"...So apperently he crossed so line, and while the victim was Camp Belknap, the state moved forward with prosecution...
Sure, in a criminal case the state is the plaintiff, and they did their job by enforcing the law. But that one's obvious. What I was getting at is that sadly, despite our lofty ideals, there are two classes of people in our society. One of them is able to harness the legal system to their advantage, the other gets run over.

When was the last time you heard of someone getting thrown in jail for threats?
Old 11-18-2022, 01:57 PM   #45
DEJ

Quote:
Unfortunately this is not the first time Mr. Owen has been charged with threatening. If you can get ahold of the police report which will take some doing on your part it will become very obvious why.

Last edited by DEJ; 11-18-2022 at 02:32 PM. Reason: clarification
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 12:46 PM   #46
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Sure, in a criminal case the state is the plaintiff, and they did their job by enforcing the law. But that one's obvious. What I was getting at is that sadly, despite our lofty ideals, there are two classes of people in our society. One of them is able to harness the legal system to their advantage, the other gets run over.

Unfortunately we don't have enough details to fully understand what has transpired here.

What I do know is that most judges aren't going to put someone in jail, without a solid reason.

I also know that he tension between Mr. Owen, and Camp Belknap has been escalating, since the Owen family took ownership of the Island. Somewhere along the way I am sure laws have been broken, and now a price is being paid, because there was sufficient evidence for the state to step in and file criminal charges.... It is very possible the Camp Belknap has had to deal with the state as well, just not at the same criminal level... we simply just don't know...

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 11-22-2022 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:25 PM   #47
Mr. V

Quote:
Such a thing is not really uncommon.

I represented a woman who was threatened by her ex; not only was he charged, but we successfully stopped him from seeing his children because of it.

"Open mouth, expect consequences."
Randy Owen (12-22-2023)
Closed Thread