Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Elizabeth

Default Lake Winnisquam and Newfound Lake

We have a beautiful cottage and dock on Meredith Bay. However, we've decided we need a larger home to accommodate our large extended family. We can't afford a larger home on Lake Winnipesaukee, so we're considering moving to a smaller lake such as Lake Winnisquam or Newfound Lake. I know this is the Winnipesaukee forum, but can anyone provide any information about Winnisquam or Newfound lakes with regards to boating, water quality, marinas and real estate?
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
dave603

I trailer our boat to both lakes, so I don't know much about the real estate, except we did look around Newfound, and you can find some affordable places, though maybe not on the water. I also noted on Newfound, there are very few docks, most have moorings, not sure if they are restricted on the lake. Not much open for real estate around winnisquam, at least not right on the water that's affordable, but there are some building lots on the market recently.
The water is much cleaner on Newfound than on Winnisquam. also seems to be less boat traffic, but just as much MP on both lakes. But no speed limits either.

Only one place to tied up for meals on Newfound, and there you mostly have to beach the boat, no dock space. winnisquam only has two places to tie up to to eat, one is only a pizza/sub place, the other is the lobster pound right next to it, both are at the bridge.

As for scenery, it's handsdown Newfound Lake, is much better and less partying on the sandbar there, which is huge, so your not on top of anyone if you don't want to be. Not the same on winnisquam, were they have even had fist fights break out on the sandbar near the bridge. The usual, too much sun, too much booze, and someone looks at someone else's Girlfriend............

hope this helps, good luck.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
Elizabeth (06-19-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Winnilifer

Default Winnisquam

We grew up on Winnipesaukee in Gilford and 3 years ago bought on Winnisquam in Laconia on the Meredith line. Our location is close to everything and that was a big factor for us.

The water clarity is good in the wider areas of Winnisquam but certainly not like the open water areas of Winnipesaukee, I know the water clarity is very good in Newfound as I've fished there many times.

Boating on Winnisquam is certainly quieter (no Yachts or cabin cruisers) at 11 miles it is plenty big, but we miss the town docks, restaurants, anchoring areas and many islands of Winnip. Saturday and Sunday it gets busy on Winnisquam but certainly nothing like Winnip.

There are only 2 Marinas on the lake and Winnisquam Marine has the ONLY gas on the lake. They really have a monopoly on boating here.

When we were looking at the big lake vs Winnisquam we quickly found out that prices seemed to be roughly 2/3 the cost of a comparable home ON Winnipesaukee. But properties seemed to go very fast once on the market if they had desirable location on Winnisquam. Winnisquam has a nice variety of cottages, newer homes, some very nice homes and only a few McMansions.

All in all we have been very happy on the smaller lake but we do miss our old haunts by water.

Good luck with your search
Winnilifer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnilifer For This Useful Post:
Elizabeth (06-19-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
feb

Default Thumbs Up to Winnisquam

I've had a place on Winnisquam for 15 years now and absolutely love it. I was born in Laconia so I was familiar with all of the lakes and chose Winnisquam for its quietness and somewhat "On Golden Pond" atmosphere.

Yes, the sandbar, noted above, is a nut house. In my 20's I loved that. In my 40's I love just watching it. If you're young and rowdy there is a place for you there. If you're any age and like to people watch there is plenty to look at. But its only 1 acre of the 4200 acres available.

I was surprised to read the comment on Winnipesaukee being cleaner. Maybe it is, haven't been "on" Winnipesaukee in years. But I do know on a sunny day, I can easily see 15' down from my raft to my anchor. Its by no means dirty or unclear like a pond.

In my opinion there are different "sections" of Winnisquam. In some locations the houses are spread out and it seems more relaxed. In others, they are right on top of each other, like oceanfront, and to me, seems less relaxing.

What you get is a quieter lake (weekends are still very busy). What you give up is the ability to do anything by boat (restaurants, arcades, site seeing). Its truly a compromise. I will say that after 15 years the lake is becoming a little small, I'm getting a little bored of boating around the same houses, going the same routes. But waking up with coffee and loons puts it back into perspective.

Watch out for the tax rates, they vary quite a bit among the different towns.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to feb For This Useful Post:
Elizabeth (06-19-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
Dad sold the C * C

Default I like both

I had the luck growing up to spend a lot of time on Winnisquam and Newfound lake, and have been back too both in recent years. The other poster’s are correct on water quality and boat traffic. One thing about Newfound is the main part of the lake is very open and the winds come off the mountains and can make it quite rough; 2 -3+ foot swells. I think this is the reason for more moorings and that much of the shore is shallow entry and rocky. I don’t have facts, but there seem to be less true “Waterfront” homes on Newfound, at least that was my observation during my house search. Not sure on the marina status as the one I used on the north end is now a nature preserve.

Since Winnisquam is long and thin you can almost always go out in the boat. My understanding is the Family Tree Restaurant has more slips this year and has opened a bar; they are in the cove with Jay’s Marina. One reason we just bought on Winnisquam is that we wanted the “smaller lake” feel and closer to MA. It is getting harder to find an “un-touched camp”, but it sounds like you are looking for something bigger. We feel lucky with the property we found and hope to enjoy it for many years to come. ….And yes, the taxes vary between towns.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dad sold the C * C For This Useful Post:
Elizabeth (06-19-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
LadyJane

I believe the water quality of Newfound is the best.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
jogator1

Default Lake Waukewan

You may want to give Lake Waukewan a look. Although it doesn't come close to comparing in size to the above mentioned lakes it has it's advantages. It is the town water supply so it's monitored regularly. You are in walking distance to Winni with easy boating access if you choose to boat on Winni. We keep a boat at Meredith Marina. Waukewan is a great family lake and fantastic for water sports and fishing. You can probably get more for your money and still enjoy Meredith/Winni.
jogator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jogator1 For This Useful Post:
Elizabeth (06-19-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Lakes Region

All the lakes in this region has pros and cons. Depends on what you are looking for! I maintain a day cruiser on Winnipesaukee. I have seadoos on Winnisquam. The crafts complement the lakes very well. I don't enjoy boating on Winnipesaukee on weekends in season because it is a total zoo! I prefer to boat on Winnisquam. I move from Winnipesaukee to Winnisquam because of taxes. Tax Valuation is a lot lower.
For fishing, my favorite is Waukewan, nice quiet atmosphere with plenty of fish. For scenery, Squam has it hands down, if you can stand being snubbed by the Squam Lake Association.
As for sandbars, Winnisquam, like Braun Bay, can get a little rowdy on weekends. I've seen Newfound get a bit much on holiday weekends but more spread out.
'Whatever floats your boat!'
Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
polarisman14

It seems as if real estate on both newfound and winnisquam is pretty affordable especially when you compare similar properties with what's available on the big lake. I personally like Winnisquam more as it is a much larger lake (Almost double the acreage if I remember correctly) and is very, very easy to navigate. In just about all areas, staying to the center of the lake is safe. There are plenty of nice little areas to drop anchor for watersports and a handful of different towns that have land on Winnisquam so tax valuation and available properties will differ.

Time for a shameless plug...My wife is a real estate agent and we're located in Gilmanton, southern area of the lakes region so if you don't yet have an agent and are interested please feel free to message me on here for her contact information.

Whatever you end up with, I'm sure you'll enjoy it...Lakefront property is awesome no matter where it is.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
dave603

Default Lake sizes

Newfound Lake is 4106 acres 6 miles long by 2.4 wide
Winnisquam is 4264 acres. 10 miles long by 1.5 wide

Both have a couple of spots that are no wake areas.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:37 AM   #11
aquabones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
We have a beautiful cottage and dock on Meredith Bay. However, we've decided we need a larger home to accommodate our large extended family. We can't afford a larger home on Lake Winnipesaukee, so we're considering moving to a smaller lake such as Lake Winnisquam or Newfound Lake. I know this is the Winnipesaukee forum, but can anyone provide any information about Winnisquam or Newfound lakes with regards to boating, water quality, marinas and real estate?
Have you considered Merrymeeting Lake. We went there for 15 years and it was great when our kids were little. Safe to waterski, the water quality is excellent, and the home prices are less than Winnipesaukee.
aquabones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:10 AM   #12
aquabones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Have you considered Merrymeeting Lake? We went there for 15 years and it was great when our kids were little. Safe to waterski, the water quality is excellent, and the home prices are less than Winnipesaukee.
aquabones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #13
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Newfound Lake Webpage http://www.newfoundlake.org/

Newfound Lake Webcam http://www.newfoundlakeweather.com/

Newfound Lake - Yankee Magazine Article http://www.yankeemagazine.com/articl...e/newfoundlake

Newfound Lake on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NewfoundLake

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (06-17-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
Elizabeth

Default Thank you!

Thanks so much for all your responses. You gave me some many things to think about.

Lake Winnipesaukee has the Mount Washington, Sophie C and Doris E to go on the lake. Does Winnisquam or Newfoundlake have any boats that will take the public for a ride. I've never actually seen either lake from the water.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #15
goldengirl

Default Things change

After reading all the comments on Winnisquam and Newfound Lake - I would take your time in making the move. Nothing compares to Winnipesaukee and although you may be cramped at times when everyone visits - it seems you'd be giving up a lot to relocate to either of those lakes. Family activity changes as well and what might seem like a lot of guests now can change quickly as kids grow and find other interests ect. Just my thought and experience. Good luck!
goldengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #16
feb

Default No Public Cruises

There are no cruise boats on Winnisquam like on Winni. It just isn't big enough and there isn't much to see except shoreline and only a couple houses on a couple of islands. There is the occasional ice cream pontoon boat. Winnisquam is more like a very wide river. It runs north and south, the east to west parts are not very wide.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #17
Dad sold the C * C

I don't know of tour boats on either lake. You can rent boats at both lakes and they are easy to navigate. ( turn before you hit the shoreline and follow the same rules with islands, kayaks, and moose).
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
BroadHopper

Default Water sports

If you are into watersports, Winnisquam and Newfound are excellent choices. Too crowded on Winnipesaukee to enjoy the sports.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #19
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
If you are into watersports, Winnisquam and Newfound are excellent choices. Too crowded on Winnipesaukee to enjoy the sports.
crowded on winni? I've been here since '97 (smith pt on long isl) and during the whole summer, it's "crowded" maybe 15 days. during the week it's pretty dead for the most part
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #20
NewfoundLife

Having owned in Winni, and currently on Newfound, I can tell you that you'll get more bang for your buck by way of size and value on Winni. Although, in my opinion Newfound is a more desirable lake to own on because of the water quality and the absence of 40' offshore boats and cabin cruisers. Most of the craft operating on the water are owners and aren't trailering their boats on the weekend. To me, it seems to bring a level of accountability, respect, and stewardship to the area that I didn't find on Winni. Real estate on the big lake is more plentiful and you'll find that you can get into a waterfront property at a reasonable price. On Newfound, anything directly on the water that doesn't require crossing a street is gonna start at $400k, and it's going to be a cabin with a holding tank, minimal shoreline, a very small beach (if any at all), and a very small lot. There are some co-ops, associations, an cabin communities that will cost less, but for their price you could own independently on Winni. I mention this because you stated that Winni may be above your price range. I assure you that Newfound is more expensive for what you get. I'm not as familiar with Winnisquam.
NewfoundLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #21
RLW

Smile

NewfoundLife, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for joining in.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #22
jazzman

If you're up for the island lifestyle, it's really hard to beat the values on Winni islands. 300k can get you a decent house and if you pick the right place, boat traffic is quite reasonable. I wouldn't trade it for anything (short of St johns).
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
crowded on winni? I've been here since '97 (smith pt on long isl) and during the whole summer, it's "crowded" maybe 15 days. during the week it's pretty dead for the most part
Obviously have not been on the big lake during the 70's. That was the best decade ever when ski boats and woodies rule!

Come see our waterski exhibit at the Laconia Public Library during the month of August. August 4 there will be a talk at the Winnipesaukee museum. there will be a gathering of ski boats August 10.

We are making a come back on waterski racing. There will be a fun race July 26.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 06-26-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Content
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #24
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
My kids wakeboard and/or waterski every Saturday and Sunday morning, June through September. Last week we pulled one son at 7 p.m. on Sunday night, as we often do during the summer.

All through the 80's and 90's my husband and I waterskied every Saturday and Sunday morning during the summer. We still enjoy an occasional pull and it's always on a weekend morning or evening.

We are here year 'round from 7 pm on Friday night through 8 am on Monday morning. We frequently steal a day or an evening during the week. After ice-out we only travel by boat when we're in Moultonborough.

Winnipesaukee is crowded if you trailer your boat to it, and are on the lake from noon to 3 pm on Saturdays and Sundays during July and August. Other than that it's heaven on earth.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #25
KarenM

Default Lake water quality

Here is a helpful resource regarding the quality of NH lakes

http://des.nh.gov/organization/divis...ic_summary.htm

Unfortunately, it doesn't include information about restaurants and moron boaters! ;-)
KarenM is offline   Reply With Quote