Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
Dad sold the C * C

Default Waterfront but no boat

An introduction and a question:

I’m just curious how many people own waterfront, but do not own a power boat? Or, they do, but it doesn’t make it into the water some years.

The past few years we have Rented a house on Winnisquam and rented a boat for a few days each year ( I was really surprised what you can get now if you have a boat license and a credit card ). We just purchased a Waterfront camp and not sure on the boat question right away. Buy or Rent for a while. First $$, but I also don’t know what we want yet; Fiberglass or a large Tri-toon, we have rented both. ( The dogs vote for the pontoon ).

I have a little boat history, here’s the short version of a very long story:
In the 60’s my Parents kept a 17’ Wooden Chris Craft ski boat in the boathouse at Slocum’s Marina (now Winnisquam Marine); we mostly day-tripped with an extended rental every year. Then moved to the Big lake for a few years, then Parent’s divorce and the boat disappeared for a while. My Dad and I brought it back to life in ’81, but it never had a “home”; it was trailered around NH and MA. Eventually my Dad rented a house on a small lake in central MA and it was happy to stay in the water….. then one day in ‘95 I got a phone call saying “ I sold the Chris Craft and bought a 40’ bayliner and heading to FLA” umm… I had a lot invested in the boat also… Oh well I was getting married and starting a new life.

Hence, my user name.
Unfortunately my Dad is gone, so he cannot see that we were able to fulfill one of his dreams… our own slice of Heaven on the water.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
Dave R

One of my best friends has a really nice lake house and no power boat. His sailboat goes in the water every three years or so. He claims to dislike "stinkpots" (power boats) but he never misses and opportunity to ride on or behind mine.

If you will be paying someone to maintain a boat and you are only going to use it a few times a year, a rental makes tons of sense. Even if you get a fee boat the maintenance, insurance and registration will cost a substantial amount of money. That said, I cannot imagine having a lake house and not having a power boat...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
CateP

Default Boat Auction

You may want to check out the NH Boat Museum boat auction in July. If you are dreaming of owning a classic, this is may be the place to get one. At least check it out to see many classic boats for sale. Some are at great prices. Lots of fun to watch too.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
Dad sold the C * C (04-02-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Dad sold the C * C

Thank you CateP, I do love to go look at them, but after spending the first 30+ years of my life working in, under and around a beautiful wooden boat, I'm not in a big hurry to get another one. They are awesome to drive, but a lot of time, both mechanically and exterior finish.

That said; a box showed up at my house last week with a wooden kayak kit. I'll put that together and go from there
Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
MeredithMan

Default Not many....

....just casual observation, not hard data, but vast majority of waterfront places have a powerboat of some type....certainly everyone in my stretch of the lake, including me.

Regarding rent vs. buy, I am a strong believer in buying a quality USED boat. New boats are outrageously expensive. Many people jump in wallet first, and then get a year or two or three into it and say, "what the heck did I do?". Or, their lifestyle changes, kids/grandkids move away, spouse dies, etc. Bottom line, there are a "boatload", (excuse the pun), of quality used boats around the lake. Align yourself with one of the well-known marinas and they will help you find the right used boat. Worked for me.

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
SAB1

I have waterfront. Bought a boat a few years before the house. Used to trailer up to the lake most every weekend and use the boat a ton (gas was much cheaper too!) Bought a house on 2002. Since then boat usage has plummented. Many reasons why.....to many other things to do (home maintenance)......can park my butt in chair on the dock now...... gas isnt cheap.......from July 4th - Labor day - weekend boating is no joy unless your up with the sun..............kids arent around as much.....fishing isnt what it used to be..........

I probably am in the minority with these thoughts but if my boat ever died I think I could be just s happy with a smaller aluminum boat and 15-25hsp 4 stroke.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad sold the C * C View Post
Thank you CateP, I do love to go look at them, but after spending the first 30+ years of my life working in, under and around a beautiful wooden boat, I'm not in a big hurry to get another one. They are awesome to drive, but a lot of time, both mechanically and exterior finish.

That said; a box showed up at my house last week with a wooden kayak kit. I'll put that together and go from there
You might want to check it out. There are lots of non-wooden boats at the Boat Museum auction. Power boats and sail. Last year we got a classic Cape Dory Typhoon, will sails and engine (running) for $250.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Lakemamma

Fist let me say congrats on buying a house up here.

We bought our lake house 5 years ago. And for the fist few years I was happy not having a boat as we had so many things to do. We did have a jetski so I was happy with that and bringing friends out. But it is hard when you have a big family and a dog they would have to wait turns. But my husband sure was not happy with that he missed boating so we will be boating again this year. I agree with there is lots of great deals on used boat.

Goo luck on your decision!
Lakemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
wifi

I've lived here in the same place on the lake for most of my life. I can't afford a boat, but I do rent my docks out
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
Fish-E

Let's see here:
You have a waterfront with no boat.
I have a boat and no waterfront.

I think I have a solution.
Fish-E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fish-E For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-02-2014), SteveA (04-04-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
Gatto Nero

Although I would agree that now that we have a place on the water we use the boat far less than we did when we were in beach community, I can't imagine living here without one. We do less joy riding and rafting but we use it a lot for getting around. I use it instead of the car to go to the hardware or grocery store or out to dinner or sometimes just lollygagging.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
Dad sold the C * C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-E View Post
Let's see here:
You have a waterfront with no boat.
I have a boat and no waterfront.

I think I have a solution.
That's what the forum is for!

My manager asked the same thing, as he but he's allergic to dogs

I want to Thank everyone for their input, especially looking for a Used boat.
I still have some H2O toys, windsurfer, canoe and a future Kayak and of course... floaty toys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dad sold the C * C For This Useful Post:
Fish-E (04-03-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
Although I would agree that now that we have a place on the water we use the boat far less than we did when we were in beach community, I can't imagine living here without one. We do less joy riding and rafting but we use it a lot for getting around. I use it instead of the car to go to the hardware or grocery store or out to dinner or sometimes just lollygagging.
Having an open opportunity to lollygag should not be taken lightly! In fact, it should always be the first reason for ever buying (or bringing up the idea of buying) a single use "mode of transportation".

Just keep that part to yourself, wives just don't seem to understand lollygagging, or gallivanting for that matter!
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
SunsetPointWentworth

It's a common thing to see a waterfront home with a ski boat, a pontoon boat and two or three jet ski's. It's rare to see a place without a power boat. There's your next decision How many boats do you get..
SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SunsetPointWentworth For This Useful Post:
Dad sold the C * C (04-02-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #15
Just Sold

Maybe you do not want to spend a lot of $$$ on a boat but it could be nice to have when you do want to take a cruise. Look around at the local boat dealers. You can always find something for under 7K. Like some of these at Winnisquam Marine. http://www.winnisquammarine.com/?page_id=2253# There must be others out there too at other dealers.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #16
Dad sold the C * C

I look at Winnisquam Marina's page couple times a week and I hope to stop by the show this weekend. I sort of.... Kind of... Made a commitment to my better half that if we bought the house I would rent a boat at first. Now I'm trying to replay that tape to get the EXACT wording

I know I'll want to be on the water, but I'll live. The first thing is to put in a new septic system, fortunately I got the design done before full freeze up, now just waiting until we can start digging...... So, when will the roads dry out?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default My .02

While you want some type of water toy if you own waterfront property, it doesn't have to be a boat. It all depends on your want a desires.

I have neighbors on the lake that have boats, but hardly ever use them... They are in a sense a money pit. I myself have a boat, and use it every weekend, and feel it well worth the cost...

What I will say is this, if you own on the water, it is ok to go with a smaller more affordable boat... You can pick and choose the times in which you go cruise the lake, so having to have a big boat to deal with the busy times in not a concern. And to be very honest, I always think about a bigger boat for the weekend, when I have guests, but unless you have guest often, this isn't really a big deal.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #18
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
What I will say is this, if you own on the water, it is ok to go with a smaller more affordable boat... You can pick and choose the times in which you go cruise the lake, so having to have a big boat to deal with the busy times in not a concern. And to be very honest, I always think about a bigger boat for the weekend, when I have guests, but unless you have guest often, this isn't really a big deal.
Couldn't agree more. I have a 24' runabout that I fill with gas maybe twice per season. We take it out when company comes but that's about it. I have 15' Whaler that I use constantly.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #19
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
I look at Winnisquam Marina's page couple times a week and I hope to stop by the show this weekend. I sort of.... Kind of... Made a commitment to my better half that if we bought the house I would rent a boat at first. Now I'm trying to replay that tape to get the EXACT wording

I know I'll want to be on the water, but I'll live. The first thing is to put in a new septic system, fortunately I got the design done before full freeze up, now just waiting until we can start digging...... So, when will the roads dry out?
It will be some time- the frost layer is deep. This will easily be the worst mud season in years especially given the relatively cool weather (no 70 degree days sliding in yet!)

Good luck with your decision!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #20
Descant

Thanked 1,499 Times in 976 Posts
Default Small, big, or no boat

Gatto Nero has the solution: 2 boats. Get the small one first, when you buy the bigger boat, don't trade, just keep the little one. I think most islanders have multiple boats, although some are canoes and rowboats for kids and guests. Others are very old, a benefit of fresh water boating. All winter long when non-lake acquaintances at cocktail parties comment on how much gas a boat uses, you can smile and say "We save a lot of gas by just taking the little boat (for small groups)".
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #21
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,148 Times in 895 Posts
Default Boat Use

There is a considerable difference in boat use between people who are in a marina and people who own homes on the lake. I was told by a manager at one of the larger marinas on the lake that the average waterfront homeowner puts about 50 - 60 hours per season on a boat while the average marina boat runs 100 - 120 hours per year.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #22
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Gatto Nero has the solution: 2 boats. Get the small one first, when you buy the bigger boat, don't trade, just keep the little one. I think most islanders have multiple boats, although some are canoes and rowboats for kids and guests. Others are very old, a benefit of fresh water boating. All winter long when non-lake acquaintances at cocktail parties comment on how much gas a boat uses, you can smile and say "We save a lot of gas by just taking the little boat (for small groups)".
So true, and you never know when one of your boats decides to break down!
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #23
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I used to think this, too. But several years with a small boat on Winnipesaukee has proved this to not be true. It's almost impossible to go anywhere on the weekends with a 17' powerboat. I upgraded to a 23' boat, and the difference is night and day.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #24
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
There is a considerable difference in boat use between people who are in a marina and people who own homes on the lake. I was told by a manager at one of the larger marinas on the lake that the average waterfront homeowner puts about 50 - 60 hours per season on a boat while the average marina boat runs 100 - 120 hours per year.
I would agree with this one. We've averaged ~50 hrs per season for as long as we've owned the boat.

It makes sense that those without waterfront would be on their boats more. While both groups may want to spend the whole day on the lake, the waterfront owners an easier time docking and spending time in shore, not to mention the days when they just don't go out at all when they might if it was the only option.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:44 AM   #25
Island Girl

Default Jets kiwis

I suggest jetskiis. Lots of fun and easy to manage. You will need two. Riding on back is much less fun than driving one.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #26
Grant

Quote:
An introduction and a question:

I’m just curious how many people own waterfront, but do not own a power boat? Or, they do, but it doesn’t make it into the water some years...
How about the opposite -- we're now in possession of the boat, but no waterfront. Had waterfront -- some 200+ ft of it, for 67 years -- but now it's someone else's. Let it be a lesson in what can happen when 2nd-gen siblings have joint ownership.

But I'm scheming!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #27
Dad sold the C * C

Grant, we were the benefit of one of those 2nd gen issues. Fortunately the Family still has another property, but it still stinks for them.

I thought about Jet skis, but not sure where to put the 2 Standard Poodles these guys are 55lb and don't fit on your lap.

I'm just glad the snow seems to be going; I'm tired of carrying furniture down 200' of icy hill Someone asked why I didn't wait, but I need the space in the garage to build my kayak. Please don't tell my wife that I was sanding the boat on top of the new glass table for the deck
Old 04-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #28
Water Camper

Default Boating Hours

We trailered up to the lake for many years. Used to buy a seasons launch pass from Lakeport Landing. That boat did not have an hour meter, but let me say I got my money's worth out of that launch pass.

Because of circumstances, rented a slip in the boathouse, again at Lakeport Landing. I think Paul saw me coming, like a fish on a hook. Back then we were putting 125 to 150 hours a season on the boat, plus we were year round customers, so the boat would be in in April and not out until November.

Purchased a little cottage behind Fratello's, walking distance to the slip. Hours dropped to about 100 to 125 hours.

Then purchased property on Weirs Boulevard with a little bit of lake frontage. Still keep the boat at Lakeport Landing, love the boathouse, don't tell Erica. Still put 75 to 100 hours on the boat, although many are solo. Can see Sue on the dock now.

Like to think with retirement only a couple of years away, the boating hours will increase again.

So that's my story and I'm sticking with it !!

Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #29
Top-Water

Quote:
I have a little boat history, .............Slocum’s Marina...............

Thank you, could not remember the name of this marina before Winnisquam Marine took it over. I always remembered this as mostly just a large boat house on the water, made out of that ribbed metal roofing material. (Is my memory correct on this?)

I have to believe our paths crossed many times on Lake Winnisquam in the 60's and 70's

The only picture I can find of it is one posted by mcdude in the photo gallery that also shows the second "Mosquito Bridge" including the old Jumping Jack drive in restaurant (by boat or car). Sadly lost when the new third bridge was built in the early to mid seventies.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/photop...=2249&sortby=f

Thanks to each of you.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #30
Woody38

I have owned several boats and yes they are expensive. What hobby isn't.
After being away from the water and without a boat I expressed to my wife my desire to be on the water. She bought me a boat and then we needed to find a place to enjoy it, she is not interested in boating but loves the beach and just relaxing by the water.

Whatever decision you make will be the correct one. ENJOY.

As Randolph Hurst said " something is worth whatever pleasure it brings you".

In that respect I've spent a lot and every penny was worth the pleasure.

As I told the boys decades ago the plan was to be broke when I passed.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

Best to all in the New Year.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #31
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I bought a place 2 years ago and bought a boat. The first year I used the boat quite a bit but last year not so much, and the weather was much better. Two of my kids were having babies last summer and I realized that I bought the boat mostly for them. My wife and I rarely go out in the boat alone. We bought two kayaks and we use them more than the boat.
I just bought a Seadoo PWC. If we like it I may buy another one and sell the boat. I'm hoping my wife and I will use it more when we are up there alone but I'm sure my kids will be up quite a bit this summer now. It's funny how no one's around when the boat has to come out of the water and be cleaned.
Personally, I feel a Pontoon boat is the way to go on lake Winnisquam. I had a place on that lake many years ago.
This is an old thread. We need an update, did he buy the boat?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:30 AM   #32
FlyingScot

We bought our lake house a year and a half ago. Our test drive of a beautiful Four Winns left us just lukewarm.

Instead(?), we bought a 19' Flying Scot day sailer. It's been terrific--easy to learn and really fun to sail. Plenty of room for 4, but no problem to solo. I think the thing we like most is that it's relaxing and fun, but still a more active process than a power boat. Also more peaceful and much cheaper.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #33
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
We bought our lake house a year and a half ago. Our test drive of a beautiful Four Winns left us just lukewarm.

Instead(?), we bought a 19' Flying Scot day sailer. It's been terrific--easy to learn and really fun to sail. Plenty of room for 4, but no problem to solo. I think the thing we like most is that it's relaxing and fun, but still a more active process than a power boat. Also more peaceful and much cheaper.
I'm on lake Waukewaun. The surfboard sailer seems to be growing in popularity on our our lake along with the always popular kayak.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #34
Dad sold the C * C

Default Year 3 update

It’s funny that this thread popped up, I was planning on updating it when I could get a picture of the “Fleet” this summer. As I and most of you knew we did acquire things that float

First, Top-water yes you are correct about the corrugated metal boat house, I was told most of that metal is used as an equipment shed in the area. Below is the boat that was stored there in the 60’s

The first year we rented multiple boats, 2 toons, Tri-toons and fiberglass ski boats. It really helped me make my mind up for what I wanted. I also found a “project” on Craig’s list (more on that later). One of our friends donated two very nice new sit-on-top kayaks; it only took giving them a “drawer” in the second bedroom

Year 2 and I finished my wooden kayak and unexpectedly bought a 23’ Premier Tri-toon mid-season. The Toon had the layout I wanted, the price was ok and was made much better by Winnisquam Marine when they took into consideration how many time I had rented from them for 5 years.

So for this upcoming year 4 I bought a trailer for my “project”, I still didn’t know if it would float and finally got it wet this past fall. It’s a 195? 12’ wooden runabout, I can not figure out the make, so any suggestion are welcome. The boat came with a 1954 15HP Evinrude that looks to be in good shape, but I’m having problems with the pressurized gas tank. I’m not sure what my plans are with this yet, as much as I’d like to keep the outboard vintage I would like the reliability of a newer motor.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:50 AM   #35
ApS

Quote:
"...So for this upcoming year 4 I bought a trailer for my “project”, I still didn’t know if it would float and finally got it wet this past fall. It’s a 195? 12’ wooden runabout, I can not figure out the make, so any suggestion are welcome. The boat came with a 1954 15HP Evinrude that looks to be in good shape, but I’m having problems with the pressurized gas tank. I’m not sure what my plans are with this yet, as much as I’d like to keep the outboard vintage I would like the reliability of a newer motor..."

The round chine suggests a 5-ply pressure-molded plywood hull. The steam process for plywood was derived from the British De Havilland Mosquito bomber in WW2. (Nicknamed the "Timber Terror"). Post-war, the process was established in Canada for custom boat plans. (Later purchased by '50s actor Roy Rogers and sold as "Yellow Jacket" boats—of which, a few can be seen on Lake Winnipesaukee).

These wooden boats tended to rot at the transom, so it's possible the hull was shortened to 12-feet to save it from the scrapyard.

OTOH, the presence of ribs would tend to rule plywood out, and "carvel-planking" in, which might make your boat older than the '50s.

Dad sold the C * C (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 06:49 AM   #36
Dad sold the C * C

Thank you Aps, it does have ribs and planking. Someone has done some strange modifications to the exterior but the interior seems to be original and in very good shape. The exterior has been epoxied but I can't see any cloth fiber.

My ideal plan is to get it on the water and under power this summer at a reasonable cost. Then depending on how it goes I'll tackle the finish and look into updating the motor and controls. For now I'd like to find an early to mid 60's OEM as they have a fuel pump and my current controls should connect easily.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dad sold the C * C For This Useful Post:
Bootkie2 (01-05-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #37
8gv

I wonder if the evelotion from the two hose fuel supply system on outboards to single hose includes an easy adaptation.

Could one retrofit a two hose motor with parts from the next generation?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #38
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

My first boat, when I was 12, was a plywood construction 12 ft runabout, flat bottomed, with chine strips. It originally was powered by a Scott Atwater (Scott Hotwater ) 16 hp. That engine ate spark plugs like I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Always had extra plugs with me, and had to change them after about a half hour or so of running. Ended up repowering with a 25 hp Johnson.
Boat leaked enough that I couldn't leave it docked overnight, or it would be on the bottom in the morning. I had a manual bilge pump that got a lot of use. Also had a drain in the transom that had a soda bottle plug as a drain stopper. I could reach back and pull the plug while under way to drain it out rather than pumping.
Talked to a friend of the family who owned a marina, and he told us how to fiberglass the seams and the bottom. That helped a lot.
I think I had the boat for a total of 5 summers. Great for fishing, or for swimming or scuba / snorkeling. Only had about 10-12 inches of freeboard.
Great boat when the lake was smooth or a small chop. Anything more, and you were taking your life in your hands.
Boat had a front deck, helm in the center, with a bench seat, no back rest. Great little boat for a kid. My friend had a small Boston Whaler that we used in rougher weather, or when we wanted to impress the girls.
The picture reminded me of my boat, but I didn't have the forward seat.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 01-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #39
ApS

Question Built from Plans...?

Quote:
"...So for this upcoming year 4 I bought a trailer for my “project”, I still didn’t know if it would float and finally got it wet this past fall.
It’s a 195? 12’ wooden runabout, I can not figure out the make, so any suggestion are welcome...
Small runabouts still appeal to me. From just a few years back, here's one in Wolfeboro's Back Bay:

Your boat could have been made from wood-boat plans featured in Popular Mechanics magazine.

New wood runabouts are still factory-manufactured today.

Back when I built my three wood boats, I came across Popular Mechanics magazine plans for a 10-foot runabout—especially since a 12-footer was "too much boat" for the budget. Still intrigued, I've kept the plans I bought back then. The plans are still available, and are cheaper today!