Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
Fishy Cover

Default Sociology of Motorcycle Week

It is always fascinating to observe how people in groups behave and I think it would be interesting to know how other forum members interpret the behavior of our guests during motorcycle week.

Sociology 101 teaches us that humans like to associate with others who have the same interests and attitudes as we do, and this fundamentally explains why so many motorcyclists come here at the same time. We also have a strong need to feel that 'my group is best" and a need to feel like one belongs to a group.

So they come here to be with each other and wear leather & have tattoos to show that they are a member of the group-- Ok I can understand this. But I wonder:

1. What do they do the other 51 weeks of the year?
2. Why do they like to ride so close to the center line?
3. Why does the motorcycle have to be so loud?
4. What role do excessive drinking and drugs play in the group?
5. Why are there so few women involved?
6. What role does the custom or extra chrome motorcycle play?

Last edited by Fishy Cover; 06-09-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
ITD

Getting my popcorn out for this thread.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
dragonfly03246 (06-09-2011), ironhorsetim (06-09-2011), jkjoshuatree (06-09-2011), KPW (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Rockdaddy

If You Have To Ask, You Wouldn’t Understand
Rockdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockdaddy For This Useful Post:
dragonfly03246 (06-09-2011), ironhorsetim (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
ironhorsetim

I also wonder what our guests think of us after spending their well earned money that they make the other 51 weeks of the year

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ironhorsetim For This Useful Post:
idoso (06-09-2011), Winnigirl (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default From the News today...

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...rcycle-rally/1

Some folks will do anything for a vote!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Gatto Nero

I don't consider myself what you probably think of as a "biker", but I have ridden for the past 35 years, I own two Harley's, and have been coming to Bike Week since the mid-80's. There are lots of people at bike week just like me, so I'll take a stab at this.

1. What do they do the other 51 weeks of the year? - They go about their daily lives just like everybody else. Go to work. Raise kids. Pick up the dog doo, hope that its hard.

2. Why do they like to ride so close to the center line? - One of the reasons is that the road conditions are generally better near the center line. The center of the lane tends have a lot more oil and sand that can really mess with a bike. The far left and right are usually in much better condition.

3. Why does the motorcycle have to be so loud? - Some will tell you that Loud Pipes Save Lives, which has some level of truth to it. You'd be amazed at the number of times people have cut me off because they didn't see me. If they can hear me they will tend to look twice and just maybe not take me out. Personally, I don't don't like them to be obnoxiously loud and I don't think most are, but I just love that rumble. I just got a new bike and I haven't changed the pipes out yet and it's driving me nuts. Sounds like a Honda. No offense intended. If that doesn't makes sense to you, please refer to Rockdaddy's response because that's the best I can do.

4. What role do excessive drinking and drugs play in the group? - Why do boaters drink when they get together, or golfers and anybody else?

5. Why are there so few women involved? - My wife rides with me all the time but other than a stroll through the Weirs once per year she's not comfortable with the atmosphere in the bars at Bike Week. So she stays home while I go watch the oil wrestlers at the Spoke. Go figure.

6. What role does the custom or extra chrome motorcycle play? - I'll, again, have to refer to Rockdaddy's response on this one.
AB_Monterey (06-09-2011), Argie's Wife (06-09-2011), dragonfly03246 (06-09-2011), Greene's Basin Girl (06-09-2011), GTO (06-09-2011), Happy Gourmand (06-09-2011), idoso (06-09-2011), ironhorsetim (06-09-2011), ishoot308 (06-09-2011), jkjoshuatree (06-09-2011), KPW (06-09-2011), Newbiesaukee (06-09-2011), NHBUOY (06-09-2011), Pepper (06-09-2011), rander7823 (06-10-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (06-09-2011), ronc4424 (06-09-2011), Slickcraft (06-09-2011), SteveA (06-09-2011), Sunrise Point (06-09-2011), tricia1218 (06-10-2011), VitaBene (06-10-2011), WakeboardMom (06-10-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-10-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Cover View Post
1. What do they do the other 51 weeks of the year?
Most of them lead normal lives.

Quote:
2. Why do they like to ride so close to the center line?
When I ride, I always keep my entire body and my entire bike on the right side of the center line unless I'm passing other vehicles or obstructions that block my lane. When I am approaching a right hand corner, I move as far as I can to the left so that I can see as far ahead and around the corner as possible. I move to the far right for left hand corners, for the same reason.

Quote:
3. Why does the motorcycle have to be so loud?
There's two reasons:
A. The owner just wants it to be loud.
B. The engine moves so much air per exhaust stroke that a quiet muffler would either have to be huge or excessively restrictive of horsepower.

Mufflers are sized based on the peak volume of exhaust gases that flow through them, and the amount they reduce noise. Narrow degree V-twin engines have huge instantaneous exhaust gas flow rates for a short duration, and then a very long duration of no flow. That huge gas flow rate requires a large or restrictive muffler to quiet effectively. A 1500 cc V-twin engine has instantaneous peak exhaust flow rates equivalent or higher than a 6 liter V8. Look at the muffler on a quiet truck with a 6 liter V8. That's the size muffler a 1500 cc V-twin would need to be powerful and quiet. Obviously, it would be hard to package on a bike, so the factory has little choice but to make the mufflers restrictive to keep the noise down to legal levels. If you replace the stock muffler with a louder and less restrictive part, and tune the engine to work with the new muffler, you can easiliy gain 30-40% more horsepower. That's a pretty good incentive.

4 cylinder engines produce substantially smaller peak exhaust flow levels becuase they have much smaller cylinders. They can be quiet and powerful with resonably sized mufflers Repalcing the stock muffler on the those with a less restrictive and louder part will typically yeild less than 10% more power than stock.

My bike is stock and quiet.

Quote:
4. What role do excessive drinking and drugs play in the group?
Same as any group, I imagine. Not my scene...

Quote:
The good looking ones are with the guys riding sport bikes.

Quote:
6. What role does the custom or extra chrome motorcycle play?
I imagine it's a way to distinguish one's self from the crowd. My bike is all stock except for some stainless steel fasteners and an added fender.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (06-10-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
I don't don't like them to be obnoxiously loud and I don't think most are
My guess is that because of the obnoxious and excessive noise made by most motorcyles you have either become imune to it or are deaf.
Motorcycles should be held to the very same standards as cars / trucks ! If my car / truck made as much racket as most motorcycles, I would get a ticket everywhere I went.
As far as the riding on the yellow line thing goes, I suspect there is some truth the the edges being better then the center but it also allowe's motorcycles to ride side by side, which should also not be allowed The size of the vehicle has Nothing to do with it. A motorcyle is a registered vehicle, Just like a car / truck You don't see 2 cars going down the road side by side but yet motorcycles get away with it.
I figure if the motorcycle riders want to ride down the road on the yellow line so can I and about the time one of them with his footpegs over into my lane clips my truck or catchs my mirror side the head than it gonna suck being them !!
Now with all due respect, they sure do bring alot of needed income into the area. They (not all) are loud, annoying, obnoxious, think the rules don't apply to them, they pass you on the right, sit there next to you at a stop light and rev their engines like a little kid but in general the week goes by faily quiicklly and then life goes back to normaL
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
jr616

Smile

Okay - So I am good with all of Gatto Nero's responses but I will address #5 from a female perspective.

According to the Motorcycle Industry Council: Female ownership of motorcycles crossed the 10-percent mark, increasing from 9.6 percent in 2003 up to 12.3 percent in 2008. Younger generations have even more female riders. Some 15 percent of Gen X motorcycle owners are women, and for Gen Y, it’s 14 percent. Among Gen Xers, women more than doubled their presence since 1998. Maybe most impressive, women accounted for 23 percent, or 5.7 million, of the 25 million Americans who rode a motorcycle last year. It’s not just a guy thing anymore, and greater acceptance among women means greater acceptance among key influencers of household spending decisions.

And those stats are from 2008. I have been riding since 2003. I have spent my hard earned money on two bikes since I began riding and would like to add another to my stall. I think if you pay very close attention in the coming week - you will see that there are more women out there than you think - and not just wrestling in oil.
jr616 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jr616 For This Useful Post:
wolfegirl (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Black Cat and Rockdaddy are right on.

An additional note on riding near the center line from a post I made in the past.

Quote:
I have taken both a basic riding class (long ago) and in recent years an experienced riders course. As a defensive measure, a single bike should ride on the left side of the travel lane on a two way undivided highway (about where a car left wheel rides). Riding on the right side invites car drivers to try to pass you in the left side of your lane. So riding on the left side “claims” your space in the lane. The middle of the travel lane is where the oil, pavement cracks, etc exist.

While many bikers do in fact crowd the center line, most are riding where a car left wheel would travel. And, I’ll add, most of us are responsible riders.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (06-10-2011), Sunrise Point (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
A motorcyle is a registered vehicle, Just like a car / truck You don't see 2 cars going down the road side by side but yet motorcycles get away with it.

They "get away with it" because bikes are a lot narrower than cars and it's legal.

I don't ride side by side, I like to have the use of my entire lane. I do, however, sit side by side at lights and such, just to take up half as much space as two bikes would in-line.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
hilltopper

I've posted it before and I'll post it again...

Unless we're talking about a REAL narrow, two lane road, riding the center line and riding the left side tire line of a car are two different things. There's generally plenty of room to ride between the center of a travel lane (oil drippings, fluids, etc.) and the double yellow line. Most bikers manage this just fine...

That being said, bike week doesn't bother this resident at all. A lot of years friends who I don't get to see very often will be in the area and will swing by and say hello. Enjoy Bike Week, and be safe!
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
ironhorsetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The good looking ones are with the guys riding sport bikes.
Now that depends on what you consider good looking

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #14
Gatto Nero

Quote:
My guess is that because of the obnoxious and excessive noise made by most motorcyles you have either become imune to it or are deaf.
I guess that would be one opinion, and you know what "they" say about opinions.

Quote:
As far as the riding on the yellow line thing goes, I suspect there is some truth the the edges being better then the center but it also allowe's motorcycles to ride side by side, which should also not be allowed The size of the vehicle has Nothing to do with it. A motorcyle is a registered vehicle, Just like a car / truck You don't see 2 cars going down the road side by side but yet motorcycles get away with it.
I figure if the motorcycle riders want to ride down the road on the yellow line so can I and about the time one of them with his footpegs over into my lane clips my truck or catchs my mirror side the head than it gonna suck being them !!
If there is no law against it then the size of the vehicle has everything to do with it. Two cars can't fit side by side in one lane but two bikes can. And not sure how or whythat would effect you in any so long as they stay on their own side of the road. I don't do it because it scares the crap out of me not to have the full lane in an emergency but I certainly wouldn't need to cross the center line to do it.

I'm certainly not condoning crossing the center line. There are idiots everywhere; on bikes, in boats and in cars and trucks. I supposed if you wanted to play chicken with some chucklehead on a bike crossing the center line you would, in fact, win. Congrats.
SteveA (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Woodsy

Quote:
Motorcycles should be held to the very same standards as cars / trucks ! If my car / truck made as much racket as most motorcycles, I would get a ticket everywhere I went.
Now with all due respect, they sure do bring alot of needed income into the area. They (not all) are loud, annoying, obnoxious, think the rules don't apply to them, they pass you on the right, sit there next to you at a stop light and rev their engines like a little kid but in general the week goes by faily quiicklly and then life goes back to normaL
MarkinNH...

Bike are held to noise statutes same as cars. Noise statutes are NOTORIOUSLY hard to enforce, but tickets are gievn out all the time for excessive noise. The problem with any noise is that its subjective... to sound absolutely awful! I dont care if its a harley or rice rocket most bikes do not sound good banging off the rev limiter! I never understood why some bikers when leaving a bar @ 2am find in necessary to bang thru the gears loudly. Especially after they have been drinking!

As for your side by side comment.... I ride where the car tires wear the road! its the safest place to be when riding. Some newbie riders ride right down the center of a lane right where most cars drip oil and other slippery substances! Your just asking for trouble! Same goes for the center divider... ride down the middle of that and you will find all sorts of sand and dirt and an occasional distracted car driver that can make you miserable real quick!

Most experienced riders do not ride side by side in a lane.... not alot of room for maneuvering! The best is side by side staggered.... this gives both bikes the ability to avoid a hazard while minimizing the risk of collision!

Hope that explains it all! Ride Safe!

Woodsy
Old 06-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
joann721

Default Dear Fishycover

As a women I think I can bring a different perspective to my answers to your interesting questions.

1.) what we do the other 51 weeks a year - is work fulltime jobs, pay taxes, raise our families, vote, and visit the lake on summer weekends to use our boat (pontoon) and ride the Harley

2.) The reason that they ride so close to the center line - is so that when they are turning corners they are able to have the best visibility of the traffic in front of them... try it in your car sometime... the best "biker" is an offensive driver... because if you make a mistake in your car - or pull out it wont just dent my bike - it could kill me - so I have to be very mindful of what your doing and where you are and the more time I have to respond the safer I am.

3.) It is an old bumpersticker but loud pipes save lives... it isnt just a saying it is the truth. When you have a silent bike/scooter beside you in traffic or passing you in another lane there is a greater possibility that in the blind spots of your mirror you are more apt to turn into them... which would be a very tragic situation.... but I agree some bikes are tooo loud... but pipes loud enough to be heard is truly a safety feature....

4.) Never does my husband or myself have more than one drink when we are on the bike... or driving our car for that matter... we are not irresponsible

5.) There are more and more women riders all the time. Some men do come to bike week with there friends...very few people at bike week are "gang members"

6.) Chrome is nice - it looks good - but it is a pain in the butt to keep clean..

now my question for you: Why are you grouping a very small percentage of
"gang" bikes into the majority of riders. Most of the people that we have met are middle age- middle to high income people- who enjoy riding... they are not peeing on your lawn or trying to seduce your daughter....

why not try your sociology 101 on Cigarette boat drivers... you could ask them the same question.... why are there boats "SO BIG" - does the blonde come with the boat ?

The reason that motorcyclists come "here" all at the same time is because it is BIKE WEEK and it loads up the coffers of the restaurants...hotels... and brings in revenue to Laconia and the surrounding area... if you dont like bike week then start some legislation to get rid of it...

PS I do have a leather coat - but you will never see my tattoo :-)

.... I hope I have answered your questions ....

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joann721 For This Useful Post:
idoso (06-10-2011), KPW (06-09-2011), Slickcraft (06-09-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-10-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
MarkinNH

[QUOTE=Gatto Nero;159578
so long as they stay on their own side of the road.[/QUOTE]

When their riding the yellow line with their foot peg and handle bar hanging over into my travel lane, their not staying on their side of the road now are they ?
As Ron White so eloquently put it. "You Can't Fix Stupid"
Old 06-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #18
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
When their riding the yellow line with their foot peg and handle bar hanging over into my travel lane, their not staying on their side of the road now are they ?
As Ron White so eloquently put it. "You Can't Fix Stupid"
Well with that in mind, I guess all, not most, but all people who trailer snowmobile trailers, camping trailers and boat trailers are stupid as well. I have never seen a trailer that has not gone over the yellow line. Should I walk around all day upset because all the trailers are riding, or are over, the yellow line when they force me over. No. I just get on with my life. Life is simply too short to worry about such little things...

BTW...I dare anyone that tows a trailer, to swear on a stack of bibles, that they never hug the line or go over the line, while trailering....ANYONE!
So what makes them any more special than a biker hugging the line?
And why don't people ask the same question of THEM?

And remember....you can't fix stupid!

Jus' sayin'.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Well with that in mind, I guess all, not most, but all people who trailer snowmobile trailers, camping trailers and boat trailers are stupid as well. I have never seen a trailer that has not gone over the yellow line. Should I walk around all day upset because all the trailers are riding, or are over, the yellow line when they force me over. No. I just get on with my life. Life is simply too short to worry about such little things...

BTW...I dare anyone that tows a trailer, to swear on a stack of bibles, that they never hug the line or go over the line, while trailering....ANYONE!
So what makes them any more special than a biker hugging the line?
And why don't people ask the same question of THEM?

And remember....you can't fix stupid!

Jus' sayin'.
I am exceedingly careful not to cross the yellow line with my boat in tow. Not saying I never have, but it's very rare and it's 8' 6" wide. As a hard-core motorcyclist with 25 years and 150,000+ miles of street riding experience, I can't imagine why anyone would willingly cross the center line with a bike, they are really narrow and it's dangerous enough on the correct side of the road.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #20
RailroadJoe

Don't knock the bikers. How many obey the speed limit (how fast can you go!), how about tail gateing (can you stop in time!), do you yield at yield signs and stop at stop signs (or do a Massachusetts rolling stop), and thiose double yellow lines on sharp curves while trying to talk on your cell phone. Really now, do we have to complain about bikers. Next time they stop some one for their 4th or 5th DUI, think about who is the better driver.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #21
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
I guess that would be one opinion, and you know what "they" say about opinions.
I think know that one... something about everyone has one?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #22
MarkinNH

Unfortunatly with the gathering of a mass of people like bike week is, it only takes 1 out of every 10 riders to set a negative example and it reflects poorly on them all.
I have just learned to stay away from the area as much as possible during bike week and then before you know it, the week is over.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #23
MarkinNH

Quote:
, Life is simply too short to worry about such little things...
Oh I will bitch about but I won't worry about it or loose any sleep over it. It's not me that's going to wind up on a slab in the county morgue.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #24
jkjoshuatree

Wink Bottom Line...

There are loud, obnoxious, rude, inconsiderate people from every walk of life.

Are there these types of people that ride motorcycles? Unfortunately, yes.

I know doctors, lawyers, pilots, soccer moms, bankers, cops, priests, garbage men (well, you get my drift) who are jack@#$es too.

But (fortunately) they are few and far between. Putting bikers into such a pigeon hole is degrading to them and shows ignorance on whoever is making the statement.

Doesn't matter where you are or who you encounter, you'll find good and bad everywhere. Smile and embrace them both. If they don't smile back, move on. Life is too short not to.

Plus, it's great for the Winnipesaukee economy.
idoso (06-10-2011), VitaBene (06-10-2011), WakeboardMom (06-10-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #25
Belmont Resident

Default Woodsy

I have to agree with NH on the noise. No where near enough is done to enforce noise and there are way too many excessively noisy bikes that go unchecked especially during the next week.

As for the old saying about riding down the center of the road, it really doesn’t apply as much as it did now that roads are repaved on a regular basis. I find very, very few roads that show any signs of oil drippings down the center. I believe this applied more back when many of the roads were sprayed with a tar oil combination rather then the paved roads of today.

As for bikes riding on or over the line the bike is always gonna loose. Either way dead is dead. It seems that with the increase in bikes riding the line the increase in head on collisions involving bikes has also increased.
Any fool who says they are making themselves more visible by riding the line is too close to the car in front of them. When I ride a safe distance behind the car or truck in front of me I can see and be seen just fine. Seems this same subject comes up every year at this time.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #26
NoBozo

Default Profiling

C'mon people: This is NOT complicated. There is no secret answer that needs to be addressed by some PHD who will never get near a Biker...because they are afraid.

Bikers putting down the boulevard are doing only ONE thing, and that..In their mind is just LOOKING GOOD. No more complicated than that.

They are part of a BIG group..BUT, they still have the need to be individual persons....to stand out in the group. Maybe the babe on the back will take off her shirt..

Custom airbrushed artwork on the tank and fenders...Are BIG. Anyone can do loud pipes and extra chrome.. First..Artwork on a relatively stock bike and then..... if you have a few extra grand..a totally Custom Bike built to order from the ground up. I can speak of this because I have a few miles under my butt. NB

Just to set the record strait..I am not a Biker. I am a Motorcyclist.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
NoRegrets (06-10-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #27
trfour

Thumbs up Moto Chics-Motorcycle Week...

Photos; WMUR9... http://ulocal.wmur.com/_Moto-Chics-M...320/63455.html

Some, just like to complain... Motorcycle week here in Laconia is older than most of Those what choose to do so...

And, think about it! Weir's would we all be without them!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #28
Fishy Cover

Default Great comments

Your comments are even more insightful than I expected when I started this thread and I am enjoying them. It's great to get so many diverse opinions and inputs from different perspectives.

Just so readers will know, I am not anti motorcycle or anti biker. In my 30 years in the Lakes region I have met many wonderful people who are motorcycle afficionados, and I really enjoy the spectacle of the whole bike week scene.

In the early 60's I owned a 150c Lambretta, tame by Harley standards but nevertheless fun and I was able to enjoy the freedom of the open road. What I remember most is the wonderful fragrances when passing lilacs or gardens, and the changes in temperature when going from a sunny area to a shady one or vice versa-- both experiences you do not get in a car.

I have also owned a 750cc Honda touring motorcycle, a 250cc off road Honda and a 250cc Yamaha also off-road.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #29
lawn psycho

Default Myth vs reality

A lot of bad info is flying...

First, the "Loud pipes saves lives" is and has been proven a myth. The Hurt Study (Hurt was the priniple investigator who recently died by the way) showed that modified cruiser bikes are over-represented in crashes. Those are the same bikes who use the loud and often illegal exhausts.
The same H-D crowd who cry for safety (and use it to claim a need for loud pipes) are the ones who don't where bright clothing and/or helmets. Until they do, cry me a river.
BMW riders are the safest on the road. Last time I checked they don't ride loud
Lie with all the stories you want but that fact is "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" is a myth. Fact.

Most of the riders who put the peg over the line are idiots plain and simple. It's not uncommon to see people veer towards them to brush them back. Its about attention, not safety or lane position. They don't need to be over that far. I also don't cross the center line when towing my boat.

Second, if anyone claims that just an exhaust and tune will net a 30-40% improvement in Hp make sure you ask them for the dyno sheet and precisely what was changed and WITNESS the bike and dyno. Probably a good time to wager some money too. I turn wrenches and have owned several muscle cars with major modifications done to them so if someone wants to spew horsepuckey I am going to call them on it. Straight pipes or pipes without baffles almost always drops the Hp of the bike as the exhaust can not be scavanged from the pipe on the adjecent cylinder(s).

The false claims about a pipe or exhaust magically creating huge Hp gains is just as bad in the car world as it is in the motorcycle world. Most pipes are bolted on simply to make the bike louder. The vast majority of bikes to not get a re-jet kit and/or the computer reflashed (ergo all the popping and cackling you hear from poorly tuned bikes) so the Hp claims are a moot point anyways.

To the OP's question, the majority of H-D bikes run modified exhausts. NH has the highest permitted motorcycle exhaust noise in the USA at 106 dB. From the factory they are 82 dB. It's vanity noise and they don't have to be loud. Te loud bikes got out of hand during the late 90s and early 2000s when everyone jumped on the H-D bandwagon. It used to be a few big rides a year. Now you can have a weekly "Ride for Retards" and still get a big crowd

NHcalm is working on the Seacoast to combat the loud bikes and I suspect it won't be long before the 106 dB is lowered to something realistic. My wife's family lives all along the seacoast and it's gotten bad with the H-D crown. Seriously guys, I am all for having a nice sounding machine but many of these bikes (yes, many) have gone to the point of being obnoxious. Many of those in the H-D rides wear ear plugs it's so loud. After revving a bike a couple hundred times over a couple hours you'd think it would get old but some of these guys are just like little kids. Every stop light, every stop sign, it's excessive revving and/or driving around with the bike two gears to low for what is needed. Give it a freakin rest.

A lot of the "look at me" mentality in the the H-D world has actually created tons of attention for themselves but it's not the attention they want. Rye, New Castle, Hampton, and North Hampton police were just in the paper recently and discussing a start to cracking down on bikes with loud pipes.

Bike week has gone from being about motorcycles to something else..... You decide if you want to participate. I personally just stay away as it's not my thing. Too bad NH can't find something better to replace it.

And for the record, I am a car and motorcycle enthusiast. I've had my motorcycle endorsement since I was 16 yo. I have owned many bikes but no longer do. Never owned a H-D as I think they're crap but that's my opinion. Heavy, poor handling, loud, slow, air-cooled fart machines

Whenever I see someone riding a H-D I deduct 20 pts from their IQ. A cigarette in the mouth and I deduct another 20 pts. Stereotypes exist for a reason
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
MarkinNH (06-10-2011), wolfegirl (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #30
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post

Whenever I see someone riding a H-D I deduct 20 pts from their IQ. A cigarette in the mouth and I deduct another 20 pts. Stereotypes exist for a reason
Luckily I quit smoking 17 years ago or I would be looking at a 40 point deduction!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:45 AM   #31
dpg

(or do a Massachusetts rolling stop),

I love it. Why is it everything wrong with N.H. started in Massachusetts. I mean this weekend lets all go out walking around downtown Laconia at 1:00 A.M. Oh wait they must ALL be Mass transplants, right???
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:55 AM   #32
NoRegrets

I truely love the week. I no longer have a motorcycle but enjoy seening the personalities exhibited by the bikes, cloths, tatoos, and persona's. The boardwalk stroll is absolutely amazing and never fails to bring a smile to my inner child.
Hope it is a safe year with little to no rain.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #33
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
I truely love the week. I no longer have a motorcycle but enjoy seening the personalities exhibited by the bikes, cloths, tatoos, and persona's. The boardwalk stroll is absolutely amazing and never fails to bring a smile to my inner child.
Hope it is a safe year with little to no rain.
If the Weirs were easier to get into and out of for normal people even I would be tempted to go for an hour or so. I hate the noise but would enjoy the sights and show. Unfortunatly it is so difficult to get anywhere near the Weirs it just isn't worth the hassle.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #34
VitaBene

Quote:
If the Weirs were easier to get into and out of for normal people even I would be tempted to go for an hour or so. I hate the noise but would enjoy the sights and show. Unfortunatly it is so difficult to get anywhere near the Weirs it just isn't worth the hassle.
Mark,

There is a shuttle that runs down from Harley or take the train!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #35
Lakesrider

'Now you can have a weekly "Ride for Retards" and still get a big crowd '

Wow.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
GTO (06-10-2011), rrr (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #36
Happy Gourmand

Default Lawn Psycho's "Ride for Retards"

...and you said you never go over the line. You made some good points....and then negated every bit of common sense and credibility with that inappropriate comment.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
GTO (06-10-2011), jkjoshuatree (06-11-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #37
hilltopper

Quote:
Well with that in mind, I guess all, not most, but all people who trailer snowmobile trailers, camping trailers and boat trailers are stupid as well.
Seriously? You're comparing an 8 foot wide trailer with a motorcyle?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #38
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Mark,

There is a shuttle that runs down from Harley or take the train!
We actualy did do the train several years ago and if we decide to venture there this year we will do it again by train. I can't imagine that a non motorcycle person(s) could ever get near the harley shop, nor would I even try.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #39
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Bike week has gone from being about motorcycles to something else..... You decide if you want to participate. I personally just stay away as it's not my thing. Too bad NH can't find something better to replace it.

And for the record, I am a car and motorcycle enthusiast. I've had my motorcycle endorsement since I was 16 yo. I have owned many bikes but no longer do. Never owned a H-D as I think they're crap but that's my opinion. Heavy, poor handling, loud, slow, air-cooled fart machines

Your name really lived up to this rant!!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #40
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Your name really lived up to this rant!!
I am going to guess that you ride an HD and smoke ?

In fact his post made alot of sense, carried alot of truth and came no where near being a rant. I have lived in the area for 45 years and bike week as it is now called has changed ALOT over the years and not all in a good way.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #41
jrc

I bought my first bike in 1975 when I was 14, I washed dishes all summer and saved $285 for a used Honda trail bike. I love bikes. I'm bored with bike week, nothing really to do but get drunk.

The noise is frustrating, the cops have given up on it. The old days was fun, tweaking noise for performance and to see how far you could go. Now, just throw on some straight pipes, and deafen everyone, cops don't care.

Have a great time this week, count me out.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #42
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
I am going to guess that you ride an HD and smoke ?

In fact his post made alot of sense, carried alot of truth and came no where near being a rant. I have lived in the area for 45 years and bike week as it is now called has changed ALOT over the years and not all in a good way.
Yes I ride a harley and NO I don't smoke. Ride for retards makes sense to you? His opinion on loud pipes being fact and myth? I can go on and on.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #43
Lakesrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Seriously? You're comparing an 8 foot wide trailer with a motorcyle?
I am not comparing anything except the fact that motorcycles are not the only thing that ride the center line.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #44
VitaBene

Quote:
I am not comparing anything except the fact that motorcycles are not the only thing that ride the center line.
Yes... ask the Moultonborough PD how many vehicles of all types touch the line. They are experts at spotting transgressors
Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #45
joann721

Quote:
A lot of bad info is flying...

First, the "Loud pipes saves lives" is and has been proven a myth. The Hurt Study (Hurt was the priniple investigator who recently died by the way) showed that modified cruiser bikes are over-represented in crashes. Those are the same bikes who use the loud and often illegal exhausts.
The same H-D crowd who cry for safety (and use it to claim a need for loud pipes) are the ones who don't where bright clothing and/or helmets. Until they do, cry me a river.
BMW riders are the safest on the road. Last time I checked they don't ride loud
Lie with all the stories you want but that fact is "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" is a myth. Fact.

I have to respond to this... you have typecast an entire group of people into a very convenient argument for yourself. I dont even know where to start- First of all- I wear my helmet - I do wear a leather jacket (guess that makes me a derelict - oh no - its black to... ) guess I could get one of those bright pink nylon jackets with a full face helmet with the light strips on them but I doubt that would make you happy because then my brightness would probably offend your eyes. How about I stick a glow stick to my helmet would that help... and for the record we have belonged to numerous "motorcycle clubs" and have a large group of friends who ride and never once in all the 100's of rides we have been on with our "GANG" have we revved our engines just to hear them make noise...are the people who peel out of bars and blast up and down the boulevard at 2 am idiots yes they are, no argument from me on that one. There is a difference between loud pipes and illegally pipes. Our bike is loud you know it is a Harley but it isnt going to rattle your windows or scare your poor dog. Ear plugs "really" - I cant hear my gangsta rap music if I wear them so I prefer to go commando - the people you are talking about are such a small group of people that it is a pointless argument.

As far as deducting IQ points... I will allow you to deduct 20 for my bike - sorry dont smoke cigarettes -only if you add 100 for my masters degree

PS your screen name is perfect - do you cut it with nail clippers or use a loud lawn mower

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joann721 For This Useful Post:
Gatto Nero (06-10-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #46
Gatto Nero

Hey ITD, how's that popcorn tasting?
WakeboardMom (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #47
ThePlut

Default ...

These types of threads never create any useful dialog, just more us vs. them mentality. You can't paint an entire group of people, who happen to enjoy a similar mode of transportation, using the same brush.

But for the record, I've read very, very little in this thread that could be confused with "facts" about motorcycles or the people that ride them. That someone else agrees with it, still doesn't make it a fact.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #48
Kamper

Are you guys sure two abreast isn't illegal for motorcycles? The term is called lane-splitting when cars are involved and I remember reading an article that is citable pretty much everywhere. I do admit though, when I rode with friend we frequently were side-by-side or only slightly staggered.

As for trailers... If you have never seen one NOT over the line, please open your eyes when driving. My experience is that a trailer over the line, only happens a small percentage of the time.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #49
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann721 View Post
"[B] have we revved our engines just to hear them make noise[/B
Then please give us a reasonable and justifiable explanation as to Why many bike riders (not all) sit at stop sign's and stop lights and rev their engines. As a person who many times has had to close my windows in an attempt to somewhat block out the obnoxious racket being made by the moron on his bike sitting there going VROOM VROOM VROOM VROOM I would really like to hear an answer.
Despite showing a blatent lack of respect and a total disregard for the people around them is there a necessary reason for this ?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #50
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Are you guys sure two abreast isn't illegal for motorcycles? The term is called lane-splitting when cars are involved and I remember reading an article that is citable pretty much everywhere. I do admit though, when I rode with friend we frequently were side-by-side or only slightly staggered.
I am now.

TITLE XXI
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 265
RULES OF THE ROAD
Special Rules for Motorcycles
Section 265:121
265:121 Driving Motorcycles on Roadways Laned for Traffic. –
I. All motorcycles are entitled to the full use of a lane and no motor vehicle shall be driven in such a manner as to deprive any motorcycle of the full use of a lane; provided, however, that 2 motorcycles may ride abreast in a single lane.
II. The driver of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.
III. No person shall drive a motorcycle on a roadway between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.
IV. Motorcycles shall not be driven more than 2 abreast in a single lane.
V. Paragraphs II and III shall not apply to police officers in the performance of their official duties.
VI. No person riding upon a motorcycle shall attach himself or the motorcycle to any other vehicle, except a sidecar, on the roadway.

Source. RSA 263:29-e. 1967, 443:1. 1981, 146:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1982; 479:49, eff. Jan. 1, 1982, at 12:01 a.m.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #51
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Then please give us a reasonable and justifiable explanation as to Why many bike riders (not all) sit at stop sign's and stop lights and rev their engines. As a person who many times has had to close my windows in an attempt to somewhat block out the obnoxious racket being made by the moron on his bike sitting there going VROOM VROOM VROOM VROOM I would really like to hear an answer.
Despite showing a blatent lack of respect and a total disregard for the people around them is there a necessary reason for this ?
I think you answered your own question.

Quote:
...obnoxious racket being made by the moron on his bike sitting there going VROOM VROOM VROOM VROOM
Old 06-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #52
joann721

Quote:

Hi Markin - I asked my husband your question and he thought about it for a minute and he said that when he had his previous bike it had a carburator that took quite awhile to warm up & get the idle to smooth out - and so he would rev it a few times while he was stopped at a light until it was warmed up. Now he has purchased a Meredith Police Bike - and that is no longer the case. He said his honest opinion is that most people who do this as you described - do it to get attention or to get a pretty girl to look at them.. if the bike is tuned and running properly, in his opinion, there isnt a reason to do it..

Old 06-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #53
hilltopper

Quote:
And I'm saying it's a lot more understandable when I see an 8 foot wide trailer on/very near the center line versus a 3 foot wide motorcyle.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #54
MarkinNH

Quote:
I think you answered your own question.
LOL I am afraid your right.
I know my posts make it look like I dislike All bikes and their riders when in reality I don't. Unfortunatly it is always the bad apples that stick in your mind and it again unfortunatly, taints your vision of the hobby and group as a whole. I think some bike riders have the same or similar mentality as those people who ride around in their cars with the stereo going BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM, thinking that everybody will hear me and see me and think I'm cool.
I also suspect that age and maturity or lack of, play a large role in how a rider acts and conducts themselves.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #55
tricia1218

I was about 18 and decided to visit my parents who have a camp on Paugus Bay on the Saturday of Motor Cycle weekend, this was about 20 years ago before there were state troopers every 10 feet. A big scary biker approached my car and asked if I had a light, I happened to and I said keep it, he took the lighter and walked a little further up to another group of bikers. A guy about my age and some of his friends approached my car, clean cut, no leather and started yelling stuff at me in the car, I think we all remember the days of “show em?” they would not leave and continued to yell, well here comes my friend the big scary biker with his friends, “is there a problem here fellas?” he asks. The younger guys mouths hit the ground and they all but ran away. So anyway long story, but try not to judge a book by its cover.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tricia1218 For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #56
John A. Birdsall

Default yellow line

Have you not noticed that the yellow line has bare tar/asphault between them? that is the bike lane. I am amazed that nobody on this has stated so.

Noise. I heard someone knock a Honda. Well we have had guests at the cottage that came up on a big honda and we did not hear it pull up. But that being said, we live north of Echo Point and motorcycles going down the road near Mt. Major have Echo's (duh Echo Point) and I suspect elsewhere around the lake is the same. My only fault with Motor cycle week is that its all night long and the yellow line. But for 2 weeks I think I can handle it.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote